PDA

View Full Version : LEH in 5-15B

KODIAK BEAR
06-28-2021, 11:54 AM
Hi,
My partner and I have draw an LEH for area 5-15B and despite researching the area on maps and Google Earth, we are having some difficulty in determining how to gain access. We are trying to cross the Matthew River with a trailer and am not sure if that is feasible or if there is some other route which will allow to enter the area.
Looking for any local knowledge or advice which would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike.

srupp
06-28-2021, 12:24 PM
Hmm guided there for many many years..still decent moose..
Send me a PM with a phone number..and time that works best
Good old Ghost lake area..
Congrads on draw
Hmm over 40 years experience in there moose..black bears grizzly bears hope to have some ideas for you
Srupp

TimberPig
06-28-2021, 12:26 PM
There’s only a tiny sliver of that zone that is road accessible, otherwise boat or fly in only. That’s why the odds are good in drawing a tag-limited access. Expect company on the limited portions that you can drive to.

srupp
06-28-2021, 12:35 PM
There’s only a tiny sliver of that zone that is road accessible, otherwise boat or fly in only. That’s why the odds are good in drawing a tag-limited access. Expect company on the limited portions that you can drive to.

Hmmm SPOT on local advice above.still some options for moose hunt by drive in method
Srupp

TimberPig
06-28-2021, 12:50 PM
Hmmm SPOT on local advice above.still some options for moose hunt by drive in method
Srupp
I think we do this thread almost every year about this time when someone pulls the draw and then asks about access into the zone.
Agreed the available road accessible ground in this zone may be limited, and may be a bit busy, but still worth trying as there are still good opportunities there (although likely not every group will fill their tags there as there’s only so many bulls to be had).

Drillbit
06-28-2021, 02:33 PM
Last year there's was 3 camps set up at the "Corrals" on quesnel lake, another camp at the end of the north arm.

I knew 2 boat loads of guys hunting that weren't in those camps, haha. It seems like a pretty popular draw, it get's busy up there

srupp
06-28-2021, 04:05 PM
Last year there's was 3 camps set up at the "Corrals" on quesnel lake, another camp at the end of the north arm.

I knew 2 boat loads of guys hunting that weren't in those camps, haha. It seems like a pretty popular draw, it get's busy up there

Hmm yes EVERY DRAW last year high participation..Tat.had over 89 % participation in zone 28...
Quesnel highlands has very specific locations for grizz..goat..moose..deer..black bear are like rats..everywhere..some locations are 20 kms from the next but require 150 kms around..or a boat..very specialized area..Drillb it is correct it was a zoo there last year..but know ofor a couple bulls harvested by driving in..limited area limited bulls lots of effort..and luck..
But you have to try..the hardest part is drawing a tag.
Cheers
Srupp

.330 Dakota
06-28-2021, 06:20 PM
Camp near or at Ghost Lake, use a boat to cross the North Arm, or go up the river,,no vehicle access to that area, Ideally a pontoon boat with a ramp for ATV's, lots of old deactivated logging roads in there, but the loggers barged their equipment in and the logs out.

tigrr
06-29-2021, 07:47 AM
What time period?

warnniklz
06-29-2021, 09:22 AM
September, October or November?

KODIAK BEAR
06-29-2021, 04:01 PM
15th to the 30th October.

warnniklz
06-29-2021, 05:06 PM
Buddy's were in there last year (I was supposed to be too, but chose goat hunting over moose hunting), except they went in September. Boated up the north arm and it was smoking hot. Turned into a camping trip more than a hunting trip... But they're fair-weather hunters anyways.

Should be down into the penfold/mitchel wetland by then

TimberPig
06-29-2021, 05:40 PM
Buddy's were in there last year (I was supposed to be too, but chose goat hunting over moose hunting), except they went in September. Boated up the north arm and it was smoking hot. Turned into a camping trip more than a hunting trip... But they're fair-weather hunters anyways.

Should be down into the penfold/mitchel wetland by then

Then we got hammered with early snow and most of the roads in the Cariboo mountains were impassable to a pickup by mid October. Depends what you get in a given year, but the later draws in those areas put the risk of winter trappping you as a greater threat.

warnniklz
06-29-2021, 05:55 PM
Then we got hammered with early snow and most of the roads in the Cariboo mountains were impassable to a pickup by mid October. Depends what you get in a given year, but the later draws in those areas put the risk of winter trappping you as a greater threat.

There is thaaaat... chance you could even run a boat in October.

Not bad for us locals, can play it weekend by weekend (or whatever you get for time off). Sucks for the long haul guys that have to pick a time and hope for the best.

06-29-2021, 08:45 PM
I had that draw once.... ( never fill out leh drunk ) i was aiming at 502b.. somehow wrote 515b in..
Anyway 1st 2 weeks of october my buddy and myself both won a tag.. we shot both bulls just past ghost lake. There was a cut block there we called them up from the creek.... had the place to ourselves.. but .. it was +25 in the day and -25 at night..
Was nuts... but iirc there was only 5-10km of huntable road.. we are going back close to 10 years ago...maybe more...

We managed, brought my dad and his buddy with us for help. But it was a slog... the river was their travel route.. there was a huge trail on it..

srupp
06-29-2021, 09:20 PM
14 kms.
Srupp