PDA

View Full Version : Moose Tags Filled

Phil
11-05-2007, 10:11 PM
On Halloween night Direct Hit (Dave) and I left Langley to embark on our LEH moose hunt. We headed for region five in hope of getting an early start on opening morning. All was going as planned until the cut we were hunting was quickly set ablaze by a logging company to burn down the slash piles. This sent us packing in a hurry to great distances to avoid the smoke and soot and in search of new hunting grounds. Fortunately, our pre-season scouting had left us with a number of other options.

Dave was quickly on tracks in the snow and pursued them until exhaustion. I wasn't so lucky but persisted with the search until dark. Our journeys that day took us miles away from camp and provided the same outcome as all of the other hunters we met up with. NOTHING.

That evening we re-strategized and decided that to cover more ground we would go in opposite directions to check remote areas. Luck was on my side that morning but it would take a few hours to show itself. My plan "A" was a flop, so without wasting any time I was off to plan "B". I never made it to plan B as my attention was diverted by a relatively flat green cut that looked promising.

As I parked my ATV I noticed another hunter trying to stay out of my sight in the trees. He was busted and came out to chat. He told me that he had seen moose tracks from last night in the trees but had not pursued them as he was after a doe.

Reluctantly I had a look for myself and was quickly overtaken with the remoteness of this little hideaway. I carried on along a fence that stopped the hunter I ran into. The cut appeared flat from the edge but held many small draws that rolled into one another. I followed a trail for almost an hour over a creek and up and down a few short hills.

As I stepped around a corner looking above me for moose checking their back trail........... there he was 70 yards away. He was hard to miss as his brown coat stood out so obviously from his surroundings.

I popped open the scope, pulled the hammer on my 325 BLR and laid him out in his bed. Another shot to keep him down and a third in the neck to finish him off. The 200 grain polycarbonite tip winchesters broke his sholder and punctured his chest.

Upon inspection I counted him to be a 6x7 measuring 33 inches. Not a monster rack by any means but a memorable hunt none the less.

I attempted to retrieve Dave for help but could only find his tracks trailing deep into the bush. The snow was beginning to fly again so I went to take care of the bull on my own. Dave found a note I had left in a frozen puddle beside his tracks that said "Moose down". We were fortunate to meet at camp as I was preparing to leave on my own to retrieve the moose.

The next nine hours were dedicated to hauling the bull out of the bush but not without celebrating with an appropriately named Moose Head beer. We toasted to the moose and ate a late lunch.

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t169/mbspr/?action=view&current=IMG_0576.jpg

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t169/mbspr/?action=view&current=IMG_0566.jpg

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t169/mbspr/?action=view&current=IMG_0590.jpg

We decided to look for a different route out as crossing the creek didn't look safe with the weight of the bull behind Dave's quad. During the search we were astonished by the untouched terrain. It looked like the land before time.

Around a bend we found three moose, a cow, calf and a 4x4 bull. Despite the setting sun, being somewhat lost and having a full load, the decision was made to drop him. We had now filled both of our tags. Dave and I immediately gutted him and went on our way back to camp with the first moose.

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t169/mbspr/?action=view&current=IMG_0599.jpg

We cut through a ranch and came out onto the Hwy. It was now dark and we had no choice to drag our first kill on the trailer 25km over paved roads to get back to camp. After a quick dinner we were back on the road with the truck and equipment to quarter and pack out the second moose.

By 1:30am that morning our heads were on the pillow only to wake up early and finish what we had started the night before. All of the meat still had to hung and skinned. It was the first moose either of had to deal with and it hit home how much work was involved. We concluded that moose camp requires more than two individuals to get the job done without causing over exertion. This hunt was the type that separated the men from the boys.

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t169/mbspr/?action=view&current=IMG_0603.jpg

Dave and I feel that the success of this hunt was due to being well prepared in several ways. Pre season scouting was number one on the list. A close second was networking with other hunters and people in the area for animal sightings. Third was the willingness to go further into the bush than many other hunters could be bothered. Fourth was having the necessary equipment ready and tested well in advance. Last of all we were physically and mentally prepared for the grunt work.

This hunt ranks amongst the most exciting and memorable ever.

porcupine
11-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Congratulations on getting two nice animals.
________
how to roll joints (http://howtorollajoint.net/)

Paulyman
11-05-2007, 10:17 PM
I find it very disrespectful that you would do the things you have done in these photos, i'm sure i'm not the only one who feels this way!

let's not turn hunting into a mockery of widlife.

Phil
11-05-2007, 10:23 PM
There was no disrespect intended! Sorry to offend you!

BCJunior
11-05-2007, 10:25 PM
I find it very disrespectful that you would do the things you have done in these photos, i'm sure i'm not the only one who feels this way!

