PDA

View Full Version : How do you solo hunt elk?

KBC
08-02-2021, 12:57 PM
This will be my third year heading out to the Kootenays in archery season looking for elk. So far I’ve just camped at the truck and rode the ATV around until I found a spot to hike in a bit. 2 years ago I called a bull in to not quite close enough and last year I didn’t find any elk so I’m thinking of changing things up a bit and leaving the ATV at home and being more mobile with the truck but not able to get as far in with the grocery getter and just hiking.

I just need to pick up a new sleeping bag before the season starts and I’m pretty much set up to hike in and camp as well.

So how do you solo hunt elk? From the truck? Backpack in? I’d be curious to hear any strategies from guys who kill elk more often than not.

Cheers!

Ron.C
08-02-2021, 01:48 PM
I've done quite a few solo elk hunts with bow and rifle and been lucky enough to get some elk with both. For camp when hunting alone, I like to keep it simple and what works best for me is to either sleep in the back of my truck, or just throw up my backpacking tent and camp where I' am going to set off from the next morning. This is what I did last year.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/truck19.jpg

I think hiking in and spiking out is a great plan if you have a good area to hunt and it's still within your ability to get an elk out by yourself. I have several spots inside vehicle closed areas that I always intend on getting in and spiking out to hunt but I always seem to find some elk in the easier access spots and don't end up hunting the areas further back.

If you are hunting by yourself, be very conscious or where you set up and call. In my experience, thicker is better. You want to make him want to come looking for the source of the sound and don't want them to be able to sit way back and scan from a distance.

I also use a decoy (my old renzo's cow elk decoy is still kicking). You've fooled his ears if you can get him to come in but when he does, if you can fool his eyes and get him looking at something your chances of getting a shot go way up.

I also don'y bugle allot. I have had a pile of success with cow elk calls.

And always be ready. Any time you call, expect an elk may show up (and sometimes fast) I'd say about 80% of the elk I've called in during archery season came in without calling in return or making little to no noise ( like they are sneaking in to see what's up)

J_T
08-03-2021, 08:33 AM
I'd like to help you out, and would like to see you have a good hunt. What time of the season?
Expectation is important. Manage it on the family side and your own.
With the hours of sunrise and sunset the elk hunt is a marathon.

I would not stay out on the mountain. Not really much need. Camp out of the truck. Better sleep.

1) Glass logical areas in the evening. They'll be nearby in the morning. The moon makes a bit of difference on what you can expect. IE they can feed/move farther in a moon lit sky.
2) Staying mobile and working out of a vehicle allows you to drive drainages in the late night hours. If you bugle well, you can send out a long high pitched searching bugle and if you get a hit, make a plan to be in close in the morning.
3) Hiking in to areas where you would expect them to be and look for sign that they are there. Elk stink. So if you smell them, they are around. Within a day or so.

KBC
08-03-2021, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the advice guys and the PMs from Ron.
I’ll be heading out on Friday September third and have the whole next week off to chase them. As far as expectations, I’m getting to the point in starting to expect some more. I’ve been at this about 7 years and killed one deer in rifle season. I’ve had several close calls with deer, bears and elk in that time. Almost all my hunting has been solo other than a couple days here and there so I haven’t been out with anyone with much experience to learn from. I think I’m getting to the point that I’ve learned enough that at some point I will start to see some better results.

Because of this I think my family doesn’t expect me to bring home any meat lol.

I feel pretty good about my calling as I’ve had a few elk interested over the past couple years both in archery and rifle season.

J_T
08-03-2021, 09:41 AM
^^ hunting the Kootenay and starting around the 3rd or 4th, depending on the weather, you are probably looking for elk mid slope and higher. The first few days of September, the elk are often still in their summer feeding and movement patterns. But, with the Bulls rubbing off around the 20th of August, they will start to look for the cows, join up with them or hang out nearby. We often find, that after the first 3days of Sept, with a little pressure and primitive instincts kicking in, the bulls will convince the cows to move off the summer range and up the mountain. This depends on insects, heat, water, food and lust. It only takes one old bull wanting to get things going, or one cow going in to estrus a touch early to set things off. (elk-chaos)

Like in life, it's important to know, the bulls don't choose the cows. The cows choose the bull. Find the cows and keep your eye on them.

