PDA

View Full Version : 16 year long search for MISSING HUNTER!

Missing
08-06-2021, 11:31 AM
Please watch and share. I really need to get my husbands story out there. 16 years has been way too long for nothing to be found. If you or know anyone going to Spatsizi please keep an eye out for anything.
The girls and I are asking for your help to bring Tom home.

16 year long search for MISSING HUNTER! - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOXqx51w9N0)

08-06-2021, 11:34 AM
i pray one day you find closure.

Avalanche123
08-06-2021, 12:30 PM
Every year I think about this.....so sad and unfortunate. Ugh...

Hopefully you get closure one day soon.....

HarryToolips
08-06-2021, 12:50 PM
I too pray that you will have closure...

cameron0518
08-06-2021, 02:34 PM
Hopefully this year he will be brought home. Keep going and reminding people.

srupp
08-06-2021, 03:00 PM
Hmm now that a specific area is noted by hunters who found a brown tent 2 km up Eagle nest valley..hmmm
Pretty pathetic search job by RCMP...MORE effort exerted for lost dogs/ horses..
Pray for closure on this..
Srupp

srupp
08-06-2021, 04:07 PM
I have not been able to shake this tragedy. ..just can't fathom how any hunter outdoor enthusiast going into this area did not know of the missing hunter..and then finding tent jeans shirt ant not GPS LOCATION..or even forestry ribbons..marking his find..
I don't fault him..but several times have found things in the woods that instantly raised my spidey. Senses..couple can't discuss..
But one.l finding a vehicle deep in the woods no trails head long into a tree at speed. .door open..tires rotted off..lots of leAves inside vehicle..Used GPS RIBBONS..called RCMP..IT was a stolen vehicle from 12 years before.!
Found knives..packs..grow ops...etc plus a couple of even more troubling locations..somehow you just know this find needs to be reported...sad this has dragged out so long for the family...
One time flying east on a medivac told Tom my pilot that I spotted a crash site below me..we circled back found a crashed helicopter..private ? Never heard back. .no one wanted to talk...hmmm,,
Srupp

wideopenthrottle
08-06-2021, 05:56 PM
I too have read the missing hunter thread several times over the years and my thoughts are always with you...I hope so much you get the closure you need...

Jagermeister
08-06-2021, 05:58 PM
We all used to hang out at Cariboo Fly and Tackle. I remember the day Tom came to the shop. There were a bunch of us and Tom entered all giddy with excitement stating he was going to the Spatisi for sheep. He had picked the brain of another solo hunter who had made the same trip a few times previously. Merlin made a map for Tom and gave him some other pertinent instructions
I didn’t know Tom all that well only having made acquaintance with him a short time previously. I do know that he was very affable and a happy go lucky person.
Sixteen years. An awful long time, an awful long time ago. I admire Tammy and Tom’s daughters for keeping Tom in our memories and pray that soon Tom will be discovered and be brought back in to his family so they may have closure. So we all may have closure.

Mosin
08-07-2021, 12:26 AM
We all used to hang out at Cariboo Fly and Tackle. I remember the day Tom came to the shop. There were a bunch of us and Tom entered all giddy with excitement stating he was going to the Spatisi for sheep. He had picked the brain of another solo hunter who had made the same trip a few times previously. Merlin made a map for Tom and gave him some other pertinent instructions
I didn’t know Tom all that well only having made acquaintance with him a short time previously. I do know that he was very affable and a happy go lucky person.
Sixteen years. An awful long time, an awful long time ago. I admire Tammy and Tom’s daughters for keeping Tom in our memories and pray that soon Tom will be discovered and be brought back in to his family so they may have closure. So we all may have closure.

Can Merlin remember the map he drew for Tom? Has anyone ever tried to trace it?

igojuone
08-07-2021, 07:24 AM
Here's a link to Tom's missing site, http://missinginspatsizi.com

Makes a guy want to go hunt that area at least once.

igojuone
08-07-2021, 07:49 AM
What's the region for that spot?

Jagermeister
08-07-2021, 01:03 PM
Can Merlin remember the map he drew for Tom? Has anyone ever tried to trace it?When Tom failed to return home on October 2nd, Tammie immediately contacted the RCMP. Now I am not sure of the sequence of events here, but she told them about Merlin's involvement and they in turn contacted Merlin. A search was mounted immediately and Merlin was a member of that search party. One of the things that Merlin told Tom was to leave a "sign" under a rock at each campsite that he visited so in the event of a search, people would know that he had been there.
The search got on the way and was met with inclement weather. According to Merlin, snow had already accumulated and the trail in the Icebox canyon was extremely treacherous. Merlin did tell me that a "sign" was found at the first camp spot but the search was suspended shortly afterward. A second search was to go the following July, but a late spring and heavy lingering snowpack stymied the plan.
How do I know this? Merlin and I had a long discussion about the sequence of events starting with Tom's quest for knowledge from Merlin, the map with camping spots and the initial search.
Sadly, SPOT came into existence two years later. It would have given Tom's path to follow if he had one.

