PDA

View Full Version : Ear protection while hunting?

albravo2
08-24-2021, 11:16 AM
A couple of my hunting guns have brakes on them so I've been giving more thought to wearing ear protection while hunting.

I'm looking for something that fits in my ear and offers noise cancelling. I don't like passive earplugs because they block out important hunting sounds and I don't like the earmuff type because they look, well, silly.

Recommendations?

cameron0518
08-24-2021, 02:24 PM
What style of hunting do you do? I rely on my hearing while walking or hiking so would not consider it. If you go that way, comfort is key. I do recommend custom earplugs and they are similar price to a good pair of ear muffs

MichelD
08-24-2021, 02:40 PM
I have custom earplugs for waterfowling, but they are finicky to put in and take too long, so I just have foam plugs in every available pocket and the first thing I do when spotting a critter is put plugs in. I have no muzzle brake rifles but do have tinnitus and hearing damage so ear plugs are essential.

.330 Dakota
08-24-2021, 03:32 PM
Nope, need my hearing for hunting, especially in Grizzly country, and I hate muzzle brakes

albravo2
08-24-2021, 04:53 PM
The ones I'm looking for improve your hearing while hunting, then cancel the bang of the rifle when you pull the trigger.

There are lots on the market, I'm surprised more people haven't chipped in.

Greenthumbed
08-24-2021, 04:59 PM
I use ear plugs that hang around my neck. Always at the ready. When I come home from a day of hunting I hang them on the grab loop of my pack so I don’t forget them for next time.

tdot
08-24-2021, 06:33 PM
I have a set of the noise canceling ear buds. They both enhance sound below a certain dB threshold and then cut off all noise above a given dB level. I've been pretty happy with them, battery life is decent and I hear better with them in then my regular hearing. My only real complaint is that a significant portion of the ear bud is outside the ear, and they have been hit by branches, clothing, etc.

But I can shoot my braked rifles in the woods with zero issues. I wouldn't recommend them for range use.

Banker
08-24-2021, 06:39 PM
i am a big fan of the SWATCOM Active8 Waterproof Headset, Headband, Gel Ear-seals
Turn up the volume and you can hear everything clearly. They have directional microphones so you know where the sound is coming from in the field.
They are waterproof and very comfortable. I wear them for the full day out hunting. I don't know how long the batteries, 2 x AAA will last, but so far I have been wearing them at the range 2 hours a week for the last 6 months and 20 full days of hunting on the same set.
They also keep my ears warm in those late fall hunts.

whitlers
08-25-2021, 04:57 AM
Don't hunt with partners who use a muzzle brake.

I sometimes carry ear plugs around my neck but I will admit I forget everytime in the moment to use them.

beaverhunter69
08-25-2021, 05:25 AM
i am a big fan of the SWATCOM Active8 Waterproof Headset, Headband, Gel Ear-seals
Turn up the volume and you can hear everything clearly. They have directional microphones so you know where the sound is coming from in the field.
They are waterproof and very comfortable. I wear them for the full day out hunting. I don't know how long the batteries, 2 x AAA will last, but so far I have been wearing them at the range 2 hours a week for the last 6 months and 20 full days of hunting on the same set.
They also keep my ears warm in those late fall hunts.

+1, I started wearing earpro a few seasons ago for every type of hunting, waterfowl was a given but now wearing them for upland and big game. Tried howard leights (decent sound but not great for directional hearing and very uncomfortable when worn for long periods), peltor sport tactical 100 (very lightweight and comfortable, decent sound but instead of lowering the db for loud sounds it clips out the sound this was a huge drawback).

My hearing and ears are worth spending a bit of money and I love the SWATCOM Active8's that I bought. Super comfortable great directional sound. I don't shoot anything now without some sort of earpro on. The drawback for the hearing aid type ear pro is battery life. They charge by USB and you are out of luck if they randomly die on you where muffs have ridiculously long battery life and it's easy to keep a couple spare AAA's on you to pop in if the battery dies.

albravo2
08-25-2021, 07:13 AM
I have a set of the noise canceling ear buds. They both enhance sound below a certain dB threshold and then cut off all noise above a given dB level. I've been pretty happy with them, battery life is decent and I hear better with them in then my regular hearing. My only real complaint is that a significant portion of the ear bud is outside the ear, and they have been hit by branches, clothing, etc.

But I can shoot my braked rifles in the woods with zero issues. I wouldn't recommend them for range use.

Yours are the ones that got me thinking about this. What brand are they?

Hugh Mann
08-25-2021, 07:22 AM
I run an older pair of Walker’s Silencer earbuds. Noise cancelling, amplifies quieter sounds.

