PDA

View Full Version : Early Archery Season Elk Hunt Planned

Bubbacanuck
06-28-2021, 12:55 PM
I'm approaching my 4th hunting season and with no LEH draws this year, I figure I will try for an Elk during the any Elk bow season Sept 1-9. My first hunt ever was an elk hunt that I learned a ton on. Had bugles and came close but it was a 6pt only season which foiled our ability to close the deal. I've hunted a region the last few years that hold Elk and have some ideas of where some bulls live. I went to this zone in April turkey hunting and while we didn't drop a tom I did find some really good Elk sign in a couple newer spots. I plan to get into the area right at the start of the season and get some cams up immediately in the spots I know where are a couple bulls. I plan to mostly cow call and still hunt. There is a good spot with an old tree stand built that also had quite a bit of sign around it. I plan to get up really early in the mornings (well before sunrise) and try to get into these spots an hour before sun up. Should I be bugling to locate? I see a lot of conflicting information, some say bugle others say cow call only. Is it best to hunt from a tree stand, ground blind or still hunt that early in the season? I am sure the brush will still be thick, so getting elevated in a tree sounds like a good option. I know a lot have said they will come in silent and to always be ready, which makes sense. If anyone cares to share any tips & tricks regarding early Elk archery season I would appreciate any information. Thanks!

Mid-Sept I will do a write up with photos and tell the story. Hopefully I will get my first archery harvest :)

HighCountryBC
06-28-2021, 01:15 PM
I would plan on getting my cameras out well before the season. You're not going to gather much intel if you hang them once you start hunting. Bulls usually start leaving their summer haunts at the end of August and beginning of September as the pecking order begins to get sorted out.

Personally, not a fan of tree stands for elk unless you've got them pretty well patterned and that won't be the case if you roll in there September 1 and try hanging a stand a some cameras. You want to know where they're going for water, bedding etc. in advance of your hunt. I like running and gunning myself but I do have one spot I hunt them from a tree stand during archery season. This is an area I have scouted and cammed for years and know their habits. Once the middle of September rolls around they pretty much vacate the area.

Bubbacanuck
06-28-2021, 05:14 PM
I would plan on getting my cameras out well before the season. You're not going to gather much intel if you hang them once you start hunting. Bulls usually start leaving their summer haunts at the end of August and beginning of September as the pecking order begins to get sorted out.

Personally, not a fan of tree stands for elk unless you've got them pretty well patterned and that won't be the case if you roll in there September 1 and try hanging a stand a some cameras. You want to know where they're going for water, bedding etc. in advance of your hunt. I like running and gunning myself but I do have one spot I hunt them from a tree stand during archery season. This is an area I have scouted and cammed for years and know their habits. Once the middle of September rolls around they pretty much vacate the area.

Amazing and sound advice for sure. I will be at a half way point in August, I will make a day trip out there and get some cams up. I have gone back to these same spots the last couple years and I believe the same bulls are in the same spots. the one is a nice big 5x5 that I don't think moves too far from his area. Do they all migrate far or do they all vacate the area? His spot is down in a very difficult gully to access that has water year round which keeps it pretty cool during the some months. In mid-April it was covered in snow and had tracks in/out of a very specific spot that no person would think/want to go into....my gut tells me this bull stays close to this area year round. Appreciate the help though and I will definitely aim to get my cams up in the next month or so. Thanks