PDA

View Full Version : GPS Questions ?

Arctic Lake
08-21-2021, 10:54 AM
So I’m considering buying a GPS . Not sure how much I want to spend , but I probably would not buy a very basic model but not the absolutely highest priced one either . I would like one for navigating and use it in case of emergency , if they have that function .

I currently have a an ICOM handheld radio for some safety aspects and an older cell phone but I don’t have a data plan , I just use my cell for texts and calls , basic plan and that’s all I need . Don’t know if that helps for you fellas making recommendations
As Always Thank You !
Arctic Lake

Wentrot
08-21-2021, 12:23 PM
I had a garmin explorer+ that served me well, I upgraded to a garmin 66i and love it even more. Both are inreach units. The explorer model is a fairly basic GPS but did it’s job of not letting me get lost and allowing me to keep in contact. The 66i allows for the much better mapping as well as accepting the backroads chip. The 66i is up there in price, however.

RyoTHC
08-21-2021, 01:18 PM
66I here as well, both myself and my hunting buddy have it and neither of us would even consider anything else.

mike31154
08-21-2021, 03:56 PM
I like my Garmin Montana. Had an Oregon for years. Rugged units. No emerg function though. Topo Canada loaded that I purchased when I had the Oregon.

MichelD
08-21-2021, 04:11 PM
I had a garmin explorer+ that served me well, I upgraded to a garmin 66i and love it even more. Both are inreach units. The explorer model is a fairly basic GPS but did it’s job of not letting me get lost and allowing me to keep in contact. The 66i allows for the much better mapping as well as accepting the backroads chip. The 66i is up there in price, however.

I got the explorer + as well.

Arctic Lake
08-21-2021, 06:53 PM
So when you buy a device like the Explorer or 66i do you need a plan that makes it operational ?
Sorry fellas I don’t know a thing about them !
Arctic Lake

HarryToolips
08-21-2021, 08:42 PM
Become proficient with a compass and using the sun to navigate and save the$$ for better glass...

PM me if you want some pointers...

upperleftcoaster
08-22-2021, 12:30 AM
So when you buy a device like the Explorer or 66i do you need a plan that makes it operational ?
Sorry fellas I don’t know a thing about them !
Arctic Lake

nope, you can use it as a stand alone GPS if you like. you have to pay for the plan for SOS and texting.

i have the inreach explorer+. with the app its a pleasure, easy to set waypoints and trips. you can get by with free apps like Canada Topo, but they tend to drain your phone battery quickly.

the cheapest option is the inreach mini, but you have to pair it with your phone and use the app for messaging, or its just a big SOS device.

obviously nothing beats real navigation skills, but i got the inreach for the SOS and texting. let's me keep hunting as my wife knows i'm A-OK and can check in with her. worth every penny.

Wentrot
08-22-2021, 05:02 AM
Become proficient with a compass and using the sun to navigate and save the$$ for better glass...

Lol he asked for something he can use in case of emergency. A compass isn’t going to help him if he’s laying in a bush somewhere needing help or has a vehicle breakdown and needs to let family know he’s safe. The piece of mind an Inreach gives is huge.

kootenaycarver
08-22-2021, 06:23 AM
as a navigation GPS, any of the Garmin 60 series units work very well ( 60, 62 64) Good used ones come up often on classified sites. Usually less than $200.

HarryToolips
08-22-2021, 07:01 AM
Lol he asked for something he can use in case of emergency. A compass isn’t going to help him if he’s laying in a bush somewhere needing help or has a vehicle breakdown and needs to let family know he’s safe. The piece of mind an Inreach gives is huge.

Sorry didn't see that part..you are right, for that I use a SPOT, can't write specific texts but for has A OK messaging as well as assistance needed and SOS... And it's a good price so definitely an option to consider there Arctic Lake..

