PDA

View Full Version : Mountain rifles

Bustercluck
07-04-2021, 12:31 PM
I was just looking at the wss gef rifle raffle and wondering what everybody’s opinion is on a good mountain rifle. I’m packing an older browning a-bolt 2 with a synthetic stock in 300wsm that cost me I think $650. My brother just picked up one of the weatherby backcountry in 280 ackley.

Looking at the cost difference, my rifle will shoot moa or better, has a brake on it and the trigger is pretty decent and set to about 2.5 pounds. I’d have to check the weight again, but I think it was around 8 something pounds with scope. Part of me wants to upgrade this unit, but I just can’t justify spending $3k or more for something that will be marginally better and slightly lighter. I always look at the cost of stuff when I’m trying to lighten my pack and I’m getting to the point where it’s turning into hundreds of dollars to save ounces. Ive read a few things that said super light rifles get hard to shoot accurately with how much they jump

Anyways. What are you guys doing? Hi quality factory? Partial custom? Full custom? What caliber? It seems like lots of people default to the 280 ackley, but I think I’d be looking at something in a 6.5mm that could launch a 140 grain bullet at 3000fps or faster.

Fella
07-04-2021, 12:37 PM
You could always buy a lighter factory rifle like a tikka t3x lite. I switched from a Howa with a heavy vortex diamondback to a tikka t3 with a lighter leupold scope and saved at least a pound of weight. The rifle scope combo cost me less than $1500

bighornbob
07-04-2021, 12:53 PM
Kimber Hunter. Mike drop!!��

REMINGTON JIM
07-04-2021, 01:07 PM
New Tikka SS Superlite in 6.5 PRC would be my Choice ! :smile: RJ

Downwindtracker2
07-04-2021, 01:17 PM
I won't go into rifles other than to say lighter scope and stock, but the 6.5 caliber I do know a little about. A 6.5-06 may reach 3000 if loaded hot, but 2800 is much more realistic. The 6.5mmRM is usually limited by the magazine length to 130gr. bullets. A 264WM does do 3200. The things is, long skinny bullets are not famous for knock 'em down, with dinner bell grizzlies, whose idea was no grizzly hunting, you may wish for a heavier caliber.

Weatherby Fan
07-04-2021, 01:23 PM
New Tikka SS Superlite in 6.5 PRC would be my Choice ! :smile: RJ

I would second what RJ mentions above if I had to buy a factory rifle in 6.5 PRC or Kimber Montana or Mountain Ascent in 280AI

Aside from that I would go to a full custom build

Razor84
07-04-2021, 02:16 PM
Is your ABORT WSM slowing you down in the mtns? PROLLY NOT

walks with deer
07-04-2021, 02:36 PM
I would second what RJ mentions above if I had to buy a factory rifle in 6.5 PRC or Kimber Montana or Mountain Ascent in 280AI

Aside from that I would go to a full custom build

I have two kimbers and a t3xx super light.. kimber is my choice all the way.. super light swaro scopes..talk to the guys at great north prescion they will set you up.

jac
07-04-2021, 02:42 PM
Tikka t3x in 6.5 creed in stainless, I have a leupold vx3 HD with the dials on it. Nice lite accurate gun for a fair price. I bought everything from precision optics, I would highly recommend them. Omer was knowledgeable and takes his time with you going over options.

Weatherby Fan
07-04-2021, 02:44 PM
UltraLight rifles can shoot just as accurately as a heavier rifle, but thin barrels heat up quicker than heavy barrels and some start to walk as they heat up, just treat it and use it for what it is built for, a hunting rifle not a target rifle.

If you must shoot long strings of rounds let it cool between shots and all will be fine.

tdot
07-04-2021, 03:44 PM
If you are just looking to cut weight, then generally rifles are the most expensive place to find weight savings. I played the lightweight factory game for a few years with Kimbers and Sako/Tikka. But settled on a couple of full custom rifles. I just preferred the fit/finish and ergonomics, over the factory rifles. While the accuracy is definitely better, it is the consistency of that accuracy that is more important to me. A rifle that fits is going to shoot better in a wider range of conditions and positions. So whatever model you look at, I would stress the importance of finding something that fits you well.

