PDA

View Full Version : Early Bull Moose tag 7-16 A Aug Sep

TedMcGill
07-06-2021, 07:45 PM
My wife and I has a Bull tag for 7-16A we will heading from our farm on Vancouver Island mid Aug. First time hunting in the area and first time hunting this early. if any one would like to share some tips or locations please PM me. I am not expecting your honey hole just some basic areas for camp and hunting. Good luck with your hunt and stay safe.

sako79
07-06-2021, 08:44 PM
I had that draw a couple years ago very tough hunting in a week and a 1/2 we did not see a single moose. Lots and lots of predators Such as bears and wolves. We camped at fishhook lake. Is quite a lot of hunters when we were there and early September. While we were up there There was a camp and boat set on fire by apparently somebody from the mcleod lake reserve. But after talking to a few people they were specifically targeting one person. Pm Me for a few spots that might be productive

PG Miller
07-07-2021, 01:29 AM
My wife and I has a Bull tag for 7-16A we will heading from our farm on Vancouver Island mid Aug. First time hunting in the area and first time hunting this early. if any one would like to share some tips or locations please PM me. I am not expecting your honey hole just some basic areas for camp and hunting. Good luck with your hunt and stay safe.

Hey congrats on the draw, that is great area but it can be busy. I would focus a lot either around by the river or locate the swamps. I know that sounds obvious but it is actually fairly dry in that area so water is key. Also absolutely bring an elk tag, but don’t tell anyone I told you that.

TedMcGill
07-07-2021, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the information having difficulty locating aBack Road map book for the area?

TedMcGill
07-07-2021, 07:05 PM
We are bringing our wall tent which is comfortable but I have heard from others that the grizzly bears are a problem. Should I be concerned about our safety in a tent? I have hunted in it for years without a worry!

Arctic Lake
07-10-2021, 09:58 AM
I used to hunt the MU across the Parsnip River from 7-16 A but that was 20 years ago so not sure what it’s like now and we hunted that MU around Thanksgiving . So I’m not much help to you . But I’m wondering if a boat would not be a bad idea for you to hunt the Parsnip the 7-16 side . If you choose to do that watch the weather the Parsnip can rise quickly with rain !
Arctic Lake
We are bringing our wall tent which is comfortable but I have heard from others that the grizzly bears are a problem. Should I be concerned about our safety in a tent? I have hunted in it for years without a worry!

Bernie O
07-10-2021, 10:05 AM
Congrats on stealing my hunt. Fishook lake definetly the best place to camp. Bring a cartop boat, It saves packing when you shoot on the wrong side of the lake, and for fishing when you need a break from hunting. Moose numbers are down but they are still there. Lots of luck to you.

TedMcGill
07-15-2021, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the advice we will bring our canoe with us just in case we need it. I purchased the detailed hunt buddy app for my phone best I could do in finding a map. Hopefully the new back road map book will be out soon.

wallz
07-16-2021, 04:19 PM
with the hunt buddy app, go into the small tab on the right side, mid way on the screen when you are in the map, (only if you are using an I phone, you will see this feature,) and go under the get maps tab. Under that tab you can select and area and download more specific "tiles" Maps of the area you choose.
This is handy when you zoom in when using the map, and it brings out WAY more detail that is not otherwise seen.

You can create tracks in this tab as well.

moosecaller
07-16-2021, 06:32 PM
If the pipe line camp is still in there at the parsnip bridge you will have lots and lots of traffic I believe it was a 1200 person camp so no small venture in there. You should have an off road radio especially through the canyon no room to pass in there!

barry1974w
07-17-2021, 09:33 AM
If you’re able to change your plans you may want want to postpone your hunt till closer to the end of September, you may be able to catch some early rut action. Getting and keeping a moose cool in August can be a challenge. I used to apply in 7-23, and have gotten moose there as early as August 17th. That particular one was shot at daybreak and hanging in a commercial cooler just after nine am. Good thing, cause the temps made it into the mid twenties that day. I haven’t hunted out that way in a long time, so I’m not much help. Tacheeda lake is another nice camping spot, but pretty busy during the summer. I’ve seen a bunch of moose while fishing the small lake over the years, and a couple (including a cow with brand new still wet trying to stand up calf. Was cool, but we took off as soon as we realized what was going on) off the little lake that you have to drag your boat over a beaver dam to get into. Lots of small Kokanee in little tacheeda if you want to have a fish dinner. There’s moose around, if the pipeline guys are still going the main road will be busy, but look around and find some spots and you should be able to pull a bull out.
I wouldn’t be overly concerned about bears. There’s plenty in the area but if you take the usual precautions you should be fine. Although I always keep a firearm handy just in case(I consider it one of the usual precautions).
Congratulations on your draw, have a great hunt and camping trip in our little piece of the province.

TedMcGill
07-23-2021, 09:22 AM
Thanks for all the information may postpone a week or two due to the wildfires. I purchased the zone maps for my hunt buddy app. I also heard back from Back Road Map Book new book is coming out but may not be released until later this year. Super excited about the hunt. I don’t have a radio in my truck to communicate with traffic.

Bernie O
07-24-2021, 08:07 AM
We use the cheap Baefongs, Get about 2 miles range in that area. I would not go down that canyon without a radio or waiting for traffic to follow. Its a smal price to pay for safety and they are usefull lots of other times. Have a good hunt.