PDA

View Full Version : which accessory

BRrooster
07-15-2021, 05:07 AM
What is your most important accessory? What do you not leave home without?

I would have to say a FSR radio, myself. I always seem to end up hunting near active logging areas. Knowing where and when a logging truck is going to be makes me real comfortable.

Harvest the Land
07-15-2021, 06:34 AM
Man its hard to pick one because I've got more than one most important accessory. But off the top of my head I'm going to have to say my IHunter App. It has really helped me navigate around some sketchy situations (especially in the dark) and get to where I need to go in an efficient manner

Ron.C
07-15-2021, 06:52 AM
hands down, a communication device of some sort. Either my cell or inreach (used to be my SPOT) if out of cell range.

wideopenthrottle
07-15-2021, 07:21 AM
first thing I put on around my neck in the morning and last thing I take off before bed is my silva ranger compass that I have owned for more than 30 years

Bernie O
07-15-2021, 07:40 AM
If I was reduced to only one accessory it would be a signal whistle. I would not go unless I was better equipped for an emergency. Search and rescue are already over loaded with rescues of ill prepared people.

Redthies
07-15-2021, 07:45 AM
My Osprey pack with InReach strapped to the top, and my phone with iHunter loaded up in the hip belt pocket.

Bustercluck
07-15-2021, 07:57 AM
Garmin inreach

adriaticum
07-15-2021, 08:22 AM
GPS
Hands down.

boxhitch
07-15-2021, 08:49 AM
My Leek
town or bush, I always take the Leek

fishhunt
07-15-2021, 11:07 AM
Firestarter and lighter.

srupp
07-15-2021, 12:24 PM
Hmm Spot..
GPS tells me where my truck broke down,,lol FORD..
HOWEVER Spot allows me to get help to me..wheleven
Srupp

Bubbacanuck
07-15-2021, 12:51 PM
Lighter is always in my pocket. I hunter app on phone. TP

Would Rather Be Fishing
07-15-2021, 01:26 PM
first thing I put on around my neck in the morning and last thing I take off before bed is my silva ranger compass that I have owned for more than 30 years

No way, I own one of these, too. Most people don't even know how to use those anymore ....

wideopenthrottle
07-15-2021, 02:28 PM
I made it to Chief Scout as a young teen....i'll never be without a compass when in the bush...it is sometimes fun to guess the direction home then check the compass to see if correct........I do have to admit that a source of fire would be higher than a compass though if you aren't in any deep bush….i'm still old school where I always tell where i'm going so my wife knows where I should be... I even print her a google map with coordinates on it...
No way, I own one of these, too. Most people don't even know how to use those anymore ....

MichelD
07-15-2021, 02:42 PM

Compass too. Without a doubt.

shadowhunter
07-15-2021, 03:28 PM
I would say mindset, having the mentality of stable sound thinking and desicion making. But besides that 100% agree with Compass. My dad was a logger and taught me how to walk through the bush and keep looking at your back teack for landmarks and establish familiarities. I hate staring at screens when im in the bush. Even having spot or inreach as piece of mind would provoke my mind into taking more risks then I already do. I just tell my Mum where im hunting and try and keep in touch and stick to the game plan. I think a lot of people staring at gps’s lack the true directional instinct and route finding skills then one who uses and practices with a compass. And yes I have been lost more then once and have had to sleep a night in the woods. (Sprained my knee up in the bluffs, hobbled out the next morning at first light) Its all about mentality and staying calm and not panicking. A solid knife (no cheap chinese junk) bic lighter, fire rod and tp are always in the pockets or belt too.

BRrooster
07-15-2021, 04:36 PM
I too have a compass , in my pack at least, on your person would be better i agree. Didnt think of it as an accessory though. And i know that my radios are battery powered, but, damn i hate relying on battery powered stuff. I can see that the type of hunting is a big player in most decisions, as it should be. Funny to see that no Bowhunters have said thier rangefinders yet. Some other things that i wouldnt say are accessories would be , Knife, fire starter, first aid kit, extra ammo, maybe even a quality multi tool.
Interesting what new technology is needed to go hunting though. Gone are the days when you grab a handfull of shells and a knife and head out for the day.

Oh and an ol guy said to take two compasses cause sometime in your life you are going to disagree with what it says. Two against one might make the difference!

srupp
07-15-2021, 05:08 PM
Hmm my thought process..a compass can't get you out even if it points the right way.,if your incompassitated..
Same for GPS
LIGHTER may help to keep you warm..untill..? If folks don't know your Ill. Sick injured it really doesn't matter what's # 2..3..4
It's ironic I'm helping a new outdoorsman who is taking a 2 year outdoors course..and sort of get ready for outdoors travel safety equipment
So I'm looking at what's in my day bag for emergency use..up to 3 days..
Emergency top of the list in the bag..communications device...of course there are numerous must haves.
Srupp

adriaticum
07-15-2021, 06:05 PM
i dont consider firestarting tools accessories, they are necessities. i usually have 3 sets of this on my person.