I'll 2nd the above comments that 280ai should really be looked at as the minimum mountain cartridge. 7saum is a ballistic twin and is what I've built. I have shot a bunch of bears in the past number of years with 6.5's ranging from 260rem to a 6.5ss (short Magnum wildcat) and I was less then impressed with the results. Step up even to a 7-08 and there was a noticeable improvement. The size of the hole really does make a difference and for me 7mm is the minimum now.

Greenthumbed
07-04-2021, 05:00 PM
I was just looking at the wss gef rifle raffle and wondering what everybody’s opinion is on a good mountain rifle. I’m packing an older browning a-bolt 2 with a synthetic stock in 300wsm that cost me I think $650. My brother just picked up one of the weatherby backcountry in 280 ackley.

Looking at the cost difference, my rifle will shoot moa or better, has a brake on it and the trigger is pretty decent and set to about 2.5 pounds. I’d have to check the weight again, but I think it was around 8 something pounds with scope. Part of me wants to upgrade this unit, but I just can’t justify spending $3k or more for something that will be marginally better and slightly lighter. I always look at the cost of stuff when I’m trying to lighten my pack and I’m getting to the point where it’s turning into hundreds of dollars to save ounces. Ive read a few things that said super light rifles get hard to shoot accurately with how much they jump

Anyways. What are you guys doing? Hi quality factory? Partial custom? Full custom? What caliber? It seems like lots of people default to the 280 ackley, but I think I’d be looking at something in a 6.5mm that could launch a 140 grain bullet at 3000fps or faster.

I’m curious what you and your brother think of the Weatherby Backcountry. I’ve been thinking about one of these as my next rifle. I have a couple of Weatherbys Vanguards and like them a lot, but the weight is a bit on the high end.

JAGRMEISTER
07-04-2021, 05:08 PM
if you are getting old, great! a new rifle wont solve any problems, other than a bruised ego!

Bustercluck
07-04-2021, 05:33 PM
I’m curious what you and your brother think of the Weatherby Backcountry. I’ve been thinking about one of these as my next rifle. I have a couple of Weatherbys Vanguards and like them a lot, but the weight is a bit on the high end.

I haven’t shot it yet. The last time we were at the range he didn’t have much ammo with him. I’ll let u know when I do

Ought Six Ai
07-04-2021, 06:15 PM
I have a abolt ii in 7mmwsm with a Zeiss conquest on top it weighs in at 8.2lbs loaded. Not a light weight but not a deal breaker for me. That said buy another rifle can't have too many. I will be packing a Ruger 30-06ai with a conquest that is 7.9lbs.

swampthing
07-04-2021, 06:18 PM
Its all what your happy with. I just spent about $8,000.00 on a lightweight rig with a high end zeiss. It shoots almost as good as my $650.00 a bolt and only weighs about a pound less.

375shooter
07-04-2021, 06:46 PM
Lightweight rifles can be accurate. Recently I put 5 shots into 5 15/16 inches at 492 yards from the sitting position aided with a set of buffalo sticks. That measurement works out to be 1.15 MOA. The rifle is a Kimber Hunter with a Leupold 2-7x32 scope in .280 AI shooting handloads loaded with Federal 155 gr. TLR and RL-26. The gel inside the stock had been removed, so the total rifle weight is 5 lbs 15.8 ounces. IMO, that level of accuracy is very good for a factory rifle shooting from a field position. And what a joy to carry! Much better than an 8 pound rifle. And this particular rifle/scope combo is very affordable.

Husky7mm
07-04-2021, 08:01 PM
I have an abolt in a 270wsm that I have killed dozens of game animals with, and out to 500m. I though i needed an up grade so I bought a sexy xbolt stainless stalker shot show special with a horny stalk, and flutted barrel, and a leupold VX5 with CSD on it in another 270 wsm. I have killed an, elk, moose and deer with it since I bought it last year. But I feel bad getting it dusty and muddy up here in the peace. I usually take my old a bolt out still anyways. ( unless with my son, then he takes it). I should have just put a new bell calson stock on it and maybe a new scope and spent my money on new binos or other gear but thats just me. I don’t change what doesn't fail and works well already.
You want light weight, take psyllium fiber everyday and lose a pound or two you don’t want. Much cheaper. Lol