I wear them at the range and duck hunting. I don’t like them for big game hunting though, as they do nothing to cancel wind, so all I hear is woooooosh

Redthies
08-27-2021, 07:43 AM
I just keep a pair of 3M plugs in my bino case. If I am going to shoot, I put them in. If a quick shot is required, I “suck it up”. I know this isn’t ideal, but one or two trigger pulls a year on my relatively quiet rifles (.30-30 and 7-08 ) won’t ruin my hearing for life. I’m too old to die young, and my wife already says I have selective hearing, so...

albravo2
08-27-2021, 08:30 AM
I just ordered a pair of the Etymotic in-ear buds.

Will report after I receive and try them.

alpinedust
08-27-2021, 09:16 AM
I just ordered a pair of the Etymotic in-ear buds.

Will report after I receive and try them.
Didn't realize they make hearing protection. Had their passive noise cancelling earbuds, I was really impressed at their durability and sound quality, used them for a long time. What model you get?

Ohwildwon
09-05-2021, 09:35 PM
I wear Walker Razors..

Take a bit getting used to the amplified sound,

but once you do they are golden!

Also, when it starts getting cold, your ears are

nice and warm!

Huk
09-14-2021, 02:18 PM
Anyone tried these Axil GS extreme?

https://goaxil.com (https://goaxil.com/pages/gsextreme?fbclid=IwAR0dzxuTPap1p8Kbr40Xei4ibqVi-UiOFFZWjcjGID3oYfX7IsJMxRq0zBI_aem_AfXE70gcFDCDhqI q8llWwgBK2lWVO8gPmS5XhwuIHD7obI2Pv3pwLzkswvw8QjBiB v4gjKysKWZiRElt6Fbrlg9WCOfbbzOkDO7DVDupecjPwssMZKY 3fvRRbxFUjK4FQT0&utm_campaign=pr&utm_medium=paid_social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=static3)

jlirot
09-14-2021, 04:16 PM
For 130 bucks (US) these seem like a really good deal.

Anyone tried these Axil GS extreme?

https://goaxil.com (https://goaxil.com/pages/gsextreme?fbclid=IwAR0dzxuTPap1p8Kbr40Xei4ibqVi-UiOFFZWjcjGID3oYfX7IsJMxRq0zBI_aem_AfXE70gcFDCDhqI q8llWwgBK2lWVO8gPmS5XhwuIHD7obI2Pv3pwLzkswvw8QjBiB v4gjKysKWZiRElt6Fbrlg9WCOfbbzOkDO7DVDupecjPwssMZKY 3fvRRbxFUjK4FQT0&utm_campaign=pr&utm_medium=paid_social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=static3)

Livewire322
09-14-2021, 04:41 PM
A couple of my hunting guns have brakes on them so I've been giving more thought to wearing ear protection while hunting.

I'm looking for something that fits in my ear and offers noise cancelling. I don't like passive earplugs because they block out important hunting sounds and I don't like the earmuff type because they look, well, silly.

Recommendations?

You know what looks silly? Putting your aesthetics above safety.
If that really is your objection, you’ve got some growing as a person to do.

I wear Walker Razors for all hunting and shooting.
I encourage new shooters and hunters that tag along with me to wear noise cancelling ear-protection of some kind.

Huk
09-14-2021, 06:50 PM
For 130 bucks (US) these seem like a really good deal.
I’ll take that as a no.

I use Walker Razors as well

jlirot
09-15-2021, 10:01 AM
I’ll take that as a no.

I use Walker Razors as well

Hey Huk. It's a 'no'. I have a pair of custom plugs - I can't remember the company that made them. I found the recommendation on here. The company is in Surrey. They're awesome - but they're just passive and are a block. I put them in at the range or before I shoot while hunting. Previously I just used the foam plugs. They work almost as well but the custom ones are definitely better and more comfy.

I would really like something where you could hear. But as someone else noted - all I hear is wind etc if I use my walkers. And, they're not comfortable for hiking around. They are ok if you're sitting but then it's another damn thing to carry. So, now I'm back to just hanging the plugs around my neck and putting them in before I shoot.

If you're interested in trying out a pair - they have a pretty good deal if you buy 2 sets (199 US$). It's 20 bucks to ship to Canada or free if I take delivery at my PO Box in Blaine. I'd be willing to buy the 2 pair and split the price with ya.

ActionJackson017
09-15-2021, 10:23 AM
I use Walker Razors when at the range and in the field. I also use them while cutting my grass and weed eating to be honest. They're great.

