PDA

View Full Version : Up north again possibly, need some info?

browningboy
08-04-2021, 09:32 PM
Haven’t been up North in 10 years plus, we used to hunt the Beaton area for moose and elk, and now with the open bison draw that was in the area we used to hunt, so thinking of a multiple species hunt? Here’s the thing, haven’t been for years, hear it’s been hit hard by oil and gas and not worthwhile, but really is it that bad? Would bison be a possibility or a pipe dream?
We miss going but also don’t want to waste a bunch of time and money? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Husky7mm
08-04-2021, 10:29 PM
I will Try and help tomorrow if I have s minute.

browningboy
08-04-2021, 10:43 PM

Thank you!

Ferenc
08-04-2021, 11:15 PM
It’s still the same when it rains , make sure all your gear and equipment are in order .

ACE
08-05-2021, 07:47 AM
It's very busy up there.
Not like it was in the past.

browningboy
08-05-2021, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the replies! Kind of sucks as we used to love going up there, would like to go again but no be in a gong show so to speak, what about the Inga Lake- Crying Girl area by the Graham/Halfway? Less busy possibly, although there may not be any opening for bison just be nice to get up north?

Darksith
08-05-2021, 10:23 AM
Haven’t been up North in 10 years plus, we used to hunt the Beaton area for moose and elk, and now with the open bison draw that was in the area we used to hunt, so thinking of a multiple species hunt? Here’s the thing, haven’t been for years, hear it’s been hit hard by oil and gas and not worthwhile, but really is it that bad? Would bison be a possibility or a pipe dream?
We miss going but also don’t want to waste a bunch of time and money? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Be prepared for the biggest gong show you ever did see. Makes Chetwynd look like a fly in hunt from what I have heard.

swampthing
08-05-2021, 06:10 PM
That area has taken a pretty good beating! I considered it a Serengeti 30 years ago. The moose are thin as are the caribou. Its definitely busy these days too but its still a nice place to hunt. If taking an animal is more important than hunting then best to find new ground.

Ubertuber
08-05-2021, 07:10 PM
It’s still the same when it rains , make sure all your gear and equipment are in order .
Hahaha, quoted for truth.:) Nothing like Northern mud.

As everywhere, the North is not what used to be. That said, we still head up every two years for our hunt. Oil and Gas work have certainly made a difference to the area we frequent the last 20 years, but we still manage to bag an animal or two.
If you already are familiar with an area I'd suggest giving it a try. The experience is always worth the effort.

browningboy
08-05-2021, 08:31 PM

FYI…your box is full now and won’t receive anymore messages…

browningboy
08-05-2021, 08:34 PM
It sounds like the bison area is taking a beating, in which sucks as it was a beautiful area, got some good tips elsewhere up North so may try it out and thanks to everyone. Been putting in for bison since 1995 and goose eggs, just was hoping for that but happy with an elk!

Sitkaspruce
08-05-2021, 08:57 PM
Its only going to get busier as most of the country east of the hwy is shut down for the rut (Oct 1-15). so where do the hunters go? Cram them into smaller and smaller areas and it gets busy fast. Now with the BRFN decision, that is going to start even more closures. Pretty soon it will be closures all over the Peace. No more August season and then no more rut hunt, for those who have to buy a license.

PM me and we can chat about the areas you have interest in.

Cheers

SS

Cheers

SS