Bugle M In
08-07-2021, 02:32 PM
o, first off I have forward to all on my FB site.

I have watched the video (excellent job!)
I have a question or 2, if someone could help out?

He took his quad.
Was that ever found? was it with his truck? or had he left it elsewhere. (at the round 2 trip)?
Also, he never took his 2nd round of food (as it was found in the truck), so issue happened in the first 10 days appr.

So, the last question is, what was the weather during this 10 days or so? was there heavy snowfall during that time?
(i know there was during search, but what about his timeline and conditions)
I only ask because i almost lost myself after falling into a huge snow drift that sat upon a juniper bush and if not for a friend,
i may never have gotten out)
Also ask (and i have never been there so dont know the terrain) because if there was heavy snow, is it possible to have fallen
into a hidden rock crevasse?
(which if so, most hunters avoid on their hunts and never look into)

Sorry, dont mean to sound morbid, but we know the outcome isnt good but we all want closure for the family and his body
brought home.

Lastly, did anyone have direct contact with him before this hunt that may have given him some areas "to check out"?
Meaning a spot or 2 to "hit first".
Does anyone recall back then "where the sheep were hanging" that season?? (I know it is a stretch to remember).

Only asking because if someone gave him some areas to hit or tips/advice or had he seen sheep, this would be the 2 areas to
look at first.
Obviously the ram creek sounds like a lead.

Also, if anyone has leads, call the rcmp, but i would also say contact the family.
The family will have the facts and if there is some similarities or coincidences, they would know if someone reports new info.
No stone too small to help this family!
Anything, albeit insignificant could help.
A lighter, old wrappers, anything in there!

Missing
08-07-2021, 08:28 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time and watching the video.

To answer your questions, yes the quad and the truck were found together at the Eagle Nest Trail Head. Yes there was a storm that hit Spatsizi day 3 or 4 of Tom's trip. I believe it may have been a snow storm. Tom talked to coworkers before he left about making a loop and then heading back to his truck for the next 10 days of food. What loop he meant I am not sure. The RCMP/search and rescue interviewed the coworkers but I am not sure what was said.

What we have stated in the video is all the facts that we know of. If I could go back in time trust me I would have asked a lot more questions from him. I know Tom always had a well thought out plan before he left for any trip. However, plans change when you are there. What he said before he left he may have changed when he arrived and started scoping for sheep.

Your questions are always welcome so please don't stop asking them. I will answer as much as I can.

igojuone
08-07-2021, 09:21 PM
There was mention of an old tent and jeans found, any idea where? Who that hunter is, the one that came across them?

Bugle M In
08-08-2021, 01:02 AM
There was mention of an old tent and jeans found, any idea where? Who that hunter is, the one that came across them?
"In 2013, a hunter stumbled upon a brown tent, blue jeans and white T-shirt that looked as it had been there for some time".
"this was about 2 km up the Ram Creek from where the Ram Creek runs into the Eagles Nest River"

So, he was awarded the hunt in 2005, and the hunter came across this old tent in 2013, so that is 8 years.

I guess the question would be, was Tom's tent brown?
Did anybody else go up there for a hunt and "leave a tent"?
(I know there are guys that go on these hunts and pack gear in, but never pack it out).

Bugle M In
08-08-2021, 01:32 AM
here is a map of the trail that i think is mentioned where the tent/jean/shirt where spotted by a hunter (circled the area)
https://i.imgur.com/ytcTyMg.jpg

Missing
08-08-2021, 10:50 AM
All that I know is the old camp is located where Eagle Nest River meets Rams Creek. The coordinates for this intersection is (UTM Zone 9 Easting 486500 E. Northing 6388500 N.) However you will then have to follow Rams Creek 2-5 km. The camp is very hard to see and can be walked by without knowing it is there. I do not have coordinates for the camp. The hunter who found the camp years ago did not have a GPS with him.

Missing
08-08-2021, 10:51 AM
Yes Tom had a brown tent.

Bugle M In
08-08-2021, 11:53 AM
Did the hunter say on which side of Ram Cr the tent was found?
It appears Ram Cr runs north/ south, from Fish lake to Eaglenest Cr (does not say "river" on map").
Meaning, did the hunter find this tent etc on the East or West side of Ram Creek (although stuff can be blown around by now)?

You also say that a hunter winning the leh draw for this season was also given a memo to keep an eye out for anything found or
encountered due to Tom having gone missing.
Do "hikers" receive any info, info board, or is there any pamphlets present at any of the starting points of the trailheads around
Spatsizi for hikers to be made aware of and to keep an eye open?

