PDA

View Full Version : Fishing around Prince George.

lovemywinchester
08-10-2021, 08:09 AM
Hi all,
I'm doing some research for my business and am hoping to get an idea of what kinds of fishing most of you guys do around Prince George. I haven't spent anytime up there so I really have no idea. If any of you avid anglers can give me an idea of what the seasonal fisheries are like I would really appreciate it. Here are a few questions and thanks for any input!

-Do you fish mainly for trout in small lakes a like around the Kamloops area or troll for trout in bigger water?
-Is there a lot of big lake laker fishing near by? Using downriggers a lot?
-Do you guys fish rivers from jet boats? Salmon, sturgeon?
-Is there a lot of ice fishing for rainbows? Lakers? White fish?
-How far do you guys have to travel to fish around town?

MRP
08-10-2021, 12:23 PM
What kind of business?

- guiding
- tackle shop
- boat rental
- packer

Harvest the Land
08-10-2021, 12:57 PM
Hi all,
I'm doing some research for my business and am hoping to get an idea of what kinds of fishing most of you guys do around Prince George. I haven't spent anytime up there so I really have no idea. If any of you avid anglers can give me an idea of what the seasonal fisheries are like I would really appreciate it. Here are a few questions and thanks for any input!

-Do you fish mainly for trout in small lakes a like around the Kamloops area or troll for trout in bigger water?
-Is there a lot of big lake laker fishing near by? Using downriggers a lot?
-Do you guys fish rivers from jet boats? Salmon, sturgeon?
-Is there a lot of ice fishing for rainbows? Lakers? White fish?
-How far do you guys have to travel to fish around town?

Did a bit of fishing while going to school there, mostly ice fished some of the lakes in Eskers Provincial Park, particularly Camp Lake and always limited out on rainbows and brook trout. Its a bit of hike in there but definitely worth it. Wish I had more time to spend up there, but I do know there are a ton of lakes within an hour of town that hold plenty of good sized trout; and they aren't nearly as fussy or focused on flies like they are around Kamloops. The trout in many of the lakes love to hammer hardware and worms (meal and earth)

Good luck

lovemywinchester
08-10-2021, 01:22 PM
Thanks HTL. Kinda what I figured.

Just looking for info MRP. Thanks

Bigdoggdon
08-10-2021, 07:29 PM
There are more lakes within a 2hr radius of PG than you could fish in your lifetime (I'm giving it a damn good try though).

Good rainbow and brook trout in lots of places
Other good spots for Lakers or bulls.
And don't forget about burbot.
Ice fishing, fly fishing or trolling all kinds of places.
Check freshwater fisheries society website, they will tell you all the lakes in the area that are stocked and what strains they are stocked with. Look for AF3N (all female triploid) they tend to grow bigger if you're looking to fill your freezer.

albravo2
08-10-2021, 07:43 PM
i haven't lived there since the 80s but caught a LOT of rainbows in the lakes around town. Grizzly lake was always a favorite.

Sitkaspruce
08-10-2021, 07:57 PM
Lived in The Fort and we fished everywhere around the compass.

Big lakes held big lakers, big bulls and big bows. Some of the best fishing for big fish is along the HWY 16 corridor.
Smaller lakes held good numbers of rainbows and if land locked, amazing brookies!
Ice fishing for 10 lbs. rainbows, 20 lbs lakers, 5 lbs brookies and 15 lbs burbot are all possible. Plus all the smaller bows, lakers and brookies keep the kids busy as well!
As Bigdoggondon says, you will not be able to fish every lake in a lifetime. Throw in the rivers and you are fishing some amazing country!!

Cheers

SS

tigrr
08-11-2021, 08:25 AM
Buy the northern BC Fishing Mapbook. 28 lakes around me and I have only fished 12 of them, in 8 years.

lovemywinchester
08-11-2021, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the info. Sounds like PG is a great spot with lots of opportunities and options. I have been doing my best to fish everything between Kamloops and 100 mile and that will take lifetimes, now I need more time for the PG area!
Which religion believes in reincarnation? I might have to look into it so I can have a chance to fish up there.

tigrr
08-11-2021, 05:04 PM
Start Yoga today!
Then get real and enjoy the adventures.