PDA

View Full Version : Moose draw 502 D

BradR
06-29-2021, 08:35 PM
I’m from Vancouver Island and This is my first LEH and I was just wondering if any locals in the 502 area know of how many successful moose hunts in 502 last year , if there are lots of predators ( bear, cougars, etc that could effect the hunt. And is there any spots in 502 D that are recommended feel free to PM me thank you

srupp
06-29-2021, 09:23 PM
Hmm good area..lots of hidey holes little indian pressure
Feel free to pm me with phone number..
Please ..when is your draw ? Please say Oct 1..15..!
Srupp
Lots of black bear..some elk mule deer
:lol:

warnniklz
06-29-2021, 09:29 PM
First post is usually a joke.

There is a lot of bears, cougars and what not. But I wouldn't not go...

What time of year is your draw?

This is kind of a dick move, but here's a map with all the spots
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/limited-entry-hunting/zone-maps/region-5/moose_5-02_a_b_c_d.pdf

Steve should be contacting you shortly about a spot. Which reminds me, I have to ask Steve about a spot.

srupp
06-29-2021, 09:52 PM
Hmmm Warren..you missed Dugan lake #1 Dugan lake #2 and Dugan lake # 6..everyone knows #3..#4...#5 are not good..

It's really not X marks the spot..more important when...why...how..especially why.
Your Grampian Ed mentored me in my earliest days salmon fishing in the Atnarko...spent 2 years helping me as a newbie to catch my first chinook.it IS important to pass on what was passed on to us..no one got there alone..ever..
You had the blessing of Grampian Ed..Kerry..
Many many are not that blessed
Many sheep hunters would GLADLY loan out their wife..AND their VISA..for an entire month than dare help someone with sheep..
Region 5 zone 02 D.. is similar to 5 15 B..many locations to hunt however 200 kms to drive from one area to another..
Locations..hmm no..valleys/ areas yes..but when why how definitely.
Every single time I have come here to ask advise plenty of fellow hunters have stepped up to point a direction..always appreciated.
And no I can't remember putting a x on a map..and posting it online .
Hmm hoping I am misreading your post and I am being ridiculed for trying to nudge anyone in the right direction to be successful.
Cheers
Srupp
Should you truly need assistance..know of Dugan lake # 21 that's awesome for sasquatch..lol

BradR
06-29-2021, 10:04 PM
Hmm good area..lots of hidey holes little indian pressure
Feel free to pm me with phone number..
Please ..when is your draw ? Please say Oct 1..15..!
Srupp
Lots of black bear..some elk mule deer
:lol:

Oct 1-14 is my draw

warnniklz
06-29-2021, 10:09 PM
I was saying you'd have a better spot than myself out 5-02D. I know most of the other 5-02 region. 5-02 isn't really a secret to us locals. Plus you gotta get the draw in the first place to hunt it. I know not that long ago it was all good... probably still is. I would give him an X if I had one I was confident with. It's just too big of an area for me to give a good spot I'd be confident with.

I would suggest the educational camp lake, but I'm not sure how overgrown it is that way.

The best thing about giving hunters starting points is they'll tell you how they did and essentially scouting for you and keeping information up to date. Kind of like being a hunting librarian.

As to my spot, I know the spot, just don't know how it's been, thinking of maybe trying something a little cowboy to get my moose. Haven't been out there since me and my brother were chasing g-bears around...

As to BradR... depending on timing... if you need a hand packing meat or want someone to film it or go with... I'm free in October.

srupp
06-29-2021, 10:34 PM
I was saying you'd have a better spot than myself out 5-02D. I know most of the other 5-02 region. 5-02 isn't really a secret to us locals. Plus you gotta get the draw in the first place to hunt it. I know not that long ago it was all good... probably still is. I would give him an X if I had one I was confident with. It's just too big of an area for me to give a good spot I'd be confident with.

I would suggest the educational camp lake, but I'm not sure how overgrown it is that way.

The best thing about giving hunters starting points is they'll tell you how they did and essentially scouting for you and keeping information up to date. Kind of like being a hunting librarian.

As to my spot, I know the spot, just don't know how it's been, thinking of maybe trying something a little cowboy to get my moose. Haven't been out there since me and my brother were chasing g-bears around...

As to BradR... depending on timing... if you need a hand packing meat or want someone to film it or go with... I'm free in October.

Thanks Warren..appreciate the update..and the SHERPA offer ..lol..Lance too ?

Bradr..a EXELLENT draw to be sure.,know the area intimately. .if you want suggestions pm me and I WILL lessen the learning curve.
Congrads..well done...
Cheers
Srupp

Ps you are correct..the Educational center has been weak for 5 years....
Some areas seeing 2 different bulls every other day on camera.
Steven

warnniklz
06-29-2021, 10:37 PM
Possibly Lance as well... well he'd probably just throw it on his shoulder and walk out with it

srupp
06-29-2021, 10:38 PM
Hmm for YOUR specific draw HOW IS MOST IMPORTANT.
SRUPP

BradR
06-30-2021, 12:37 PM
Thank you for the information, and will be going with a small group hunting with me, and I am going to get a backroad map, I shall pm Srupp, i stopped in quickly this afternoon but may be back online later

wallz
06-30-2021, 02:50 PM
I have been in there a bit as well, and of course like everyone and everywhere else, the time your there you see an animal, and have no LEH draw. I sat and filmed the bull we saw, hanging with a cow and calf for 10 min or more, maybe 150 yrds in the open. Like always, easy shot, kill, retrieve, only when you have no tag.

PM your info and I could send you info on where we saw, and some lay down in the area we were in.

I agree, sharing some info is not going to guarantee any animals there, but it may help a fellow put some meat on the table. I was mule deer hunting in that area, and usually put in for a different moose LEH. That said, I have pointed out to fellow hunters that were after moose, where we had seen animals that whole week we were in there. 6 bulls that week, again no tags.

stogs
07-01-2021, 12:00 PM
Pack chains in your truck for sure and be ready for rain or snow. I'd hunt out of the likely side of the area.

dhog
07-05-2021, 10:25 AM
I had the draw last year Oct 15 -30 There is a lot of logging activity in this region the first truck was going by our camp at 1 am and they hauled all day, 5 different companies on different roads and settings they said for the next several years. We managed one bull on opening morning, but the amount of snow we got made it a tough hunt, You could look into elk lake area wasn't as busy there. enjoy