PDA

View Full Version : Mulie Madness

brotherjack
11-06-2007, 02:50 PM
This morning I climbed a mountain. A pretty big mountain. Packing my 12lb 303 British because The Wife(tm) is packing the Kimber down around on the low side of the same mountain. Took me almost an hour, and hurt me pretty good getting up it. Fifteen minutes after making the summit, I finally stopped sweating enough so that I could put my glasses back on for a few seconds at a time without them fogging. Oh look - mule deer, about 300 yards out. Five minutes later when I could actually get my binoculars and my glasses both fog-free at the same time for 5 or 10 seconds, I'm 99% sure that one of them is a smallish 4x4. Heck, I ain't proud - I'm hungry - smallish is just fine - the stalk is on.

I slipped back over the ridgeline so they couldn't see me, and made my way as close as I could get before having to break cover. I creeped around the edge of the ridge I was hiding behind, and all the mule deer are staring me down. After some more frustrations with fogging glasses, I finally get the bino's on him and yep, I'm sure enough he's a four point to kill him. I guesimtated the range as about 200 yards (in hindsight, I think the wide open spaces deceived me, and it was more like 300). Well I thought to myself, that's a long ways, but I've practiced this shot enough to feel good about it. And since they're all wide-eyed and staring me down, I figure I'm probably not going to be able to get any closer. So I find an old stump for a rest, dial the scope on the trusty old Enfield up to 9, and center the crosshairs on his chest.

I took my time, and got real comfortable and steady, and gently squeezed the trigger. Recovering from the recoil, I found him in the scope again, unmoved - but now with his head down. I figure I must have hit him, but was afraid it wasn't a good hit. Worried, I lined up on him again and touched another one off. He was still standing there, so I did it again. As the rifle drops back down on to the rest the third time, I notice dust settling to the ground near the buck. Oh, you have to be kidding me I scream to myself - I've done 200 meters/218 yards at the range with a solid rest like this enough times to know I ain't off by more than maybe 2 inches tops. Even if you add in some excitement and whatnot, there's still no way I should be kicking up dust and not hitting this buck. I think my scope is off - *&^%.

At this point, the buck and his companions started walking slowly off towards the timber, which was about 500 yards away. I held my breath, and sure enough, they ducked up an old skid trail on the way to the timber that put them on the other side of a small ridge of ground and out of my sight - and more importantly, me out of theirs. I came down from my high perch at as close to a dead run as I could manage on the steep slope, and headed for a spot I figured I could get within about 30 yards of where they should come out into the clear again. They were just walking, so I thought my chances were pretty good I could get close enough that my scope being off a bit wouldn't matter (and I was still open to the possibility that my shooting under pressure had been that bad).

I made it to where I thought I should be to intercept them, and started looking around. Stupid glasses fogging up again, and so were the binoculars. A few swipes at the lenses later, I could see just well enough to see the buck about 30 yards out walking slowly away from me. Scrambling uphill in search of a better angle, I was rewarded when he turned broadside and stared at me. Quick as a flash, I found a stump for a rest (he may have only been 30 yards, but I was huffing and puffing like a freight train at this point from all the running - a rest was definitely in order). Crosshairs on his vitals, and I squeezed the trigger. He reacted by hunching up, which wasn't what I was hoping for, so I ran another round into the chamber and shot him again. He reacted again, but I wasn't seeing that 'heart-shot kick' I was hoping for, so I ran my last round into the chamber and this time I put the crosshairs just ahead of his front shoulders. I said a silent prayer as I touched it off. At the third shot, he bolted hard uphill and made about 40 yards before he went down in in a pile.

I made my way cautiously up towards where he had fallen. He looked down and dead - his head tilted over and laying on the ground, but no sooner had I relaxed my guard and started towards him at a more normal pace, and he jumped to his feet and bolted dowhill. 30 yards into his second frantic flight, he went down again and didn't get up. I waited a few minutes this time befofe I headed over towards him. Just as I did, the buck raised his head up, groaned, and then tipped over backwards and did a couple of summersaults down the slope (did I mention all this was happening on the side of a mountain with about a 45 degree slope?). After he came to a stop, it was obvious he was dead. I walked over and poked him in the eye to be sure.

And just like that, my hunting season is over (well, except for maybe some coyotes or sumpthin). I called The Wife(tm) on the radio and told her to come find me, as we had work to do. Lots of work - it was about a mile and 1,000 vertical feet back to the truck.

