PDA

View Full Version : is this legal?

Weasle
11-07-2007, 08:13 PM
A friend has asked me to take out a deer or 2 off his property by way of bow. It is only 5 acres with houses and a major rd near by. Can I do it legally? Your thoughts and advise please
Thanks

Paulyman
11-07-2007, 08:16 PM
what city is it in, every city has different bylaws as far as dicharging weapons are concerned.the regs will point you in the right direction

sako7mm
11-07-2007, 08:28 PM
As Paulyman said, check the bylaws. Also, you can't hunt within 100m of a residence / barn with livestock, etc.

Will
11-07-2007, 09:53 PM
A friend has asked me to take out a deer or 2 off his property by way of bow. It is only 5 acres with houses and a major rd near by. Can I do it legally? Your thoughts and advise please
Thanks
Even if "Legal" is it a "smart" thing to do ?

I'd be worried about where the deer may decide to die...could be quite the circus :neutral:

boxhitch
11-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Also, you can't hunt within 100m of a residence / barn with livestock, etc.
I went looking for this in the regs, couldn't find it.
It is illegal to discharge a firearm within 100 m of a residence or dwelling, school, etc.(Firearms Act)
There also has to be an open season.

Paulyman
11-07-2007, 10:38 PM
C'mon live on the edge, give it a go.

todbartell
11-07-2007, 10:49 PM
As Paulyman said, check the bylaws. Also, you can't hunt within 100m of a residence / barn with livestock, etc.

doesn't that only apply to firearm discharge?

jessbennett
11-07-2007, 10:57 PM
only firearms. and it is legal to shoot a bow in a no shooting area as well.

J_T
11-07-2007, 11:02 PM
A couple of questions i might have.

What is your confidence level? IE, how many bow kills have you got already? (this pertains to you knowing what to expect)

Do you expect the animal to drop on the spot?

Do you think from a visual and social perspective this is wise? IE, the people you would be doing this on behalf of, do they currently have a good relationship with their neighbours? When the animal dies on the neighbours front lawn, will that be ok? Will we see a picture in the local news and will we read on here about bowhunting poachers?

It isn't about legal. Sometimes it's about, "acceptable".

Big7
11-07-2007, 11:30 PM
That's kinda funny he WANTS you to shoot the deer...most times it's like squeezing blood from a stone to get land owners to let you hunt on their property!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-08-2007, 06:04 AM
I went looking for this in the regs, couldn't find it.
It is illegal to discharge a firearm within 100 m of a residence or dwelling, school, etc.(Firearms Act)
There also has to be an open season.

That's what I thought as well but I did find the rule at the top of pg13.............................................. ....................."It is unlawful to hunt or discharge a firearm within 100 meters of a church, school builing, school yard, playground, regional district park, dwelling house, or farm or ranch that is occupied by persons or domestic animals"
Of course that only applies to neighbouring properties if you have permission for his property.

SSS

J_T
11-08-2007, 07:07 AM
I assumed because this is in the bowhunting section we were talking about using a bow to take an animal.

The references to the discharging of a firearm, don't apply.

Still doesn't make it a good idea though.

Onesock
11-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Do you have your "Social License"?

Stone Sheep Steve
11-08-2007, 08:22 AM
I assumed because this is in the bowhunting section we were talking about using a bow to take an animal.

The references to the discharging of a firearm, don't apply.

Still doesn't make it a good idea though.

The focus of my quote was on the "hunt" part. Maybe I should only have highlighted the "hunt" part. We were just trying to clarify the "legal" aspect of the situation. Remember the thread title "Is this legal?"

SSS

Scobo
11-08-2007, 08:51 AM
I 2nd SSS. Hunt by definition in the regs is:

Hunt and Hunting - includes shooting at,
attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following
after or on the trail of, stalking, or lying
in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of
those things, whether or not the wildlife is
then or subsequently wounded, killed or
captured:
(a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or
(b)while in possession

Also, with a bow you can most likely expect the deer to go a min of 75yards with a perfect shot so picture where it could end up. Typically they won't run into the open but could drop while crossing a road or who knows. But, i think the definition of "hunt" sums it up. You could use one of those arrows with the string attached and time him down if you are really quick ;)

kishman
11-08-2007, 10:00 AM
I see your from Abby too. Get yourself a copy of the Fraser Valley Special Area map from Hubs and it'll clearly show you where shooting is a go/no go. There's plenty of areas down on the flats that you can shoot it's just access that's the issue. Good luck.

Bow Walker
11-08-2007, 10:11 AM
IMHO......you would need to satisfy a number of criteria before the shot.

1. you'd need to be damned sure that you can take the lungs and heart out with 1 arrow.

2. you'd have to get it when it's as far away from any dwellings or roads so that it won't embarrass you when it bolts.

