PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Lakes Air cancels all flights.

CheesyLimper
08-05-2021, 06:07 PM
Letter from Alpine Lakes Air I got today...Sh!t.

Dear customer,

We're writing in regards to a flight(s) you have booked with us out of Kluachon Lake on or after August 9. 2021.

At the start of this season, we were forced to relocate our float plane base from Tatogga Lake to Kluachon Lake as a result of the pandemic. Unfortunately, we have experienced numerous challenges operating out of the new Kluachon base which have led us to the decision that we need to shut down our operations out of Kluachon for the remainder of the season. We sincerely apologize for the disappointment this causes. We know what these trips mean to you, especially this year, and realize the disruption this causes to your travel plans.

Once again, if you have an outbound flight booked with us out of Kluachon Lake on or after August 9, that flight is now cancelled.

If you have a return flight booked with us after August 9, 2021, we are still committed to picking you up and returning you back to Kluachon.

Best wishes,
Alpine Lakes Air

CheesyLimper
08-05-2021, 06:17 PM
Is BCYukon the only other option?

Memphis_87
08-05-2021, 07:14 PM
Long time listener first time caller.

Just received the same email. trip booked for end of September. Scrambling to figure out logistics now. Very disappointing

CheesyLimper
08-05-2021, 07:16 PM
Yeah, some will have only 4 days notice. I was leaving August 21 with kids for their first fly in hunt...

Memphis_87
08-05-2021, 07:29 PM
I never even thought about trips booked before ours. Not a very promising scenario for anyone, hopefully some can figure something out.

Norwestalta
08-05-2021, 08:32 PM
If anyone is interested I could put you in touch with a float plane out of dawson creek.

CheesyLimper
08-05-2021, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the offer. Won't work for me this year I think, but would be interested down the road.

If anyone is interested I could put you in touch with a float plane out of dawson creek.

Memphis_87
08-05-2021, 09:55 PM
Sent you a pm Norwest

northernguy
08-06-2021, 06:45 AM
Be careful if you find another float plane to fill in. Be sure they have an Operating Certificate from Transport Canada and a Licence from the Canadian Transportation Agency. Otherwise you may be flying with a private pilot with little experience, insufficient insurance, and the plane will likely not be maintained to Commercial Air Service Standards.

You may also be stuck in the bush if the operator is shut down by Transport Canada for operating an illegal air service while you are out on your hunt. I have seen it happen.

Ridgehunter604
08-06-2021, 07:23 AM
Damn that’s really crappy. Going to leave a lot of folk scrambling or worse without a flight.
that’s got to be hard for business as well, I’d assume an outfit like that this is there busy season so that’s a lot of money to throw away. Also doesn’t bode well for client satisfaction to book next year.

Rackmastr
08-06-2021, 08:16 AM
That plan is down the drain for me this year!

Back to the drawing board......

180grainer
08-06-2021, 08:25 AM
Wonder what it was about COVID that caused them to be "forced" to relocate their airplane base from Tatogga to Kluachon.

bighornbob
08-06-2021, 09:37 AM
Wonder what it was about COVID that caused them to be "forced" to relocate their airplane base from Tatogga to Kluachon.

Last year Tatogga lake lodge remain closed due to covid. The local First Nations rented or leased the whole lodge and we’re cooking meals and providing lodging to mine workers in the area. It was touch and go last year if they were going to fly or not but we were able to get out and had no issues but there was strict covid protocols in place that we were prepared for but no one was enforcing.

assume it’s the same issue this year, locals don’t want outsiders coming in and May have put harder covid rules. Who knows local First Nations May have said people flying out might need to be fully vaccinated to go through tatogga lake resort property. Maybe rules weren’t being followed for the first few people being flown out and their permission slip got pulled.

who knows?? Just speculating

CheesyLimper
08-06-2021, 10:01 AM
They switched to Kluachon in mid June I believe but am also unsure why. I have no idea what the problems with Kluachon are.

Last year Tatogga lake lodge remain closed due to covid. The local First Nations rented or leased the whole lodge and we’re cooking meals and providing lodging to mine workers in the area. It was touch and go last year if they were going to fly or not but we were able to get out and had no issues but there was strict covid protocols in place that we were prepared for but no one was enforcing.

assume it’s the same issue this year, locals don’t want outsiders coming in and May have put harder covid rules. Who knows local First Nations May have said people flying out might need to be fully vaccinated to go through tatogga lake resort property. Maybe rules weren’t being followed for the first few people being flown out and their permission slip got pulled.

who knows?? Just speculating

ryanb
08-06-2021, 06:18 PM
Well that sure sucks for everyone booked with them. It's a tough go for air charters at the best of times, and these certainly aren't the best of times. Hopefully they can work with people to come up with alternate plans, maybe flying out of Smithers instead if practical.

Memphis_87
08-07-2021, 11:39 AM
I’m sure their decision was not made lightly and would assume a good chunk of revenue will be lost.

Alpine lakes air has more or less left everyone to fend for themselves (from what I can tell from our experience). There hasn’t been any advise put forward as far as another company to contract, however, they did give us the option of flying out of their home base in Smithers for a cool $11,000 but unfortunately, like most, this is just not realistic. I’ve never dealt with them in the past and up until the cancelation they were great to deal with but now, unfortunately, the taste has soured and I will no longer consider them an option for future flights.

Back to the drawing board…

digger dogger
08-07-2021, 02:05 PM
Check with BCYukon, they may be able to take up some slack.

bearvalley
08-10-2021, 11:01 PM
There’s a Beaver flying off the same dock at Kluachon Lake that Alpine Lakes is using.
A lot of you know the main pilot, Keith who operated out of Dease Lake.
Klappan Air
250-234-3020