PDA

View Full Version : Grouse populations

Bluewhite'ngreen
08-18-2021, 11:10 AM
I've been out scouting in the central Okanagan lately and seem to be running into a reasonably healthy population this year, so it seems. It could be luck. What have you folks experienced regarding grouse populations this year. Healthy enough to harvest or let the population recover.

Linksman313
08-18-2021, 11:15 AM
Looking really good in the Boundary to date

Went out after the "rain" the other day and found quite a few out on the roads sunning themselves

Found many of them to be small in stature compared to years previous

Seems to be fair bit of food around for them as well

So far much better than last year at this time, smoke and excessive heat could change everything though

my daughter is tuned up with the .22 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed

time will tell
Links

B-rad
08-18-2021, 11:28 AM
we had a good dry spring,,,,,,,been seeing tons of blues,,fairly large family flocks,,,,4-6 chicks,,,,,,the ruffed grouse up higher in good numbers also,,,,,the ruffed grouse family flocks are already starting to seperate,,,,,spruce grouse,,,have only seen 1 small family group,,,,but was 5 birds in it,,,,ptarmigan,,,have noooo idea,,,,ptarmigan are hit/miss here in the loops

mike31154
08-18-2021, 11:34 AM
Haven't been out much due to smoke & fire, but I was up in the Monashees east of Lumby last week & spotted 3 on the way out on Keefer Lake FSR. Same observation as Linksman, they looked smallish.

Bluewhite'ngreen
08-18-2021, 11:39 AM
When they come out smallish, is that due to a late hatching brood or possibly the lack of food?

decker9
08-18-2021, 11:52 AM
Seeing a lot this year in 6-04, also noticing a lot more Blue grouse in the higher areas as well.

Dour
08-18-2021, 01:11 PM
I’ve seen a lot in region 2. 4x4ing so that’s a good thing

ghost
08-18-2021, 01:30 PM
lots around kamloops where i have been cruising around

jlirot
08-18-2021, 08:47 PM
I saw a BUNCH this spring when I was out looking for bears. More than I've ever seen before. No idea what it will be like after the fires/smoke.

Husky7mm
08-18-2021, 09:56 PM
I've been out scouting in the central Okanagan lately and seem to be running into a reasonably healthy population this year, so it seems. It could be luck. What have you folks experienced regarding grouse populations this year. Healthy enough to harvest or let the population recover.

Sorry if someone already answered the questions, I didn’t read the whole thread. A dry spring usually means good survival for eggs and chicks. Big ebbs and flows with grouse. Goshawks also have a factor in this ebb and flow. Harvest them while you can, even in slow years when the conditions were right I saw 20-30 birds a day and none for other days on end.

Ohwildwon
08-18-2021, 10:23 PM
Grouse tags are sold out for the year

B-rad
08-18-2021, 10:35 PM
Grouse tags are sold out for the year its ok,,,,i got a LEH grouse draw for this year :)

HarryToolips
08-19-2021, 09:21 AM
As previously mentioned, the dry spring we've had should equate to good grouse hunting this fall....

Redthies
08-19-2021, 01:18 PM
As previously mentioned, the dry spring we've had should equate to good grouse hunting this fall....

And adding a nice Italian O/U and a second Weimaraner to my quiver of dogs will hopefully help boost my harvest rate;)

At the very least, it will be a fun season if these damn fires settle down!

Darksith
08-20-2021, 09:39 AM

Grouse do well when we have dry spring seasons, the eggs and babies are susceptible to cold wet springs as it causes disease and high mortality rates. If we can get a couple dry spring seasons in a row the populations should be very healthy if they don't all burn up in the summer that is...

haha should of read the post first...lots of smart guys around :)

Iron Glove
08-20-2021, 05:29 PM
Son and his Lady are up in 8-5 and just called to say they've seen tons of grouse and bunnies.
Lots of deer running around and even saw 2 Bob cats.
September should be good hunting, wild fires and COVID permitting of course.
I better get off my butt and renew my liscence and buy tags. :wink:

sdpy1
08-22-2021, 09:01 AM
I saw lots of grouse this summer, plus with all the fires there will likely be a high volume season in the next two years.