KBC
08-03-2021, 06:13 PM
That sounds like great advice, thanks.

todbartell
08-04-2021, 09:57 AM
If you've hunted the area before, you'll want to make a quick check of all the usual areas you know of and evaluate what you see for sign, or lack of sign. If you check and don't see much sign, since it's been such a dry summer, you'll want to look for some pockets that still have some water. Finding the water is key. Small creeks and drainages on north and east facing slopes will be worth a look. Aspen stands are also good.

If you're hunting areas not familiar to you, then you'll want to find areas that offer food, water and sanctuary cover within a small area

When searching for elk, you'll want to focus your efforts in the morning and evening closer to feeding areas. In the middle parts of the day, you'll want to be in heavier cover. Be careful about wind direction as you don't want to blow them out of their bedding area.

Early September you may have good results using bull vocalizations to locate and call in bulls, as they may still be sorting out their pecking order prior to the rut and be interested in checking out the new bull in town

upnover
08-04-2021, 10:26 AM
KBC...i can add a couple of important things, but you may already know them. One is to seek out elk in north facing avalanche chutes. Hugely important in the heat. If there is a bit of water, thick timber and difficult to hike to, you have found elk ( and bear) heaven. And have you thought about hunting in an outfitters territory? This might be another bad year for them for clients what with border refusals for unvaxed americans. That means 2 years in a row. Maybe just maybe you can use a good horse trail to spike it closer to a bull. Do not feel bad about doing this because the underemployed guides will be peeking into those same drainages for their own benefit...beat them to it!

Imdone
08-04-2021, 10:40 AM
KBC...i can add a couple of important things, but you may already know them. One is to seek out elk in north facing avalanche chutes. Hugely important in the heat. If there is a bit of water, thick timber and difficult to hike to, you have found elk ( and bear) heaven. And have you thought about hunting in an outfitters territory? This might be another bad year for them for clients what with border refusals for unvaxed americans. That means 2 years in a row. Maybe just maybe you can use a good horse trail to spike it closer to a bull. Do not feel bad about doing this because the underemployed guides will be peeking into those same drainages for their own benefit...beat them to it!

Great advice above.
Do just that.
It's especially rewarding to get one under the nose so to speak.
They offer no deals to residents or blue collar so have at er.

KBC
08-04-2021, 11:54 AM
Haha good idea. Now how do I find these outfitter areas?

upnover
08-04-2021, 01:22 PM
This is tough if your not local, and you don't have much time until sept.3rd. imapbc can overlay guide territories, then google earth the main lodges that are on fsroads, then look at the drainages surrounding. You don't have much time but wherever you plan to go, this might help if your really getting skunked. And might help for subsequent years.
You are attempting something that is very difficult to accomplish, but is also dangerous. Solo bow hunting in bear country. Please remember that the danger level goes up exponentially after that thing hits the ground. Every return trip you take to get more meat out....please be careful, and remember it is okay to turn your back on a bull if you dont think you can get him out quickly.

KBC
08-04-2021, 02:06 PM
Yeah it is a little scary sometimes when you are out there solo. I have an InReach and I also pack a shorty 12g.

walks with deer
08-04-2021, 02:49 PM
Break the animal down and move the peices 100yds at a time keeping all the meat toghether slowly making a distance from guts and bones...i carr

KBC
08-04-2021, 03:22 PM
That’s my plan. Gutless method and get everything away from the guts ASAP and shuttle it a little ways at a time.

Ron.C
08-11-2021, 08:32 AM
Another fan of Gutless method here. While butchering , I move the quarters 100 yards or so upwind from the carcass as they come off. If the work is going to be done at night (as is usually the case with me as most my kills seem to be within the last 1/2 hour of legal light) I may go a little farther depending on the terrain ( I hate leaving meat in thick bush/brush I can't survey from a distance).

I've done a few solo elk and I found shuttling the meat a short distance at a time to be pretty inefficient (actually wore me down fast with so many load/unloads) and I abandoned that method a few shuttles in. I guess the upside to this is you always have all your meat close and not left on 1 spot to long. I'm not a big guy and getting that heavy pack on and off is the worse part so I'd rather load and go and get one all the way out. You also don't want to pigeon hole yourself by getting all your meat into a nasty route. If up hump your meat all the way out one at a time and you run into thick bush, pecker poles, blow downs etc. on the first trip, you can avoid it on the second ( found that one out the hard way). The first trip can be the worse as you try and figure the best way out ( shortest route is often not the easiest).