Weatherby Fan
07-04-2021, 08:11 PM
You want light weight, take psyllium fiber everyday and lose a pound or two you don’t want. Much cheaper. Lol

LOL Hell I could afford to lose 40lbs easy but theres no fun in that........buying or building rifles is way more fun :wink::mrgreen:

Husky7mm
07-04-2021, 08:12 PM
Lightweight rifles can be accurate. Recently I put 5 shots into 5 15/16 inches at 492 yards from the sitting position aided with a set of buffalo sticks. That measurement works out to be 1.15 MOA. The rifle is a Kimber Hunter with a Leupold 2-7x32 scope in .280 AI shooting handloads loaded with Federal 155 gr. TLR and RL-26. The gel inside the stock had been removed, so the total rifle weight is 5 lbs 15.8 ounces. IMO, that level of accuracy is very good for a factory rifle shooting from a field position. And what a joy to carry! Much better than an 8 pound rifle. And this particular rifle/scope combo is very affordable.

That is impressive. I may have to change after all. Lol

604ksmith
07-04-2021, 08:30 PM
Its all what your happy with. I just spent about $8,000.00 on a lightweight rig with a high end zeiss. It shoots almost as good as my $650.00 a bolt and only weighs about a pound less.

Don't say things like that out loud!

REMINGTON JIM
07-04-2021, 08:36 PM

LOL ! The MATH was there before you spent the Money ! ;) RJ

REMINGTON JIM
07-04-2021, 08:59 PM
If you are just looking to cut weight, then generally rifles are the most expensive place to find weight savings. I played the lightweight factory game for a few years with Kimbers and Sako/Tikka. But settled on a couple of full custom rifles. I just preferred the fit/finish and ergonomics, over the factory rifles. While the accuracy is definitely better, it is the consistency of that accuracy that is more important to me. A rifle that fits is going to shoot better in a wider range of conditions and positions. So whatever model you look at, I would stress the importance of finding something that fits you well.

I'll 2nd the above comments that 280ai should really be looked at as the minimum mountain cartridge. 7saum is a ballistic twin and is what I've built. I have shot a bunch of bears in the past number of years with 6.5's ranging from 260rem to a 6.5ss (short Magnum wildcat) and I was less then impressed with the results. Step up even to a 7-08 and there was a noticeable improvement. The size of the hole really does make a difference and for me 7mm is the minimum now.

Here's SOME from Reading from long range only forum ! :smile: RJ

https://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/threads/280ai-vs-6-5-prc.6876/

Shermanator
07-04-2021, 09:03 PM
Take a page outta my Poor Man's Hunting book! You can't beat the 300 WM and is saving an extra
pound really gonna make you shoot better or pack further? Everyone loves a new rifle, me included, and
if you got the coin then go for it! But then what do I know, I put Vortex scopes on Marlins!!�� I hear
you laughing again RJ! ��

358mag
07-04-2021, 09:43 PM
Take a page outta my Poor Man's Hunting book! You can't beat the 300 WM and is saving an extra
pound really gonna make you shoot better or pack further? Everyone loves a new rifle, me included, and
if you got the coin then go for it! But then what do I know, I put Vortex scopes on Marlins!!�� I hear

Bingo so very true .

REMINGTON JIM
07-04-2021, 11:16 PM
:lol: LMFFAO ! RJ

Redthies
07-05-2021, 07:01 AM
But then what do I know, I put Vortex scopes on Marlins!!�� I hear

Nikons for me, but my main hunting rifle is a Marlin 336BL and my “long range” rig is a 7-08 Ruger. I have just as much fun as the next guy I bet. My upland shotgun (not to mention my dogs) is worth more than double what my rifles are.

rustybarrel
07-05-2021, 09:03 AM
I went with a Tikka T3x super lite stainless with a Leupold 3x9- 36mm scope as a huff n puff rifle.
It is as light as most $3-4K “ mountain” outfits and a proven rifle….picked up a Kimber and the stock/pistol grip/ trigger alignment was goofy and action was not in same class as Tikka.
Got the super lite in 30-06 because the reality of hunting is that you always want to crawl closer, rather then shoot at 500 yards or more, and with a good bullet the 30-06 will take anything you may bump into up to 350 yards away.Ammo is priced well, there a choices from 130grains to 200 grains, and you can get it anywhere. I also think the recent long range hunting fad ain’t too cool….hitting paper at 800yards with a 6.5mm is one thing… nock yourself out,but taking that shot on game that deserves respect, is poor sportsmanship.