Missing
08-08-2021, 12:58 PM
Did the hunter say on which side of Ram Cr the tent was found?
It appears Ram Cr runs north/ south, from Fish lake to Eaglenest Cr (does not say "river" on map").
Meaning, did the hunter find this tent etc on the East or West side of Ram Creek (although stuff can be blown around by now)?

You also say that a hunter winning the leh draw for this season was also given a memo to keep an eye out for anything found or
encountered due to Tom having gone missing.
Do "hikers" receive any info, info board, or is there any pamphlets present at any of the starting points of the trailheads around
Spatsizi for hikers to be made aware of and to keep an eye open?

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/s280x280/228133318_616791752840204_6164142972912543521_n.jp g?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-4&_nc_sid=aee45a&_nc_ohc=pTd59kcNGvUAX8-RkVL&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=f8969c998da925e2c0139bc3a3fcc710&oe=613797B5https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/s206x206/225769480_1018071135663031_1508879844509709754_n.j pg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-4&_nc_sid=aee45a&_nc_ohc=BsjrbUEwJCEAX_VQ7OP&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=894e0bf9f62d01649ca8475f5f3ac7a1&oe=61367899
These pictures are what I just received from the hunter who found the camp.

Years ago I would supply a letter to the LEH people who would attach it to those awarded a hunt in Spatsizi. I have not done this in years though. Otherwise, there were missing posters at Tatogga Lake Lodge, Cold Fish Cabins and Eagle Nest Trail head and all over Dease Lake, Iskut, Vanderhoof, Smithers. Posters never last in communities but the ones at Tatogga and Eagle Nest Trail head have. Every year I have turned to social media to keep his story heard. This site has given Tom lots of exposure of the years.

Bugle M In
08-08-2021, 02:55 PM
I do hope that someone reads this, that might be planning a trip up that way and might consider this info.
Sorry that RCMP and Parks dint have the time.
Its August and come Sept going into October can start to make any access in there very hard at that point due to weather it
sounds like.

Put on your FB sites guys or whatever.
You never know who might read it and might be in there or heading up.

Bugle M In
08-08-2021, 05:15 PM
Here is a larger scale map, and the correct Ram Cr in Blue line
Eaglenest Cr is the Red line.
As stated, tent will be 2 to 5km up on Ram Cr from Eaglenest Cr/Ram Cr junction:

https://i.imgur.com/t7MlKGt.png

Bugle M In
08-08-2021, 05:23 PM
Here is a close up and the "scale" in photo on bottom right is in 3km increments.
https://i.imgur.com/jLv6qF4.png

Bugle M In
08-08-2021, 05:27 PM
Wonder if anyone from WSSBC could post the youtube? again, if not already, on their site.

Bugle M In
08-08-2021, 11:21 PM
Posting up a screenshot of Tom's tent from the video.
There was a couple other photos in that video with him and the quad wearing camo and another photo (last photo of him) wearing
a cap and sunglasses.
Did he take any of those with him on the trip.
Is that the same backpack?
Are there any other photos of "gear" he took along and packed in?
Or type of gear he purchased in Smithers (as per video)?
If so, i can post them up on here.
https://i.imgur.com/Kv6Mm65.png

igojuone
08-09-2021, 07:42 AM
These pictures are what I just received from the hunter who found the camp.

Years ago I would supply a letter to the LEH people who would attach it to those awarded a hunt in Spatsizi. I have not done this in years though. Otherwise, there were missing posters at Tatogga Lake Lodge, Cold Fish Cabins and Eagle Nest Trail head and all over Dease Lake, Iskut, Vanderhoof, Smithers. Posters never last in communities but the ones at Tatogga and Eagle Nest Trail head have. Every year I have turned to social media to keep his story heard. This site has given Tom lots of exposure of the years.

What about getting the Government of BC to post info on the Provincial Parks page.

Bugle M In
08-09-2021, 10:51 AM
Missing,

Do you have a contact info for you or a family member directly?
I am talking to someone at SCI/Hunters for BC and he says he may know the GO in that area.
(I am trying to confirm that this GO actually holds the territory with Ram Cr in it)
He is trying to contact this GO to see if something on that end could happen.

If anyone knows the actual GO (if there is one there) that holds this actual territory with Ram Cr. please let us know.

It sounds to me that a lot of things up there around Spatzisi have changed.
Roads have washed out, gates have been put in place and i have heard that the FN in the area have made access a lot harder
(dont hold me to all of that if some is incorrect)
In other words, access today is way more limited then back in 2005.
And this means that there is probably way less folks, hikers for example accessing this already remote area.
So, other than for a few real hardcore hikes and die hard hunters, it sounds like there is very little traffic.

Missing
08-09-2021, 12:05 PM
I can always be reached at tleonard@goldcity.net

firebird
08-09-2021, 12:09 PM
Collingwood I believe

Missing,

Do you have a contact info for you or a family member directly?
I am talking to someone at SCI/Hunters for BC and he says he may know the GO in that area.
(I am trying to confirm that this GO actually holds the territory with Ram Cr in it)
He is trying to contact this GO to see if something on that end could happen.