Arctic Lake
08-22-2021, 09:54 AM
Thanks again fellas ! I’m reading your replies !
Arctic Lake

MichelD
08-22-2021, 11:12 AM
nope, you can use it as a stand alone GPS if you like. you have to pay for the plan for SOS and texting.

i have the inreach explorer+. with the app its a pleasure, easy to set waypoints and trips. you can get by with free apps like Canada Topo, but they tend to drain your phone battery quickly.

the cheapest option is the inreach mini, but you have to pair it with your phone and use the app for messaging, or its just a big SOS device.

obviously nothing beats real navigation skills, but i got the inreach for the SOS and texting. let's me keep hunting as my wife knows i'm A-OK and can check in with her. worth every penny.

Exactly. My Mrs. is a lot more comfortable with me off alone when I've got the Explorer. It has three short pre-set free messages too so I can send daily "Everything is okay" messages as well as two others. Mine are: #1. Got here fine. #2. Everything is okay. #3. Staying one more day.

Even with the cheapest monthly plan with the Garmin Explorer + you can send ten short email messages home if you want to provide a little more detail on your trip. My wife was gratified last year when I informed her that my buddy had found my camp and joined me.

Those messages also indicate to the recipient the exact location you are sending from.

I am not sure off the top of my head if the pre-set messages include your exact GPS coordinates.

I hardly used the GPS function last year, but last month on a hiking trip I tried it out. It's pretty basic compared to many others, but it is way more than I ever had before.

I'm not a big spender, in fact I have never spent $600.00 on any hunting gear before, not for a rifle, scope or binoculars. But in this case, the $600 or so I spent on my Explorer +was well worth it.

MikeSlayer
08-22-2021, 12:30 PM
For the last year I have been using the inreach mini. In order to text and have the SOS features you do need a monthly plan. I pair it with my iPhone, which I always bring for photos, video, ebooks, etc. The Earthmate app. on the phone is a good interface that allows you to text and received weather updates. The phone also seems to have a pretty good GPS ability without service and the inreach powered off. Plus it is small and light.

Overall very happy with it.

alpinedust
08-22-2021, 09:40 PM
What do the monthly plans cost for these (explorer/inreach) units?

Wentrot
08-23-2021, 06:15 AM

https://discover.garmin.com/en-CA/inreach/personal/#subscriptions

jlirot
08-23-2021, 10:00 AM
Here's my dos centavos. I'm sure there will be 10 guys jump in with exactly the opposite experience but here is mine.

I bought a 66i about a year (maybe 2 now..) ago. It's a rocket ship. It can do everything. But, it's also a hot mess. Garmin bought InReach - and I think some other companies and cludged everything together.

You can do a lot of neat stuff with it on your phone - after you figure out the clunky system. You need to have 2 apps running on the phone or laptop (connect and explore) in order to make it sync. THen you can do some stuff only on the explore app - some only on the connect app- and some only on the unit. Also, don't bother trying to connect with the cord. 3/4 of the USB cords don't work - even Garmin sent me several in hopes that at least one would work. Fortunately, you can do all the updates etc wirelessly - even though I didn't think that was very clearly explained.

You really want to use the phone (or ipad) app with it. It is so much easier to scoll and zoom through maps on your phone than on the unit.

I have used Garmin a lot because I had units on boats for years from way back in the 90's. If I didn't have that experience I would find using the unit extremely frustrating - and even with my experience I sometimes get a bit exasperated with the damn thing.

I do really like the web portal that they have for your laptop. It's kind of cool. But, again - it's not intuitive and they have a bunch of outdated software (basecamp for example) that they no longer support, still make available, but don't do a good job of explaining or migrating you to the newer software.

I carry it for the SOS button. I spent a few days off grid with my 10 year old. He always knows where the unit is - and how to use it. When we put on our waders or grab a pack - I tell him where it is on my person (along with my keys, cell phone, and anything else relevant BTW) and make sure he knows how to use it. We even sometimes run through the scenarios (for example - 'if I couldn't talk or fell down what do you think the right action would be?').

It's nice to be able to send texts but I find that I use that feature A LOT LESS than I thought I would. Even off grid for a couple of days I think I sent 3. All anyone needs is a quick 'I'm safe'. We can catch up on stuff when we get back in cell range. :-) But that's me. YMMV.