madcalfe
07-05-2021, 09:29 AM
.300wsm is a great cartridge. I've been exclusively shooting one for 12 years. and just built a custom one.
factory off the shelf guns will shoot just as good as high end custom guns with proper load development and bedding.
you just get nicer features and materials with high end guns. PS your 8lb scoped rifle is fine.
my custom gun is 5lbs 4oz with over 2lbs of scope..... I'm at 8lbs 2oz scoped with a full mag. My ridgeline was about the same for weight but with a vx5 on it and I never once thought it was too heavy on a sheep hunt. Sounds like you just want a good reason to buy a new gun hahaha.

Weatherby Fan
07-05-2021, 09:34 AM
I went with a Tikka T3x super lite stainless with a Leupold 3x9- 36mm scope as a huff n puff rifle.
It is as light as most $3-4K “ mountain” outfits and a proven rifle….picked up a Kimber and the stock/pistol grip/ trigger alignment was goofy and action was not in same class as Tikka.
Got the super lite in 30-06 because the reality of hunting is that you always want to crawl closer, rather then shoot at 500 yards or more, and with a good bullet the 30-06 will take anything you may bump into up to 350 yards away.Ammo is priced well, there a choices from 130grains to 200 grains, and you can get it anywhere. I also think the recent long range hunting fad ain’t too cool….hitting paper at 800yards with a 6.5mm is one thing… nock yourself out,but taking that shot on game that deserves respect, is poor sportsmanship.

So the action of a Kimber was not as good as a Tikka ? in what regard ?

So since you can’t shoot past 350 yards anyone else that does is disrespectful to the animal and is a poor sportsman, :confused:

Hard to be humble when your so perfect in every way :roll:

Downwindtracker2
07-05-2021, 11:56 AM
Corlanes have podcast, mentioned before here as bear attacks, but they talk about mountain rifles as well. Always good to get an expert advice.

Mark-R
07-05-2021, 01:56 PM
I have a Howa alpine mountain rifle chambered in 7mm-08 and mounted a Leupold VX3i 3.5x10x40 scope with Talley rings. No muzzle brake.
The rifle, scope, rings and neoprene scope cover weigh 7.12 lbs. Rifle only is 5.7 lbs.
This setup allows me to hike anywhere and puts a smile on my face every time I pick it up.
Not available anymore but gives a weight reference.

sako79
07-05-2021, 02:07 PM
I love my Kimber mountain ascent Chambered in 280 Ackley. Shoots under half inch groups and weighs 6 pounds 3 oz scoped

RobTurbo
07-05-2021, 03:22 PM
Best podcast I've listened to on this was Journal of Mountain Hunting' Beyond the kill: Episode 238. That should help your decision.

RackStar
07-05-2021, 07:09 PM
Kimber Montana for me. Leupold vx3i

solid setup, can’t say it doesn’t anything different then A tikka , but personally I love the rifle

Ohwildwon
07-05-2021, 08:25 PM
My first rifle was a Weatherby Vanguard2 SS 30:06 with Vortex Viper.

Awesome set up for the price except, my preferred style of hunting became

stalk and spot all day.

Did my homework and purchased a Kimber MA in 280ai with Leopold v3 b&c.

The difference carrying it around all day is unbelievable.

I just don’t even hardly notice it!

Also, with the muzzle brake plus the chamber, kickback is so mild.

If I had to do it over after 4 years, wouldn’t change a thing.

REMINGTON JIM
07-05-2021, 09:18 PM
My T3X Super Lite 7-08 with a Wildcat stock - Talley 30 mm rings with a 4.5 x 14 x 40 Leupold 30mm Side Focus CDS scope is ALL in at 103 oz - So just under 6.5 lbs ! :smile: RJ

Astepanuk
07-08-2021, 11:04 AM
I for one really like packing my 300RUM for all of my Mountain hunts. I have a Christensen Arms Summit TI with a Leupold VX-5HD weighing 7Lbs 12oz. I like having the bear stopping power of my RUM not worried about packing a small Caliber rifle.

