PDA

View Full Version : Moose Draw 7-18

PAhunter
08-09-2021, 04:43 PM
So... my pre-season scouting trip turned into a camping trip no where near my draw area. Managed to finally get drawn for an LEH. Shared moose in 7-18. I have done tons of internet scouring in lieu of boots on the ground for this area. I have a pretty good idea of how I would like to approach hunting the area already. I am mainly curious about areas to set up camp. The only rec site in close proximity is the Macgregor River rec site, which is great, but it lists like 2-4 spots. So the likelihood of there being room for us when we show up is slim.
Any and all information on the area will be greatly appreciated. Although we have a moose authorization for the area it seems like basically every game animal is GOS at that time. Looking through harvest statistics makes it seem like moose are pretty much the only ungulate being hauled put of the bush in that MU, but we all know those forms are only as accurate as the people filling them out.

Thanks in advance for any help!

swampthing
08-09-2021, 05:55 PM
There are 2 main access roads into 7-18. Sounds like you are choosing the pass lake road. You are right about a lack of decent camping. The rec site you mentioned is small for sure. Just before that site is a gravel pit that hunters use each year thats decent. And a few km before the macgregor is pass lake which has a nice site right on the lake. The macgregor runs dirty so bring drinking water or a filter system.

PAhunter
08-09-2021, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. Is there anything deeper in the zone? Like along Herrick? I hadn't given as much thought to accessing the area from the other side. It just didn't look as "moosy" to me. Having said that the area is obviously open for almost everything, I will have a pocket full of tags and s little north of 2 weeks to make something happen. Is it worth investing time to pursue mule deer, elk or goats in this area?

.330 Dakota
08-09-2021, 11:19 PM
Lots of Grizzlies in there

PAhunter
08-10-2021, 05:58 AM
Are there lots of moose too?

RackStar
08-10-2021, 06:46 AM
There’s a old cabin off the herrick , slept in it once. I would stay there with a tent. It’s super thick back there, not much logging (havnt been in 2 years). I could see it being productive if you had 2 vehicles and a canoe. Elk in pockets too. And big Fn grizzly bears. I would focus near the rivers in that country

moosinaround
08-10-2021, 08:18 AM
Are there lots of moose too?
If you do not kill 2 moose in 7-18 during the rut, you are a pi$$ poor hunter!! Just sayin, this is a slam dunk hunt if you put in the time!! Moosin

PAhunter
08-10-2021, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the encouragement moosin! I always strive to be viewed as just a poor hunter just one level above! 3 of us got the draw but one fella took too much time off earlier in the year, so just 2 of us going. I'm not sure what that means as far as allowable harvest now? The regs don't seem to address is it in any way either. In any fashion 1 moose splits between 2 guys fairly well.

bighornbob
08-10-2021, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the encouragement moosin! I always strive to be viewed as just a poor hunter just one level above! 3 of us got the draw but one fella took too much time off earlier in the year, so just 2 of us going. I'm not sure what that means as far as allowable harvest now? The regs don't seem to address is it in any way either. In any fashion 1 moose splits between 2 guys fairly well.

If three guys put in for a shared hunt and you won, you received an LEH for two bull moose. If one guy chooses to not come, that means you have 2 LEH tags for 2 hunters. Thats how it works. In another scenario, you could have three hunters hunting for a LEH bull. If there is an general Open season at the same time say for Immature moose, one of the guys could take a immature moose (not put his name on the LEH tag) under the GOS and the other two guys could shoot two bulls under the LEH tags. So in theory coming home with three moose.