I leave my pack alarm set up around the meat that is left in proximity to the carcass and always use extreme caution when approaching quarters (ones I'm returning for and ones I have got to the road).

I took me a good portion of the night to get my last solo elk to a road. Once it was at a road, I left it there and had to walk several more km's to get back to where my truck was parked. I was covered in blood, sweat, physically and mentally drained but was an absolute unbelievable feeling of satisfaction as I reflected on the experience.

Jrax
08-11-2021, 09:02 AM
Break the animal down and move the peices 100yds at a time keeping all the meat toghether slowly making a distance from guts and bones...i carr

Great idea! and to add to it, keep the wind in mind if wind is blowing from gut pile toward where you walk out that is not a great scenario. Consider moving meat not downwind if you can avoid it. If you cant, well have the 12gauge ready because the bear will very likely be coming from that way.

Jrax
08-11-2021, 09:22 AM
Nearly every bull that gave opportunity with bow on solo hunts there was a herd of cows around and it was a satellite bull coming in. Stick close to herd and downwind or off to side and be ready for the one that comes in silent. I have screwed up opportunity by letting my guard down when i thought it was over. Dont sound too big unless your in close and challenging the big herd bull. Consider not calling too, if you can stay close to herd and think you can surprise a bull in an opening it might be worth trying. There are many times my hunt became more difficult when i cow called and suddenly the herd is aware of your presence even if they think your a cow.

I plan doing some bivy nights solo this year but i generally i do better staying in the wall tent and hiking out. I hunt up to 10km back and get into some really nice country and lots of elk but for some reason all my shot opportunities come within 2km of a road or quad trail. Like JT said your sleep will be better and you get to hit more drainages.

What is the weight and packability of the pack alarm?

Bubbacanuck
08-11-2021, 10:56 AM
I am getting excited myself!! Planning to head out on Aug 29 and be able to hunt until Sept 10 for archery elk. First time for me! Hopefully in a month I will be posting a write up and some photos. I appreciate all the input everyone has provided and special shout out to Ron C for the PM's :) Good luck to everyone that gets out there and hope everyone has success

tko
08-14-2021, 11:32 AM
Good luck everyone! i also will be going out for first 3 days of archery in the EK

dapesche
08-15-2021, 03:59 PM
I am getting excited myself!! Planning to head out on Aug 29 and be able to hunt until Sept 10 for archery elk. First time for me! Hopefully in a month I will be posting a write up and some photos. I appreciate all the input everyone has provided and special shout out to Ron C for the PM's :) Good luck to everyone that gets out there and hope everyone has success

Where are you headed?

Here in the west koots it's been very dry. Make sure you hunt areas with fairly substantial creeks. Anything that doesn't show up on all the maps will be close to dry over the next couple weeks.

Good luck and hope for rain and then cooler weather.

HarryToolips
08-15-2021, 05:40 PM
Nearly every bull that gave opportunity with bow on solo hunts there was a herd of cows around and it was a satellite bull coming in. Stick close to herd and downwind or off to side and be ready for the one that comes in silent. I have screwed up opportunity by letting my guard down when i thought it was over. Dont sound too big unless your in close and challenging the big herd bull. Consider not calling too, if you can stay close to herd and think you can surprise a bull in an opening it might be worth trying. There are many times my hunt became more difficult when i cow called and suddenly the herd is aware of your presence even if they think your a cow.

I plan doing some bivy nights solo this year but i generally i do better staying in the wall tent and hiking out. I hunt up to 10km back and get into some really nice country and lots of elk but for some reason all my shot opportunities come within 2km of a road or quad trail. Like JT said your sleep will be better and you get to hit more drainages.

What is the weight and packability of the pack alarm?
Pack alarm is light, probably under 1 lb, well worth bringing...

