PDA

View Full Version : programming Baofeng with file?

tripleseven
08-19-2021, 10:41 PM
am i correct in my understanding that (with the proper cable) programming a Baofeng UV-82 is as simple as sending a file with the BC channels in it? if so, would anyone be so kind as to help me with the file? i'm expecting the cable any day now. i have a trip deep into northern BC looging roads, and having worked in forestry, i know how critical it is to call kms.

happy to buy a case of beer for the trouble!

Redthies
08-20-2021, 05:24 AM
You can also print a cheat sheet of the RR channels and dial them in when you hit the dirt. There are way more RR channels than there are presets on that radio. Unless you have a ham license, your illegal anyway, so having user programable is kind of like speeding with a tail light out.

But that being said, if you find someone to help you with this, I know a guy who might be interested in getting a couple programmed as well.

tyler-brown
08-20-2021, 06:18 AM
I have the baofeng Uv-5re8w. It was literally as simple as downloading a program called chirp on my computer (free) uploading the file to it, plugging it my radio to the computer and adding the file to it. Very easy to use. Shows which freq. Is on which channel. User friendly program I would say.

And it might be illegal. But I would say never enforced. And near impossible to enforce. Better to be safe than sorry and have a radio on those roads.
I also believe they should make the licenses more user friendly and have a "weekend end warrior " license option, one time fee. Rather than a yearly renewal. I think it would encourage people to actually get a license than. Heck, I know I would.

adriaticum
08-20-2021, 07:16 AM
I could never understand why people want to program their baofengs.
Just do what Redthies says, use frequency mode and punch the channel whenever you need it.
Have a list of channels on your phone or print it.
It's simple.

MRP
08-20-2021, 07:28 AM
Getting a Baofeng is like putting a junk scope on your sheep hunting rifle. You can do a lot better for a few dollars more.

moosecaller
08-20-2021, 07:46 AM
You Tube walks you through the programming. Easy to follow instructions.

wallz
08-20-2021, 09:31 AM
When I did mine a few years back, google search helped me find the file with the channels.
Few minutes later, radio good to go.

Yes they all fit on the radio, and simple quick scroll to proper RR channel.
I use the A/B to have the next road I branch off, so a quick 1 button press and onto the next road.
I have Ladd, and several other channel programmed in, and they all fit.

Last weekend on Sat, came across a single buncher working along the road, he had posted his frequency on a sign board. A few seconds later, I safely passed, and I'm sure he was happy to know there were no surprises as he was working. I don't think he was expecting anyone, but he sure sounded relieved when I called out to him, and was able to pass safely when he stopped for a minute to let me pass by.

Bugle M In
08-20-2021, 09:43 AM
Yup, use CHIRP.
I did have a few frustrating moments, when i had to do several radios at the the same time using a "saved file".
Was pretty close to sending them flying into the wall.
But i did figure it out eventually.
Get the cable.

tyler-brown
08-20-2021, 10:26 AM
I have a file that was sent to me from a HBC member that has the channels all pre programmed.. If you would like it, I can send it to you when I am home next. I find it much easier than fumbling for a piece of paper, or your phone to look up freq. Channels. And an analogy if putting an expensive scope on a rifle, I just don't understand. That would only make sense if you'd already spent money on a radio. But you haven't. Most people I know start off with affordable/cheap and see what their needs are. Either upgrade the hand held (which is still only so good for transmitting/receiving distance) or to a truck mount which will actually go the distance if so desired.

Redthies
08-20-2021, 02:31 PM
Getting a Baofeng is like putting a junk scope on your sheep hunting rifle. You can do a lot better for a few dollars more.

Some would argue buying a Motorola or Kenwood or Icom is a waste of money because the Baofengs do the same job for a fraction of the cost. On 9 out of 10 things, I’m a “buy once, cry once” type of guy, but I see the appeal for the cheaper radios if you are just using them occasionally on a forestry rd. If you are regularly 20 miles offshore in your 25’ boat, or working under a heavy-lift helicopter for work by all means, spend on a high quality radio set. If your calling out km markers on the few weekends a year you deer hunt, the Bf is totally fine. If you are a fulltime road hunter that drives logging roads all day long, all season long, to hunt, get a good radio, with a license, or better yet, get a life!! ;)

huntingfamily
08-20-2021, 02:46 PM

Agreed. I've done the Baofeng thing and still have 2 of them with some extra kit. They were hit and miss most of the time. Upgraded to an Icom unit a couple years ago and it's night and day much better. Much longer range and consistent quality. Think I paid $250 for a used unit pre-programmed. 128 channels with all of the RR's, Oil & Gas, etc.
YMMV

westcoaster
08-20-2021, 04:44 PM
Everyone keeps justifying the use of radios in the name of "safety" yet they place their lives in the hands of the shittiest, least suitable product on the market....

MRP
08-20-2021, 05:03 PM
Agreed. I've done the Baofeng thing and still have 2 of them with some extra kit. They were hit and miss most of the time. Upgraded to an Icom unit a couple years ago and it's night and day much better. Much longer range and consistent quality. Think I paid $250 for a used unit pre-programmed. 128 channels with all of the RR's, Oil & Gas, etc.
YMMV

Yes.