Bugle M In
07-15-2021, 06:23 PM
Radios have been certainly handy.
I like my GPS big time.
My Badlands Bino Case was worth it!
Same for the Monster Bag.
Need a good "long lasting" pair of light weight elk boots however.???
New GoreTex Pants and Jacket (like a 4 in 1 parka that Browning "use to" make)

But never forget my rifle and bullets!!
Forgetting the tags is "ify"!!:tongue:, but have a 90% chance the CO wont know (but i would still cut the tag asap)
Honestly, would drive back for tags....bullets and rifle, well...no choice either.

Bigdoggdon
07-15-2021, 06:39 PM
Knife in the pocket

Mudsey
07-15-2021, 08:28 PM
My daypack loaded with everything I need. It's always with me, in truck, on quad, in camp, hiking, going for a sh!t etc.

wideopenthrottle
07-16-2021, 07:01 AM
heheh I just realized when I read accessory I skipped past all the absolute necessities like flame, boots, knife and survival kit

adriaticum
07-16-2021, 08:28 AM
My daypack loaded with everything I need. It's always with me, in truck, on quad, in camp, hiking, going for a sh!t etc.

What if you lose your daypack?
You fall and you lose it.
What then?

adriaticum
07-16-2021, 08:31 AM
GPS has definitely extended the range I travel without worrying about getting lost.
I've got lost a few times fishing and with a GPS it has become much easier to find my way back.
Once I got lost because my phone died, thankfully I had a button compass on me.
After that incident I bought a separate GPS with AAA batteries.
Wouldn't leave the house without it.

REMINGTON JIM
07-16-2021, 08:56 AM
GPS has definitely extended the range I travel without worrying about getting lost.
I've got lost a few times fishing and with a GPS it has become much easier to find my way back.
Once I got lost because my phone died, thankfully I had a button compass on me.
After that incident I bought a separate GPS with AAA batteries.
Wouldn't leave the house without it.

Get yourself one of these or similar ! Oh also better pack extra AAA bats for your GPS unit too ! RJ

https://www.costco.ca/atomi-10%2c000-mah-mini-power-bank-with-dual-smart-usb-ports-2-pack.product.100692080.html

adriaticum
07-16-2021, 09:07 AM
Get yourself one of these or similar ! Oh also better pack extra AAA bats for your GPS unit too ! RJ

https://www.costco.ca/atomi-10%2c000-mah-mini-power-bank-with-dual-smart-usb-ports-2-pack.product.100692080.html

Yeah I have a solar battery pack now, this was before battery packs were a thing.
I still like my Garmin and a week's worth of spare batteries ;)

REMINGTON JIM
07-16-2021, 09:13 AM
Yeah I have a solar battery pack now, this was before battery packs were a thing.
I still like my Garmin and a week's worth of spare batteries ;)

Right on - i have a Garmin 650 which has its OWN rechargable battery and also can REG batteries too ! if you cannot get to recharge the Garmin battery . Great system ! jmo RJ

REMINGTON JIM
07-16-2021, 09:16 AM
I use my Phone all the time now with GAIA GPS. Works great and i store all my Mapped routes in it too ! RJ

Bernie O
07-16-2021, 10:14 AM
Common sense has certainly shown one item is not enough.

Ron.C
07-16-2021, 10:41 AM
Common sense has certainly shown one item is not enough.

no it sure isn't.

But there is one item and one item only that is always with me and it doesn't matter what I'm doing. Be it a solo backpacking hunt for goats, a weekend truck camping with my buddy for bears, a morning sit in my local treestand for deer, an afternoon in the marsh for ducks or even a walk with my dog around the neighbourhood.

I always have a reliable means of communication (cell phone or inreach).

Brno22F
07-16-2021, 07:37 PM

I am of the same mind as Mudsey. My day pack has everything I need for my hunt plus an overnight or 2 if things really go sideways. And it is not a big pack.

IMO, there is no single accessory that trumps all others. As the opinions in this thread show, different folks value different things as being most important to them.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to follow the tried and true boy scout motto "BE PREPARED"

Frank grimes
07-16-2021, 07:39 PM
a compass for sure. And fire starter. But everyone should always have these. On the few times I’ve spent an unplanned night in the bush, my most valuable thing was the bit of whiskey. Once I got a fire going and my shit together, a bit of whiskey takes the edge off and I wait for morning.

srupp
07-16-2021, 09:18 PM
Hmm silly me..listened to op...ONE item..lol..certainly my day kit has all the essentials..Cheers
Srupp

REMINGTON JIM
07-17-2021, 08:57 PM
Hmm silly me..listened to op...ONE item..lol..certainly my day kit has all the essentials..Cheers
Srupp

Prob TP for you ! :lol: lmao RJ

KBC
07-17-2021, 10:00 PM
Wet wipes.

MRP
07-18-2021, 07:32 AM
Lots of things here I don’t consider accessories, Compass, fire starter, extra. Every thing in my day pack is not a accessory, just good planning. My favourite accessory is a 5’ camouflage umbrella that folds down to 14”.

bcshadow
07-19-2021, 12:08 AM
Garmin inreach