PDA

View Full Version : Loaded or Unloaded Horses and Bikes

Tred
07-29-2021, 01:10 PM
Question is hunting using trail horses considered motorized transport for the purposes of having a loaded or unloaded firearm.

Follow up on that is a push bikes (pedal bikes) considered a motorized transport. I have read/heard somewhere about e-bike due to the motor likely considered “motorized” transport and requiring unloading of firearms prior to use.

As an additional notes I don’t use any of the above methods of transport, and realize this is the internet and all that jazz about taking info with a grain of salt. I figured I’d ask though as may members here have a wealth of information to share.

Keta1969
07-29-2021, 02:45 PM
A bicycle is specifically mentioned as not allowed to have live ammo in the chamber or magazine. If you consider a horse as a conveyance the same applies. Regs page 14 It's unlawful item 25.

Blacktail1
07-29-2021, 03:35 PM
Why would anyone want a loaded firearm on either?

.330 Dakota
07-29-2021, 04:09 PM
Why would anyone want a loaded firearm on either?

So they can "QUICK DRAW" on one of the many rabid grizzly bears that is lurking behind every 4th tree waiting to lunge at an ATV or even an unsuspecting horse....TRUE STORY

emerson
07-29-2021, 08:10 PM
So they can "QUICK DRAW" on one of the many rabid grizzly bears that is lurking behind every 4th tree waiting to lunge at an ATV or even an unsuspecting horse....TRUE STORY
I’ve been on horseback with packhorses in tow while watching a grizzly pop out less than 50 yds away and decide to turn away rather than toward us. Keep mocking why don’t you.

Foxton Gundogs
07-29-2021, 08:21 PM
Horses are not considered motorized vehicles, you can pack a loaded gun on a horse legally. On the Earle Grey trail and surrounding areas horses and boots are the only acceptable mode of transport. Even helos have to obtain special permission to fly in supplies to the line camps..

Gateholio
07-29-2021, 08:52 PM
Bicycles are specifically mentioned even though most are non motorized. Horses are not.

I suggest an empty chamber for a rifle in a horse scabbard. I've pulled a rifle out of a scabbard several times to find the safety has been moved to the off position. I would imagine outfitters and guides insist on an empty chamber. I know I would if it was my horse.

xlcc
08-03-2021, 08:02 PM
I don't have horses now but when I did my rifle always had the magazine loaded with an empty chamber.Why not?

stoneramhunter
08-03-2021, 09:28 PM
Have packed into the mountains with horses for many years. always had rounds in my rifle but empty chamber.

375shooter
08-03-2021, 09:46 PM
Horses are not considered motorized vehicles, you can pack a loaded gun on a horse legally. On the Earle Grey trail and surrounding areas horses and boots are the only acceptable mode of transport. Even helos have to obtain special permission to fly in supplies to the line camps..

The regulations say this - "It's unlawful to discharge, carry, or have in possession a firearm containing live ammunition in its breach or in its magazine attached to a firearm, in or on a railway car, motor vehicle, sleigh, aircraft or other conveyance."

I think you are right in saying that a horse is not a motorized vehicle. However, since a horse is used to move a person, or materials from one point to another, it would be considered a "means of transport." Merriam Webster dictionary defines conveyance as "a means of transport." So that implies that a horse is a type conveyance, therefore even a loaded magazine attached to the firearm would be considered unlawful. :sad:

Huevos
08-05-2021, 09:54 PM
The regulations say this - "It's unlawful to discharge, carry, or have in possession a firearm containing live ammunition in its breach or in its magazine attached to a firearm, in or on a railway car, motor vehicle, sleigh, aircraft or other conveyance."

I think you are right in saying that a horse is not a motorized vehicle. However, since a horse is used to move a person, or materials from one point to another, it would be considered a "means of transport." Merriam Webster dictionary defines conveyance as "a means of transport." So that implies that a horse is a type conveyance, therefore even a loaded magazine attached to the firearm would be considered unlawful. :sad:

You could argue that your feet are a mode of conveyance using that definition. Maybe your horse identifies as a human and is just borrowing your rifle..... Call the local CO for the area and ask him/her. Since they are the ones that would be checking, I'd say this is the best thing to do if you are unsure, or worried about it.

MOOSE MILK
08-06-2021, 10:47 AM
You could argue that your feet are a mode of conveyance using that definition. Maybe your horse identifies as a human and is just borrowing your rifle..... Call the local CO for the area and ask him/her. Since they are the ones that would be checking, I'd say this is the best thing to do if you are unsure, or worried about it.

Good one, totally agree.