Everyone keeps justifying the use of radios in the name of "safety" yet they place their lives in the hands of the shittiest, least suitable product on the market....

you bet

Pioneerman
08-20-2021, 06:13 PM

And you keep sounding off about it every time too , I guess we are all broken records. Funny you have recommended other expensive brands before, so that is ok, but not these ones . Do you sell radios? The majority of all your posts are on this subject. I know people who have been using these Baofeng for a very long time and none have ever failed or been a problem, and side by side with "name brands" they transmit and receive just as well for a fraction of the cost

westcoaster
08-20-2021, 06:50 PM
Funny you have recommended other expensive brands before, so that is ok, but not these ones . Do you sell radios?

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension....

The only recent post where I suggested an expensive make of radio was This post: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?147279-radios-used-on-logging-roads&p=2270790#post2270790
The question was, what is LEGAL.
I didn't answer a question on what works and is cheap....

Pioneerman
08-20-2021, 07:08 PM
I saw your multiple posts many times, on this subject, hard not too

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension....

The only recent post where I suggested an expensive make of radio was This post: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?147279-radios-used-on-logging-roads&p=2270790#post2270790
The question was, what is LEGAL.
I didn't answer a question on what works and is cheap....

westcoaster
08-20-2021, 07:25 PM
I saw your multiple posts many times, on this subject, hard not too

Well that's a good thing then....

Pop quiz for you just to see if you have been paying attention.

Does an amateur radio license qualify you to transmit on the resource road frequencies?

REMINGTON JIM
08-20-2021, 08:05 PM
I just bought a new in box Baofeng UV-5R fully programmed today for $70 I will test it out tomorrow and report tomorrow night . RJ

Pioneerman
08-20-2021, 08:57 PM
We all know the answer officer. But again you tell people to buy more expensive which still have the same guidelines. So do you work for a company that sells top end radios not affordable cheaper ones that work fine also

Well that's a good thing then....

Pop quiz for you just to see if you have been paying attention.

Does an amateur radio license qualify you to transmit on the resource road frequencies?

Redthies
08-20-2021, 09:41 PM

I work with Motorola and Icom radios at work on a daily basis. Have done since 1989. My personal radios? Baofengs. And guess what? In years of use, the Baofengs have transmitted and received EVERY time I or my hunting partner push the PTT. Are the Motorola units we use nicer? Sure. Are they 10x the cost? Yup.

westcoaster
08-20-2021, 11:56 PM
We all know the answer officer. But again you tell people to buy more expensive which still have the same guidelines. So do you work for a company that sells top end radios not affordable cheaper ones that work fine also

No, I don't own or work for a company that sells radios.
No, I am in no way connected to the radio business professionally.
As I have stated on here before, commercial radios are simply an interest of mine. (hobby?)

What had motivated me to post so much lately (seemingly to your consternation) was the blatant false information and lack of understanding on the legalities of using a radio on the resource road frequencies.
At a minimum, at least understand what laws you are breaking and what the consequences are should you get struck by lightning and get caught with an illegal radio... Yup, I agree, the chances are slim to none of being checked. Still though...

I'll say again, I'm not telling you to follow the law, What I am attempting to do is tell you what the law is and the consequence of not following the law. You can then make the choice for your set of circumstances.
Acceptable risk for you may be unacceptable risk for the next fellow. At least he would be able to make a decision based on correct information rather than the misinformation that has been posted elsewhere in this forum.

As for my first post in this thread, If a fellow was truly motivated to get a radio for safety, then do the safe thing and do it right. A properly programmed radio installed professionally by a shop. The price tag should be irrelevant if it is truly a safety concern. Really, they are not that expensive....

If you want to dick around and see what owning a radio is about, test the waters so to speak, call a spade a spade, you are willing to risk dead batteries or dead spots or an improperly programmed radio in the name of saving a few bucks, I'm ok with that. What I'm not ok with is selling it as THE answer to someone's safety concerns.
Are Baofengs "A" solution, yes they are and I am sure they work quite well. Are they "THE" solution for safety... No, they are not.... Is a Kenwood, Icom or Motorola portable radio THE solution? No, it is not....
I really don't believe having a ~5 watt radio (any brand) with a rubber duck antenna sitting inside a steel cab down in a cup holder has the range necessary for proper communication under all circumstances. Sure, it will work ok under most circumstances.

Stresd
08-21-2021, 08:36 AM
I really don't believe having a ~5 watt radio (any brand) with a rubber duck antenna sitting inside a steel cab down in a cup holder has the range necessary for proper communication under all circumstances. Sure, it will work ok under most circumstances.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. Which is why you should use this cheap little magnetic roof top antenna to easily quadruple your range. As I have stated before. When running with a group on a RR road. My mobile Icom 2300H is used to keep contact with the other trucks in my group. I also run at the same time a Baofeng with a little magnetic roof antenna loaded with the RR channels and calling the mileage and relay any info to the other trucks in tne group that do not have the same setup. If running by myself I also have preloaded all the RR's into My Icom so use that instead. And at 65 watts. It makes the trip. I see the price has gone up. used to be 12 bucks. https://www.amazon.ca/Bingfu-136-174MHz-400-470MHz-Magnetic-Compatible/dp/B07X2LK2NL/ref=sr_1_14?crid=2W8JXL9EGASXI&dchild=1&keywords=baofeng+antenna&qid=1629559613&sprefix=baofeng+an%2Caps%2C282&sr=8-14

Redthies
08-21-2021, 09:07 AM
Thanks @Stresd. I ordered one. MY safety is totally worth $13.99!

