PDA

View Full Version : CWD Prevention, Surveillance and Response Webinar

Harvest the Land
08-14-2021, 10:36 AM
If you can, take the time to watch this very informative Webinar on CWD with Cait Nelson (Wildlife Biologist with the Ministry) who is managing the surveillance and prevention of CWD in BC. You will learn something. I will definitely be submitting heads for testing going forward, even though I don't hunt in any of the MU's that are on the front lines; the Ministry would like to test as many cervids as possible to help get a better handle on any potential prevalence of CWD in this province.

Thanks BCWF, Cait, and Jesse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn5PQSDjgRo&t=4066s

mikeman20
08-14-2021, 10:40 AM
Is it just whitetail heads still, or all cervids?

Bugle M In
08-14-2021, 11:33 AM
Thanks for posting, will watch.

Harvest the Land
08-14-2021, 11:45 AM
Is it just whitetail heads still, or all cervids?

They definitely want both Whitetail and Mule deer for sure. But I think Cait would appreciate any/all heads from elk and Moose too because CWD has been found in those species as well (not in BC thankfully). The more heads they can test, the better data they will have to implement management procedures and to make sure we still don't have CWD in this province

Sitkaspruce
08-14-2021, 06:49 PM
In the Peace we drop off all of our heads.

The Gov needs everything that we can help them with.

So if you hunt near the borders of Alberta, Montana, Idaho and Washington, drop off those heads!!!

Thanks for sharing, will be watching later tonight

Cheers

SS

pg83
08-15-2021, 10:03 PM
Great initiative to be a part of. Initiatives are being put in place in the Okanagan as well for all hunters.

bownut
08-17-2021, 07:18 PM
If samples were taken from every small town dump in BC where the road kills end up, you would get a good idea where the hot spots are.
Just saying.....

KennyL
08-20-2021, 12:37 PM
Thanks for posting that webinar. Very information! I hope everybody takes the time to watch it. After watching it, I did contact Cait to see if trail cam pics or info on "sick" deer are of interest, to which she responded "definitely". She is inquiring about how such information can be handled with the resources available. I did note on the BCWF website, in the CWD section, that they ask people to call the RAPP line to report sick or unusually thin deer. Which I will do going forward when I have current pics, etc.

The webinar on CWD struck a nerve with some deer i have seen on my trail cams in the south end of the Creston Valley (one of the areas of immediate concern). As discussed with Cait, numerous things can cause a sick deer. But if you start seeing it more and more, it best be looked in to.

Here is a pic I found on my cam this summer, as an example...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8456&stc=1