Here's the pic, after I had already dragged him half way down the mountain.

http://xjack.org/hunting/amd01-07.jpg

Footnotes – during the post mortem, I have decided I don’t like the Sierra 180 grain bullets I’ve hand loaded in my 303. The exit wounds only slightly larger than entrance wounds, and the lungs had holes in them, but were still mainly intact. The Winchester PowerPoint’s I used to use would typically turn the lungs into jello. Also, I think I was right - the gun must be off a bit, since even at 30 or 40 yards, all of the hits were a few inches to the right of where I was trying to put them. Sigh… I am getting REALLY sick and tired of gun problems. Seems like it's been one after another this year.

Oh well – it’s said and done now. Life is good, the beast is dead, the freezer is (about to be) pretty much full, and that is the end of that.

rocksteady
11-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Congrats, you may have been frustrated by elk, but you scored on the mulie and the whitey...(Whats the old song "2 out of 3 ain't bad!!!")

I recognize roughly where you were hunting from the pictures (But I won't tell anyone.....) How badly did he smell??

Nice typical 4 point, not a brute, but you can't eat horns anyways...

buckguy
11-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Well worth the work and work ya did...:lol: He will taste better..nice buck!

Sharkey
11-06-2007, 03:02 PM
GOOD WORK! What a nice looking buck. Kind of sad to see the end of the season for you. Oh well... you'll have lots in the freezer and a great story to tell for years to come... "Did I ever tell you the story of when I dragged out that 4 x 4 mulie in the fall of ot-seven?"
~D

greatwhitehunter
11-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Nice looking Buck and great story to boot! Congratulations.

cbearw
11-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Really nice buck! Congrats. Great looking country in the picture. Geez it must have sounded like a bit of a war zone on the side of that mountain! Too bad about the scope being off but your determination really came through. A great read. It was almost like being there myself. The fogged glasses and binos I can relate too. Sounds like you definitly got your exercise. I have been out a few times now for mulies but have yet to connect. Nice to read about the success of others (or lack of!) here on the forum. Good job and thanks for posting. :smile:

The Dawg
11-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Beauty buck...the old 303 does it again! Nice job!

Mr. Dean
11-06-2007, 03:34 PM
VERY NICE buck indeed.

Tell the Wife(TM), that she needs to go out and buy her OWN rifle...

308BAR
11-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Nice solid four! Congrats!

BCJunior
11-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Nice 4x4 good looking buck! Congratz and good story!

brotherjack
11-06-2007, 03:48 PM
I recognize roughly where you were hunting from the pictures (But I won't tell anyone.....) How badly did he smell??

LOL - as if there's anybody in the EK who doesn't know where it is! I've lost track of how many other guys I've seen hunting up there. Oh well, I don't mind the company - the guys on quads just chase em up into the high country where I'm waitin' for em. :)

He was a bit smelly, but not all that bad. His neck really wasn't even swelled up too much yet. He should eat nice. :)

NEEHAMA
11-06-2007, 03:50 PM
great story! great looking deer. look into contact lenses and a new gun.

excellent finish to the season bro

brotherjack
11-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Congrats, you may have been frustrated by elk, but you scored on the mulie and the whitey...

Heh - yeah, I'm a pretty good deer hunter (or maybe deer are just easier to hunt). Elk, I'm not so good at.

:)

hunter1947
11-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Nice mulie brother jack ,lots of meat off him ,good going.8)

4 point
11-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Nice buck....
I gave up of my old 303 some 35+ yars ago and hunting has been much better since.

bruin
11-06-2007, 04:18 PM
NIce buck, should be some good eats

Will
11-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Congrats nothing wrong with that fella ! 8-)

brotherjack
11-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Side note - The Wife(tm) informs me, that hunting season is NOT over, and SHE still has a mulie tag she might like cut before it's all over. So, maybe I don't get to sleep in for the rest of the year, as I don't expect she's going mountain climbing on her own....

LeverActionJunkie
11-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Congrats BrotherJack thats a very nice buck! always like to hear of hard work paying off.

RMG
11-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Sweet, great story, always a joy to see another post from brotherjack. Good luck to the Wife(tm).

Phil
11-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Way to go Bro! That is a real nice looking Buck.

Jetboat
11-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Congrats on a good buck and great story. I can relate to the whole eye glasses kerfuffle...lol. Been there, done that!

todbartell
11-07-2007, 12:10 AM
that is a pretty nice looking buck there

It'll be interesting to hear your findings when you take your 303 to the range and check the impact!

Brambles
11-07-2007, 05:10 AM
Time to buy another rifle, since you were so nice in giving your Montana to your wife you deserve one too. Time to retire that 303, its more stress than its worth.