:D

Stresd
08-21-2021, 05:41 PM
Also found the using using a corded mic plugged into the handheld makes it much easier to use in a vehicle. $11 https://www.amazon.ca/BaoFeng-BF-Speaker-MIC-5REPLUS/dp/B00BYMKKT4/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2D6RX35NWVFQI&dchild=1&keywords=baofeng+microphone&qid=1629592075&sprefix=baofeng+mic%2Caps%2C284&sr=8-11 I always pack a couple spare antennas, mikes and Handhelds for vehicles that don't have any communications set up, and traveling with me on a road trip. Radio $33 off aliexpress and another $25 for Remote antenna and mike. So for under $60 bucks you have a very, very basic setup for having the ability to communicate when driving the backroads, or any other road for that matter.

REMINGTON JIM
08-21-2021, 06:37 PM
I used my new UV-5R Radio today to chat with my Buddy and so far so Good ! WE did not get into any mountainous area's or very far apart so need a LOT more testing ! RJ

MIne has RR1 -RR35 LD-1 - LD-5 DOWNIE WELDWOO BCTS PT 2 LADD 1 2 3 & 4 FRS-1 -FRS-22 KEL-MILL KEL-YRD KEL YRD M1 - M-4 CG - M13 M15 M16-911 WEATHER MARINAS BC CG

91 total !

LOTS in it - Good Or Bad ? :wink:

Redthies
08-21-2021, 07:23 PM
Also found the using using a corded mic plugged into the handheld makes it much easier to use in a vehicle. $11 https://www.amazon.ca/BaoFeng-BF-Speaker-MIC-5REPLUS/dp/B00BYMKKT4/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2D6RX35NWVFQI&dchild=1&keywords=baofeng+microphone&qid=1629592075&sprefix=baofeng+mic%2Caps%2C284&sr=8-11 I always pack a couple spare antennas, mikes and Handhelds for vehicles that don't have any communications set up, and traveling with me on a road trip. Radio $33 off aliexpress and another $25 for Remote antenna and mike. So for under $60 bucks you have a very, very basic setup for having the ability to communicate when driving the backroads, or any other road for that matter.

I have the remote mikes for mine too. The only thing with the antenna is it WILL up the chance of getting checked for radios/licenses by “the man” from virtually non-existent to possible.

Stresd
08-21-2021, 07:49 PM
I have the remote mikes for mine too. The only thing with the antenna is it WILL up the chance of getting checked for radios/licenses by “the man” from virtually non-existent to possible.

I only use the mag Handheld if in a group on an RR road. Other than that I have always had an almost 4' long 5/8 wave baseload VHF antenna mounted on a front hood lip mount of my trucks since 2008. First for my 2200H and now for my Icom 2300 H. Never been stopped for the antenna. And it is a hell of a lot more noticeable than a small 12" mag mount on the roof. Been pull over by the cops and gone through numerous road blocks and road checks. Both by the CVSE and the Mounties and in all those years, no one has ever question my Antenna or Vhf radio. Lucky me maybe. But no one seems to think it is a big deal, as long as you are not creating havoc or cross channeling everyone on the airwaves.

Redthies
08-21-2021, 07:55 PM
Yup. That’s the truth. Use your radio with thought and respect and you are unlikely to draw unwanted attention. Be all over the airwaves cursing and acting like a dick, and people will get pissed off and report you. It won’t be easy for the authorities to find you, but they might look...

REMINGTON JIM
08-22-2021, 07:47 PM
My new UV-5R Radio is 5 watt and i need another similar one UV-82HP with 10 watt's - nearly the same price - is it BETTER to be getting it ? or a UV-S9 RJ

Stresd
08-23-2021, 08:13 AM
Very little if any real world distance gain with those so called 8 & 10 watt output claims. In fact the couple I have tested were lucky to be in the 6 watt ouput range. Lots of online vids show and confirm the same testing that I did on these cheaper handhelds. When opened up they seem to be pretty much UV-5R's in a different case.

Pioneerman
08-23-2021, 08:30 AM
My new UV-5R Radio is 5 watt and i need another similar one UV-82HP with 10 watt's - nearly the same price - is it BETTER to be getting it ? or a UV-S9 RJ

I have friends that have the UV-5R and it works well and they are not rushing to change, but I have the UV-82HP and when both radios are together the 82 did receive and send to another radio further away that the 5R did not even pick up. So for what ever reason it might look similar inside the 82 performed a better, it was worth the extra few bucks. I believe the 82 is 8 watts , not 10, have to double check

Redthies
08-23-2021, 09:43 AM
82HPs are switchable from 1 to 5 to 8 watts (low, med and high power modes).

Redthies
08-23-2021, 09:45 AM
I have friends that have the UV-5R and it works well and they are not rushing to change, but I have the UV-82HP and when both radios are together the 82 did receive and send to another radio further away that the 5R did not even pick up.

What sort of distance and what sort of terrain?

Pioneerman
08-23-2021, 11:01 AM
What sort of distance and what sort of terrain?

Would not matter if it was across the ocean or in the Rockies for that test the 82 was better than the 5R, it was comparison between the two in identical conditions, but this was out Nanaimo lakes up past 4 th lake to a friend at Echo lake, about 12 kms, with only one low ridge between us

tripleseven
08-25-2021, 07:19 PM
ok, thanks for all the feedback. the industry canada website for RR frequencies i found (RR — British Columbia Resource Road Channels - Spectrum management and telecommunications (https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11127.html)) only has one frequency listed, but the baofeng software is looking for receive and transmit. Any suggestions on what's going on?