BHB

wallz
08-10-2021, 09:52 AM
I have been into the Pass lake side across the McGregor. ATV only passing across that bridge. The trail was washed out in a few spots higher up along the river, but passable. It was raining hard the day I went, and all water crossings were up higher on the way down, so be aware.
It is grown in big time, but you can get in there and lots of moose sign.
Goodson rd access is mainly for the hike into the Kakwa park. No real logging in the area leading upto it on the Bastille watershed. I hear there are lots of moose sign on that road in tho, so it might help to just walk in, set up on a stretch of road and call. I have not been down this road, but know someone that was just up there in Kakwa park hiking. Lots of porcupine in the Bastille watershed that are known to eat the rubber tires, so be aware. Guys use a chicken mesh around their vehicles, from what I hear.

Good luck.

PAhunter
08-10-2021, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the info. Rough idea on km in on the mainline to the cabin?

PAhunter
08-10-2021, 10:09 AM
I have been into the Pass lake side across the McGregor. ATV only passing across that bridge. The trail was washed out in a few spots higher up along the river, but passable. It was raining hard the day I went, and all water crossings were up higher on the way down, so be aware.
It is grown in big time, but you can get in there and lots of moose sign.
Goodson rd access is mainly for the hike into the Kakwa park. No real logging in the area leading upto it on the Bastille watershed. I hear there are lots of moose sign on that road in tho, so it might help to just walk in, set up on a stretch of road and call. I have not been down this road, but know someone that was just up there in Kakwa park hiking. Lots of porcupine in the Bastille watershed that are known to eat the rubber tires, so be aware. Guys use a chicken mesh around their vehicles, from what I hear.

Good luck.

From what I have read there is a new bridge over the macgregor? And some logging happening in the area. No satellite images to show where the new settings are. My focus is on hunting the low land via aluminum boat.

PAhunter
08-10-2021, 10:10 AM
If three guys put in for a shared hunt and you won, you received an LEH for two bull moose. If one guy chooses to not come, that means you have 2 LEH tags for 2 hunters. Thats how it works. In another scenario, you could have three hunters hunting for a LEH bull. If there is an general Open season at the same time say for Immature moose, one of the guys could take a immature moose (not put his name on the LEH tag) under the GOS and the other two guys could shoot two bulls under the LEH tags. So in theory coming home with three moose.

BHB

This is the assumption I was going to run with. It makes sense that if the authorization is for 2 we would still be able to take 2.

wallz
08-10-2021, 11:09 AM
From what I have read there is a new bridge over the macgregor? And some logging happening in the area. No satellite images to show where the new settings are. My focus is on hunting the low land via aluminum boat.

It has been 2 years since I was up there.

I just looked on a map, and yes there is new logging on the lower section before Herrick Cr, so I would assume a new bridge.

Could always go up the McGreggor a bit as well and hunt the eastern shore.

wallz
08-10-2021, 11:31 AM
PaHunter, send me your email by pm. I have some info for you.

PAhunter
08-12-2021, 10:59 AM
Does anyone have any info on spots to drop a tinner in the river? The Herrick side looks like it has quite a few waterfalls and patches of skinny water. The macgregor looks to be a little more tinner friendly. From Google earth, fat Map and arc gis it really doesn't looks like there are many spots where a road meets the river.

swampthing
08-12-2021, 06:09 PM
There is a new bridge across the macgregor. When you go left off the bridge the road is washed out up a ways. Sounds like cant even get an atv through. The washout is before the slate mine. Walking the road past there may be a decent bet. There used to be two guide outfits up there but I believe they have pretty much cleared out. I saw them floating the river in dingys calling for moose. Steve Rinella did a grizz hunt/show up there I believe? Going to the right the road was in atv only shape the last time I was in there. There was one one guide outfit up that road. They used boat/atv access to their cabins. Its been pretty quiet as well.