I set up my truck so the 66i has a mount/charger on the dash. Then I sync it with a small ipad that is also mounted on the dash. My son and I spent several days driving around exploring and we found we preferred using Gaia about 90% of the time. THe only time the Garmin was better was if we hadn't pre downloaded a map for a certain area. In that case, the Garmin was far superior because we already had the maps in it. BTW I have BRMB on both the garmin and Gaia. BRMB definitely worth the money.

I wish Garmin would buy Gaia and just move to the Gaia system for mapping. Then I think we would have the best of both worlds.

If you're in Vancouver or can catch me when I'm up at my cabin near Kamloops I'm happy to let you play with the unit and software.

Arctic Lake
08-23-2021, 10:08 AM
WOW ! Sorry but some of that went over my head as I have never used a GPS of any kind ! It seems to me that a 66i would not be for a novice to the GPS scene . Ease of operation will be key for me in what I purchase .I know myself and I tend to catch on slower than most with things .
Arctic Lake
Here's my dos centavos. I'm sure there will be 10 guys jump in with exactly the opposite experience but here is mine.

I bought a 66i about a year (maybe 2 now..) ago. It's a rocket ship. It can do everything. But, it's also a hot mess. Garmin bought InReach - and I think some other companies and cludged everything together.

You can do a lot of neat stuff with it on your phone - after you figure out the clunky system. You need to have 2 apps running on the phone or laptop (connect and explore) in order to make it sync. THen you can do some stuff only on the explore app - some only on the connect app- and some only on the unit. Also, don't bother trying to connect with the cord. 3/4 of the USB cords don't work - even Garmin sent me several in hopes that at least one would work. Fortunately, you can do all the updates etc wirelessly - even though I didn't think that was very clearly explained.

You really want to use the phone (or ipad) app with it. It is so much easier to scoll and zoom through maps on your phone than on the unit.

I have used Garmin a lot because I had units on boats for years from way back in the 90's. If I didn't have that experience I would find using the unit extremely frustrating - and even with my experience I sometimes get a bit exasperated with the damn thing.

I do really like the web portal that they have for your laptop. It's kind of cool. But, again - it's not intuitive and they have a bunch of outdated software (basecamp for example) that they no longer support, still make available, but don't do a good job of explaining or migrating you to the newer software.

I carry it for the SOS button. I spent a few days off grid with my 10 year old. He always knows where the unit is - and how to use it. When we put on our waders or grab a pack - I tell him where it is on my person (along with my keys, cell phone, and anything else relevant BTW) and make sure he knows how to use it. We even sometimes run through the scenarios (for example - 'if I couldn't talk or fell down what do you think the right action would be?').

It's nice to be able to send texts but I find that I use that feature A LOT LESS than I thought I would. Even off grid for a couple of days I think I sent 3. All anyone needs is a quick 'I'm safe'. We can catch up on stuff when we get back in cell range. :-) But that's me. YMMV.

I set up my truck so the 66i has a mount/charger on the dash. Then I sync it with a small ipad that is also mounted on the dash. My son and I spent several days driving around exploring and we found we preferred using Gaia about 90% of the time. THe only time the Garmin was better was if we hadn't pre downloaded a map for a certain area. In that case, the Garmin was far superior because we already had the maps in it. BTW I have BRMB on both the garmin and Gaia. BRMB definitely worth the money.

I wish Garmin would buy Gaia and just move to the Gaia system for mapping. Then I think we would have the best of both worlds.

If you're in Vancouver or can catch me when I'm up at my cabin near Kamloops I'm happy to let you play with the unit and software.