Thanks!

westcoaster
08-25-2021, 08:36 PM
ok, thanks for all the feedback. the industry canada website for RR frequencies i found (RR — British Columbia Resource Road Channels - Spectrum management and telecommunications (https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11127.html)) only has one frequency listed, but the baofeng software is looking for receive and transmit. Any suggestions on what's going on?

Thanks!

Receive and transmit frequencies are the same number when used on the resource road frequencies. (simplex) That is why only one number is published.
The resource road frequencies are also narrow band (12.5Khz) There should also be a setting for that in the channel programming of the radio.

As an explanation: repeaters would use different transmit and receive frequencies. That is why that setting is in the radio.

Redthies
08-25-2021, 08:49 PM
Would not matter if it was across the ocean or in the Rockies for that test the 82 was better than the 5R, it was comparison between the two in identical conditions, but this was out Nanaimo lakes up past 4 th lake to a friend at Echo lake, about 12 kms, with only one low ridge between us

It would totally matter the conditions. I was curious about the range you were getting with each. The 82 has almost double the power of the 5R so it’s always going to work at greater distances.

tripleseven
08-25-2021, 09:54 PM
Receive and transmit frequencies are the same number when used on the resource road frequencies. (simplex) That is why only one number is published.
The resource road frequencies are also narrow band (12.5Khz) There should also be a setting for that in the channel programming of the radio.

As an explanation: repeaters would use different transmit and receive frequencies. That is why that setting is in the radio.

appreciate it westcoaster.

if i had the funds i'd definetely buy a better radio. having worked on northern roads, i fully understand the safety of communicating with loaded haul trucks. i know first hand the range difference between a 5 watt handheld with stubby antenna and truck 25 watt radio. the handheld barely serves a purpose with it's limited range, but it's something if you call frequently.

As it stands now baofeng is what's in my budget, and something is better than nothing. i also understand simplex vs duplex, and know you know what you're talking about. if you have a used truck radio for a reasonable price, pm me. i dont live on the mainland, and wouldnt likely use for than a week or two a year.

westcoaster
08-25-2021, 11:35 PM
appreciate it westcoaster.

if i had the funds i'd definetely buy a better radio. having worked on northern roads, i fully understand the safety of communicating with loaded haul trucks. i know first hand the range difference between a 5 watt handheld with stubby antenna and truck 25 watt radio. the handheld barely serves a purpose with it's limited range, but it's something if you call frequently.

As it stands now baofeng is what's in my budget, and something is better than nothing. i also understand simplex vs duplex, and know you know what you're talking about. if you have a used truck radio for a reasonable price, pm me. i dont live on the mainland, and wouldnt likely use for than a week or two a year.

When a fella fully comprehends the differences and what needs to be done to compensate, you'll find no argument from me....
The external antenna posted earlier will definitely help...
Meanwhile, I'll continue to promote doing things the proper way if possible while understanding/accepting that for some people compromises have to be made....

Good, Fast, Cheep. You can only pick two.... If you want it good and cheep, you won't get it fast.... Keep an eye out in the local adverts or in a pawn shop. Something will eventually turn up for the right price. Meanwhile, use the baofeng...

Alberta seems to have quite a few VHF radios on Kijiji
Here is an example:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-car-audio-gps/grande-prairie/kenwood-2-way-radios/1581070313?undefined (I don't know the seller and am in no way affiliated)
Used Kenwood 2-Way radios for sale
Kenwood nx700k - 30 watt, 512 channel capacity 4 Available - $250 each
Kenwood TK7180k - 30 watt, 512 channel capacity 1 Available - $250
Kenwood TK7180hk - 50 watt, 512 channel capacity 1 Available - $275
Kenwood TK7360hk - 50 watt, 128 channel capacity 2 Available - $200 each
Radios come with unit and mic only, no external antenna. All radios have been tested and can be hooked up and checked prior to purchase

$200 for a TK-7360 (current radio model) is pretty reasonable....

Redthies
08-26-2021, 08:57 AM
I grabbed an external antenna for my 82 the other day. I was getting 5-6 kms of reception in the Okanagan mountains last fall, which is plenty for me to pull out and wait for a loaded truck to pass, which is my MO. I don’t usually call out my kms, as I am not authorized to be on someone else’s channel. I DO keep a very close ear on any and all downhill traffic. I think I mentioned before that any authorized vehicles I pass, or that pass me while I’m pulled out will announce my location on the road. If it’s a really heavily travelled road, I will call my kms.

I will stop and chat with any workers I see on the road and ask them if they would like me to call out on their channel. I talked with a grader operator last fall who was super happy I stopped to chat. He said 95% of hunters fly past him swearing at him for “scaring away all the animals”. He told me about a huge wolf that would come out and sit on a big rock and watch him work for hours at a time. He also told me where he consistently saw deer hanging around. I know it’s not always a possibility to interact with the guys working on these roads (especially on the super busy ones, but I avoid those like the plague), but it’s all part of having a better time in my experience. They have a lot of time on the ground in those areas.

Pioneerman
08-26-2021, 09:05 AM
It would totally matter the conditions. I was curious about the range you were getting with each. The 82 has almost double the power of the 5R so it’s always going to work at greater distances.

NO it was comparing apples to apples, so in exactly same conditions it performed better. So providing test area and conditions the same it is what counts. If you had one at ocean shore and other in mountains, then you can not compare. SO 100% same conditions nothing else matters

Redthies
08-26-2021, 09:20 AM
As I said, I WASN’T INTERESTED IN THE COMPARISON. JUST THE RANGE YOU GOT AND UNDER WHAT CONDITIONS YOU WERE USING THEM IN.