If anyone knows the actual GO (if there is one there) that holds this actual territory with Ram Cr. please let us know.

It sounds to me that a lot of things up there around Spatzisi have changed.
Roads have washed out, gates have been put in place and i have heard that the FN in the area have made access a lot harder
(dont hold me to all of that if some is incorrect)
In other words, access today is way more limited then back in 2005.
And this means that there is probably way less folks, hikers for example accessing this already remote area.
So, other than for a few real hardcore hikes and die hard hunters, it sounds like there is very little traffic.

hawk-i
08-09-2021, 12:09 PM
Is the trail head to this hunt on the same road that leads to the Tahltan Sacred Headwaters?

Bugle M In
08-09-2021, 12:20 PM
I can always be reached at tleonard@goldcity.net
Missing, i cleared my Inbox, as i got an email that you have been trying to pm me but my box was full.
Go ahead and resend when you have time.

Bugle M In
08-09-2021, 09:58 PM
Collingwood I believe
Yes, i think you are correct.
A friend from SCI/hunters for BC contacted the GO (think Collingwood), who in turn contacted "Missing".
So, they have talked and the pertinent information was passed along.
Was told they will be keeping an eye on the area where the tent might be.
So here's hoping for the family!
But still, let's keep it and get it to as many ears and eyes as possible.

Moonlight TrHntr
08-10-2021, 09:14 AM
The only way to get there is flying into cold fish lake and hiking. If his camp is located north of ram creek junction he likely was headed for higher ground as he may have stayed at lower elevation and waited out the bad weather he encountered early during his hunt. I ruled out foul play considering they found a sign at the first camp. He probably injured himself and was doubling back to his truck. Recently I read a story about some kids that ran away from a residential school to go home for Christmas, they were found frozen in the snow a few kilometers from home. I would focus my search within a few kilometers from his truck. The will to survive is strong, he probably almost made it out. Unfortunately getting to that part of the trail is almost impossible with that bridge knocked out. The grizzly bear attack is a possibility, in this case he could have survived the initial mauling but was badly injured and couldn’t outrun the bear that he knows will be back to finish him. If this happened he would have tried to cross a waterway, same idea as putting a tree between you and the bear but using water. I know a hunter from Prince George that evaded a grizzly that was stalking him by crossing a river. As the story goes he was working in a guide camp and it was near end of day he was sent to grab the last quarter of moose, he became disoriented and lost daylight and realized he was being stalked by a grizzly. Covered in blood he tied his clothes to a rock and sank them before crossing the river. He crossed back over the next morning and walked out in his underwear. You may need a professional drone pilot to check the creeks and streams and also rocky areas higher up. Slips and trips when you are in the wilderness by yourself could be fatal.

Jrax
08-10-2021, 09:48 AM
Missing,
I also think about your husband every year and i hope for closure for you and family. When i am back sheep hunting in spatsizi i will have a look around some areas that are close to where your husbands tent was found.

I hiked in on the eaglenest trail and past ram creek in 2000 and we hit mostly bad weather through the 12 days. I believe it was right at beginning of august as everything was very green. When we did the hike i was inexperienced and it was in rainy, wet weather and we had a very hard time to find firewood get the fire going and hard to maintain. Buckbrush was thick and willows were high and there were places where game trails were mixed with the true trail and we would get sidetracked and frustrated. A few other things that stuck out for me in that ram creek/eaglenest creek junction area was that if i was looking for sheep i would be looking in the mountains to the northwest and northeast. They are closer with sheep and goats and much easier access. The Ram Creek camp is on the east side of Ram creek and on the north side of Eaglenest creek. Eaglenest is a big creek so difficult cross and the bushwack to the south mountains looks harder. It was easier to glass on those mountains to the north. In addition there is the trail heading north up Ram creek and it sounds like thats where his tent was found.

It has crossed my mind quite a few times of walking some of the side game trails up the ram creek area and/or hiking up the drainages there. I hope i get a chance one day.

Bugle M In
08-10-2021, 11:31 AM
I think the hunter that found the tent back in 2013 makes for some complelling evidence.
Look:
The truck/quad and extra 10 day food were found at the head of Eaglenest Cr Trailhead.
It appears this trail only runs eastward along the eaglenest cr.
He said he was going to "do a Loop".
So, there really only are 2 possible routes (main routes anyways), one being the junction at Eaglenest and RamCr, and the other
further eastward, and i think it is called Icebox.
Both Ram and Icebox run into another trail to the north (they might be 2 separate named trails up there but they link together?).
I dont think his route was east up Eaglenest, north up Ram and then west on Cullivan/Mcewan and then back along Klappan River.
Does not look like a good sheep route.