Citori54
07-08-2021, 02:11 PM
Melvin built me a New Ultralight Arms (NULA) chambered in 7-08. With Talley rings, Leupold 2.5-8 x36 scope, Leupold flip up caps, sling and 4 rounds it weighs 6 lbs 6 1/2 ounces. Bare rifle 5 lbs on the button. A dream to pack and shoot.

barry1974w
07-08-2021, 09:17 PM
The hunting rifle I’ve been primarily using the last couple years is kimber hunter in 280AI, shoots like a dream, nice to carry. I’m really happy with it. Although years ago I was headed on a hunt that I wasn’t in shape for so I hacked up a Remington 600. Got it down to 6.25 pounds hunt ready without taking any metal off. Just wood.

Arctic Lake
07-09-2021, 07:33 AM
OP. Sorry but going to sneak this in here . Mountain Rifle weight seems to be personnel …..? Some bigger and in shape fellas would not notice the weight of a heavier rifle . But curious as to what is considered an ideal weight ?
Arctic Lake

fuzzybiscuit
07-09-2021, 08:46 AM
OP. Sorry but going to sneak this in hear . Mountain Rifle weight seems to be personnel …..? Some bigger and in shape fellas would not notice the weight of a heavier rifle . But curious as to what is considered an ideal weight ?
Arctic Lake

Answers will be all over the board on this. At 5’8” and a fairly solid 190lbs I like a mountain rifle to come in between 6-1/2 and 7 pounds. That’s rifle with a scope mounted on it. I’ve tried to get lighter but then cost goes way up. I bought a Savage 110 lightweight stainless storm in 308 last fall that’s a weighed 5-1/2 pound rifle. With a Leupold Ultralight 3-9 and Talley rings it came in at 6.2lbs. While it shoots great the action is rough, the stock is hollow plastic and it’s a bit fugly. But at $950 tax in for the rifle it’s a good value if you are looking for a light weight rifle that you don’t need to worry about putting the odd mark on.

Weatherby Fan
07-09-2021, 08:48 AM
OP. Sorry but going to sneak this in hear . Mountain Rifle weight seems to be personnel …..? Some bigger and in shape fellas would not notice the weight of a heavier rifle . But curious as to what is considered an ideal weight ?
Arctic Lake

Well as you mention everyone is different and for myself lighter the better, but of course the trade off is recoil and for some that don’t shoot much but once a year it can be detrimental, my older brother packed a 10lb 300 Weatherby for the last 30 years until we built him a 280AI on a Mark V 6 Lug SS action and now he has a scoped rifle that weighs 7.5lbs so he’s clicking his heels.

Jack OConnor though a scoped rifle of 7.5lbs was the perfect weight for a lightweight hunting rifle,

I’ll say anything between 6-7.5lbs is a dream to carry and shoot but again everyone is different, I also find if your hiking/backpacking a lot a rifle over 7.5lbs feels like a burden by the end of the day, the next guy will say it doesn’t matter.

Aaron Davidson of Gunwerks says if a rifle is lighter than 8lbs scoped you can’t shoot it properly when laying prone.
Ive never shot an animal laying prone yet but ?

I break weights down into groups of scoped rifle weight,
Ultra light - 5lbs-6.5lbs
Lightweight - 6.5-7.5lbs
standard weight - 7.5-9lbs
wheelbarrow rifle- 9lbs and over

REMINGTON JIM
07-09-2021, 09:11 AM
Aaron Davidson of Gunwerks says if a rifle is lighter than 8lbs scoped you can’t shoot it properly when laying prone.

Don't GET that ? When laying Prone you will be shooting over your Pack - Coat etc or off a bipod PROBABLY ! RJ

todbartell
07-09-2021, 09:32 AM
His level of expectations / results is likely different than yours

Weatherby Fan
07-09-2021, 12:12 PM

Don't GET that ? When laying Prone you will be shooting over your Pack - Coat etc or off a bipod PROBABLY ! RJ

He says that a rifle of less than 8lbs is to prone to recoil and then you can't stay on your sight picture for a follow up shot, I told Aaron I only need one shot even if I am bleeding from my eyebrow ;)

BRrooster
07-09-2021, 02:16 PM
Seems to me that when you are shooting prone , your shoulder and body take the whole recoil and there is no give anywhere. While shooting in other positions , like sitting , kneeling and standing , the recoil is somewhat less felt by the "rocking" of your body away from the target. If you say that you dont rock back with the recoil, try shooting with your back agin the ol barn door!

