View Full Version : How many batteries do you take for trolling motor?

Mulehahn
06-26-2021, 02:18 PM
I recently picked up an older 10' spratley for smaller lakes, electric only, and honestly, sometimes the 14' with the 9.9 is just too much for if fishing alone.

My question is, when out fishing do you take 1 or 2 batteries in the boat?

Everytime I have rented a boat they always include 2 batteries. But when I Iook at the weight, 2 batteries at 68lbs, a 42lb motor, 2 10lb anchors, oars, etc, half the max weight is pretty much gone before I even step into it. That is fine because I usually fish alone and have a bigger boat if want company, but I just don't like running things at the max. Dropping a 70lbs battery frees up a lot of space.

4 point
06-26-2021, 03:35 PM
I use an electric motor all the time. Just use the 9.9 to get to where I want to fish or to get off the lake if a storm comes up. My battery fully charged gives me a good 6+ hours minimum. Never have had any need for two batteries or would I want that in a 12’ boat with 2 fishers.

mastercaster
06-26-2021, 08:02 PM
I have two Deep Cycle batteries but my most recent one is a Group 31 (a real heavy pig that's a biotch to carry). lol

It's good for up to three days. I've got a Group 27 for back up but I would never take both of them in my 9 or 11' Flyfishers at the same time. I use my electric 55 lb. thrust just to get from all my Point As on the lake and back to shore because all I do is anchor while fishing but I almost always go full tilt while traveling from spot to spot.

Bigdoggdon
06-26-2021, 08:19 PM
Used to have a huge deep cycle RV battery, but it was just so damn heavy. I take out 2 normal car batteries now, run the first one about 4 hours and switch. If I completely run down the second battery I know I left enough juice in the first one to get back to the launch.

Trolling has been weird this year though. In three different lakes was able to get more strikes by driving faster ( speed 3). This uses up the batteries faster too

REMINGTON JIM
06-26-2021, 09:03 PM
I use my 6 HP Yammy 4 stroke to get me in and off the lake mostly and sometime to move position on a biggger lake - but fish slow with the 30 lb thrust Minnkota E Motor - G27 gets me thru nearly days ! RJ

Edzzed
06-27-2021, 12:45 PM
I had a 12 ft with 9.9 2 stroke. Used that to get where I wanted to go then used the electric. 9 times out of 10 I got so fed up with wind pushing me around that I ended up selling the Minn Kota. Maybe what I should have done is built a small keel to keep the wind from pushing the boat around. Too late for that though. Sold it all and bought a 17 ft sailboat. I have a 3 hp on it so I get where I want under sail or power then troll with the 3 hp. I also have some buckets with holes that act like parachutes if need be.