I think east on Eaglenest, north on Ram, then east on Cullivan, and then South on Icebox and back west on Eaglenest.
And the truth is, that is possible where his tent is anyways AND WHY the family and Missing has posted this thread.
TO HAVE someone go in and look if they can, because the RCMP failed last year to go in.
The RCMP handed it over to the PARKS, and they have now failed to go in.
And, the RCMP is not going to "pick up the ball" it appears before bad weather and access is impossible.
THAT IS THE ISSUE!, and why the asking for help.

We can all speculate on "what happened", be it foul play which is extremely unlikely!!
A bear incident is possible always.
But i and many others have had "accidental incidents" from bad foot placement or bad stuff like bad weather lead to a bad and
near fatal incident.
And inclement weather is another big one, and being solo just ups the ante.

Honestly, it does not matter for the family at this point right now what happened.
They are still just trying to find out "where it happened" and if he can be found.
There should be a tent, a backpack, a rifle at the very least to be discovered.
Hopefully this is his tent.
Then we go from there to see if there is a backpack nearby, and if not, we have to look upwards to the mountains close by.

They just need someone to check this lead and to get the word out to anyone and everyone.
This thread has been running since 2010.
The hunter that found this tent in 2013, "did not know" about Tom.
So obviously, the story has not made it out to everyone.
So, if we cant "go in to look", we sure as heck can "pass it on" to make others aware.

Moonlight TrHntr
08-10-2021, 05:50 PM
I would be interested in leading a coordinated search next year but I wouldn’t be able to do this myself.

I need a team of 4 that will volunteer their time, flight in and out will be paid for

1. A guide who knows the area
2. Someone trained in first aid, preferably a rock climber
3. Drone pilot

Pm if interested

twoSevenO
08-10-2021, 08:49 PM
heartbreaking. See this post always at the top of the main page and wonder about him often as i head out into the woods on my own.

Bugle M In
08-10-2021, 09:49 PM
Missing,

I did speak to someone i have gotten to know who works in Search and Rescue out of the Fraser Valley for the Aerial aspects etc.
Told him about the situation and the tent that might be a new lead etc.
I assumed that since it has been so long since Tom went missing that S & R would no longer assist.
He told me not necessarily.
He said sometimes a situation like this "might be" used for a Training Exercise that they have to do every so often.
That some Ground Managers like having something like this for training rather than just a complete "mock exercise".
I asked if he knew anyone up that way but he didn't.
He said you would have to look up Emergency Response BC and see where the nearest HQ would be for that area and get in
touch with that ground manager.

BUT, there sometimes is a "limiting factor" about Training Exercises.
They tend to do training exercises within 1 to 1 1/2 hours from their HQ, usually.

I don't know if you or any family member still talks with S&R, or if they were ever used? (only recall RCMP and family)
My friend said it "never hurts to ask".
So, just another option possibly.
Sorry, i would not know who to contact.

bearvalley
08-10-2021, 10:46 PM
The outfitter in Spatsizi has shared the map that Tammy Leonard posted with his guides that will be in the area this fall.
A couple of young guys said they’d poke around over in Ram Creek when they get some spare time.
if there something to be found there’s a good chance they’ll dig it up…..they’re kinda like bloodhounds.

digger dogger
08-11-2021, 06:08 AM
Does anyone know how long it takes to hike to the general area from Coldfish?
In descent physical shape.

Jrax
08-11-2021, 09:55 AM
I think the hunter that found the tent back in 2013 makes for some complelling evidence.
Look:
The truck/quad and extra 10 day food were found at the head of Eaglenest Cr Trailhead.
It appears this trail only runs eastward along the eaglenest cr.
He said he was going to "do a Loop".
So, there really only are 2 possible routes (main routes anyways), one being the junction at Eaglenest and RamCr, and the other
further eastward, and i think it is called Icebox.
Both Ram and Icebox run into another trail to the north (they might be 2 separate named trails up there but they link together?).
I dont think his route was east up Eaglenest, north up Ram and then west on Cullivan/Mcewan and then back along Klappan River.
Does not look like a good sheep route.

I think east on Eaglenest, north on Ram, then east on Cullivan, and then South on Icebox and back west on Eaglenest.
And the truth is, that is possible where his tent is anyways AND WHY the family and Missing has posted this thread.
TO HAVE someone go in and look if they can, because the RCMP failed last year to go in.
The RCMP handed it over to the PARKS, and they have now failed to go in.
And, the RCMP is not going to "pick up the ball" it appears before bad weather and access is impossible.
THAT IS THE ISSUE!, and why the asking for help.

We can all speculate on "what happened", be it foul play which is extremely unlikely!!
A bear incident is possible always.
But i and many others have had "accidental incidents" from bad foot placement or bad stuff like bad weather lead to a bad and
near fatal incident.
And inclement weather is another big one, and being solo just ups the ante.