3. the size of the property is (IMO) large enough but... is it wooded, is it hilly, is it wide open field, is the road that busy that someone will see you and report the incident thereby drawing a lot of unwanted attention to you?

These things play a big part in the final decision. If you can satisfy the above - then do the deed, maybe offer some meat to the neighbour(s).

Gateholio
11-08-2007, 12:18 PM
The 100 metres thing doesn't apply if it is your house or you have permission.:razz:

Check local "No Hunting/Discharge of Firearms or Bows" by laws.

If it's legal it's up to you....Myself, I dont' hink hunting is something to be ashamed of or hide, so if others end up observing it, it's fine by me.:p

sako7mm
11-08-2007, 12:43 PM
[quote=Gatehouse;204337]The 100 metres thing doesn't apply if it is your house or you have permission.:razz:[\quote]

Actually, it does apply around your own house as well...... Unless the bolded part below applies,

No Hunting Areas

It is unlawful to hunt or discharge a firearm within 100 metres of a church,school building, school yard, playground,regional district park, dwelling house, or farm or ranch building that is occupied by persons or domestic animals. Owners and occupiers or their employees or agents are exempted near dwelling houses or farm or ranch buildings in order to protect crops and livestock.

Gateholio
11-08-2007, 03:05 PM
[quote=Gatehouse;204337]The 100 metres thing doesn't apply if it is your house or you have permission.:razz:[\quote]

Actually, it does apply around your own house as well...... Unless the bolded part below applies,

No Hunting Areas

It is unlawful to hunt or discharge a firearm within 100 metres of a church,school building, school yard, playground,regional district park, dwelling house, or farm or ranch building that is occupied by persons or domestic animals. Owners and occupiers or their employees or agents are exempted near dwelling houses or farm or ranch buildings in order to protect crops and livestock.

Hmm, that's interesting, coudl be a few ways to interpret that. I wonder what the actual *law* is about this, since the synopsis is not the law.

I dont' see how an owner of a house can be prevented form shooting near it, if in an area that it is legal to discharge firearms.

Walksalot
11-08-2007, 05:04 PM
All you need is for a deer with a sucking chest wound to end up in some persons yard. You could achieve celebrity status in short order with camera crew in your face.

huntcoop
11-08-2007, 08:33 PM
For all you seasoned bowhunters out there........a perfectly placed broadhead from a compound bow, how far could the animal go? Being a rookie with 0 bow kills, I'm curious.

BCLongshot
11-08-2007, 08:55 PM
To be legal you have to have the insurance and go to the municipal hall to purchase the $ 10 license then smoke'm

boxhitch
11-08-2007, 09:34 PM
No Hunting Areas

Again, the INTENT of the law is what would come up in court. So, if you are an 'agent', and the deer is eating the crop of lawn, have at'er.

J_T
11-08-2007, 10:02 PM
For all you seasoned bowhunters out there........a perfectly placed broadhead from a compound bow, how far could the animal go? Being a rookie with 0 bow kills, I'm curious. From 0 to 75 yards. Depends on a number of variables. The same shot in the first instance could put an animal down in a few strides, the same shot another time, might take about 75 yards for the animal to succumb.

I agree, the letter of the law is important, however I'm sure the social and perceived aspects of this act are equal to, or outweigh the legalities.

While some posts here are attempting to define the legalities of the "hunt" I don't see where this IS a hunt. Isn't hunting where you meet an animal, on his terms in a fair chase environment?

But it is high risk.

Did someone mention name in paper and cameras?

Bowzone_Mikey
11-09-2007, 05:38 PM
For all you seasoned bowhunters out there........a perfectly placed broadhead from a compound bow, how far could the animal go? Being a rookie with 0 bow kills, I'm curious.

0 - 100 yrds ... nice even number ...it all depends upon the animal ... we all know deer can for miles on adreniline ...thats why Whooping is not really an option when the shot hits home untill you know the thing is dead ....

I have shot a doe right thru the heart and it walked 2 steps before keeling over .... I shot a buck through one lung and and tore the heart to shreds and it went probally close to 100 yrds

a less than perfect shot can go from 0 yards to unlimited (My first 2 archery kills were spined animals ...both dropped imediately ...both had another arrow shot into them to make the harvest quicker)

Gateholio
11-09-2007, 06:17 PM
If the activity is legal, it's really up to the individual to make the decision if he wishes to partake in a particular activity.

I've had my name and face in the paper a few times regarding hunting. I am not ashamed about what I do, so I feel no need to hide my activities.

J_T
11-09-2007, 06:45 PM
thats why Whooping is not really an option when the shot hits home yeah, aint that the truth.

Gatehouse. While I understand your comment when we participate in an activity, we do represent the general community though.

It's one thing to be a driver and everyone hate you, but the profile that hunting demands and the actions of one can impact the whole. When we participate, we should adhere to the unwritten code.