PDA

View Full Version : Help with scouting Grouse and Deer

RiverOrange
06-30-2021, 04:28 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new to hunting, just got my license and I'm trying to look for spots with animals before the season starts.

For grouse: I have driven down a couple of FSRs slowly in the mainland and on the island and haven't had any luck spotting any yet. For the mainland specifically I am not sure how far away from Vancouver I need to be to start seeing grouse. If anyone can recommend some FSRs for me to look down or general areas where they are populated within 3 hours drive of Vancouver or other tips I would really appreciate it.

For Deer: How do I find them? For grouse I've heard people try the FSRs, but not really sure where to start with deer. Have just been driving around areas that I know deer exist and try to find a spot to enter the bush. An issue with this is terrain. The few places I've tried had very rough terrain. Are there any spots in BC I can scout where the terrain is not as rough?

Also, if anyone has any beginner advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.

upperleftcoaster
06-30-2021, 09:38 PM
i saw a lot of grouse this spring already across the province. good dry spring. if they don't get bbq'd by the fires, pick a road and start walking.

HarryToolips
06-30-2021, 09:42 PM
A lot of times you will find grouse on the roads yes, but they like mixed forests as well, and it's fun to hike around for them...you'll hear them bolt then try to catch a glimpse of them, and what tree they roost in after they initially fly from you..then many times they'll be sitting ducks..they also like regrown older cutblocks with trees 20-30 feet high...

For deer, you know they need to bed, feed, and water - find the habitat, find the sign..

waserwolf
07-01-2021, 08:02 AM
I find the best time of day to find Grouse on Roads is early morning and late evening.
Usually I am hiking in or out at these times so I don't see many Grouse, if I dedicate time to Hunting Grouse during these times.....different story.

RiverOrange
07-01-2021, 06:53 PM
Ah, thanks for the tip! I've mostly been going in the middle of the day, I'll try to get out earlier in the future.

mrdoog
07-01-2021, 09:03 PM
Yup, get out earlier, stay later.
Deer; get used to walking slowly and looking around.
My favourite walks are deactivated roads that are almost overgrown, take your time, use your eyes, ears and nose.
Don’t expect to always see the whole deer, they’re sneaky buggers, at times the first thing you’ll see is their butt as they bounce away from you.
good luck

Redthies
07-01-2021, 09:41 PM
95% of animals feed just after first lite (tm), and right before dark. Mid day is when they will be hunkered down for the most part.

Deer are fairly easy to find if you look for the right things. Park your car and walk. Look for game trails leaving FSRs and follow them. You will see droppings, tracks and bedding sites. As others have said, walk REALLY slowly. Then slow down again by 100% factor. Keep the wind in your face...

walks with deer
07-01-2021, 10:56 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new to hunting, just got my license and I'm trying to look for spots with animals before the season starts.

For grouse: I have driven down a couple of FSRs slowly in the mainland and on the island and haven't had any luck spotting any yet. For the mainland specifically I am not sure how far away from Vancouver I need to be to start seeing grouse. If anyone can recommend some FSRs for me to look down or general areas where they are populated within 3 hours drive of Vancouver or other tips I would really appreciate it.

For Deer: How do I find them? For grouse I've heard people try the FSRs, but not really sure where to start with deer. Have just been driving around areas that I know deer exist and try to find a spot to enter the bush. An issue with this is terrain. The few places I've tried had very rough terrain. Are there any spots in BC I can scout where the terrain is not as rough?

Also, if anyone has any beginner advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.

You should find a old guy offer to be his muscle if hes your mentor...joining a gun club really helps..start volunteering for work bs ect and get them to tell you or take you out..

Grouse hunting is easy once you leave the lower mainland.. when succeful ckean them right away and place in colour. They spoil quickly feathers on guts and all.