PDA

View Full Version : Bc hunting regs?

Norwestalta
08-19-2021, 05:20 AM
I'm trying to decipher the bc regs for mu 7-20A. The nearest I can tell is that for the elk season you can shoot a 3pt or larger bull and cow elk on a general elk license. Am I reading this correctly?

Redthies
08-19-2021, 06:51 AM
First off, 7-20 is in 7B, not 7A, and you are allowed one 3 point or better in “certain sections” of 7-20, OR one antlerless in “certain sections” of 7-20 but not one of each. The total elk bag limit for all of BC is one. In the 7B synopsis, there are maps. The one that shows where you are allowed those two options is map # H11 found on page 82.

huntingfamily
08-19-2021, 09:30 AM
I'm trying to decipher the bc regs for mu 7-20A. The nearest I can tell is that for the elk season you can shoot a 3pt or larger bull and cow elk on a general elk license. Am I reading this correctly?

7-20A is an elk LEH zone that is also the 'agricultural' zone in the Peace region. Mainly consisting of private farm land and the surrounding crown land. See map H11 in the map section of the 7B reg's.
For non-LEH hunting you can shoot a 3 point minimum bull elk during the season dates. There is also a one month antlerless elk season starting Sept 15 in that zone. These days the success rates aren't high as the population has taken a shit kicking. A lot of us up here think it should have been cancelled a few years ago. But farmer and rancher pressure must still exist to some extent.
Is BC "Managing to Zero"?

Ferenc
08-19-2021, 10:01 AM
Yes your reading it correctly same as last year , it’s been like this for quite a few years .. into year two of these regs .. will have to see what happens when they bring out the new regs which most likely will be good again for 2 years.

RyoTHC
08-19-2021, 10:19 AM
Well this answers a question I had, think we will end up “pissing in the wind” up in this area.

see ya there op ^^

Norwestalta
08-19-2021, 11:02 AM
Well this answers a question I had, think we will end up “pissing in the wind” up in this area.

see ya there op ^^

Give me a shout. I've got a couple good spots handy to a cooler.

Norwestalta
08-19-2021, 11:06 AM
I live close to the south east tip of that zone on the albeeria side. I wasn't sure if I was reading the regs correctly. We're 3 pt or larger with the 3 different draw seasons.

BRvalley
08-19-2021, 11:07 AM
it would seem the ranchers have larger influence at the table than resident opinions

But farmer and rancher pressure must still exist to some extent.

they were managing to 50% herd reduction from the 2008 estimates, as of the 2018 survey they estimate mid 30's% reduction....when they tinkered with the LEH zones, removing any sex and individual WMU instead of blanket agri zone, they feel they can better manage the population....as survey found low density of mature bulls and still too many cows

I summarized this from memory (may not have it fully summarized but close enough to bs about lol)....if you want the detailed rationale some good reading at this link....I have the survey bookmarked somewhere but can't find it quickly right now, should be able to be found with some googling

https://nprg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Region-7B_2020-2022-Proposed-Hunting-Reg-Changes.pdf

all in all, it's a very busy area every fall (last year was busiest i've personally witnessed), easy access fsr's and campsites get heavily patrolled by the quad and truck hunters....if you do the foot work, you can still be successful, doesn't require private permission but of course that can help, just depends where you find them any given day

Norwestalta
08-19-2021, 12:25 PM
Can't speak for the bc farmers and ranchers but the elk make a helluva mess in the bale yards and are terrible hard on fences. When 80-100 head show up they leave a mess. The numbers may be down but there is some big herds and they reproduce.

Bigdoggdon
08-19-2021, 07:04 PM
Getting permission from land owners may be difficult if you're not a local. A lot of the ranchers claim to have had a bad experience with some hunters in the past. Driving on range land instead of staying on designated roads, leaving garbage, leaving entrails and damage to fences. Just a couple more bad apples souring the bunch

Norwestalta
08-19-2021, 07:53 PM
Getting permission from land owners may be difficult if you're not a local. A lot of the ranchers claim to have had a bad experience with some hunters in the past. Driving on range land instead of staying on designated roads, leaving garbage, leaving entrails and damage to fences. Just a couple more bad apples souring the bunch

I think they might be more open considering the feed shortage but who knows until you ask.

Sitkaspruce
08-22-2021, 07:22 PM
7-20A is an elk LEH zone that is also the 'agricultural' zone in the Peace region. Mainly consisting of private farm land and the surrounding crown land. See map H11 in the map section of the 7B reg's.
For non-LEH hunting you can shoot a 3 point minimum bull elk during the season dates. There is also a one month antlerless elk season starting Sept 15 in that zone. These days the success rates aren't high as the population has taken a shit kicking. A lot of us up here think it should have been cancelled a few years ago. But farmer and rancher pressure must still exist to some extent.

it would seem the ranchers have larger influence at the table than resident opinions

they were managing to 50% herd reduction from the 2008 estimates, as of the 2018 survey they estimate mid 30's% reduction....when they tinkered with the LEH zones, removing any sex and individual WMU instead of blanket agri zone, they feel they can better manage the population....as survey found low density of mature bulls and still too many cows

I summarized this from memory (may not have it fully summarized but close enough to bs about lol)....if you want the detailed rationale some good reading at this link....I have the survey bookmarked somewhere but can't find it quickly right now, should be able to be found with some googling

https://nprg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Region-7B_2020-2022-Proposed-Hunting-Reg-Changes.pdf

all in all, it's a very busy area every fall (last year was busiest i've personally witnessed), easy access fsr's and campsites get heavily patrolled by the quad and truck hunters....if you do the foot work, you can still be successful, doesn't require private permission but of course that can help, just depends where you find them any given day

Yup BR you got it right

At the meeting, it was brought up that the goal was 7500-9000 elk in the Ag zone and they have reached that. They dropped the last 15 days off the cow elk season and have used the LEH to manage the numbers. Also note that there is no more LEH bull season as the number of mature 6x6 bulls were lower than they wanted and they are not that hard on hay stacks as the cows/calves.

We were not in favour of the MU LEH, but they decided to anyways. It will be interesting to see how the elk numbers are after a few years of the MU LEH season. Last year was tough to find a cow as the warm weather had them scattered and when it did get cold, they were not where I could access them (Some of land that I have permission on was not in my MU).

Lots of elk around, my cams are full of them, but they are not stupid and learn/remember by Sept 2.

Cheers

SS