PDA

View Full Version : 316 A Mountain goats

Codyarnold
06-29-2021, 02:28 PM
Hey Guys

Drew a tag for 316 a this year. will be my first time goat hunting. Looking for any tips or tricks from you guys and any pointers from people that have hunted that area before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Steelpulse
07-01-2021, 01:22 AM
1st post asking for leh info is gonna get you not far.
we all need a joke first I believe is the initiation for first time poster long time reader

first tip. Goats are at the actual top of the mountain and not any lower than that. Look uo

cameron0518
07-01-2021, 07:24 AM
Get good boots. Hopefully your prescouting went well. Good luck.

GROOTSKY
07-01-2021, 08:23 AM
I generally focus on steeper north facing slopes, the billies tend to hang there solo, sometimes with a few friends.

ElectricDyck
07-01-2021, 09:05 AM
Which part is A again? If it's the one between Kwoiek and Stein I can give you some 10 year old info that is probably still relevant....but I think thats B..either way goat hunting is an awesome adventure! I bet the success on those LEHs is low, my guess is people don't realize what it takes to hang with the goats, makes finding a partner hard as well.....

twoSevenO
07-01-2021, 11:48 AM
Which part is A again? If it's the one between Kwoiek and Stein I can give you some 10 year old info that is probably still relevant....but I think thats B..either way goat hunting is an awesome adventure! I bet the success on those LEHs is low, my guess is people don't realize what it takes to hang with the goats, makes finding a partner hard as well.....

Yes, south by stein is A.

Did you get one out of there when you were drawn 10 year ago?

twoSevenO
07-01-2021, 11:57 AM
This is a tough zone.
My advice is, dont even waste your time and gas until you have some solid info to go on.
The good news is, you are starting research somewhat early.

Reach out to electryk above and get whatever you can before you commit to going out and scouting.

ElectricDyck
07-01-2021, 12:40 PM
No we didn't get one, we were inexperienced and didn't book enough time off. I had just started hunting, had shitty gear and had no intel. The area requires about 8 hours of pushing bush to get near goats because all the bridges are pulled and roads have grown into just bear tunnels.... because of this I think you need at least 5 days to hike in, hunt and hike out plus you're vehicle travel. Beauty area, not sure on the numbers of goats, we saw a few lone goats on different mountains, never got close enough to really judge them..

In my mind, the best way is from BB drive the nahatlatch way, right for keefers, take the hydro rd to kwioek, drive up kwioek past kwieok lake until either you don't want to scratch your truck anymore or you hit the creek crossing.

Mount up, cross the creek and head down the road pushing alder until you get to the next creek crossing between kha lake and klept lake, there was a log jam at the end of kha lake you can cross, continue pushing bush on the road until you reach the creek drainage from vesuvianite lake and start heading up, watch out for the snake pits, I hate snakes, it was scary..probably harmless but I hate snakes lol....it's a tough grind up with some hands and knees climbing before getting up to the lake. You are know in sight of 316a, the rim of the mountains above you is the border.

There are goats above vesuvanite lake and from there you have access up to the north west to glass Skihist and surrounding peaks. I think this is the easiest way to access the area. We tried North Kwioek it was way harder. We tried the "eagle ridge" way, it was shorter but didn't provide good access. I tryed hiking Stryen river from the stein side, it was easier but really only gave acesss to two bowls and I just saw bears..no goats..

I would go early september before snow so you can peak walk and cross into different valleys without death lol

Hopefully this info provides some light into the access difficulties of this tag so those who get it actually know what they are getting into and don't run out of time like I did when I got the tag.

Also the hiking forums are awesome, search vesuvanite lake..

Codyarnold
07-02-2021, 09:07 PM
No we didn't get one, we were inexperienced and didn't book enough time off. I had just started hunting, had shitty gear and had no intel. The area requires about 8 hours of pushing bush to get near goats because all the bridges are pulled and roads have grown into just bear tunnels.... because of this I think you need at least 5 days to hike in, hunt and hike out plus you're vehicle travel. Beauty area, not sure on the numbers of goats, we saw a few lone goats on different mountains, never got close enough to really judge them..

In my mind, the best way is from BB drive the nahatlatch way, right for keefers, take the hydro rd to kwioek, drive up kwioek past kwieok lake until either you don't want to scratch your truck anymore or you hit the creek crossing.

Mount up, cross the creek and head down the road pushing alder until you get to the next creek crossing between kha lake and klept lake, there was a log jam at the end of kha lake you can cross, continue pushing bush on the road until you reach the creek drainage from vesuvianite lake and start heading up, watch out for the snake pits, I hate snakes, it was scary..probably harmless but I hate snakes lol....it's a tough grind up with some hands and knees climbing before getting up to the lake. You are know in sight of 316a, the rim of the mountains above you is the border.

There are goats above vesuvanite lake and from there you have access up to the north west to glass Skihist and surrounding peaks. I think this is the easiest way to access the area. We tried North Kwioek it was way harder. We tried the "eagle ridge" way, it was shorter but didn't provide good access. I tryed hiking Stryen river from the stein side, it was easier but really only gave acesss to two bowls and I just saw bears..no goats..

I would go early september before snow so you can peak walk and cross into different valleys without death lol

Hopefully this info provides some light into the access difficulties of this tag so those who get it actually know what they are getting into and don't run out of time like I did when I got the tag.

Also the hiking forums are awesome, search vesuvanite lake..

Awesome thanks for the advice heard the road was pretty grown in by now. will have to go check it out

Codyarnold
07-02-2021, 09:10 PM
Heard it was a tougher region after a Drew the tag. Don't know alot of goat hunters so just kind of picked an area

bangbangkhan
07-03-2021, 01:58 PM
3-16A is brutal. Tough hike to get into goat country but goats are there. The alder is pretty grown up by Kwoiek but that’s your best bet…. I went there last year to scout and the road till the damn is pretty good but deteriorates after first lake. Eectrickdyck was actually the one who initially showed me the area and I have been hooked to goats ever since.

Codyarnold
07-03-2021, 08:51 PM
3-16A is brutal. Tough hike to get into goat country but goats are there. The alder is pretty grown up by Kwoiek but that’s your best bet…. I went there last year to scout and the road till the damn is pretty good but deteriorates after first lake. Eectrickdyck was actually the one who initially showed me the area and I have been hooked to goats ever since.

awesome thanks going to head up there in the next couple weeks to see what I'm going to get myself into.