PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Spotters

Steeleco
07-15-2021, 03:04 PM
So I have a diamondback 20x60x80 spotter and have always wanted to upgrade to a Viper. I see one for sale currently albeit only a 65mm. I'm wanting to know if upgrading is worth the coin. At 58 the eyes are not what they once were and I refuse to use optics and glasses, so is it worth it to upgrade or not?

Thx David

Corrected fat fingers LOL

Ride Red
07-15-2021, 04:10 PM
Can’t answer to the Viper, but the Razor HD is nice.

madcalfe
07-15-2021, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't go to the viper. id just right right to the razor or find a used swaro or leica.

Bustercluck
07-15-2021, 04:34 PM
I can’t speak for the viper either, but I do have a razor and I’ve used a couple of different diamondbacks.

I think the diamondback is good for the money, but I personally find it hard to find specific things in the scope that I can spot with the binos or bare eye. it seems hard to landmark things with it or find something your partner is looking at and giving you directions. It seems like the field of view is smaller, but vortex claims it’s only 8 feet difference at 1000 yards.

I only bought a razor because it was a good deal that I couldn’t turn down. It’s definitely easier to spot things and landmark whatever you want. It’s no where near as good as a good Leupold or swaro. It is comforting knowing that it’s covered by warranty when you stuff it in the side of your pack, but I think a good part of that price you pay is for the warranty.

Im guessing that’s an older model scope you’re looking at? The newer mode has. 65mm objective. I’d like to see a Leupold sx-2, not sure if they’re selling them in Canada yet.

oddsix
07-15-2021, 05:30 PM
I've got the Viper 15-45x65. Clarity and light are good on the lower end of the magnification. I'd say the last 3rd of magnification is more or less useless for situations such as counting tines. If funds aren't an issue I would make the jump to the Razor.

IslandWanderer
07-15-2021, 07:04 PM
Even a left wing BC NPD fan like me uses a 20-60 x 85 Razor.

HarryToolips
07-15-2021, 07:59 PM
Can’t answer to the Viper, but the Razor HD is nice.
Yup me too, in 65 mm, it's great..

Steeleco
07-16-2021, 04:59 AM
Thanks all, I'll wait a little longer then. The right deal will show up at some point, they always do!

Greenthumbed
07-16-2021, 05:39 AM
I would have to disagree with the majority on this one. I actually surprised that there is negative responses about the Viper 65mm. I started out with the Diamondback 65mm. I found it left me wanting more. I upgraded to the Viper 65mm angled. I think it’s great. It is leaps and bounds better than the Diamondback. I use it a lot from the range to counting tines, and birding. This unit has yet to disappoint. I would say my only complaints would be is it’s a bit heavy for alpine hunting and the barrel focus ring is a little stiff. Beyond that I don’t think you can go wrong for the money.

madcalfe
07-16-2021, 08:33 AM
I would have to disagree with the majority on this one. I actually surprised that there is negative responses about the Viper 65mm. I started out with the Diamondback 65mm. I found it left me wanting more. I upgraded to the Viper 65mm angled. I think it’s great. It is leaps and bounds better than the Diamondback. I use it a lot from the range to counting tones, to birding. This unit has yet to disappoint. I won’t say my only complaints would be is it’s a bit heavy for alpine hunting and the barrel focus ring is a little stiff. Beyond that I don’t think you can go wrong for the money.

have you looked through a razor yet? or a swaro or leica?

Greenthumbed
07-16-2021, 01:20 PM
I have looked through the Razor 11-33x50. It’s nice and light. But I think my viper is comparable when side by side comparison. I know we are not talking about the same magnification and objective lens size, so it’s not a perfect comparison.
The original post was not comparing the Viper and the Razor or some other high end scope. It was about whether the upgrade from a Diamondback to a Viper was worth the money. Funny how most miss that point when it comes to talking about optics.
Now if we are to answer the original question. Is the upgrade from a Diamondback to a Viper worth the extra money? I would have to say that it is totally worth the money. I can speak to that. I did this very upgrade and I am satisfied with my upgrade. I bought my Viper new for $1000 on sale and sold my Diamondback for $350. For the outlay of $750 extra it’s a no brainer.
This discussion about optics is as old as the chicken or the egg question.

sako79
07-16-2021, 03:20 PM

Kowa is another option. Better glass than any vortex. And you won't need there warranty