KBC
08-15-2021, 07:44 PM
Man, just when I thought I had most of the gear you guys tell me to buy another thing… ;)

Im starting to get excited. I think I’m going to bring the atv just so I have some more options available. I have 2 spots I’ve never been to and one I’ve been to the last 2 years to check out. The spot I’ve been to I called a bull in that I mentioned earlier in the thread but last year in the same are there wasn’t any sign. It will be my third option if the other two don’t work out.

How many potential locations do you usually plan for? I think I might only have time for 3 if I assume two days to find sign or elk.

Thanks for all the input so far!

Brez
08-15-2021, 09:51 PM
Yeah it is a little scary sometimes when you are out there solo. I have an InReach and I also pack a shorty 12g.
best to pack a friend with a shorty.

KBC
08-16-2021, 08:48 PM
best to pack a friend with a shorty.

Haha you are probably right but at this point I've almost given up on finding a hunting partner. It's probably me since I'm the common factor in all the times I've tried to find one but things just don't seem to line up.

Jrax
08-17-2021, 09:32 AM
Haha you are probably right but at this point I've almost given up on finding a hunting partner. It's probably me since I'm the common factor in all the times I've tried to find one but things just don't seem to line up.

Good hunting partners that hunt the same style like backcountry elk and sheep hunting are tough to find. Hunt through to the last day, stay positive, stay committed, are hardy and compatible. Not all guys want to bivy out or leave before light and come back in the dark etc.

This year will be different, for the first time ever, we will get two elk down early and spent the rest of the trip relaxing, fishing, making glorious meals and drinking beer, wine and a splash of whiskey.

KBC
08-17-2021, 11:37 AM
Sounds like a good time. If you have room next year…hahaha

Bubbacanuck
08-19-2021, 07:06 PM
Where are you headed?

Here in the west koots it's been very dry. Make sure you hunt areas with fairly substantial creeks. Anything that doesn't show up on all the maps will be close to dry over the next couple weeks.

Good luck and hope for rain and then cooler weather.

I am headed towards the Fruitvale/Montrose area. I’ve been lucky to hunt the area a few times for turkey now and elk/whitetail.

Ive been able to scout pretty hard for Elk in April when I was hunting turkey. It was weird when I came across really thick timber and decent creek action how there was a micro climate. In there, I found fresh bull elk sign and I’m sure it’s an elk I saw last Oct. He was a beauty 5x5 so I couldn’t take him with the 6pt restriction. Hence why I am targeting archery this year for any bull!

I appreciate the advice though as It will be hot and dry, so I will stick to those thick timbered areas with water.

Good luck to you as well!!

dapesche
08-19-2021, 08:51 PM
I am headed towards the Fruitvale/Montrose area. I’ve been lucky to hunt the area a few times for turkey now and elk/whitetail.

Ive been able to scout pretty hard for Elk in April when I was hunting turkey. It was weird when I came across really thick timber and decent creek action how there was a micro climate. In there, I found fresh bull elk sign and I’m sure it’s an elk I saw last Oct. He was a beauty 5x5 so I couldn’t take him with the 6pt restriction. Hence why I am targeting archery this year for any bull!

I appreciate the advice though as It will be hot and dry, so I will stick to those thick timbered areas with water.

Good luck to you as well!!

Your top priority will be to try to get away from hunting pressure. Turkey/bear season is fairly quiet. Elk hunting is a different beast.

Sounds like you have a good plan though. Follow up when the hunt is wrapped up.

Bubbacanuck
08-20-2021, 07:21 AM
Your top priority will be to try to get away from hunting pressure. Turkey/bear season is fairly quiet. Elk hunting is a different beast.

Sounds like you have a good plan though. Follow up when the hunt is wrapped up.

I actually find turkey season in this area busier than the fall for the most part.

when I was there in April there were turkey hunters all over the place! Which did make it a challenge to get a bird.

either way, I’m super pumped just to get in the bush again and have some time with good friends chasing some screaming elk!! Leaving in 8 days!!

The Hermit
08-24-2021, 03:24 PM
RE the quad... consider taking the quad in predawn to about 3-5 km to where you want to hunt and walk in the rest of the way. I've been sitting quietly watching elk walk along the skidder trails and as soon as they hear a quad they disappear into the trees. Once you have your bull on the ground you can always hike back to the quad and bring it close for an easier retrieval.