Honestly, it does not matter for the family at this point right now what happened.
They are still just trying to find out "where it happened" and if he can be found.
There should be a tent, a backpack, a rifle at the very least to be discovered.
Hopefully this is his tent.
Then we go from there to see if there is a backpack nearby, and if not, we have to look upwards to the mountains close by.

They just need someone to check this lead and to get the word out to anyone and everyone.
This thread has been running since 2010.
The hunter that found this tent in 2013, "did not know" about Tom.
So obviously, the story has not made it out to everyone.
So, if we cant "go in to look", we sure as heck can "pass it on" to make others aware.

After hiking that trail, even though it is a horsetrail it is rough and long with creek crossings. I think to ram creek camp and trailhead it was about 20km. Icebox would be too far to loop and come back. McEwan trail is too far. By the time a guy solo gets to ram creek its most likely go up ram creek and either 1. Hit any of the drainages to go to the west and a possible loop back. 2. Hit any of the drainages to the west and spike camp and hunt area 3. Hunt the east or northeast drainages and come back to spike camp.

There is not much that is easily hunted before ram creek. It is very rugged terrain, there are sheep and a rediculous number of goats, more goats than anywhere i have seen in BC. Where his tent was found, no need to go further without first hunting the area unless looping back. Of course this is just my guess and i could be way off but i know that after hiking that trail a sheep hunter would be crazy chomping at the bit to get out of the timber after 20km of roughage and staring at beautiful alpine above.

Jrax
08-11-2021, 10:06 AM
Wonder if the Canadian Rangers would consider an training exersize there?

I tried posting a pic of google earth to show routes i know Tom could loop back on but the site wont let me post anything more then 16kb

Bugle M In
08-11-2021, 10:58 AM
The outfitter in Spatsizi has shared the map that Tammy Leonard posted with his guides that will be in the area this fall.
A couple of young guys said they’d poke around over in Ram Creek when they get some spare time.
if there something to be found there’s a good chance they’ll dig it up…..they’re kinda like bloodhounds.
Thats awesome.
I can only imagine the families anxiety to at least get one answer, and that is where Tom was last, as all they had was where the
truck was, and he would do a loop, but never specified where.
And the family has had to sit on this lead for 2 years now, with word that RCMP and than Parks would look into it.
So, to get word that it was not going to happen would make me insane.
If they can find that tent and can somehow be confirmed it's Tom's, then they are halfway there to get some closure.
The last minute of the video was heart breaking, as one can still see the impact even after all this time and how the incident has
left them.
Worth watching, just to add more "incentive" during the search to see how important it is.

hawk-i
08-11-2021, 11:35 AM
Its really sad that the RCMP haven't followed up on this latest lead....IMO at the very least they (the RCMP) should locate the site of the tent and do a search of this area into obvious sheep holding terrain.

16 years is way to long to not know :(

northof49
08-11-2021, 04:58 PM
After hiking that trail, even though it is a horsetrail it is rough and long with creek crossings. I think to ram creek camp and trailhead it was about 20km. Icebox would be too far to loop and come back. McEwan trail is too far. By the time a guy solo gets to ram creek its most likely go up ram creek and either 1. Hit any of the drainages to go to the west and a possible loop back. 2. Hit any of the drainages to the west and spike camp and hunt area 3. Hunt the east or northeast drainages and come back to spike camp.

There is not much that is easily hunted before ram creek. It is very rugged terrain, there are sheep and a rediculous number of goats, more goats than anywhere i have seen in BC. Where his tent was found, no need to go further without first hunting the area unless looping back. Of course this is just my guess and i could be way off but i know that after hiking that trail a sheep hunter would be crazy chomping at the bit to get out of the timber after 20km of roughage and staring at beautiful alpine above.

I agree 100% with your summary above.

If I was planning that hunt, I would have followed that same route as my natural first choice. I would have planned to set up base camp pretty much about where the old tent was reported between 2-5km up Ram Creek. And would have wanted to be set up there likely by day 3 for sure. Then plan to work both sides of Ram Creek. I likely would have opted to scout the side drainage off east side of Ram Creek first and gain elevation along the south side of it to get up out of the bottom and hopefully get to a good vantage to glass up and along both sides of that east drainage and back across to other side of Ram Creek on what would likely have been day 4.

Based on what we know it was Day 4 supposedly that the snow moved in. I think this is very important info because if Tom wasn’t expecting this, he might have been caught up high on the steeps, or back aways without decent shelter and unable to get out before getting soaked and cold. Early wet snow can be ugly as we all know and once get cold and wet or stuck up high on slippery ground it could be a bad situation quickly (hypothermia), and difficult without shelter and fire. Hard to know what scenario Tom may have encountered but I suspect it could easily be related to that early snow if it moved in unexpectedly later in the afternoon and was a decent dump. It sure would be nice for the family to get some closure soon….hopefully this thread will help gain some momentum for folks to assist with some searches around and also narrow down some potential areas to look based on routes hunters would take if planning the hunt for themselves.