I shouted that at you so you’d hear it this time. I’m well aware that the geography will effect range, as will power output.

bangbangkhan
08-26-2021, 02:12 PM
download the frequency from the Forestry site and use this software to load to radio.

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Drillbit
08-27-2021, 05:41 PM

Where is the best place to buy these now?
Need a few new ones

The higher the watts the better, the battery is important too the higher the mA
hours the better

Stresd
08-27-2021, 05:56 PM
Usually takes a couple weeks sometimes less depending on what merchant you use. Bought a least a dozen over the years for myself and friends, and never have had any issues. https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20210827165400&SearchText=baofeng+radio. Forgot to mention that I always buy one at a time to avoid any customs issues. (https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20210827165400&SearchText=baofeng+radio)

Drillbit
08-27-2021, 10:15 PM
Great
thanks!

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
08-29-2021, 08:48 PM
I have got three Uv S9 radios for friends lately. The two 10W models test 6 & 6.1 watts. The 8w model tests 5.8w So they defiantly do not live up to there advertised specs. Nice thing is they do have a 2800mah battery. You also have to modify a 771 antenna if you want to use one. They program on chirp with the UV5R stuff or Radiodiddy stuff. Feel nicer in the hand than a 5R as they are a bit bigger.

Stresd
08-30-2021, 07:10 PM
I have got three Uv S9 radios for friends lately. The two 10W models test 6 & 6.1 watts. The 8w model tests 5.8w So they defiantly do not live up to there advertised specs. Nice thing is they do have a 2800mah battery. You also have to modify a 771 antenna if you want to use one. They program on chirp with the UV5R stuff or Radiodiddy stuff. Feel nicer in the hand than a 5R as they are a bit bigger.

Thank you for co-berating the power output testing that I also did on these radio's. Upgrading antennas make big difference in performance.

REMINGTON JIM
09-12-2021, 10:00 PM
Being out on the Quad every week - the Baofeng Radios seem to work fine for what we want SO far :) RJ

Redthies
09-13-2021, 07:09 AM
Being out on the Quad every week - the Baofeng Radios seem to work fine for what we want SO far :) RJ

Good to hear RJ. They do the job for me too. I listen to the marine forecast on mine at home long before I think about heading to the boat. Not sure how far from the water it will receive that, but I’m impressed I get it at the house with all the interference on land.

Arctic Lake
09-13-2021, 07:51 AM
Can you use your radio like a scanner ( which is a device I know nothing about ) to monitor First Responder communications ?
Arctic Lake

Redthies
09-13-2021, 10:08 AM
Can you use your radio like a scanner ( which is a device I know nothing about ) to monitor First Responder communications ?
Arctic Lake

You can program in any frequency you want, if it is in the spectrum covered by the radio. Personally, I would not do that and it would really suck to be caught doing it. I know there are separate blocks of frequencies set aside for Police, Fire, Ambulance etc, and recall that they were out of the frequency range of these radios, but I’ve been wrong before.

bangbangkhan
09-13-2021, 11:04 AM
Arctic Lake

most of them are encrypted so you wont be able to listen in

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
09-13-2021, 06:20 PM
You can use your radio for a scanner BUT it is super slow--3 frequencies per second so almost useless that way. The scanner part of Baofeng is more for scanning already programed frequencies.

Huk
09-14-2021, 02:40 PM
I have a Kenwood TK-2180 around here someplace. Should see if I can program it.

westcoaster
09-14-2021, 04:36 PM
I have a Kenwood TK-2180 around here someplace. Should see if I can program it.

KPG89D is the software you would use.
ebay kenwood cable.

Arctic Lake
09-14-2021, 05:51 PM
Thanks as always fellas !
Arctic Lake
Arctic Lake

Huk
09-14-2021, 06:44 PM
KPG89D is the software you would use.
ebay kenwood cable.

Thanks, I’ll check that out

westcoaster
09-14-2021, 07:04 PM
Thanks, I’ll check that out

I haven't had a problem with any of the software I have pulled from this site....
http://www.radioscanner.ru/files/kenwood/file17724/

Use the engineer key.

abbyfireguy
09-18-2021, 08:18 AM
Been a member of Abbotsford Radio Club for a number of years after taking my ham radio operators course .
I’m far from a radio pro as some of our club members are.
I have a Yaesu FT 8800 professionally installed in my truck and use it whenever on a Resource Road ,esspecially when I’m towing my travel trailer into camp and need a bit of advance warning to get into a pullout to keep the logging trucks happy.
Thats the biggest thing for me is to peacefully coexist with equipment operating on the Resource Roads.
A lot of times I get a Thankyou on the radio from a big truck when they come around a corner and I’m already pulled over well off the road, letting them pass by me without slowing down much ..
I have no desire to come around a corner to have a Kenworth Emblem staring me in the windshield!
I’m to old for that kind of excitement! LOL..
I am also looking at a new handheld radio as my Motorola handhelds are getting long in the tooth(but still function).

caddisguy
12-10-2022, 07:33 PM
Sorry bumping this old thread versus creating a new one.

I am looking at these UV-5R radios and noticed some are 5W and some are 8W, ie:

https://www.amazon.ca/Rechargeable-3800mAh-Battery-Programming-Earpiece/dp/B09QPNMBWG (8W)

https://www.amazon.ca/BAOFENG-UV-5R-Rechargeable-Handheld-Microphone/dp/B0BKKPKQQ1 (5W)

The 5W is considerably cheaper... two radios for not much more than the 8W... though both come with 2x 3800mah batteries.

