PDA

View Full Version : Barneys Pack Frame

Elk_Valley_Hunter
08-14-2021, 11:23 AM
Wondering if anyone here has a Barneys pack frame and has any feedback? I am currently using a Stone glacier 7900 and its a nice pack, but those 110+lb loads with meat, etc are pretty tough on the shoulders and hips. Heard good things about the Barneys packs for heavier loads.

Thanks

264mag
08-14-2021, 12:14 PM
I had a Barneys pack for a few years. It was a weight hauling machine. Depending on your use it may or may not be the best choice. The pack is heavier and bulkier than your SG. I found it tough slugging in thick cover and bush as it kept snagging and hitting everything. I have tried almost all of the big brands and have now settled on the Kifaru tactical frame and I switch out bags. I just used the Muskeg on a 10 day sheep hunt and loved it. It’s waterproof and fits my needs.

bighornbob
08-14-2021, 02:59 PM
A barneys is pretty much like the old Camp Trails Moose bag and frame but on major steroids. 100 times better construction but basically a moose bag and frame. Obviously the bag configurations are different.

BHB

ForealBoreal
08-15-2021, 04:25 AM

rageous
08-15-2021, 09:17 AM
I currently use a Barney’s. One of the best packs on the market for those long heavy trips.

LBM
08-15-2021, 04:37 PM
Buddy and i both use them and as mentioned kind of a glorified camp trails moose bag which we both used before these. They are a bit bulky when in thick bush
but great packs as mentioned. Going to try a EXO for the day trips.

Arctic Lake
08-15-2021, 05:37 PM
Just looked the pack up as I had not heard of them before . The frame seems very much like the Alps frame . I ordered an Alps and bag but found that the bottom shelf did not seem like it would hold up , something about how it was attached to the frame I sent the Alps frame and bag back with out using . Hopefully the Barney’s is constructed better !
There’s another pa k frame and bag that I see searching the web . Think it’s called a Bull Pac and made in the USA
Arctic Lake

LBM
08-15-2021, 07:44 PM
Just looked the pack up as I had not heard of them before . The frame seems very much like the Alps frame . I ordered an Alps and bag but found that the bottom shelf did not seem like it would hold up , something about how it was attached to the frame I sent the Alps frame and bag back with out using . Hopefully the Barney’s is constructed better !
There’s another pa k frame and bag that I see searching the web . Think it’s called a Bull Pac and made in the USA
Arctic Lake

Do some more research you will see that the Barney can handle heavy loads, but there not for every buddy, and may be the person that cant handle the load of how it fits on them.

shadowhunter
08-30-2021, 06:36 PM
I love my bullpac......I use it for everything
nuffsaid

Hunting guy
08-31-2021, 06:29 AM
I use the Barney’s frame with the Hunter bag, same one for over 10 years without a complaint. I can fit everything I need inside the pack for a 10 day hunt and I don’t find it heavy at all on day trips. With the top bar removed it holds a rifle sling on the outside of the pack, really quick and easy to use and keeps the weight off my shoulder.

Dirty
08-31-2021, 06:43 AM
I find that the Barney’s frame fits better for bigger guys. Most of the people I know that didn’t like them complained about the hip belt fit. They were usually smaller guys (<5’10 ) and slim. I am 6’3 and 220 give or take and appreciated the padding for hauling heavy loads at long distances. The hip belt fit me well. The cons to the system is being bulky and noisy. The pack creaks and the fabric is noisy when it brushes against something. They are also pretty heavy if you drink the minimalist koolaid.