PDA

View Full Version : 3-16 - Early Season Alpine Deer Hunt

Dave177
08-08-2021, 07:49 AM
Im planning an early season Alpine deer hunt and have been looking at the area east of Van Horlick Creek
across towards Stein Valley Provincial Park.

Wondering if anyone has hunted up that way and found some annimals up in the alpine areas?

Thanks

Imdone
08-08-2021, 08:34 AM
3-16 Has some good alpine deer hunting. Access is always an issue. There's a reason a guide outfit worked Texas Creek for many years.
Like anywhere, when you get further back and away from the crowds opportunity generally gets better.

Tough steep country.
Pre scout, find a water source for yourself, this year might be very different because of the very different hot weather. I would suspect cooler north sides and heavy timber nearby may be helpful this year.

Put on your boots and go, but expect long steep hard hikes, glass glass glass. Early and late in the day. You may even find them up higher in the rock, or on wind swept ridges to help cool themselves.

Good luck

Dave177
08-09-2021, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the info, glad to hear there are some animals up in that area. Happy to put some miles on the boots to find them, just nice to know that all of the looking might yield something!!

I will try and get up there for a pre season scout over the next weekend or two.

@MichelD - Thanks for your PM, I have tried to reply but your inbox is full!!

MichelD
08-09-2021, 01:51 PM
https://trailventuresbc.com/product/stein-trail-map/

Xterra
08-12-2021, 09:13 AM
I'll be up Van Horlick on September 1st, if I remember I'll let you know the conditions. If you are talking about the next fsr about 5km east that's called Blowdown, it's much nicer but sometimes access is tough for vehicles due to slides/downed trees. Bring a chainsaw. I beleive you can make it about 10k up that road before you may need to pack in the rest of the way. Enjoy! Please epost pics of the current conditions if you can. Most recent pics are 2017 ish.

Dave177
08-12-2021, 08:42 PM
Thanks, a heads up on the road conditions would be great if you can remember. I will be sure to grab some photos and write up a bit about the area once I have been up there

GoOutside
08-16-2021, 10:30 PM
I’ve been up there scouting last year and I found it has pretty low deer numbers. two half days of glassing hiking and I didn’t turn up a single deer there’s a bit of sign but not like other places I’ve been. I would say it’s well worth the extra effort to get out to the Fraser Just my experience though could just be looking in the wrong spots

wildcatter
08-16-2021, 10:37 PM
I've been in the Van Horlick and Blowdown area a few times, there is dear, bear and goats in there.
I got a nice cinnamon bear out of Van Horlick quite a few years ago.
Watch out for grizzlies.

Xterra
09-02-2021, 10:01 PM
Hey friend, just got back from Van Horlick FSR. We saw 1 grizzly back, way back, near the base of snowspider mountain. I also saw about 40 chipmunks, 1 Marmott and 2 grouse (not open until the 10th). A little bit of what looked like wolf or cougar scat, not sure, and it was old and dry. Also saw 4 other trucks hunting the area. Honestly, it was amazingly beautiful but ill likely never go back. Spend 2 days exploring every cut block in sight all the way back to the stein border and didn't see a single deer, blackbear or sign of them. Tons of berries road side. Maybe bears will be in there come October November but, again, nothing but one grizzly. Best of luck to you and stay safe, I suggest putting the time in another area.

Agustin
09-03-2021, 08:58 AM
Hey friend, just got back from Van Horlick FSR. We saw 1 grizzly back, way back, near the base of snowspider mountain. I also saw about 40 chipmunks, 1 Marmott and 2 grouse (not open until the 10th). A little bit of what looked like wolf or cougar scat, not sure, and it was old and dry. Also saw 4 other trucks hunting the area. Honestly, it was amazingly beautiful but ill likely never go back. Spend 2 days exploring every cut block in sight all the way back to the stein border and didn't see a single deer, blackbear or sign of them. Tons of berries road side. Maybe bears will be in there come October November but, again, nothing but one grizzly. Best of luck to you and stay safe, I suggest putting the time in another area.

I was there too! And the same, I saw nothing other than some grouse and chipmunks. It is gorgeous up there, though.

Dave177
09-06-2021, 06:11 PM
Well to wrap this thread up completely I will echo the comments of the other few guys in the area. I didnt see their posts until I got back to town today but there was virtually no deer sign, a bit of bear sign, and a few wolf prints and scat. Beautiful scenery up there and it was totally worth it from that point of view, not sure I will be rushing back into the area though

hickman
09-08-2021, 06:49 PM
Well, to keep the thread going.... 3-16 has great deer and bucks. Just saying... gotta look in the right places. Van Horlick probably ain't it then.

Kill-da-wabbit
09-08-2021, 08:44 PM
Well, to keep the thread going.... 3-16 has great deer and bucks. Just saying... gotta look in the right places. Van Horlick probably ain't it then.
Maybe these guys are trying to keep people out of 3-16:wink:
No problem. I have a doe draw there for November. Should be a difficult 1/2hr hunt.

MichelD
09-08-2021, 10:04 PM
No problem. I have a doe draw there for November. Should be a difficult 1/2hr hunt.

I went with a buddy on a 3-16 doe hunt three years ago. We concentrated on van Horlick and Blowdown, went up Downton too and never saw a hair or a hare.

Kill-da-wabbit
09-08-2021, 10:55 PM
I went with a buddy on a 3-16 doe hunt three years ago. We concentrated on van Horlick and Blowdown, went up Downton too and never saw a hair or a hare.
The deer are there, just not in the places that people repeatedly say they don't see any.

Arctic Lake
09-09-2021, 07:54 AM
MichelD I had sent you a PM awhile back wondering if you got it ? It was concerning the Yalakom / Shulaps
Arctic Lake

twoSevenO
09-09-2021, 08:01 AM
Areas like Texas, blowdown, and Downton are also very popular with recreational users. LOTS of hikers and 4x4 users up in these areas. Lots.

Redthies
09-10-2021, 09:56 PM
I used to be up there 2-3 days a week. Not that frequent for a while, but hit Van Horlick (both sides), Downton and Blowdown the past few days. Saw exactly ZERO animals, two sets of deer tracks, and onefamily of grouse. If they are there, (and I’m sure they are) you will have to go deep and look hard. The sheer volume of idiots on the Duffy these days is unreal. I was there midweek, and it was like a midsummer long weekend with a rally event going on. Total chitshow.

hickman
09-13-2021, 10:49 AM

Haha, yes, same here. You go for doe in November and come home with a 4pt ;-)

Rezpatrol
09-15-2021, 03:51 PM
The indian band I'm from traditionally never hunted deer in there still dont mostly black bears and wolves for fat and winter clothes. Sometimes shoot bucks by kwiooek when the coho come in November or if you got a good quad and like to hike head up toward kwiooek lake go right just before the lake Its deactivated a little was up can get a good quad in there a ways then hike up above treeline glass the whole bowl

Rezpatrol
09-16-2021, 09:47 AM
No you wont ever see it probably as we only wear at ceremonial pow wows where we dont get fun of for wearing our clothes