PDA

View Full Version : Plan B for lakes

CheesyLimper
08-06-2021, 12:56 PM
In two weeks I was supposed to fly into Spatsizi with the wife and kids for their first fly in hunt. Now I'm scrambling for a new idea for a fly in. I've flown out of Dease a few times but it appears there is nothing available out of there, so I'm looking further north. I can book a plane for our dates but am not very familiar with the lakes up there - I'm looking in an area from Tootsee through the Little Rancheria drainage to Captain/Alec Chief Lakes down to Looncry...anyone have any info anywhere in this area? I have knowledge of a couple lakes a bit closer to Dease Lake that I'd be very willing to share.
Thanks for any help

JAGRMEISTER
08-07-2021, 09:01 AM
Black Sheep Av. out of Watson lk. talk to Rachel

CheesyLimper
08-07-2021, 09:13 PM
I did try to get a hold of them but no response. I'm assuming they are booked. Northern Rockies Air got back though so I'm taking the kids in on a 208 Caravan...luxury time! Now I just need to learn about the lake we are going to in 12 days instead of the few months I usually take.

Black Sheep Av. out of Watson lk. talk to Rachel

ElectricDyck
08-07-2021, 10:40 PM
Sounds like the adventure has already begun! In my experience the best trips start out a bit rocky...

264mag
08-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Just a heads up, we just got back from a fly in with BC Yukon into a lake up there for sheep. Northern Rockies dropped 3 different groups in there totally 8 other guys. Hopefully they don't do that to your spot. Bill at BC yukon does not stack hunters.

Darksith
08-09-2021, 11:34 AM
Just a heads up, we just got back from a fly in with BC Yukon into a lake up there for sheep. Northern Rockies dropped 3 different groups in there totally 8 other guys. Hopefully they don't do that to your spot. Bill at BC yukon does not stack hunters.
Amazing! Why would any hunter give them any business if they are willing to stack hunters ontop of each other, or at the very least give you a heads up that they have flown other peeps into those areas! Gross...I wouldn't give them my business thats for sure.

264mag
08-09-2021, 02:50 PM
It was like YVR,,,,,

CheesyLimper
08-09-2021, 09:05 PM
Shit. You sure it wasn't Urs from Northern Rockies lodge? He stacks hunters from what I hear...

Rackmastr
08-09-2021, 09:17 PM
A lot of charters do. Alpine did it this year, BC Yukon has done it in the past, and it's just a reality with some charters. Add to the fact that most lakes are accessed by a couple charters as well as outfitters and you can't have a lot of guarantees in having a lake to yourself.

Our last moose hunt had 7-8 planes come and go on one day....made for a fun day of calling moose while watching planes circle.....lol

CheesyLimper
08-09-2021, 09:31 PM
Did you get a moose tho?

A lot of charters do. Alpine did it this year, BC Yukon has done it in the past, and it's just a reality with some charters. Add to the fact that most lakes are accessed by a couple charters as well as outfitters and you can't have a lot of guarantees in having a lake to yourself.

Our last moose hunt had 7-8 planes come and go on one day....made for a fun day of calling moose while watching planes circle.....lol

CheesyLimper
08-09-2021, 10:13 PM
To continue the amusement though, i paid a deposit 3 days ago and still haven't been able to confirm lake.

firebird
08-10-2021, 04:56 AM
As a floatplane driver I’ll add some perspective from the charter side of things.

There are only so many backcountry lakes that are safe and practical to operate in and out of, length of lake, terrain for approach and departure, depends on the airplane (super cub vs 206 etc) , fuel range or aircraft. Sometimes weather is a factor, air charter will have a full schedule everyday and if weathers not been fly able into 1 lake maybe your only options to scramble and go into another. Guys are operating expensive (million dollar planes) and ‘large’ floatplanes (ex, caravan, turbo otter), every trip out and back they want/need them full with paying clients or gear. Flying an empty plane or 1 or 2 guys is lost profit.

If you want to be the only guys in a lake then expect to pay more $. I’d definitely specify your desires before you book not just wait and see

digger dogger
08-10-2021, 07:05 AM
The way it looks up north, a guy should have plan c, and d.
I booked a plane for next sept, my 1st lake was/is taken already.
Tough go for the charter companies way up north.
Feast or famine. I've seen a few come and go since the late 90's

ryanb
08-10-2021, 07:14 AM
I think it's unreasonable to expect a charter to turn down business if more than one party wants the same lake. If it's a small area that can't support more than one party I'd suggest having a plan B or C in mind.

REMINGTON JIM
08-10-2021, 07:32 AM
It was like YVR,,,,,

did You ALL have a Meet and Greet ? :p any other members from HBC ? RJ

Rackmastr
08-10-2021, 07:49 AM
Did you get a moose tho?

Yes sir we killed two right by camp, one a really good bull! Had a fun time too.