PDA

View Full Version : Who has hunting nightmares?

Panzerfauste
08-20-2021, 07:31 AM
So probably once a month I have some sort of reoccuring hunting nightmare about shooting an illegal animal or getting injured by a stray bullet or arrow.

The most recent one started out as a pretty good dream. My friend and I were hunting, he was showing me you could fly a kite with a picture of a decoy on it to lure mulies into the open (dumbest thing I've ever heard lol) but sure enough a monster buck shows up mixed in with a group of does and I take a bad shot wound it. After a long trail we find it and it is actually a really small elk that was hanging out with the mulie does and my heart sinks. I proceed to freak out for a bit then wake up.

Other ones I've had are shooting a huge buck but then realizing the season doesn't start for 2 more days. Yada yada.

Does anyone else have hunting gone wrong dreams?

warnniklz
08-20-2021, 08:05 AM
Mine usually consist of having a girlfriend or wife telling me I can't go.

Have had one where I got bit by a tick and blood started gushing out of my mouth and nose.

Driving over a cliff has been pretty regular since I was small

RyoTHC
08-20-2021, 08:15 AM
One perk to never dreaming, no nightmares. Maybe that’s why I never doubt myself haha

wideopenthrottle
08-20-2021, 08:41 AM
I only dream if I have more than 7 or 8 hours sleep ...the 6 or 7 hours of sleep I normally get is abruptly interrupted by my alarm clock

digger dogger
08-20-2021, 09:08 AM
I have this re occurring nightmare, about every 3-4 yrs I go sheep hunting, and I come home with no ram. Haha
Then about every 2-3yrs, i have this nightmare I go hunting and have to pack 2 to 3 loads of meat and capes for miles.
Seriously tho, no hunting nightmares.

I do smoke my share of weed, so its rare I remember my dreams, but if I wake up straight from a dream I can remember it.

wideopenthrottle
08-20-2021, 09:43 AM
https://theprovince.com/pmn/news-pmn/being-chased-losing-your-teeth-or-falling-down-what-science-says-about-recurring-dreams/wcm/7d92e313-12b9-4ef1-8996-f64fe2a916e1

story in the news related to your thread

Imdone
08-20-2021, 10:11 AM
Grizz attack in a back woods trapper cabin....... Oh wait ........
That was only a Mouse running across my down bag.

Rob Chipman
08-20-2021, 11:24 AM
I'm like Warnkilz - I have nightmares that I can't go enough.

mrdoog
08-20-2021, 11:52 AM
I'm like Warnkilz - I have nightmares that I can't go enough.

sounds like you need more fibre in your diet

Downtown
08-20-2021, 12:39 PM
Wait till you actually shoot a wrong Animal. You have no Idea what Nightmare starts once the CO Service gets involved.

Cheers

Stroodle
08-20-2021, 12:49 PM
I had a reoccurring dream since I was a young teenager - same story exactly in the dream every time, only the back ground changed. I would be hunting and spot a grizzly bear a long ways off and it would be walking slowly towards me. I would back away and loose sight of it, next thing it would be coming over the hill directly in front of me in a full run. It would get right up in front of me and then jump on me. I would wake up myself, and the rest of the house, as I tried to shout - which was in actuality was only a loud whine apparently. This happened about once every couple months for years and years. 2 years ago while on a northern hunting trip my dream (nightmare) came to reality - I mean exactly like my dream up until it was supposed to jump on me. I spotted this large griz above me on a cliff about 300yds away. It just hung out for a while and then jumped down and started coming very fast and then I lost sight of it. There was a small roll just in front of me (where in my dream it would suddenly appear and then get me) This time, in real life, it stopped below me and I was able to retreat without further incident. Very scary moment as I had an elk quarter on my back as well! The interesting part is, since that day, I have not had this dream any more?!?