REMINGTON JIM
07-09-2021, 03:22 PM
Prone Shooting in a Competition will have a LOT of rounds fired vs a hunting situation ! The light rifle will NOT be a hinder at all on a hunting situation . RJ

REMINGTON JIM
07-09-2021, 03:24 PM
His level of expectations / results is likely different than yours
That would True ! RJ

REMINGTON JIM
07-09-2021, 03:27 PM
I have a 5 lb 10 oz M7 6.5 CM rifle !
So Nice to carry and it shoots Well Enough for me - prob not good enough for some others on here ! RJ

madcalfe
07-09-2021, 04:39 PM
I'm at 8lbs 2oz scoped with my custom and don't find it at all a hinderance at all and im a smaller guy.

Arctic Lake
07-09-2021, 06:21 PM
Fuzzy and WF ! Thank you for your replies to my babbling ! Bustercluck my apologies to you I’m not try to take away from your thread !

I have been saving some money and the thought of a lighter weight rifle is appealing , maybe even a GEF build . But I’m sort of stuck on a cartridge / caliber . I have a Remington wood stocked 3006 and the Remington American Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor so…….…. both are under 8 lbs scoped . I’m not sure I like an ultra thin barrel , I know about the accuracy going out the window after 3 shots and if you can’t bring down your quarry in 3 shots you have a problem
Arctic Lake

Bustercluck
07-10-2021, 06:34 AM
Fuzzy and WF ! Thank you for your replies to my babbling ! Bustercluck my apologies to you I’m not try to take away from your thread !

I have been saving some money and the thought of a lighter weight rifle is appealing , maybe even a GEF build . But I’m sort of stuck on a cartridge / caliber . I have a Remington wood stocked 3006 and the Remington American Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor so…….…. both are under 8 lbs scoped . I’m not sure I like an ultra thin barrel , I know about the accuracy going out the window after 3 shots and if you can’t bring down your quarry in 3 shots you have a problem
Arctic Lake
It’s all good buddy. The thread goes wherever the people want it to go.

REMINGTON JIM
07-10-2021, 08:40 AM
Artic what's the Cartridge your stuck On ? RJ

Arctic Lake
07-10-2021, 09:35 AM
Not sure RJ that’s part of the equation I’m trying to decide on . 30.06 and the 6.5 Creed are in the safe now . I’m thinking something not to obscure and I don’t reload as of yet .
Arctic Lake
Artic what's the Cartridge your stuck On ? RJ

todbartell
07-10-2021, 09:48 AM
You should grab a Tikka T3x Lite in 270 Winchester, and get GEF to install a Wildcat stock

Arctic Lake
07-10-2021, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the idea Mr. Bartell !
Arctic Lake
You should grab a Tikka T3x Lite in 270 Winchester, and get GEF to install a Wildcat stock

Fella
07-10-2021, 10:11 AM
Good choice, I have a t3 lite in 270 with the factory stock topped with a vx3i cds and I can carry that thing all day long

REMINGTON JIM
07-10-2021, 04:30 PM
HMM I think Fella would sell his tikka 270 as he wants a 280 AI rifle ! RJ

I bought mine in 7 08 Rem as I am not a big 270 Win Fan but the 270 Win is a Great performer !