One or two location bugles in the pre-dawn darkness to find a bull, then boogie toward him as fast and safe as possible then start cow calling, listen, and be ready for anything! If he replies bugle once (not too big) and go toward him again and cow call. Use a decoy if possible. Also, if you know anyone in the area talk with them in advance and see if they are willing to be on call to help with an extraction. I always welcome those calls and happy to help out another hunter if possible. whether to help blood trail or carry a load. Good luck.

KBC
08-24-2021, 08:55 PM
That's what I think I'll be doing with the quad. What do you think is the minimum hike from the quad before you start calling? I don't want to be too obvious. I usually give it some time before I do much after I shut it off anyways. I just got a Montana Decoy in the mail last week so I will be packing a big elk ass with me.

1.5 weeks to go and the dehydrator is humming away behind me with dinner for a few nights. I'm getting pretty excited about this year. I don't want to jinx it but I'm thinking of looking for another big cooler so I have 2 big ones.

Ron.C
08-24-2021, 09:10 PM
That's what I think I'll be doing with the quad. What do you think is the minimum hike from the quad before you start calling? I don't want to be too obvious. I usually give it some time before I do much after I shut it off anyways. I just got a Montana Decoy in the mail last week so I will be packing a big elk ass with me.

1.5 weeks to go and the dehydrator is humming away behind me with dinner for a few nights. I'm getting pretty excited about this year. I don't want to jinx it but I'm thinking of looking for another big cooler so I have 2 big ones.

I brought 2 150 qt igloo coolers with me on my solo hunt last year. 1 stored my gear, the other was filled with 10L blocks.

my bull ( a young 5x6) fit nicely quartered in the 2 coolers with block of ice packed around the quarters. The meat was in game bags and the ice was in contractor bags so no sitting in water. I bought a 3rd cooler this year because a big bull may push the capacity of 2 coolers and limit the amount of ice.

For what it's worth, I shot an elk during archery season about 10 years back less than 5 minutes after I was dropped off by my buddy. I headed straight into the bush about 2 minutes after getting out of the truck with a plan of getting in a few hundred yards in and still hunting down to a creek bottom but I walked right into a small heard 100 meters off the road.

I shot another 2 years later sitting on a water hole about the size of a bath tub, cow calling while listening to the road hunters buzz around.
My buddy shot a nice 6x6 a few years back within 300 meters of a very busy road on his way into a spot he had seen elk the evening before. That bull answered his first cow call within 15 minutes of leaving the truck and came in screaming.

I guess my point is, you never know how close one may be and this is why my first call is always a soft cow call. My recommendation would be to take a 15 to 30 minutes, give a good listen and get a good feel for the wind/thermals before you head off.

Bubbacanuck
08-25-2021, 11:04 AM
I brought 2 150 qt igloo coolers with me on my solo hunt last year. 1 stored my gear, the other was filled with 10L blocks.

my bull ( a young 5x6) fit nicely quartered in the 2 coolers with block of ice packed around the quarters. The meat was in game bags and the ice was in contractor bags so no sitting in water. I bought a 3rd cooler this year because a big bull may push the capacity of 2 coolers and limit the amount of ice.

For what it's worth, I shot an elk during archery season about 10 years back less than 5 minutes after I was dropped off by my buddy. I headed straight into the bush about 2 minutes after getting out of the truck with a plan of getting in a few hundred yards in and still hunting down to a creek bottom but I walked right into a small heard 100 meters off the road.

I shot another 2 years later sitting on a water hole about the size of a bath tub, cow calling while listening to the road hunters buzz around.
My buddy shot a nice 6x6 a few years back within 300 meters of a very busy road on his way into a spot he had seen elk the evening before. That bull answered his first cow call within 15 minutes of leaving the truck and came in screaming.

I guess my point is, you never know how close one may be and this is why my first call is always a soft cow call. My recommendation would be to take a 15 to 30 minutes, give a good listen and get a good feel for the wind/thermals before you head off.

If you ever need a partner, rather than going solo, shoot me a message! :)

tko
08-27-2021, 08:45 AM

thats a great idea Ron! I have a few igloos , beats having to rush to a walk In cooler .
👍

KBC
08-27-2021, 09:11 PM
So although there has been a lot of great contributions to this thread, I think Ron wins the top contributor award. Special mention to xfactor who messaged me regarding a WTB post I had looking for a big cooler. He gave me a big one(hahaha sorry I re-read this and giggled) and another matching smaller one for free so I should be good for cooler space. Thanks again!