Huk
09-15-2021, 12:09 PM
Hey Huk. It's a 'no'. I have a pair of custom plugs - I can't remember the company that made them. I found the recommendation on here. The company is in Surrey. They're awesome - but they're just passive and are a block. I put them in at the range or before I shoot while hunting. Previously I just used the foam plugs. They work almost as well but the custom ones are definitely better and more comfy.

I would really like something where you could hear. But as someone else noted - all I hear is wind etc if I use my walkers. And, they're not comfortable for hiking around. They are ok if you're sitting but then it's another damn thing to carry. So, now I'm back to just hanging the plugs around my neck and putting them in before I shoot.

If you're interested in trying out a pair - they have a pretty good deal if you buy 2 sets (199 US$). It's 20 bucks to ship to Canada or free if I take delivery at my PO Box in Blaine. I'd be willing to buy the 2 pair and split the price with ya.

Thanks for the offer, but I ordered a pair to try out. I found a 50% off discount code.. GSEXTREME50 if anyones interested

Stranger In The Woods
09-15-2021, 02:39 PM
https://www.walkersgameear.com/electronic-muffs/

jlirot
09-15-2021, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I ordered a pair to try out. I found a 50% off discount code.. GSEXTREME50 if anyones interested

Hmmm. The discount code doesn't work for me. But thanks for the share!

Huk
09-15-2021, 05:43 PM
Hmmm. The discount code doesn't work for me. But thanks for the share!

I figured it out. GSEXTREME35 is 35% off when buying 1. GSEXTREME50 IS 50% off when buying 2

jlirot
10-23-2021, 12:05 PM
I figured it out. GSEXTREME35 is 35% off when buying 1. GSEXTREME50 IS 50% off when buying 2

How are the ear buds?

Huk
10-23-2021, 03:23 PM
How are the ear buds?

Very comfortable, wore them for over 5 hours at the range one day. Could hear the guys talking over a couple bays, but the shots were very quiet. Don’t get the wind noise like I do with the Walker Razors. Probably around 15 hours now and haven’t charged them since my initial charge. I didn’t connect the Bluetooth because I don’t listen to music or want to talk to anyone on the phone when at the range or in the bush. Put them in and forget about them. I was half way up the hill leaving the range when I remembered I still had them in.

The Hermit
10-23-2021, 04:23 PM
I have a set of low profile muffs that enhance hearing and instantly block loud noises... great for waterfowling and I might try them in a treestand with the bow. I've been seeing these advertised heavily on FB and am tempted. anyone try them? If you do please let em know how they work out for you. Thanks

https://goaxil.com/pages/gsextreme?fbclid=IwAR2vR2uIQ06J0EuXLxStgkj8_S0CaqT z6xjhnnYO_zNyDLPuLK5Iz4BojVw&utm_campaign=pr&utm_medium=paid_social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=static3

firebird
10-23-2021, 04:54 PM
Had a pair of $300 custom noise canceling in ear buds and I lost them so it’s back to foam ones when I remember. But as mentioned above they float around in various pockets. Buy them at the hardware store by the bucket lol

jlirot
10-23-2021, 06:18 PM
Very comfortable, wore them for over 5 hours at the range one day. Could hear the guys talking over a couple bays, but the shots were very quiet. Don’t get the wind noise like I do with the Walker Razors. Probably around 15 hours now and haven’t charged them since my initial charge. I didn’t connect the Bluetooth because I don’t listen to music or want to talk to anyone on the phone when at the range or in the bush. Put them in and forget about them. I was half way up the hill leaving the range when I remembered I still had them in.

Thanks! I'm going to order a pair. Your review sounds exactly like what I'm looking for! Much appreciated.

bcsteve
10-23-2021, 07:59 PM
Also post your review when you get them, sounds promising.

coleman
10-24-2021, 05:44 AM
Awesome review. I’ve been looking for something similar to these. I might give them a try. I was hoping for something without the cord between but if it doesn’t get caught on much it can be dealt with.

Huk
10-24-2021, 08:09 AM
I didn’t have an issue with the cord. You can tighten it up to make it shorter, also comes with a clip to attach to the back of your shirt.

jlirot
10-24-2021, 09:38 AM
Ordered today. I have delivered to my Blaine PO Box so should have it in a couple of weeks. I'll post after trying them out.

M1SF1T
08-28-2022, 09:06 AM
Thinking of picking up the Axil GS X 2.0s.

Anyone tried the newer version?

Any more comments from you guys that have had the original GS X over the past year or so?

Not looking to use at the range, just in the field

oddsix
11-09-2023, 08:15 AM
Any long term reviews on the Axil earpro? Anyone try ISOtune?

I've got bad tinnitus and a damaged ear drum, shooting without earpro is not an option. Wondering if there are any other brands folks would recommend? Willing to spend some coin for quality ones.

Thanks