Wentrot
08-23-2021, 10:15 AM
The explorer was my first gps, so I also had next to no experience with the 66i. It is incredibly easy to use, not “clunky” at all? I have also never had an issue with the cord, and only need the explore app to sync. Also have no difficulties using it without my phone-which was my main reason for buying it, I got tired of pairing my phone to the old explorer for the better maps.

srupp
08-23-2021, 11:31 AM
WOW ! Sorry but some of that went over my head as I have never used a GPS of any kind ! It seems to me that a 66i would not be for a novice to the GPS scene . Ease of operation will be key for me in what I purchase .I know myself and I tend to catch on slower than most with things .
Arctic Lake

Hey buddy..send me a PM with phone number I will call you on myour dime at your convenience..first individual in Cariboo to have a civilian GPS..HUGE SLOW BASIC..however it did work..today's units are light years ahead..small sophisticated and blistering speed..newest isn't always best ie Garmin 700 series..tradeoffs.
Emergency comunication devices been a SPOT rep for ? 11 12 years
Cheers
Steven

jlirot
08-23-2021, 12:22 PM
@artic - you can play with my 66i if you want. I'll even lend it to you for a few days if you want to use it on your own.

RyoTHC
08-23-2021, 12:57 PM
@artic - you can play with my 66i if you want. I'll even lend it to you for a few days if you want to use it on your own.

If I’m closer to you than he is Artic, you can also try mine out. I even have a screen protector to keep it safe ^^

J_T
08-23-2021, 01:47 PM
I bought the inReach Mini and have used it for about a year plus.
I got the Exploration Freedom plan. Costs $70/mo but it has no other costs. What I do like about it, I stop the plan for 9 months after hunting season. No cost. I start it up again in the summer and run monthly on it until I'm finished backcountry hunting.

upperleftcoaster
08-23-2021, 02:50 PM
I will upgrade my garmin plan to the yearly subscription soon. Ended up using it and the texting 12 months as I always happen to be outside. Worth it, also like the flex plans you can put it on pause for $0.

I haven’t priced out the zoleo yet but it looks promising. Just gonna smoke what I got for now

Ride Red
08-23-2021, 04:17 PM
I will upgrade my garmin plan to the yearly subscription soon. Ended up using it and the texting 12 months as I always happen to be outside. Worth it, also like the flex plans you can put it on pause for $0.

I haven’t priced out the zoleo yet but it looks promising. Just gonna smoke what I got for now

Used my Zoleo on our sheep trip this year and have to say I’m impressed. Links to satellites quickly, just open the app and it’s ready to use. Texting is quick and flawless; can’t say anything but I’m happy with Zoleo.

By the way, I sent way more messages than I’d thought, they shot me a note to bump up my plan and it was instantaneous. That also saved me money; great service. :)

Arctic Lake
08-23-2021, 04:49 PM
Thanks to jlirot and RyoTHC for offers on your willingness to let me try your device ! Firstly I think you fellas are too far away from little old Haney .
I’m going to have a look at YouTube and see if there is some clips on there to get a better understanding of GPS ,s and the 66i.

Mr. Rupp Thank you for your offer I have talked to you a couple of times concerning hunting always willing to help out others . I will PM.
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
08-29-2021, 10:15 AM
I need to learn how to use a compass and map together . I went to an MEC clinic years ago but found it useless and zero one on one . Do you know of a good You Tube vid ? I can use my compass for direction of travel but that’s about it .
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
08-29-2021, 10:18 AM
I think I may have missed something here . Do you need a cell phone with Data with a GPS device or do you use the GPS with its own plan . A lot of you keep saying you use your GPS and your cellphone combined , opening apps etc . Aaghh !
Arctic Lake

Hugh Mann
08-29-2021, 10:31 AM
66I with backroads maps.

ungodly expensive, but worth every single penny. Hit that SOS button once and it immediately pays for itself a hundred times over.

Hugh Mann
08-29-2021, 10:35 AM
At least with the 66I I use, you don’t need data aside to download the app. It’s not necessary, but let’s you look at the maps on your phone, which is easier than the GPS. Set waypoints, tracks, all that sort of thing. With the 66I you can also send, and recieve Inreach messages from your phone, as well as access your phones contacts. Quite handy.

mike31154
08-29-2021, 09:22 PM
I think I may have missed something here . Do you need a cell phone with Data with a GPS device or do you use the GPS with its own plan . A lot of you keep saying you use your GPS and your cellphone combined , opening apps etc . Aaghh !
Arctic Lake

Welp I have no idea about combined use. For me it's either or. I may carry both but for dedicated navigation in an unfamiliar area my GPS is the go to device. It's what it's designed to do, not a multi purpose device like a phone, which should ultimately be used as such IMO, a phone. My GPS much more rugged than dainty cell, even with a cover. When things get wet, my GPS will be fine, phone maybe not so much.