5/10/85
11-07-2007, 08:20 AM
so now time to go out for some elk eh? Boy you really were telling the truth when you said you had a lot of success hunting deer! Congrats on the beautiful buck.

brotherjack
11-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Hey now, be a bit kind to my old Enfield - if the scope is off, then this would be the first and only hassle I've ever had out of it. Other than the weight issue, I've never had any complaints about it at all - it's been rock solid reliable over the years, and shooting the Winchester PowerPoint's, it's handily killed everything I ever shot with it so effectively that I never had one get out of sight on me after the shot.

We'll see what happens at the range. I'm pretty sure it's off, as my 30 yard shots were hitting to the right - but that could have been adrenalin, me huffing and puffing, and a bit of target panic after the events leading up to the last three shots. I'm also still suspicious that I guestimated 200 yards and it was really more like 300 or 400. The country up there is wide open, and range estimation up there can be pretty tough.

But yeah, a trip to the range will tell the tale.

Wait - what am i saying? Of course, I MUST need a new gun.... Where's The Wife(tm), I'll go and tell her immediately!.... :)

brotherjack
11-07-2007, 08:42 AM
so now time to go out for some elk eh? Boy you really were telling the truth when you said you had a lot of success hunting deer! Congrats on the beautiful buck.

Nope, elk is already closed around here, and I'm not much of a traveling hunter (especially not for something as frustrating to hunt as elk). And yep, deer hunting really is my thing. :)

ohno
11-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Congrats on the nice 4pt.
A few game animals have been falling to the venerable 303 this year.
If you like the enfield action so much you can always pick up one of those Australian 308 Enfields, but I don't think that would help your weight issue.

rocksteady
11-07-2007, 10:48 AM
[quote=brotherjack;203512]LOL - as if there's anybody in the EK who doesn't know where it is! I've lost track of how many other guys I've seen hunting up there. Oh well, I don't mind the company - the guys on quads just chase em up into the high country where I'm waitin' for em. :)

I have hunted that area in the late season and have seen it where it is an absolute gong show, trucks , quads, driving up and down the roads.....Better chance of being in a severe Motor Vehicle Accident than finding a 4 point......

Also found several cases of buck fever, shot and left 3 points etc etc....Reported them to the CO's but not enough evidence to find the culprits...Don't hunt there any more......

Brambles
11-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey now, be a bit kind to my old Enfield - if the scope is off, then this would be the first and only hassle I've ever had out of it. Other than the weight issue, I've never had any complaints about it at all - it's been rock solid reliable over the years, and shooting the Winchester PowerPoint's, it's handily killed everything I ever shot with it so effectively that I never had one get out of sight on me after the shot.

We'll see what happens at the range. I'm pretty sure it's off, as my 30 yard shots were hitting to the right - but that could have been adrenalin, me huffing and puffing, and a bit of target panic after the events leading up to the last three shots. I'm also still suspicious that I guestimated 200 yards and it was really more like 300 or 400. The country up there is wide open, and range estimation up there can be pretty tough.

But yeah, a trip to the range will tell the tale.

Wait - what am i saying? Of course, I MUST need a new gun.... Where's The Wife(tm), I'll go and tell her immediately!.... :)

Are you forgetting about the last mulie that you missed because of this rifle and had go grab your wifes rifle to finish it off? Maybe this rifle just doesn't like mulies????

brotherjack
11-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Are you forgetting about the last mulie that you missed because of this rifle and had go grab your wifes rifle to finish it off? Maybe this rifle just doesn't like mulies????

Oh, I must not have posted the follow-up to that one. Turns out it was 100% my fault. That was back before I knew enough about rifles to know that resting the barrel (instead of the stock) on the sandbags while sighting in was a bad idea (which is what I had done when sighting in the gun that year). Turned out after I was clued into what I had done, that the rifle was shooting about 18" low at 50 yards. So, while that was a frustrating moment in my life - I don't blame the rifle for that one in the least.

Tikka7mm
11-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Nice buck brotherjack. Not quite the Elk you wanted but definitley a fine looking buck. Congrats.

Brambles
11-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Oh, I must not have posted the follow-up to that one. Turns out it was 100% my fault. That was back before I knew enough about rifles to know that resting the barrel (instead of the stock) on the sandbags while sighting in was a bad idea (which is what I had done when sighting in the gun that year). Turned out after I was clued into what I had done, that the rifle was shooting about 18" low at 50 yards. So, while that was a frustrating moment in my life - I don't blame the rifle for that one in the least.

OK your enfield has a "stay of execution" for the time being.:smile: But you should still talk to the wife about a new rifle, its always a good idea to have too many rifles:razz:

Poguebilt
11-07-2007, 08:48 PM
nice mulie... nice area to hunt too ;)