I just have to dehydrate a couple cans of chicken, package my meals and get everything packed up. My bow and I are shooting pretty good. I'll hit the range a bit more before I leave next Friday but I'm feeling good shooting out to 50Y but in good conditions I wouldn't think twice about shooting to 65Y.

Jrax
08-28-2021, 09:10 AM

Watching elk from above i hear a quad between 1 and 2km away puttering by and i can see they pay attention, ears pointing toward quad then continue back feeding. After a few minutes the quad stopped (i think he rolled up a side trail for a short distance) and man did the elk ever pay attention then. All stopped feeding, ears pointing in direction and the closest moved off and away in a hurry. The others that were close started moving off but not too alarmed, they just knew that a human is in the area.

Same elk earlier...... quad putters by, no stopping, elk pay attention but keep feeding.

If its dead quiet i would give it at least 1.5km, if its windy or raining your probably fine for walking 300m before your safe.

KBC
09-06-2021, 04:26 PM
Well I’m off to plan B. I hit the first spot that I had e-scouted 2 seasons ago but couldn’t get into because of gates. This year the gates were gone or open so I hiked a bunch and rode the atv a bunch. I found a little sign but not much. No answers to my calling. Spotted a big bear about 3km from where I had camped yesterday afternoon. If it wasn’t so black I would have thought it was a grizzly. There were 2 other groups camped in the same forestry site and one guy came by a little before 11:00 just after I had fallen asleep to warn me a huge bear was just down the road. If anyone near Salmo wants the location of a big bear and knows a good spot for elk, tradsies;)

Plan B is up a sketchy road I’ve been up 2 years in a row. 2 years ago I dumped the atv coming down, last year I was smart enough to shuttle my gear up and down the bad spot and walked the atv up and down. I still almost dumped it coming down though. After the rough spot it’s easy going and I can split off to the north side of the hill or the south. I called a bull in 2 years ago on the south side. Lots of feed/water there but I’ve never hit the north side.

Started to get down on myself but I’m picking it up and pushing on. If anyone is accepting applications for a partner for next year let me know. If I manage to seal the deal this year though maybe that will make it easier to find someone to go with hahaha.

I’ll be camped where I get reception so if there’s any late advice or words of encouragement, feel free!

dapesche
09-06-2021, 05:04 PM
Well I’m off to plan B. I hit the first spot that I had e-scouted 2 seasons ago but couldn’t get into because of gates. This year the gates were gone or open so I hiked a bunch and rode the atv a bunch. I found a little sign but not much. No answers to my calling. Spotted a big bear about 3km from where I had camped yesterday afternoon. If it wasn’t so black I would have thought it was a grizzly. There were 2 other groups camped in the same forestry site and one guy came by a little before 11:00 just after I had fallen asleep to warn me a huge bear was just down the road. If anyone near Salmo wants the location of a big bear and knows a good spot for elk, tradsies;)

Plan B is up a sketchy road I’ve been up 2 years in a row. 2 years ago I dumped the atv coming down, last year I was smart enough to shuttle my gear up and down the bad spot and walked the atv up and down. I still almost dumped it coming down though. After the rough spot it’s easy going and I can split off to the north side of the hill or the south. I called a bull in 2 years ago on the south side. Lots of feed/water there but I’ve never hit the north side.

Started to get down on myself but I’m picking it up and pushing on. If anyone is accepting applications for a partner for next year let me know. If I manage to seal the deal this year though maybe that will make it easier to find someone to go with hahaha.

I’ll be camped where I get reception so if there’s any late advice or words of encouragement, feel free!

Tough start to the year in the west koots. Damn dry.
Went into our spot that produced a nice 6x6 last year and it was bone dry and very little sign.

Have had some action on the 3rd and should've killed. Hoping that wasn't my one big opportunity!

Jrax
09-07-2021, 07:05 AM
This year being dry, hit that north side! And its early so find a bulls bedroom/wallow area and sneak in or wait downwind where you think he is approaching from. Most bedrooms seem to be in a shaded, cool, northish facing slope and access to water within a km.

