PDA

View Full Version : 25 does... 2 bucks

Sharkey
11-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Up in the bright foggy yonder today in Region 8, we noticed that in 27 deer, we only saw 2 bucks... I thought they'd be in full rut by now. One of the bucks we saw was a 4 point whitetail - I'll show you where he is if you take me with you! We tracked him for ages and turned up with nothing but wet clothes... darn rain! Was a good day though - brought home some of that elusive grouse everyone's talking about...
~D

Marc
11-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Well Grouse is better then nothing. At least you got out and got some fresh air.

hunter1947
11-08-2007, 06:08 AM
A person doesnt always fill there tag when out on hunts ,but at least you got a grouse http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Fisher-Dude
11-08-2007, 08:21 AM
That's not unusual Sharkey, quite often the bucks are around but will lurk back in the bush a ways. When we all get distracted by the does standing out in the open, the buck will slip away into the thickets.

Sometimes, I've had does pass by me, then 20 - 30 minutes later the buck will sneak past. That's when patience pays off if you can wait him out. ;-)

Sharkey
11-08-2007, 10:01 AM
We certainly did our share of 'hurry up and wait'. I was just surprised that of all those does just hanging around - we only saw the two boys. They didn't give any hints either - no turning back to look etc... Oh well. We had a great day - it was neat to see so many deer. I've just never seen that many in a day. So much to learn.... I am hopeful to get my first deer this year but if it doesn't happen, there's always next year. We did put half a moose in the freezer and I'm thankful for that. I'm so happy to have this website as a learning tool and a fabulous reference. Thank you all so much for helping me learn!!
~D

CoqTrophys
11-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Were they Mule deer or whitetails? Mulies are getting into full rut but those whiteys have a little bit longer yet. Right about the time they switch it over to bowhunting only is the ideal time to hunt whitetails. Good luck on the first deer.

steepNdeep
11-08-2007, 10:32 AM
That sounds about right... I was out last weekend and saw ~ 75 deer with 8 buck - two being 4x4's. It seems that about 10% of deer that I see pre-rut are bucks. The bucks were all doggin' does... so the rut is definitely getting started! With a freezer full of elk, I may eat that muley tag for the first time, holdin' out for a monster... :smile:

Fisher-Dude
11-08-2007, 11:11 AM
I saw a totally rut-drunk muley buck (impressive 20" wide 2 point!) right in town yesterday on my way to work. He was sniffin the ground, and walked right up to the grill of the D-Max and continued on by, unconcerned about the diesel idling 10 feet from him! Obviously a hot doe had passed by earlier.

Sharkey
11-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Were they Mule deer or whitetails? .

1 - 2 point mulie buck
6 - mulie does
1 - 4 point whitetail buck ( he was QUICK! )
19 - whitetail does - some with babies from the spring

boxhitch
11-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Obviously a hot doe had passed by earlier.Or she had been bumped off the bumper somewhere along the way. Any hair ?