HikerHunter
08-20-2021, 06:17 PM
in my dream i walked around a shack to see a nice deer buck, turned to tell my buddy, "hey look" and when i turn i see a grizzly bear standing on its hind legs right behind be. bear ankle picks me like tony ferguson and flips me in the air and when i land back on the ground is when i got startled awake. couldnt get back to sleep after that one.

j270wsm
08-20-2021, 08:32 PM
Never had a hunting nightmare but I have had dreams/images of successfully hunts the night before going hunting and being successful.

tuner
08-20-2021, 09:04 PM
Mine usually involve uncut tags.

Deer_Slayer
09-05-2021, 08:31 AM
I have dreams about a successful hunt...but they rarely ever come true. So I guess they are nightmares now.

twoSevenO
09-05-2021, 08:47 AM
Nope. But I often wake up stressed out that I'm late for an exam for a course I enrolled in and kind of forgot about all semester and panic

I've been out of university for 12 years

boxhitch
09-05-2021, 09:18 AM
Sort of hunting related, recurring dream of being stressed out trying to pack for the flight in, or loading of pack string, or crew change, and struggling to find something that I want to take or missing a piece of baggage
Basis is the struggle of finding/remembering/loading all the right items, various scenarios

Often wake up when I realize I am standing naked in front of others, go figure

Imdone
09-05-2021, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=boxhitch;2279376

Often wake up when I realize I am standing naked in front of others, go figure[/QUOTE]

I was In The Pool I Was In The Pool !

How embarrassing LOL

sabourin
09-05-2021, 10:42 AM
A few nights ago I dreamt I was on my moose hunt and was about to pull the trigger, but then remembered that I forgot my tags at home... It was a sad moment until I woke up

wiggy
09-05-2021, 03:54 PM
Ya big moose 250 yards broadside. Click boom. He’s still staring at me. Click boom. He’s still staring at me. Click he’s moving boom he walked away.
Horror ��

caddisguy
09-06-2021, 01:30 PM
I have had reoccurring dreams about hunting and flyfishing.

The general theme seems to be that I only have a little time to get ready and hunt before it gets dark, then something goes wrong, like I forget something, can't find something or get held up in some way that I run out of daylight before I get to start hunting. If only my mind could figure out it's legal to night hunt in dreams.

I don't think I have ever actually caught a fish or harvested an animal in any dream. I don't think any were actual nightmares, theme is always just a little frustration and disappointment.

One time I had a nightmare while I was asleep at camp. I dreamed I was in some slum getting robbed and screamed at the top of my lungs. Scared the heck out of caddisguy. Thank goodness my brother camped 20 yards away didn't hear because of the loud creek. Probably would have jumped out with a rifle.

Deer_Slayer
09-11-2021, 06:07 PM
what were you hunting?...lol or should I ask

downsouth204
09-12-2021, 11:37 AM
I'd say get your stuff in order, know exactly when the seasons are, write a cheat sheet, or use i hunter. it also comes in handy for knowing exactly what region, and area you are in via your phones gps.
Spend time observing and glassing animals in the summer so you know what you are seeing when the moment comes.
Make sure your rifle and/or bow is set up and sighted in properly and you're certain of that fact. Practice as much as you can in the off season until you're confident in the type of shot you're going to take hunting.
Run through the sequence of events in your mind many times as to what you're going to do when the moment comes. Spot it, identify if its legal and what you're looking for, make sure its a respectful and ethical shot, and then take the time to do it right. Unless you're starving, better to pass than screw it up. Make a hard decision to follow your plan, and maybe your bad dreams will go away :)

HappyJack
09-12-2021, 01:49 PM
Someone said don't drink milk before bed it'll make you dream. I have more dreams if I sleep more than 6 hours it seems. Quite often have hunting dreams, in the field bearing down on a nice bull/buck but usually wake up on the shot. Sometimes when out hunting we have those deja vu moments, sure seems like it happens in locations from my dreams.

browningboy
09-12-2021, 02:27 PM
Have night,ares of running out of beers, whiskey and ice too early!