REMINGTON JIM
07-10-2021, 04:32 PM
OR find a Kimber Hunter in 270 win or 280AI. RJ

I bought mine in 30 06 as I already have a custom rifle in 280 AI . RJ

338edgehunter
07-10-2021, 05:31 PM
I'm shooting a Christensen arms 300 prc mesa that I put a xlr element chassis on and a leupold 4x24x52 on the whole thing with bipod is under 7.7lbs.the stock is 23 oz totaled it's made of magnesium

quarterman
07-12-2021, 06:48 PM

I have two of these one in a titanium in 6.5 rpm and it’s insanely accurate with handloads. Im using reloader 25 and 143 grain eldx’s at 2996 fps. It will shoot sub half moa if i do my part. The other is the standar backcountry mk v in 300 wby and it is a 1/2 to 3/4 moa rifle again with handloads. I’m shooting a 200 grain eldx at 3042 fps. The triggertech triggers are awsome. Now the downside. The stocks that come on these rifles look nice but they are garbage. On both rifles the stocks cracked behind the front pillar within 60 rounds. Yes the action screws were torqued to spec. Im currently waiting for both stocks to be replaced on warranty. I purchased a new bell and carlson stock for the 300 so i can atleast hunt with it while i wait for a replacement stock. If i were looking at a lightweight weatherby i would just stick with the standard ultralight instead of the backcountry as it has a bell and carlson and they are well made and have a full lenght aluminium bedding block. Just my two bits

Bustercluck
07-12-2021, 06:55 PM
I have two of these one in a titanium in 6.5 rpm and it’s insanely accurate with handloads. Im using reloader 25 and 143 grain eldx’s at 2996 fps. It will shoot sub half moa if i do my part. The other is the standar backcountry mk v in 300 wby and it is a 1/2 to 3/4 moa rifle again with handloads. I’m shooting a 200 grain eldx at 3042 fps. The triggertech triggers are awsome. Now the downside. The stocks that come on these rifles look nice but they are garbage. On both rifles the stocks cracked behind the front pillar within 60 rounds. Yes the action screws were torqued to spec. Im currently waiting for both stocks to be replaced on warranty. I purchased a new bell and carlson stock for the 300 so i can atleast hunt with it while i wait for a replacement stock. If i were looking at a lightweight weatherby i would just stick with the standard ultralight instead of the backcountry as it has a bell and carlson and they are well made and have a full lenght aluminium bedding block. Just my two bits
What kind of adjustments can you get out of the trigger tech for the weatherby? I think I read somewhere the weatherby factory trigger only tunes down to about 2.5 pounds, but I’m going by memory.

REMINGTON JIM
07-12-2021, 07:12 PM
My WBee MK 240 Mag Ultralight weights in at 5.75 lbs bare I have the trigger worked over to under 2 lbs and Crisp ! RJ

quarterman
07-12-2021, 09:18 PM
Its 2.5 pounds

REMINGTON JIM
07-12-2021, 10:48 PM
Its 2.5 pounds

Maybe Yours is ! mine is 28 oz on a Wheeler Professional digital trigger pull scale. RJ

Elkchaser
07-16-2021, 11:11 AM
Not trying to rock the boat here but weight is irrelevant to me, accuracy and predator management are very relevant. Many years of climbing/hiking in real mountains, distances many consider absurd, led me to perfect my gun carrying mechanism. I sling my rifle on either horn of a very well padded external pack frame. Sling to shooting position is 2 seconds or less. Ultimately, is it the gun weight in your hands all day (or on your shoulder) that’s an issue, and if so solve that. Carrying an extra 3-4 lbs on your hips and legs all day is no big deal.

swampthing
07-16-2021, 06:30 PM
What kind of adjustments can you get out of the trigger tech for the weatherby? I think I read somewhere the weatherby factory trigger only tunes down to about 2.5 pounds, but I’m going by memory.

I have the backcountry in a left handed 6.5-300. I have the triggertech at 1lb 14oz. Quarterman is the first I have heard talk about this stock issue! I generally bed every rifle but havent done my backcountry so I will probably do that for good measure. I sold my 6.5-300 ultralight after buying the backcountry. I find it a "next level" weatherby product and am absolutely impressed with mine in all aspects.

Rotorwash
07-17-2021, 09:06 PM
Last year I carried around my savage 111 in 358 norma with a luepold vx5. weighs around 8 lbs. if your looking to cut weight in your gear there is better and cheaper ways to save weight. Tent, bag, pack, food ect. But if your just looking for an excuse to buy another rifle I can sympathize. I'm trying to justify a lightweight 338 RUM at the moment...

