PDA

View Full Version : Too hot for bear?

rzycio
06-26-2021, 03:02 PM
Do you guys think its too hot to go after them today? Came into an area East of Kamloops for the last couple hours of daylight last night. No sign, no movement. I was here 3 weeks ago and saw 3 bears but could not connect. Do you think its worth sticking around or would they be more nocturnal with the heat. Also if I manage to get one tonight will I have a problem with spoilage. 3.5 hour drive to get home afterwards.

Rob

srupp
06-26-2021, 03:19 PM
Hmm too hot in williams lake...Bears are nocturnal or way high probably both..quesnel lk horsefly lk mountains..perhaps..tatla lk mountains west
Hottest day I have experienced in wl...next 3 days significantly hotter.
Meat would be very difficult to salvage without ice chests.
Vinegar 70 percent 30 percent water..lowers ph balance and will help.
Srupp

180grainer
06-26-2021, 03:21 PM
Do you guys think its too hot to go after them today? Came into an area East of Kamloops for the last couple hours of daylight last night. No sign, no movement. I was here 3 weeks ago and saw 3 bears but could not connect. Do you think its worth sticking around or would they be more nocturnal with the heat. Also if I manage to get one tonight will I have a problem with spoilage. 3.5 hour drive to get home afterwards.

Rob
First thing in the morning might be ok. Apparently the low tonight is going to be 26. So it's not really cooling off.

todbartell
06-26-2021, 03:26 PM
drink beer in the shade

tinhorse
06-26-2021, 03:34 PM
This year on the island I shot one and had it deboned and in a cooler within an hour and a half. Home anotger 1.5 hours later and in big ziplocks into the freezer. Just make quick work of it and you'll be fine

RyoTHC
06-26-2021, 03:39 PM
I watched a big boar happily grazing on a sunny hillside at 230 in the afternoon in 34C sunshine last week.

anywhere, anytime !

Weatherby Fan
06-26-2021, 03:56 PM
drink beer in the shade

Cold Beer, Deer and Boobs.....is the ticket

http://i.imgur.com/x8fz5kg.jpg (https://imgur.com/x8fz5kg)

Bugle M In
06-26-2021, 04:52 PM
Dont know about the bear, but too frickin hot for me!:wink:

tigrr
06-26-2021, 05:25 PM
Yup too hot. The meat would sour around the bones in this heat. Unless you shot it on a mountain top where it was 5 - 10 degrees.

180grainer
06-26-2021, 05:28 PM
Dont know about the bear, but too frickin hot for me!:wink:
That should be the title of the thread. Is it too hot for bear hunters?

Iron Glove
06-26-2021, 06:34 PM
Son was out yesterday, had an easy shot at one late morning, suffered a "malfunction" with his rifle.
He headed to our cabin and called and I walked him thru some stuff to get it all working and he was back at it last night / this morning.
Hasn't called to say if he was lucky but did say yesterday he saw a number of bears.
He was more concerned about the amount of bugs than the heat.

Stillhunting
06-26-2021, 06:45 PM
Saw a nice boar on the way to work early this morning in region 3. He was near a shady draw with a cool stream in it.

Rayne
06-26-2021, 06:50 PM
I was at a lower mainland lake today and could clear as day see two bears on the opposing mountain side just hanging out in the open from 8-12

REMINGTON JIM
06-26-2021, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=Iron Glove;2263498]Son was out yesterday, had an easy shot at one late morning, suffered a "malfunction" with his rifle.

Hmm ! What KIND of malfunction ? what Brand model Rifle ? Just Wonderin ? :smile: RJ

srupp
06-26-2021, 08:52 PM
It's brutal here !
36 a hour ago..
Sweltering steven

Retiredguy
06-26-2021, 09:00 PM
Well I have seen about 40 bears this spring, but have not been out as many times as I hoped due to the "honey do list" I have hanging over my head. I am packing it in for the spring as the last couple of bears I saw had very obvious rubs. One really big boar had a rub the size of a basketball on his right hip. :)

Oh well, I prefer eating fall bear anyways and then they have lots of fat to render. I have shot a lot of bears over the years and I enjoy hunting and watching them, but these days I tend to let most of them walk as look for the "right" bear.

