PDA

View Full Version : Haida Gwaii/Queen Charlottes Trip - New Hunter

rightleft123
07-20-2021, 08:18 PM
Hi ya,

New hunter here, planning a trip to Haida Gwaii to give hunting a try. (October) I'll give a try at butchering, but anyone else besides Baru Farms? He's on the south end, while I plan to stay near port clements/ North end beach area.

Anyone have recommendations on lodges or camps that you can hang meat. Not sure the temperatures in October will allow for that. or meat lockers?

Any other tips/tricks would be appreciated. Trying to break this down to as many manageable pieces.

Jrax
07-21-2021, 09:22 AM
I would look at bringing a freezer and either plug into a generator or find a place that will allow you to hang, butcher and plug in freezer. Possibly the place has a freezer. We didnt find a location for hanging or butchering on the north end and the place we stayed at told us no hanging!

Try alaska view lodge it sounds like they are hunting friendly. we are staying there in august on a family trip, will get fishing in but not hunting.

Mudsey
07-21-2021, 09:41 AM
Golden Spruce hotel in Port Clements is hunter friendly.

northernbrew
07-21-2021, 06:26 PM
Yep Golden Spruce, Let me hang deer for a couple days and I wasnt even staying there. Good people...

AK-47
07-22-2021, 04:54 PM
Yep Golden Spruce, Let me hang deer for a couple days and I wasnt even staying there. Good people...

Do they have cooler to hang a deer ?

northernbrew
07-22-2021, 09:49 PM
More like the shed out back

rightleft123
07-22-2021, 09:51 PM
More like the shed out back

right on. I guess October weather will be cool enough to hang for a couple days. Thanks for the heads up

David Heitsman
08-15-2021, 07:11 PM
Good luck... I spent a week there on both islands a few years back. Saw a buck in the ferry landing and a spike well up a logging road and that was the only bucks any of THE FIVE of us saw.

AK-47
08-16-2021, 03:09 PM
Going there as well in October.
Considering to camp at Rennell Sound Recreation Site.
Does anybody know in what shape are the roads in that part of the island?

DMD
08-16-2021, 04:30 PM
Going there as well in October.
Considering to camp at Rennell Sound Recreation Site.
Does anybody know in what shape are the roads in that part of the island?

I was over there a couple months ago for work. Drove out towards Rennell Sound and the road was still closed and washed out at the top of the hill. May be fixed by now but I would check.

AK-47
08-17-2021, 09:58 AM
I was over there a couple months ago for work. Drove out towards Rennell Sound and the road was still closed and washed out at the top of the hill. May be fixed by now but I would check.

Thanks a lot. It would be very helpful. Much appreciated.

Treed
08-18-2021, 09:21 PM
I was up there a few weeks ago and it was still closed. They were having some PGeos look at it. Ministry folk weren’t sure when it would be fixed up. Saw a lot of deer and some good bucks but I was in a helicopter :)

Treed
08-18-2021, 09:26 PM
Oh, one other thing. Try to get your deer out fairly quickly after shooting it. The bears are pretty keyed in on gun shots and will come to the kill site. They don’t get hunted and are pretty ballsy. I lost most of a deer I was quartering and talked to locals who also said the bears are shot savvy. Lots of big bears there.