Bustercluck
07-17-2021, 09:59 PM
I have the backcountry in a left handed 6.5-300. I have the triggertech at 1lb 14oz. Quarterman is the first I have heard talk about this stock issue! I generally bed every rifle but havent done my backcountry so I will probably do that for good measure. I sold my 6.5-300 ultralight after buying the backcountry. I find it a "next level" weatherby product and am absolutely impressed with mine in all aspects.
I would hope that a $3000 rifle would have at least the recoil lug bedded at the factory.

I won’t be buying a new rifle this year, but the backcountry in 6.5 rpm is looking pretty attractive, with a trigger tech set at 1.75 pounds

bangbangkhan
07-18-2021, 01:52 PM
I just did my first custom rifle in 6.5. what I learned is customs are best if you want versatility and you can mold them for your shooting style. After a certain point making them light is counterproductive. All depends on what one can afford and their shooting skills. The best rifle in the world will mean nothing if you can’t shoot right.

pg83
07-18-2021, 03:44 PM
Add me to the Kimber Hunter fan(boy) club.

Purchased one in 280 Ackley Improved about four years ago and slapped a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm on it. Use 140gr Nosler AB's and with 3 in the mag, the entire package comes in at an even 7 lb.

I have taken 3 black bears, 1 mule deer, 2 whitetail, 1 cougar, and 1 elk with it all at 100 yards or less. Nothing went further than 10 yards and I don't proclaim to be anything special when it comes to shooting.

I spent a touch over 2k for it all, including scope installation and three boxes of ammo. I'll keep trying to win something fancier in all those amazing WSSBC raffles, but I don't see myself buying another gun anytime soon.

Bustercluck
09-03-2021, 08:10 AM
So I shot a 280 ackley kimber mountain ascent and a 280 ackley backcountry side by side last night and gave each of them a little going over. They’re really comparable rifles for ergonomics and feel. I shot both of them at a 300m gong with ease and I’m sure their accuracy potential would be equal.

The kimber- I found the action a bit sloppy and not so smooth and I didn’t like how high you have to throw the bolt, it almost hits the scope. This gun didn’t have a break on it, but the felt recoil was substantially higher and it jumped right off of the sandbags I was resting on. I’d have to check the weight differences, but I’m betting the kimber is slightly heavier, or at least the barrel profile is as you can feel the weight out there(I checked the weights and the kimber actually comes in lighter, so it must just be a heavier barrel profile). The thing that was really impressive was the trigger. He didn’t measure it, but it was way lighter than the weatherby.

The weatherby- Like I said, ergonomics are pretty similar. Not that I’d ever be shooting freehand, but it holds really nice and balanced with the light profile barrel. I have mixed feelings on the recoil pad. It absorbs a lot of the recoil, but it’s deformed from standing up on the pad in the safe. It’s a soft piece of rubber and it squishes and doesn’t return right away. Apparently it does go back to normal after a while, but I wouldn’t store it on its butt pad, I’d have to figure something else out. The trigger is the deal breaker for me. This trigger hasn’t been messed with but I’d be willing to bet it’s right around 2.5 pounds. If you can’t turn that down or buy a replacement to turn down than it would be out of the question for me.

Than comes caliber selection. If I got this right, the smaller kimber calibres are 6.5 creed, 7-08 or the 280 ackley. I think the caliber selections for the weatherby were far better, other than a lot of them were the weatherby mgnums which might be harder/more expensive to shoot.

REMINGTON JIM
09-03-2021, 09:37 AM
The Kimber is about 8 o z lighter then the WBee The Wbee has a fully adjustable trigger tech trigger which can be made Perfect like the Kimber is. RJ

Citori54
09-03-2021, 11:09 AM
The Backcountry Ti in 280 AI is listed as 4.9 pounds but will set you back $1000 more than the regular Backcountry which is listed at 5.4 lbs in 280AI on the Weatherby website. On some other forums I have seen reports of split stocks in the Backcountry. Anyone here heard of the same issue?

Bustercluck
09-03-2021, 12:04 PM
The Kimber is about 8 o z lighter then the WBee The Wbee has a fully adjustable trigger tech trigger which can be made Perfect like the Kimber is. RJ
I figured the trigger can be tuned down. My brother is a bit of a pussy when it comes to mucking with triggers and stuff. We’ll see if he’ll tweek it after hunting season.