The other thing to keep in mind is while its a good chance it could have been Tom’s old tent and camp on Ram Creek it is also possible it might not have been his so it would still be important to keep eyes peeled in other areas as well.

264mag
08-11-2021, 05:04 PM
I don’t know this area personally but wonder if the drainages you are referencing hold boulder fields that he would have had to cross. We all know how dangerous those are dry let alone in snow or rain conditions.

Bugle M In
08-11-2021, 06:03 PM
I was trying to look at some youtube of Spatsizi.
There was one called "Spatsizi Return" (not a great video by a long stretch)
BUT, this fellow had to get heli rescued.
Fell crossing a creek and broke knee cap.
Thats how fast things change!
And then, a year + plus later, he goes back.
You see him on a mtn top/pass, and it is frickin howlin!!!
Bad weather, alone, is a bad recipe at times.

mpotzold
08-11-2021, 07:05 PM
See POST #50
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?48116-missing-hunter-spatsizi/page5&highlight=spatsizi (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?48116-missing-hunter-spatsizi/page5&highlight=spatsizi)

bearvalley
08-20-2021, 11:48 AM
Got the news yesterday that the Terrace search & rescue team will be conducting a search in the area the tent, jeans and shirt were seen from the 21st until the 23rd of this month.
Wishing them luck!

Wentrot
08-20-2021, 12:14 PM
Got the news yesterday that the Terrace search & rescue team will be conducting a search in the area the tent, jeans and shirt were seen from the 21st until the 23rd of this month.
Wishing them luck!

fingers crossed. Awesome news.

264mag
08-20-2021, 12:17 PM
This is encouraging, my prayers to the family.

Bugle M In
08-20-2021, 01:20 PM
Wishing them luck!
Great news, thanks for posting that.
Fingers crossed here as well.

Dour
08-24-2021, 08:05 PM
Any word back from S@R. Did they find the camp ?

Missing
08-25-2021, 02:35 PM
I had a wonderful man reach out to me who belonged to Terrace SAR. He saw the video my daughter put on YouTube and wanted to help us. He proceeded to bring Tom’s story forward to Terrace SAR. The girls and I were very emotional when we heard the news that they wanted to help us search for this old camp that was found years ago. Unfortunately, the government would not back them and fund this search….

This amazing group decided to continue with the search out of pocket! I set up a GoFundMe me account (Help Search & Rescue end 16 year search for Tom) to help pay for this search. Any funds you can give will help support them as the helicopter costs are very expensive. There are no words to express how forever grateful we will be for your support and kindness.

This group of individuals gave it there all for 3 days but unfortunately nothing was located…

I am so grateful that this group of individuals came into our lives. I wish I could find words to express how they impacted us from their kindness, dedication and will to search for Tom. They will forever hold a piece of our hearts. They are all amazing!

It has been a rough road the past 16 years but we will not give up. I just wish my girls didn’t have to go through this. I wish I could fix this ache in our hearts…

Please help us bring our husband and father home by sharing Tom’s story to anyone that is going to Spatsizi. One day I know we will find answers.

Tammy

twoSevenO
08-25-2021, 02:44 PM
Sorry to hear that nothing was found :(
Kudos to those who volunteered their time.

One day the mountain will reveal her secrets ....

Bugle M In
08-25-2021, 06:09 PM
Really sorry Tammy and family.
I think what actually may have happened will be very difficult after all this time.
But, a rifle or back pack should still be out there, to at least say where he was in the end.
I do hope someone comes across one of those items one day soon.
Keep posting where ever you can, so that as many eyes can read your story and stay aware.

RiverOrange
09-10-2021, 02:01 PM
If the mountain or location is on google maps could someone leave a review there so that when people are looking into the location on google maps they see that review? Might help inform people of the search if they are looking to go there and aren't aware of the situation.

elkrub
09-10-2021, 02:14 PM
Do you have his last know location and/or his camp?

Bustercluck
03-10-2022, 08:41 PM
I can’t find the other thread, but what’s going on with that search planned for this summer? I thought there was a crew getting together with some sar people? Is there some concrete dates planned?

Id like to get involved if I can make it happen

AltaElkhunter
03-10-2022, 09:05 PM
https://www.wildsheepsociety.com/ep-45-the-search-for-tom-leonard/

264mag
03-10-2022, 09:24 PM
The draw for the rifle we donated is on Saturday at the WSSBC event, there will be some new details forthcoming in the next few weeks. Joey Prevost is organizing the search and I believe that there will be some spots available for volunteers.

Let’s find Tom!

thanks to all that bought tickets on my gun, that was incredible!

Chuck

whitlers
03-10-2022, 10:59 PM
The draw for the rifle we donated is on Saturday at the WSSBC event, there will be some new details forthcoming in the next few weeks. Joey Prevost is organizing the search and I believe that there will be some spots available for volunteers.

