PDA

View Full Version : Sad situation for steelhead

huntingfamily
08-13-2021, 12:19 PM
Soon to be Fraser River salmon as well...

https://vancouversun.com/news/imminent-extinction-of-interior-steelhead-runs-foretells-whats-to-come-for-fraser-river-salmon-experts

goatdancer
08-13-2021, 12:39 PM
The federal government is full of stupid, gutless, and uncaring fools.

Harvest the Land
08-13-2021, 02:12 PM
If FN's Gill Netters truly gave a flying f-ck about Conservation, they would have voluntarily taken their nets out of the river more than a decade ago. Add in our Cowardly and Woke pro UNDRIP Federal and Provincial governments who are scared shitless of doing anything that might upset Indigenous folks, and VOILA - we are witnessing the extirpation of Interior Fraser Steelhead and many/most Fraser salmon populations in real time, right before our very own eyes. Don't get me wrong, this isn't entirely to blame FN's for this mess - decades of colossal DFO mismanagement of the fisheries and climate change, warming rivers, lower flows, land development etc etc are all to blame.

But I find it rich how many FN's communities claim to be better stewards of the land and natural resources, when they refuse to do the most basic thing to improve our Fraser fish stocks by simply taking their nets out of the river

And the overwhelming majority of British Columbians could not care less

Ride Red
08-13-2021, 02:38 PM
If FN's Gill Netters truly gave a flying f-ck about Conservation, they would have voluntarily taken their nets out of the river more than a decade ago. Add in our Cowardly and Woke pro UNDRIP Federal and Provincial governments who are scared shitless of doing anything that might upset Indigenous folks, and VOILA - we are witnessing the extirpation of Interior Fraser Steelhead and many/most Fraser salmon populations in real time, right before our very own eyes. Don't get me wrong, this isn't entirely to blame FN's for this mess - decades of colossal DFO mismanagement of the fisheries and climate change, warming rivers, lower flows, land development etc etc are all to blame.

But I find it rich how many FN's communities claim to be better stewards of the land and natural resources, when they refuse to do the most basic thing to improve our Fraser fish stocks by simply taking their nets out of the river

And the overwhelming majority of British Columbians could not care less

Well said HTL. The majority of people of all races don’t give a phuck about anything anymore and outweigh the good of a few that do. The “me crowd” is prevalent and seems to be the growing trend throughout. Until everyone gets on the same page, nothing will change and change always starts (or should) at the top. Canada hasn’t had any real leadership in a long long time and who knows if it ever will.

Bugle M In
08-13-2021, 08:27 PM
The government has no balls, and have gone too far with reconciliation, imo.
And the media drives the whole bs, making anyone that says different about FN a racists and uncaring.
They use smoke and mirrors for an agenda i still don't understand will be beneficial for mankind???
2 wrongs have never made a right.
And i am more against the FN at times than i ever was growing up.
I used to care about them not getting a fair shake.
Now i just don't care at times, maybe even when i should.
There are some things that are legit for the FN.
And there are other things that have no business being allowed.
thank the lawyers and media and the dumb ass politicians we allow to run things.
Its are own fault.
Until we start running in politics, it wont change.

tubby
08-14-2021, 08:53 AM
60 plus legal FN gillnet openings on the Fraser targeting stocks of Chinook that are almost at extinction levels over the last 4 months.
All the crys and soft news stories about collapsed Fraser river runs.....yet news station will not touch the netting issue.

I hope to hell nobody votes for the liberals next month!

tigrr
08-14-2021, 09:36 AM
Lets not forget about the people who buy the FN fish. Some have it delivered right to their door.

Iron Glove
08-14-2021, 09:54 AM
Lets not forget about the people who buy the FN fish. Some have it delivered right to their door.

Yup, have a Brother In Law who rants and raves about the FN's getting this and that but he goes to the local Rez and buys salmon.