Machinist
08-13-2021, 12:36 PM
There is now a new Bridge over the Mcgregor so you can acess it with a truck not like the old bridge that was ATV only , The road to the Left on the other side on the bridge 7-18 side is washed out bigtime , unless the guide that works out of there has repaired it you won't be going too far up that road . Yes there are moose in 7-18 but i tend not to hunt in there anymore as its just too thick very few open areas to hunt , during the rut you have a better oppurtunity to call one out where you can get a shot at one , best campsite is Pass Lake , good luck

BrookTrout
08-13-2021, 04:29 PM
Yes new bridge across the MaGregor, on the herrick (left on north side of bridge) it’s washed out at 68km and can’t get around without some serious work. They are brushing towards Hedrick on the right but haven’t gone far, lots of logging out there right now

Machinist
08-13-2021, 04:40 PM
I have seen a couple of monster bulls over the last couple of years on the 7-18 side standing on the road but by the time you get the ATV stopped they step off the road and into that thick Crap and they are gone , definetly big bulls in there but getting one can be a challenge
Going to head into 7-17 on opening day and look for a immature , no LEH for me this year

Bustercluck
08-13-2021, 04:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/1iUFT93.jpg

Heres one from 7-18 and not the biggest bull I saw that trip. There’s lots of moose in there and they come to the call during the rut. That place has the most moose activity of anywhere I’ve hunted. They’re all over the place.

Bustercluck
08-13-2021, 05:00 PM
For the guys who are talking about the washout. Is it washed out where the river has been eroding the bank away? If you were floating down river it would be a right turn in the water and it would have washed away the bank in the left? That spot was getting narrower and narrower the few times I’ve been there. I’d love to hunt that spot again, I’mnot sure if it’s less productive now that they’re logging back there. It was kind of left alone and not tooo many people going through.

PAhunter
08-14-2021, 11:23 AM
Is anyone able to send me a screen shot of Google earth where this washout is? If it is where I think it is, it basically cuts a guy off from accessing the Herrick at all. A big part of my plan involved being on the other side of the mountain range and running the lower portion of the Herrick in the boat. It also seems like most of the gravel pits folks suggested using for camping are all inaccessible. I guess all will become clear once we get there...

Thank you again to everyone who has reached out. This has been a very positive experience. If I were to have posted this on a Facebook page looking for info on an area a guy would have been lambasted for not having been there before. If anyone is in the area late September early October pm me here and we can have a beer and a bull sh+!.

Machinist
08-14-2021, 12:13 PM
Went for a Quad ride in there yesterday and lots of heavy equipment parked at the Gravel pit so it may not be an option for camping they are moving a lot of gravel out of there , I did not go over the bridge to 7-18 just went down the Sandy about 10 km , seen some cows and calf’s on the cut block just past the FS campsite at the creek
going to head back in there on opening day for immatures

Is anyone able to send me a screen shot of Google earth where this washout is? If it is where I think it is, it basically cuts a guy off from accessing the Herrick at all. A big part of my plan involved being on the other side of the mountain range and running the lower portion of the Herrick in the boat. It also seems like most of the gravel pits folks suggested using for camping are all inaccessible. I guess all will become clear once we get there...

Thank you again to everyone who has reached out. This has been a very positive experience. If I were to have posted this on a Facebook page looking for info on an area a guy would have been lambasted for not having been there before. If anyone is in the area late September early October pm me here and we can have a beer and a bull sh+!.

BrookTrout
08-14-2021, 08:33 PM

you won’t get to the other side of the range like you are saying, PM me your number and I can send you a screenshot of where the washout is and what it looks like

PAhunter
09-20-2021, 10:21 AM
Can any of you fine folks comment on whether or not there is a reliable spot to receive a cell signal in the area. The telus map shows a couple service spots both to the east and the west of pass lake. They do however appear to be a climb into the alpine to get the signal. Any chances you guys have picked up a signal near pass lake?

todbartell
09-20-2021, 11:21 AM
You cannot rely on cell service in BC wilderness. Get yourself a Zoleo or inReach satellite communication device

Machinist
09-21-2021, 02:58 PM
You will loose Cell service once you drive past the small community of Willow River on the way in , after that you are out of luck , never found cell service anywhere in
7-18