Good luck! looking forward to hearing how it went. Dont give up, go to the last minute!! It will happen

dapesche
09-07-2021, 07:27 AM
strangely enough, all my action has been on South-Eastern slopes as the herd was transitioning to darker Northwestern facing beds close to water. Obviously this changes based on the geography of your hunting area but I would have never guessed that they'd be holding in such a dry area.

Areas where there has always been bull activity in the past is very quiet.

I hunt a farm that have resident elk and the landowner typically tells me when the bulls are bugling and they have been silent.

Keep covering ground till you find them.

cameron0518
09-07-2021, 10:33 AM
Don't worry about HBC right now. Enjoy your hunt. It is called hunting for a reason. Good luck

KBC
09-07-2021, 08:38 PM
Haha yep but you have to do something at night when you’re solo.

2 hunting days left. The north side of the hill wasn’t as accessible as the maps might lead you to believe. The rough road in and out wasn’t any better than I remember it. I hit both sides, lots of hiking, looking and calling but no sign and I thought I might have heard a bugle but it was so quiet i wasn’t sure. It could have been the wind, a bird or a whistling booger.

There’s a cut block about 1.5 K from where I’m camped that looks like it might be a travel route. I’m going to hike in before daylight tomorrow and hope something is moving. I’m running out of options and I keep thinking about the huge bear I saw a few days ago but I don’t think my kids are old enough to want to attempt putting myself in bow range of a bear that big on purpose hahaha.

albravo2
09-07-2021, 08:50 PM
2 days is lots of time, I hope you connect. I'm headed to the east Kootenays on Thursday for rifle opener, I've been following your thread hoping to see a photo of a big bull down.

Good luck!

KBC
09-07-2021, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I’m not picky though, a spike will do… I forgot to mention in my last post, I managed to snap my homemade stabilizer off on the atv ride up. Nothing a little electrical tape couldn’t fix but after the ride back down it’s a little floppy. Oh well I hear that a stab with 10 degrees down is better anyways.

KBC
09-12-2021, 11:18 AM
Well I didn’t get it done this archery season. I got into bow range with a young WT buck but too many branches were in the way to want to take a shot. He started to walk off so I looped around with the wind in my favour and couldn’t quite get close enough. If it was rifle season it was an easy kill so at least I know I’m getting better at this.
I didn’t see a single elk and only found a small amount of sign. I did see a cow moose on Friday morning though so that was cool. Now to start planning for October and the week and a half I have off to hunt then. Probably going to head to reg 8 where it’s any white tail and 6 point elk is still open so if you have a honey hole lol…

i did have an interesting experience one day though. I’d found another spot to head into that looked promising. There used to be a bridge over a creek but it had been removed last October. You could still cross the creek easily on foot since the water levels were so low. Just after I crossed the creek my gut told me to grab the shotgun strapped to my pack. I stopped and threw it over my shoulder on a single point sling. I took a few more steps and could not shake a bad gut feeling so I turned around and never hiked in. I’ve spent a lot of time alone in the woods and sure there have been a few times I had a bad feeling about things but this time it was different. I’ve never been so sure to turn around like that. I wonder what was out there.

KBC
09-12-2021, 11:31 AM
Another observation I had was I wonder if there’s a correlation between the size and number of grouse vs big game. 3 years ago there was sign for elk, deer, bears and wolf but hardly any grouse. Last year a little less sign in the same area and this year hardly any sign but lots of big healthy grouse. Maybe I’m making an obvious point but it sure looks like the less predators there are, the more grouse there are. I guess that also means there’s a lot less big game in the area since there’s no predators there hunting them as well.

J_T
09-13-2021, 03:02 PM
I know it's tough for guys to share. But if, people had their location on their profile it does help to put a few things for a response into context. Also, again, big risk, but if guys shared the region geographic area of the province, SE, NW, etc it would make responding to questions more accurate.

KBC
09-13-2021, 03:41 PM
I think I mentioned earlier I was close to Salmo. I was also closer to Nelson for part of it as well but the locals probably hate me because I'm from the Fraser Valley ;)
Next year I will find a new spot to go.