The weather is also a pain now with this intense heat wave. I don't enjoy it and the retrieval and processing of a bear needs to be done at warp speed in a cloud of insects. I'll just wait for fall. ;)

wildcatter
06-26-2021, 09:04 PM
It's brutal here !
36 a hour ago..
Sweltering steven

The weathernetwork forecast for Tuesday says 43C.
That will be a good time for beer out on my covered porch, hopefully with a little breeze going across.

Iron Glove
06-26-2021, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=Iron Glove;2263498]Son was out yesterday, had an easy shot at one late morning, suffered a "malfunction" with his rifle.

Hmm ! What KIND of malfunction ? what Brand model Rifle ? Just Wonderin ? :smile: RJ

Savage Axis, the action screws had loosened.
We just got home a few minutes ago, telephone message from him, he got his bear. :lol:

604Stalker
06-26-2021, 11:22 PM
Hit the bottoms water runs gullys spot from above look for the burnt stump that moves they will even still sun on south facing hillsides in the eairly hunt them like deer when its this hot wait after the shot for real .. But you got 2 hours to start getting the meat cool if you need coolers and are in the mainland pm me keep it xold and go get one in the pines they are either up really high or in the lowlands where the waters at srupp has the best hunting info Ive gotten from anyone listen to his posts Ide venture to the coq myself and check the runs where its high to low good elevation busy but great area to look for bear

happyhunter
06-27-2021, 09:43 AM
I’m always surprised how often I see bears out on a grassy road on a hot day. But this heat is a little bit too much. I hunted a prime spot the last 2 weeks with no bears out. I have a great view of a beauty mountain across from my house and they disappeared since about 2 weeks ago. Before that I was seeing a bear or 2 every day come feed. Last night I saw a sow with 3 cubs just after the sun set.

I would say yes it’s too hot for bears, but not impossible.

walks with deer
06-27-2021, 10:16 AM
Kill a bear and put in a freezer drive home with bearvin freezer.

walks with deer
06-27-2021, 10:22 AM
Or plan b kill bear drive to butcher shop come back in two weeks go fishing and bring bear home.

IronNoggin
06-27-2021, 12:04 PM
It's brutal here !
36 a hour ago..
Sweltering steven

Worse on The Rock Buddy!
42 and change under our back covered deck at early evening yesterday.
Going higher today they say, and even higher the next.
Basement stays cool, so I am content to hide out in the dungeon sipping rum & ginger.

Shoot a bear in this heat, the bugger would be cooked right through before you could get the bloody hide off!
No Thanks!

Nog

srupp
06-27-2021, 01:44 PM
Worse on The Rock Buddy!
42 and change under our back covered deck at early evening yesterday.
Going higher today they say, and even higher the next.
Basement stays cool, so I am content to hide out in the dungeon sipping rum & ginger.

Shoot a bear in this heat, the bugger would be cooked right through before you could get the bloody hide off!
No Thanks!

Nog

Hmm brutal there too. .
I went outside..lasted 10 minutes. .headache..headed inside..
Basement..bedroom living room all 23 degrees..damn air-conditioning. .lolol
That or spend the day in the mall..
Be safe everyone..
Srupp

wos
06-27-2021, 04:28 PM
I just saw one on the way up the mountain to my cabin this afternoon. they are obviously still active but i can't imagine dealing with meat in this heat the Flys would drive me insane.

boxhitch
06-28-2021, 09:09 AM
It is almost........not quite but close...........to being too hot for beer
Neoprene can coolers are a must, no ice in beer that is just wrong
Its tough to maintain the right buzz all day when starting to hydrate in the A.M. but it can be done

was out at 1400 m. yesterday, saw bears out at 7 a.m. @ 20*, then at 10 @ 25*, then after noon @ 33*

Bugle M In
06-28-2021, 06:41 PM
I almost made the news today!
I almost died due to drowning in my own sweat :p