I know the specs on these radios don't really live up to their listed specs (battery or power) but just wondered if anyone has any first hand experience between the 5W vs 8W UV-5R

(and yes I know there are better radios one can get, not looking for a debate, just data on these) :)

Edit: Reading some reviews, I do see that the 8W reads 8W when tested on the high power setting.... so I guess the question is, how significant is 5W vs 8W

SuperYeti
12-10-2022, 08:28 PM

https://www.amazon.ca/Rechargeable-3800mAh-Battery-Programming-Earpiece/dp/B09QPNMBWG (8W)

https://www.amazon.ca/BAOFENG-UV-5R-Rechargeable-Handheld-Microphone/dp/B0BKKPKQQ1 (5W)

The 5W is considerably cheaper... two radios for not much more than the 8W... though both come with 2x 3800mah batteries.

I know the specs on these radios don't really live up to their listed specs (battery or power) but just wondered if anyone has any first hand experience between the 5W vs 8W UV-5R

(and yes I know there are better radios one can get, not looking for a debate, just data on these) :)

Edit: Reading some reviews, I do see that the 8W reads 8W when tested on the high power setting.... so I guess the question is, how significant is 5W vs 8W

Most of the ones I've seen on Amazon.ca are IC compliant and don't allow for programming outside of the HAM VHF ranges now, which means they are much less useful for RR stuff. You can still find the fully unlocked ones on Aliexpress etc. I've heard there are some companies importing them and reselling here pre-programmed with all the RR's etc as well.

caddisguy
12-10-2022, 08:46 PM
Most of the ones I've seen on Amazon.ca are IC compliant and don't allow for programming outside of the HAM VHF ranges now, which means they are much less useful for RR stuff. You can still find the fully unlocked ones on Aliexpress etc. I've heard there are some companies importing them and reselling here pre-programmed with all the RR's etc as well.

Looks like one can unlock the compliant ones really easily unlocked (legalities aside) by holding down three buttons before/while turning it on. It does a factory reset deal and you're good to go from then on. From what I understand, programming isn't really necessary. You can just print out a list of RR-## and corresponding frequencies or save it to a phone and keep it handy... then just punch in the frequency for the posted RR-## ... or you can connect it to a computer use the software to add the frequencies to the banks by the RR name to make things more simple vs having a reference sheet for RR name to actual frequency

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sg3RJf1ZEA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sg3RJf1ZEA

7mag
12-10-2022, 10:04 PM
They are pretty easy to program using the “CHIRP” free download software. Used a pair most of the season (5w) worked pretty slick. Lots of tube videos out there on “how to” once you have a cable to program.

Huntingtyler123
12-11-2022, 10:27 AM
Checkout marketplace , guy in Kamloops is selling some fully programmed and ready to use

sidney-hunter
12-11-2022, 12:04 PM
I would venture a guess tht 99.6% of truckers and equipment operators on the roads arent licensed radio operators either. I cant see anyone complaining, much less enforcing any industry canada regulations for using a radio on RR frequencies for the intended purpose (not dying). The one issue with not programming a radio beforehand (at least around here), is the odd road doesnt use RR freqs, but does list the digits and the ‘tone’ to open the repeater. Not sure if all these radios can manually program a freq and tone necessary. Chirp is suuuper easy to use and most all of the channels that use a tone can be found on the websites of whoever is logging the area. Also, if buying a cord for a baofeng, DO NOT buy the $20 one. Just pissin money away. Spend the $50 and get the good ones that work and dont need you to be a computer programmer.

high horse Hal
12-11-2022, 01:03 PM
I've heard there are some companies importing them and reselling here pre-programmed with all the RR's etc as well.private individuals maybe
have seen where someone gets a lot of radios from the like of Ali, programs them all and sell some to cover costs of what they keep for themselves = 0$ net

carnivore
12-11-2022, 01:44 PM
Check out the preprogrammed Pofung at https://www.fleetwooddp.com/ for $100. I found it far superior to a Baofeng. Came with all of the RR's and ladd channels.

Gun Dog
12-11-2022, 03:44 PM
Reading some reviews, I do see that the 8W reads 8W when tested on the high power setting.... so I guess the question is, how significant is 5W vs 8WIn order to double the range you need 4x the power. That's because the radio transmits in all directions (an area) so you need to square (X times X) the power to double the distance (X). Going from 5W to 8W is an increase of 3W or 60% or 1.6 times the 5W radio. This would increase the distance by the square root of 1.6 or 1.26. Going from 5W to 8W would increase the range from (for example) 10km to 12.6km.

A good antenna matters more.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
12-11-2022, 06:35 PM
Another good radio out there is the TYT TH8000D(E). They are 10 watt radios that (so far) all test over 12w. The battery life of these radios is better than twice that of the Baofeng line up. With my test method a Baofeng 1800/2000mah battery lasts about 20 to 24 hours. Every TYT TH8000 battery--last better than 43 1/2 hours. I have never had an 8 or 10w UV9R test better than 6.5w. lots of UV82 test better than 8w. Lots of UV5R 8w test better than 10w. Lots and lots of people are happy with their Baofeng radios. Most newer advertised 10w Baofeng radios are just (good) 5w radios. Stick with the UV5r line up and you will be happy. Use outside mag mount antennas when in your vehicle and a 771 antenna when out of the vehicle. A cheap 771 antenna will make a difference, you dont need a $20 one. The HAM guys will of course need "better" equipment. All through this multi page post guys are comparing 25 to 75 watt truck mounted radios to hand held Baofengs---of coarse they are better.