Let’s find Tom!

thanks to all that bought tickets on my gun, that was incredible!

Chuck

Awesome stuff Chuck. Your a good man.

I hope this search goes through.

Vortex hunter
03-10-2022, 11:04 PM
Wish you and your family Miranda and mom find peace, and most of all get the answers your looking for.Vortex

hawk-i
03-11-2022, 08:50 AM
Hopefully it works out as planned.

17 years is a long time.

Hats off to Joey and team.

Bustercluck
03-11-2022, 10:01 AM
I read the link, but I didn’t see a date or contact info for the search. I’d probably pay my own flights depending on price.

digger dogger
03-11-2022, 12:38 PM
I read the link, but I didn’t see a date or contact info for the search. I’d probably pay my own flights depending on price.

Right around $2500 in and out.

Bustercluck
03-11-2022, 12:58 PM
Right around $2500 in and out.
That’s pretty steep. I’m guessing they can fit 4-5 guys on a plane with gear?

Missing
04-05-2022, 04:12 PM
Bustercluck, I sent you a private message.

Spy
04-05-2022, 04:20 PM
Wishing them luck!
Must have missed this is there any further info?

srupp
04-05-2022, 04:27 PM
good luck and safety to all involved..thoughts and Prayers for safe successfull outcome..looking forward to results good on all who take time and effort to help.
Srupp

Bustercluck
04-05-2022, 04:30 PM
Bustercluck, I sent you a private message.
I think my inbox was full. Try again

digger dogger
04-05-2022, 04:43 PM
I’ve seen, 5 passengers, and a dog in a beaver.
Not much gear tho.
Used a lot of the lake to get up!
It’ll be June before any substantial snow has melted. (August would be the best month)
I think it was 1100.00 in and 1100.00 out.
+ tax plus backcountry landing tax.

hawk-i
08-09-2022, 07:09 PM
Has anyone heard if there was a search this summer?

264mag
08-09-2022, 07:43 PM
Yes there was a search a few weeks back. Results of that search are being analyzed by the authorities. It may be some time before we know the results. Thoughts and prayers to the family and all fingers crossed!

RiverOtter
08-10-2022, 05:13 AM
Yes there was a search a few weeks back. Results of that search are being analyzed by the authorities. It may be some time before we know the results. Thoughts and prayers to the family and all fingers crossed!
I'll take that to mean the search turned up some very important items. Hopefully the family will finally have the closure they deserve.

digger dogger
08-10-2022, 05:41 AM

Do you know what was found?

264mag
08-10-2022, 06:39 PM
There are no details at this point. That is all I know.

REMINGTON JIM
08-19-2022, 12:05 PM
This has Certainly being a Very Interesting Search . I do really HOPE there will finally be closure for the Family ! RJ

thompie505
08-24-2022, 09:58 PM
Following and awaiting any news. Hopefully the search was productive in finding closure for the family.

264mag
08-25-2022, 06:50 AM
Details coming soon. It’s in the rcmp’s hands. As soon as we know anything it will be shared.

Missing
09-13-2022, 08:02 PM
Update on 2022 Spatsizi search for my husband Tom Leonard.

On July 12-15/22 Terrace SARS searched a new area of Spatsizi due to receiving a new lead. Items were located and given to authorities. No words can express the emotions we were feeling and how high our hopes were running during the weeks following but unfortunately the items were ruled out belonging to Tom. On the same search SARS searched for the old camp that had been reported to us a few years ago but unfortunately it was not located. On September 10-13/22 Terrace SARS returned to Spatsizi to search for the old camp, unfortunately it was not located.

I would like to thank the members of Terrace Search and Rescue for their continued support, dedication and sacrifices they make to help the girls and I. I am so grateful to The Wild Sheep Society of BC and The Hunter Conservationist for giving me an opportunity to bring awareness to Tom’s story through their podcasts. All those who have reached out to us to offer kind words and support by email and through the hunting forums, you truly have touched our hearts. We thank those who have helped with helicopter funds by donating to the go fund me account. To the Wild Sheep Society and all their members your support means the world to us. We are beyond grateful to Chuck for donating the rifle to the Wild Sheep Society for the raffle. All of you are the reason the search was able to happen this year and for that we are forever grateful.

Please continue to share Tom’s story to whoever is heading to Spatsizi. It just takes locating one item to change our world forever.

Tammy Leonard

“My Dad saw his life from a great altitude, as if through a landscape outstretching mountain ranges. He lived a fearless life of adventure. He was real and true, with a heart the size of the moon he laid under most nights. His life encompassed his passion of the outdoors, weaving itself into every aspect of his life. He honoured all those he loved through the experiences of beauty and simplicity seen in the places he called home. He continues to live a life of great proportion among the outstanding mountains of the Spatsizi Plateau. Watching from above the adventures we lead in his honour.”

Words by Tom’s daughter Shamara