PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in rifle in current conditions

andrew5
08-25-2021, 07:44 PM
Just wanted to hear everyone’s opinions on sighting in scopes ahead of the season on crown land right now.

It is well documented that it’s been a dry year. Even with milder conditions and some precipitation, I wanted to check in and see what the thought is on shooting in the backcountry right now. This came up in the rabbit hunting thread, where someone mentioned that even a .22 could potentially start a brush fire.

don’t even think of shooting right now?

shoot, but use common sense and don’t do it around dry grass, only shoot until you have a tight grouping, and (of course) pick up your brass?

New hunter here. Trying to learn and build up solid “best practices”.

thanks and happy hunting.

Gateholio
08-25-2021, 08:00 PM
Take a fire extinguisher and water with you. Go early in the morning, shoot into a sand bank or similar. After shooting break out lunch and do a 2 hour fire watch.

Fella
08-25-2021, 08:37 PM
Try to find a gravel pit or something. I shoot in a spot that was blasted out from the side of a mountain so it’s all gravel and there’s a 30 foot tall rock face with a gravel berm to shoot against. Shoot somewhere where there isn’t much of any brush or grass

HarryToolips
08-25-2021, 08:37 PM
^^^exactly, and that even follows the danger class rating of level 4 for any high risk work..I am responding to Gateholios comment..