M1SF1T
12-12-2022, 02:17 PM
If you are using the radio on batteries you will use them up 60% faster tx on 8w vs 5w. Most high quality HTs are 5w.

A lot here about legality. You do not require a restricted operator certificate or amateur operator certificate to be licensed to operate a radio in these roads, but the radio is required to be certified and licensed. You pay the 41$ fee and get a letter authorizing you on the frequencies. With that letter you can buy or have a commercial vhf radio programmed and ready to go with all the RR / LADD freqs and you may operate it legally.

Not passing judgement on hacking a HAM radio to tx on the full spectrum, just clarifying what the rules really are regarding licensing and operator certificates.

jamfarm
12-12-2022, 02:57 PM
They are pretty easy to program using the “CHIRP” free download software. Used a pair most of the season (5w) worked pretty slick. Lots of tube videos out there on “how to” once you have a cable to program.

Does the CHIRP software only work on a PC or is it Mac compatible? Also, what cable is required? I’m sure any cable won’t be compatible with a newer Mac laptop.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
12-12-2022, 06:06 PM
You can download Chirp For Macs

7mag
12-12-2022, 09:27 PM
Does the CHIRP software only work on a PC or is it Mac compatible? Also, what cable is required? I’m sure any cable won’t be compatible with a newer Mac laptop.

Not sure about compatibility…I was using in on Windows. As far as the cable…it plugs into the mic jack and then usb for computer side. I think it was $14 or $15 on Amazon …worked great. I bought the 3800maH battery on the UV-5R and it lasted a couple days even in the miserable -16 days…lol.

Seth
12-13-2022, 06:48 AM
What kind of range are guys getting from a UV-5R? We bought a radio each (me and 4 buddies) and are lucky to get even 500 meters out of them and that’s line of site. I’m wondering if something got screwed up in the settings when we programmed them on Chirp?

7mag
12-13-2022, 09:37 AM
We’ve been a couple km and in the thick brush with no issues. Maybe your TX is set to low? You can change it from the menu…

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
12-13-2022, 06:27 PM
To change your transmit power on a Baofeng---Turn radio on---make sure it is unlocked-- push the menu button---scroll to menu item 02--power setting--push menu again and use the up & down arrow to select high/med/low--push menu again and your done. 5w Baofeng will only have High & Low' Chirp programing automatically selects HIGH but you can change it to your desired level. Another way to change the power level is a short press of the # key but this is only temporary.

M1SF1T
12-13-2022, 06:54 PM
500m on low power is still pretty pathetic.

Baofeng build is hit/miss. You are buying the bottom end. No surprise on subpar performance.

Pioneerman
12-13-2022, 07:20 PM
I have had them for years along with my friends, always been very good battery life and reception. They had the UV-5R and I have the HP-82, we have talked close to 14 kms with standard antenna on handheld, Not from mountain top to mountain top, more rolling country 300 ' elevation at the most. If you use Chirp and have Win10 then make sure you get the red adapter cable the chip in that one works with Win 10 others did not after win updates. Contact Fleetwood in the lower mainland they can get you what you need

wallz
12-13-2022, 10:53 PM
Normally get about 3-5 km on bush roads with the longer affixed antennae, and triple that with an outside mounted one.
spend the money on an external mic as well. The guys trying to listening to you appreciate being able to actually hear you. The built in mic on the hand heads are sub par at best.

Seth
12-14-2022, 06:38 AM
We’ve been a couple km and in the thick brush with no issues. Maybe your TX is set to low? You can change it from the menu…

I’ll look into where it’s currently set. Should it be at the high end of the range or is there an ideal setting?

Seth
12-14-2022, 06:40 AM
500m on low power is still pretty pathetic.

Baofeng build is hit/miss. You are buying the bottom end. No surprise on subpar performance.

We were definitely buyer beware when we purchased but expected to at least be able to communicate across a valley...

7mag
12-14-2022, 09:13 PM
Should be just a high or low setting….I’ve always just run mine on high.

M1SF1T
12-15-2022, 06:43 AM
I get it, just saying the units can work or can come out garbage.

Interesting that the issue is across all 4 units. A bad run maybe, or just pressure on these low end, high volume, low profit products to get made even cheaper, chip shortage and all...

You can get a cheap Yaesu or Icom for about a hundred bucks... they're typically easy to modify to transmit on the full frequency band if you require that.

huntcoop
12-15-2022, 10:06 AM
Who would police the non-compliance part of this........ ie: using without proper licence etc...

mike31154
12-15-2022, 03:26 PM
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, formerly Industry Canada is the licensing agency. I would imagine any law enforcement officer could 'police' this requirement as it is federal. How it is policed is a different matter. Unless you're grossly irresponsible or uninformed the likelihood of getting caught is slim to nil. If you interfere with a licensed user on an emergency frequency you will most certainly get their attention. Otherwise, someone would have to turn you in, akin to firearms laws in an ironic way. The authorities have no way of tracking unregistered radios, same as firearms. How much time is spent patrolling remote corners of the BC wilderness with frequency tracking equipment is anyone's guess, but logic dictates nil....