Arctic Lake
08-31-2021, 10:27 AM
Again Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply !
Arctic Lake

upperleftcoaster
09-01-2021, 03:57 PM
Phone pairs with the GPS via Bluetooth. No cell signal or data required. Assuming your app is up to date and you’ve downloaded all the maps you want to your phone.

GPS has no plan for normal use.

SOS feature and texting/email on the inReach units require a subscription

if you have the inReach explorer / 66i or similar it is a stand alone unit but pairing it with your phone makes the experience a lot nicer. I keep mine on the backpack and use my phone to interface with it.

Arctic Lake
09-09-2021, 08:10 AM
Thanks again to all who have replied !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-09-2021, 08:24 AM
#1 For those in the know ! Would you say that the InReach Explorer Plus would be a good unit or put out the extra money for a 66i ?

#2. It’s been mentioned that the 66i will accommodate the Backroads Maps . Can the In Reach Explorer Plus accommodate Backroads Maps as well !

Thank You !

Details would be greatly appreciated !
Arctic Lake

boxhitch
09-09-2021, 08:38 AM
Maybe check out the Garmin Earthmate app
It can be used with a phone or tablet instead of just the Inreach unit
then no need for a gps
https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?partNumber=010-EARTH-APP&tab=videos

Dannybuoy
09-09-2021, 08:58 AM
#1 For those in the know ! Would you say that the InReach Explorer Plus would be a good unit or put out the extra money for a 66i ?

#2. It’s been mentioned that the 66i will accommodate the Backroads Maps . Can the In Reach Explorer Plus accommodate Backroads Maps as well !

Thank You !

Details would be greatly appreciated !
Arctic Lake
The inreach explorer has the earthmate app that it pairs with , I don't think it will download BC back roads maps .... The earthmate maps show elevation details but not roads . Anything I save on the GPS shows on my tablet that I paired with . I don't have a smart phone or I would pair that with the GPS

Arctic Lake
09-09-2021, 09:12 AM
Boxhitch. Do I need Data on my phone for the Earthmate app to work ? I don’t have data on my cell phone .
Thanks
Arctic Lake
Maybe check out the Garmin Earthmate app
It can be used with a phone or tablet instead of just the Inreach unit
then no need for a gps
https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?partNumber=010-EARTH-APP&tab=videos

DesiMunda
09-09-2021, 09:13 AM
I’ve had three GPS’s over the years and I just don’t like using them…they go through batteries too fast, screens too small, navigating through them is cumbersome and how many devices do we need to carry, learned to travel lite and lost all the dead weight. We all carry cell phones, and I’ve been using “Hunt Buddy” app with the downloadable maps and you don’t need cell coverage for it to work. I just love it, no batteries to replace and has all the features I needs.

1) I currently use an iPhone 11 with a Hunt Buddy app….I even have an old iPhone 6 (with no plan) that I slap on my quad and the app works great.
2) I have a Garmin - GPSMAP 64st (paperweight)
3) I have a Magellan eXplorist Hunt 350H - (paperweight)
4) I have a Garmin etrex venture HC - (paperweight)

Don’t waste your money. I did; however, invest in a satellite communicator….took a tumble just recently when I was out with my son on his youth hunt. Just some bruises but all good, a wake up call nonetheless. After great deliberation, I bought a Zoleo, again it works with your phone. The inReach is too cumbersome and similar to my paperweights mentioned above. Just my opinion only..

boxhitch
09-09-2021, 10:35 AM
Boxhitch. Do I need Data on my phone for the Earthmate app to work ? I don’t have data on my cell phone .
Thanks
Arctic LakeNo, the Inreach is your link.
Think of the phone/tablet as a large monitor

other apps and functions can be had on a phone w/o data just by sitting at T Hos and using their wi-fi to link to websites