J_T
09-13-2021, 05:14 PM
I think I mentioned earlier I was close to Salmo. I was also closer to Nelson for part of it as well but the locals probably hate me because I'm from the Fraser Valley ;)
Next year I will find a new spot to go.

Sorry. I didn't mean anything toward you with my comment. It was more of a general comment. If I missed your initial post regarding location my apologies. I guess I quickly look where a person is from in their profile and assess whether I can provide value. I dont know hunting across the province, but I do know hunting in some areas. Haha

KBC
09-13-2021, 06:17 PM
No offence taken at all, no worries.

RyoTHC
09-13-2021, 07:25 PM
Don’t feel bad OP.
I drove 1200km to elk hunt only to realize I have no ****ing clue what I’m doing and am pissing in gale force winds.
think I need to stick to what I’m good at and go fishing lol

KBC
09-13-2021, 07:41 PM
I’m 3 years into bow hunting elk and I’ve heard it take 5 before you really start figuring it out. Sure I’m a little down I didn’t come home with meat but I don’t think I did much wrong other than being in the wrong place. It all takes time and to be honest I’ve been pretty much solo for the whole learning journey.

Although last season I didn’t get anything in bow or rifle season, I’ve had several close encounters that tell me I’m on the right track. There’s still plenty of time left this season to get out with the rifle and I’ve got a lot of overtime bank saved up. I’d love to find a hunting partner but it’s not something I’m gonna force. My son might end up being my partner soon enough (he’s almost 10). Another positive to take out of this trip was not everyone can camp and hunt by themselves for a week. I will admit that early on my mental toughness needed some work and I still have a ways to go but it’s getting stronger.

If anyone has any additional advice I would be happy to hear it.
Cheers!

RyoTHC
09-13-2021, 07:55 PM
I’m 3 years into bow hunting elk and I’ve heard it take 5 before you really start figuring it out. Sure I’m a little down I didn’t come home with meat but I don’t think I did much wrong other than being in the wrong place. It all takes time and to be honest I’ve been pretty much solo for the whole learning journey.

Although last season I didn’t get anything in bow or rifle season, I’ve had several close encounters that tell me I’m on the right track. There’s still plenty of time left this season to get out with the rifle and I’ve got a lot of overtime bank saved up. I’d love to find a hunting partner but it’s not something I’m gonna force. My son might end up being my partner soon enough (he’s almost 10). Another positive to take out of this trip was not everyone can camp and hunt by themselves for a week. I will admit that early on my mental toughness needed some work and I still have a ways to go but it’s getting stronger.

Cheers!

I assume you’re in the lower mainland? Next time you’re in the Merritt / Princeton / kamloops area don’t hesitate to touch base, we hunt every single weekend of season until the freezers full.

KBC
09-14-2021, 09:32 AM
Right on thanks. I'll send you a message when I figure out my work schedule.

Bubbacanuck
09-14-2021, 09:36 AM
I completed my first attempt at hunting elk in the archery season and it was a learning experience. Hot weather and smoke added an element of challenge. Camping at a campground full of inbred rednecks made it feel like we were in some bizarre twilight zone. Not much fresh sign and no bugling during daylight hours. Thick timber that made it impossible to access many areas where elk could be. Definitely not an easy hunt. Might try next year closer to the rut and chase those 6 points with a rifle lol. Either way, great times were had and we escaped the crazy people from the campground before all hell broke loose. Some people are just plain weird haha. Hopefully some others found success during the archery season!

Moose63
09-14-2021, 05:15 PM
Don’t feel bad OP.
I drove 1200km to elk hunt only to realize I have no ****ing clue what I’m doing and am pissing in gale force winds.

Wait a minute RyoTHC.....I thought that Elk book has has given you an edge on Elk Hunting expertise, Lol

dapesche
09-14-2021, 05:48 PM
Wait a minute RyoTHC.....I thought that Elk book has has given you an edge on Elk Hunting expertise, Lol

How are you fairing this year moose? Any action?

boilerroom
09-15-2021, 09:47 PM
Don’t feel bad OP.

I've read enough of your posts to know I aspire to be as "bad" at hunting as you are :wink:

The Hermit
10-02-2021, 08:59 PM

Cheers!

Ahem, the more time you spend bowhunting the faster you will get it done. You can hunt with a bow for through out the GOS too... just saying.