PDA

View Full Version : Scopes

longleader
11-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Hi, a question about scopes. I have to replace the scope on my “second” rifle, and as much as I like my Leupold Vari-X III on my “first” rifle, I can’t really justify laying out the bucks for another one which won’t see much use. So I have been considering either a Leupold Rifleman, or a Bushnell Elite 3200. Has anyone had any experience with either of these, good or bad? I think the Bushnell may be made in Japan, which should be ok. Don’t know if the Leupold is made in the USA or not. If it’s made in China then that’s out. Thanks, Bill.

Sitkaspruce
11-08-2007, 09:05 AM
I personally would go with the elite, but that my choice, only because I have used one for about 14 years (old B&L 3000) and never had a problem. Have not heard much about the Rifleman, but being it is a leupold, you probably cannot go wrong either.

Check out this site for more info
http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/16/page/1
Ask the same question there if you want.

Also if you are not in a rush, check out the classified on this site and others, because some great deals come up on good quality scopes.

Mr. Dean
11-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Elite's are a great scope. Can't speak for the Rifleman.

Scobo
11-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Spend a little extra money and pick up a bushnell 4200 (the 3-9x40 is $299USD (like 280CDN & includes shipping and you can send in for a free rainjacket). $100 more then the 3200 but has their premium glass and I would say worth the $100. I went with the 3-9 because it was the best option for pricing in the 4200. the other powers are quite a bit more. go to opticsplanet. they are great to work with. i too was going to fork out a little extra on the Leupold or zeiss but was convinced otherwise from many optic and sniper forums. I know i am not a sniper but those guys know their optics. I am glad i listened to them. it also has the rainguard which seems to work for me but i can't compare it against the zeiss or others. I can tell you when i sight my gun in at 300 yards i use white cardboard and a 4" red cross with regular felt marker and have no problem. in fact i could see it clearer on 9 power then through my buddies 12 power VXIII. I could see my 30cal bullet holes in the cardboard at 300 yards. 96% light transmission and yes they are made in Japan but warrantied in the USA. I had a 3200 and when the sun is down you can see there is a big difference. if the name scares you then go with Nikon although look past the name and you will be very happy.
i know what you are going through. i spent months researching but thanks to others advise know i made the right decision. any gun i get will be topped with this scope. or if i find a bunch of money a swarovski. you might find yourself putting this scope on your "first" rifle after some time.

todbartell
11-08-2007, 09:54 AM
for $260 the Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 is a good scope, but for $80 more you can buy a VXI 3-9x40 with the LR duplex, which is essentially the older Vari X II (which was a damn good hunting scope!)

Scobo
11-08-2007, 12:12 PM
I agree Leupold has a good product but the Bushnell 4200 will blow away any VXI or VXII optically and most say is at least on par with the VXIII. I personally would say as far as image sharpness my 4200 is better then the VXIII for the reason stated in my first comment. I do suggest you go to optics forums and ask the questions and read what they have to say. also, a trip down to the local shops just before dark will be a good time to compare because that is really teh only time you really get to see the difference on the mid range price scopes. But if i personally had to choose between a 3200 or VXI i would go 3200 or if VXII vs 4200 4200 all the way or if VXIII vs 4200 still 4200 all the way, i think you get my point. i would not go near the rifleman. never buy the bottom end optics from any manufacturer.

slowkey
11-08-2007, 12:42 PM
i vote for the rifleman, put it on my .270 works great

RMG
11-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Bushnell Elite 3200 without a doubt, once you try the new bushnell products there is not need to pay the extra dollars for Leupold. IMO the bushys are far superior for the price. If you want to spend more try teh Bushnell Elite 4200.

todbartell
11-08-2007, 02:36 PM
turn the power on an Elite up above 7x and you'll find it doesnt give a nice sight picture. Also, when your Bushnell scope fails, expect it back in half a year. Good luck on your choice!

FWIW the 4200 3-9x40 doesnt share the same tube construction as the 2.5-10x40 (Titanium). It has the same tube material as the 3200 (Aluminum). They do have the fully multicoated lenses though, that the 3200 do not have.

cheers

Scobo
11-08-2007, 03:58 PM
you are passing on some incorrect info Todbartell. you are right about the tube but we could save that for a different discussion if it matters but to help out longleader with his question the 3200 also has multi-coated lenses too. As far as above 7 power if its not clear then you need to set the focus on it and if that doesn't do it there is something wrong with it. my 4200 is crystal clear through all powers as are my 2 buddies 3200's without having to fuss with the focus. I was also advised that if you are buying a scope for the warranty turn around then you are buying a scope for the wrong reason. i dont' know if i totally agree with that but at the time i was doing my research the leupold and bushnell owners said the turn around times were comparitive. No idea about now but a simple call in to the local gun shops could fill you in on that if that was your worry. I suggest you go to opticsplanet they have all the info on all the brands and you can compare and even ask their expert techs questions. hope that helps you with your decision.

Mr. Dean
11-08-2007, 04:23 PM
turn the power on an Elite up above 7x and you'll find it doesnt give a nice sight picture. Also, when your Bushnell scope fails, expect it back in half a year. Good luck on your choice!

FWIW the 4200 3-9x40 doesnt share the same tube construction as the 2.5-10x40 (Titanium). It has the same tube material as the 3200 (Aluminum). They do have the fully multicoated lenses though, that the 3200 do not have.

cheers

I hear this from some, but it has not been my experience. About a year ago, one was sent in (wouldn't hold zero). 30ish days later, new one on the doorstep.

Super impressed!

longleader
11-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks very much to all who replied with their knowledge, opinions and experiences. It’ll make my choice much easier and more informed.

I will be sure to check them out really well at various power settings, and in poor light too.

Bill

444marlin
11-10-2007, 08:45 AM
I did a comparison test at the range last week with my friends Leupold 3X9 and my Elite 3200 3x9. Mine was sharper and brighter. Never had a problem with my 5 year old Bushnell. Better buy in my opinion.