PDA

View Full Version : Kootenay Elk

ribber
11-07-2007, 09:24 PM
I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestiions for some first time bowhunters about where to go for elk, I want to plan something for next year for 3-4 guys and some new hunters, any ideas?

J_T
11-07-2007, 11:09 PM
First time elk bowhunters, or first time bowhunters?

There is lots of elk country in BC. First you have to consider where in the province you want to hunt?

Lots of decisions to make:
High country or low country? Work hard, or work harder? Early season or in the GOS?

Depending on your decisions, I might have information of interest.

JT

ribber
11-08-2007, 01:49 PM
:razz: Sorry I should have been more specific, My self , first tme bowhunter, old time rifle hunter shot a few elk,next guy first time anythig but raring to go, he's a bowhunter [ too much crap to get a rifle] third guy old time bowhunter long ago a rifle hunter but not now another 2 guys just rifle never been elk hunting, and a couple of the bowhunter's mid twenties kids just starting out too, I was thinking of maybe 7-10 days, starting with archery season then switch over to rifle, put in for LEH cows and see what comes up , that's why I'm starting early for info, thanks, ribber

Nooker77
11-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Well I was in Jaffrey area for almost 3 weeks this year and the cows got HAMMERED by the senior/Jr open season....we had a cow LEH and they where so spooky!! If your all newer bow hunters I'd maybe stick to the deer for a season or 2..I've been bowhunting for 15years and still havent arrowed an elk...hard to get into my comfort range of under 40yds!! Rifle season is fun....as for an area to hunt....GOOD LUCK...most elk hunters wont tell you any of there spots....as for me I hunt the "ZIPPER MOUTH CREEK" area alot!! LMAO Cheers and good hunting!!

J_T
11-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Ribber, there's lots of country. Depending on where you want to hunt in the province, I might have some suggestions.

Interesting comment that you might consider overlapping the bow only and the rifle. I see a lot of guys do that. And on the opening morning of the rifle GOS, everything changes. It isn't like your seeing animals but just not in bow range and then on the opening day of rifle you just take your firearm out and smoke one. Just doesn't happen that way. All of a sudden you find yourself playing catch up again.

Another common mistake is showing up for the hunt the day or night before it opens. If you're going to be starting your hunt on the opening day. It is the opening day that is most important. Showing up two days in, or the night before, because it doesn't fit the work, wifespouse or kids schedule, is a huge compromise.

Commit to one way and stick to it. Put in for your LEH's. See what comes up.

Keep in touch.

ribber
11-10-2007, 06:28 PM
:lol:Thanks again for your replies, maybe this isn't such a good idea for us first timers, I'll get in touch with the bunch and discuss our option and your comments. thanks again, ribber