I purchased and licensed an 8 channel Kenwood some years ago at considerable expense. I maintain a license for it, annual fee $41 which is not going to break the bank. The vendor programmed some local logging channels into it as well as LAD2 which is the frequency allotted on my licence. It's unlawful to program any such radio in the field, so legally I have to take it to the vendor each time I wish to change a frequency. 1st 2 visits are free of charge, after that it's $30 or so a pop. Inconvenient if I happen to travel & need one of the RR's I don't have programmed. Let's say I 'may have acquired a UV-5R' capable of storing hundred channels & being programmed on the fly with a keypad on it. Use it with my hunting buddies on a channel not interfering with local traffic and/or to monitor traffic on an FSR. Any radio is better than none at the end of the day. The technology inside these things is not rocket science, has been around forever. Short of tearing one apart to its guts, I would argue the components for the cheapos vs brand name are sourced from the same chip makers. Build quality as far as the housing/plastic appears to be better on my Kenwood. Does that account for a price difference in the hundreds of $$$? You be the judge. Being a casual user, the UV-5R works fine & I'm not concerned about dropping the thing.

Here's a link with a quick summary.
https://bccommunications.ca/blogs/services/radio-licensing

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
12-15-2022, 06:57 PM
Another problem you may have on the "receive" side is your squelch setting. If it is set too high you may be blocking out a weaker signal.

coyotebc
01-01-2023, 11:21 PM
What kind of range are guys getting from a UV-5R? We bought a radio each (me and 4 buddies) and are lucky to get even 500 meters out of them and that’s line of site. I’m wondering if something got screwed up in the settings when we programmed them on Chirp?
These are line of sight technology (all vfh radios), trees, hills and such will block the signal rather quickly.
Most baofengs are dual band meaning they transmit on UHF and VHF bands.
Most baofengs will transmit around 1 watt on low and 3 to 4 watts on high when using VHF
, And 2 to 3 watts in high using UHF

Some of the ones listed at 8 watts will do between 4 and 7 watts on high.
Any baofeng add claiming transmitting power over 10 watt in a handheld is lying.

Replacing the stock antenna with something like a Nagoya 771 will help a lot.
Using a magmount antenna while in a vehicle helps as well

coyotebc
01-01-2023, 11:23 PM
https://youtu.be/6uJOXJt8BT4

A lot of good info here

coyotebc
01-01-2023, 11:25 PM

Not much, I have both 5 watt and 8 watt baofengs, you probably won't notice the difference

coyotebc
01-01-2023, 11:29 PM
private individuals maybe
have seen where someone gets a lot of radios from the like of Ali, programs them all and sell some to cover costs of what they keep for themselves = 0$ net
These baofengs are legal for RR use https://www.fleetwooddp.com/products/baofeng-pofung-p11uv-rrb1-logging-road-back-country-walkie-talkie-two-way-radio

coyotebc
01-01-2023, 11:31 PM
Check out the preprogrammed Pofung at https://www.fleetwooddp.com/ for $100. I found it far superior to a Baofeng. Came with all of the RR's and ladd channels.
Those radios are baofeng, same company

coyotebc
01-01-2023, 11:43 PM
I would venture a guess tht 99.6% of truckers and equipment operators on the roads arent licensed radio operators either. I cant see anyone complaining, much less enforcing any industry canada regulations for using a radio on RR frequencies for the intended purpose (not dying). The one issue with not programming a radio beforehand (at least around here), is the odd road doesnt use RR freqs, but does list the digits and the ‘tone’ to open the repeater. Not sure if all these radios can manually program a freq and tone necessary. Chirp is suuuper easy to use and most all of the channels that use a tone can be found on the websites of whoever is logging the area. Also, if buying a cord for a baofeng, DO NOT buy the $20 one. Just pissin money away. Spend the $50 and get the good ones that work and dont need you to be a computer programmer.
All RR, LAD, and LD channels in BC are simplex and do not require tones.
Simple enough to program these channels into your baofengs ahead of time and name them as they are named ie.RR 12, ect, then set the radio to channel mode, so you just match the channel name to what is on the sign.
The assigned commercial frequency that a company has, may have a tone, hitting 1 button on your radio allows you to go from programmed mode to frequency mode, and.vice versa

caddisguy
01-02-2023, 01:36 AM
Well friends here's the update. I ordered a couple of these UV-5R's one for me and one for caddisgirl for x-mas (she wanted one too)

The old PTT + MONI + VFO/MR press down while switching on does not seem to unlock them. If I hold down 3 while switching on to check the version it says BFB298.

Not sure these new ones can be unlocked. If I punch in a RR frequency and try to transmit, it gives me the old nuh-uh-no-you-dont beep.

Figure whatever unlocked or unlockable UV-5R's floating around is all there is to be had now. At least they're crazy cheap so didn't set us back much. Still a bummer now. Will look around for more unlocking intel, but sounds like this is a hardware deal now and not a software thing. Might have to get back to shopping. Seems to be a fair bit of peeps locally that bought up a bunch when you could unlock them to resell as "programmed". Might snag me one or two of those or get something a level up (unless there's a way hack these new ones lol)

Rumor has it that the new ones starting to circulate are locked at a firmware/chip level and if you try to flash them with old firmware it just bricks them. I guess the FCC gave them the smackdown for having that easy 3 button unlock hack. Those ones are still floating around and it's a gamble if you will get old firmware or new firmware ordering from any given supplier and whatever box they pull off the shelve for your order. Both of the ones I got are on the new BFB298 firmware.

I guess I'm in the market for a proven/working radio. Buy once cry once versus gambling on UV-5R's.