PDA

View Full Version : Spring Gizzly area/odds questions 4-39, 4-37, 4-34, 4-31

ElectricDyck
11-08-2007, 07:20 AM
I have been thinking about applying for spring grizzly this year in one of the areas with better odds, that are still less drive for me. The areas I've been looking at are 4-39, 4-37, 4-34 and 4-31. I know nothing about these areas and am just starting to look into more information to make my decision.

I've been told by some that the odds are better because of access, usual snow conditions or just the terrain to hunt is undesirable. Does anyone know any of these areas and might be able to lend some insight? I'd hate to draw a tag, plan a trip and end up in a Fort Ware type situation. Thanks.

KodiakHntr
11-08-2007, 09:08 AM
4-31 isn't a bad one if you can pull a tag. Reasonable access.
4-34 has better access though.
All of the regions you have selected aren't terrible, if you have the time. This isn't something you can pull off in 3 or 4 days.

RiverOtter
11-08-2007, 10:07 AM
A big problem with region 4 grizzly hunts is the snowmobile restriction. Alot of good ground is unaccessable until late in the season. I have hunted a couple of the MU's you listed and May long weekend is often the first decent access into better ground by quad/pick up. The season ends June 5 and I have seen more than one grizzly rubbed bad by that time.

RO

11-08-2007, 01:12 PM
[quote=ElectricDyck;204237]I have been thinking about applying for spring grizzly this year in one of the areas with better odds, that are still less drive for me. The areas I've been looking at are 4-39, 4-37, 4-34 and 4-31. I know nothing about these areas and am just starting to look into more information to make my decision.

Don't know about 4-31 or 4-39, but 4-34 should be OK depending on which roads Tembec has plowed out. The Spillimacheen and Bugaboo will probably both be open. Go late, lots of snow up there, no use going before the slides are down. Bear density is not real good, you'll have to hunt hard.
4-37 has great bear hunting but the West Columbia road is currently washed out, but that doesn't really matter because it's never open until late June anyway because of avalanches. Best bet is to go by boat across the lake from Bush Harbour to the old Gold river camp site and set up base camp in that area. There are several good slides within walking distance. Expect lots of snow.

See Mussio Backroad Mapbook, Kootenay Edition for location of the above.

jackychiles
11-10-2007, 10:56 PM
4-39 may not be bad but you can only access it from the top around Mica or comming in from the back side or if you have a boat you can cross the lake. Regardless, you are in for a tough hunt, that is some rough country. Good times :)

GrizGuy92
11-11-2007, 02:01 PM
4-39 is nice country, I had a draw there last spring, thats all I can tell ya.

;)