PDA

View Full Version : Outfitter vs Guide

Darksith
07-06-2021, 10:58 PM
Can an outfitter (horse team) operate anywhere in BC or do they have to be licensed in a certain area. example...taking a resident into an area

vs a Guide who owns the area and can guide non resident hunters or any hunter and has a set number of tags.

I was under the impression you could hire an outfitter with a team of horses and basically go anywhere in BC as a resident.

Rackmastr
07-07-2021, 01:56 AM
Not sure if this is still relevant or not, but I believe its on the right track in regards to those who arent outfitters of a certain area and wish to provide 'transporter' services for hunters.

Fish and Wildlife - Environment - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca) (https://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/transporter.html)

Wild Images
07-07-2021, 03:04 AM
A packer works within a specific area same as an outfitter

Imdone
07-07-2021, 08:13 AM
No, both must work within specific areas only.

Packers are just that Packers, and can not go just any where.

Darksith
07-07-2021, 10:37 AM
I guess I just assumed that packers operated in an area bc that is where they were based and had knowledge. Do they actually need the permission of a guide who owns a tenure? Or can they get a seperate tenure that overlaps other land use tenures like a guide.

Using Blue Creek as an example, they can't provide staff to help with the horse team?

Imdone
07-07-2021, 11:02 AM
Blue Creek is different.
You use his horses, you basically rent his horses. He's not with you. You can go anywhere with his horses like your own horses.

Bigboar, was very happy with his service. Helps if you know and understand horses. Brew might be able to help you.

KodiakHntr
07-07-2021, 11:07 AM
Packers are different than renting horses. (And a horse “team” is hooked to a wagon, hooked side by side as a “team”. A “pack string” is horses individually loaded up.)

Renting horses is just that, owner drops them off wherever you want with his gear, and he’ll meet you back in the parking lot on your chosen return day and you are on your own, wherever you want to go.

A packer has a tenured area, and he loads your shit on horses and takes you in and (depending on who you go with) will cook meals and watch horses during the day. Will also look thoughtfully off into the distance when you ask his opinion on which direction you should go, so he doesn’t get stung for “illegal guiding”.

Downtown
07-07-2021, 11:38 AM
Language used in British Columbia in regards to Hunting.

Outfitter means, the Person holding the Guide-Outfitter License to a specific Territory. In many Cases he/she is also the Person holding the Guide-Outfitter Certificate for this Territory.

Assistant Guide means, a Person Guiding resident and/or no resident Hunters in the Guide Outfitting Territory of that Outfitter.

Packer means, a Person licensed to provide packing services (transportation) within a specific Area.

Guide Outfitters, Assistant Guides, Guide Outfitting Territory holders, Packers, don't own the Land they operate on, the own the rights to operate services.

Cheers