I see what you mean, the only picture that I find if anything offending is the beer in the moose nose, yet I think the title of the picture "snorting beer" was just misplaced. The beer is moosehead which represents the actual "moose head" but hey thats just me I do not find those pictures bad at all. Gratz on the 2 bulls and hope ya had fun! :D

BCBear
11-05-2007, 10:28 PM
I don't know what to say in addition to all of this other than the fact that Phil has a talent for knowing where to go because he has pounded that piece of the earth for countless hours. We have been extraordinarily fortunate in our hunting this year and seem to have been blessed with our own parking stall at the butchers. Largely due to the items Phil mentioned near the end of the post and the fact that lady luck has smiled broadly this year...I hope it's not a passing fad! Next on deck is new HBC member bigredgasman. In regards to the moose experience. WOW what a lot of work 20hr days! Glad I bought extra freezer #4 last week... It's gonna be meat for Christmas presents this year. BTW Thanks to 270WIN who sold me the moose trailer (I modified it a bit Joe can you tell?)

BCBear
11-05-2007, 10:34 PM

You don't know Phil or me at all and I resent your self righteous comments.

Paulyman
11-05-2007, 10:58 PM
You don't know Phil or me at all and I resent your self righteous comments.
I'm sure you are both great guys, the only point i'm trying to make is if you were trying to get anti hunters to see your side of the story or you were trying to convince people that hunting is not just for rednecks and hicks would those two photos be the first you would show ?

all i'm saying is we should all act as ambassadors to hunting to show people that we truly do respect the game we pursue,

Congrats on two great moose! good eating for a long time to come.

Will
11-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Congrats on a couple Great Bulls ! :cool:

I too remember my 1st Moose experience......1 Bull(52") 1 cow and a calf...3 guys...lottsa skinning ;)

Well done ! 8)

horshur
11-05-2007, 11:39 PM
I'm sure you are both great guys, the only point i'm trying to make is if you were trying to get anti hunters to see your side of the story or you were trying to convince people that hunting is not just for rednecks and hicks would those two photos be the first you would show ?

all i'm saying is we should all act as ambassadors to hunting to show people that we truly do respect the game we pursue,

Congrats on two great moose! good eating for a long time to come.

Seak for yourself. Many of us are rednecks and hics and damn proud of it---save your PC BS for the city from whence it comes.It is a paved six lane highway to hell

Congrats to you guys on two fine moose.

Gateholio
11-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Paulyman, If you find something offensive, use the REPORT A POST feature and the mods will decide if it is or not.

I personally don't get offended easily.:wink:

Paulyman
11-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Gotcha, thanks Gatehouse!

irishbandit1
11-06-2007, 12:48 AM
Great story and great moose,sounds like you guys had a good trip.I'll take tenderloin for Christmas.Congrats on your success,'Bandit.

Mr. Dean
11-06-2007, 12:56 AM
SOOOOO, the rumours were true!

Fine job done, gents.

jessbennett
11-06-2007, 01:02 AM
ya....... totally offensive.....:roll:.....

congrads on a successful hunt.... well done8)

hunter1947
11-06-2007, 01:06 AM
I myself the photo does not bother me at all ,nice going there Phil ,i love your trailer ,good thinking on the way you set it up http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif. You have one nice looking moose there as well ,congrats on a fine animal http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif. :wink:.

Paulyman
11-06-2007, 01:10 AM
offensive Photos have been removed.

Steeleco
11-06-2007, 03:06 AM
Well gents, I just have one question, who's teaching the kids while you guys are out filling the freezer?? LOL

Well done, now leave some for the rest of us K!!!

Thunderstix
11-06-2007, 06:33 AM
The one thing that I find offensive is that it is not me in the pictures!!!!!!!!!!! Great jobs you guys.

Poguebilt
11-06-2007, 07:20 AM
Well gents, I just have one question, who's teaching the kids while you guys are out filling the freezer?? LOL

Well done, now leave some for the rest of us K!!!

He wasn't around much when I was there! back in 96'

Good job Phil!

Nice moose!

Sharkey
11-06-2007, 07:27 AM
What a fantastic story! You must be over the moon! Congrats to both of you on a job well done. You did your homework and it certainly paid off.
~D

lightmag
11-06-2007, 08:55 AM
great story, congrats on your success!! pics are great too, anyone offened by them should maybe log into "webkins" with their stuffed animal and hang out there!! lol...

308BAR
11-06-2007, 09:08 AM
That's a good write up congrats to you guys on the Success!

MIL720
11-06-2007, 09:14 AM
nice bulls...congrats
GET A FREAKIN LIFE paulyman

Phil
11-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. It is great to share in the excitement.

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Congrats on a great trip,enjoy the meat and good luck for the rest of the season.:razz:

moose hunter
11-06-2007, 07:13 PM
i dont want to be disrespectful but i laughed at the beer in nose.

moosinaround
11-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Freakin awesome story! Two buddies out in the woods baggin two awesome bulls. Beers are necessary even for the moose! Congrats. Moosin

buckguy
11-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Job well done, great animals! Definately bring back up next year, too much work for two....like you said seperates men from boys!Bet ya the beer went down well! I hope I am fortunate to have that work ahead of me next year.:-D

Hagen
11-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Congrats on the moose......who is teachin the kids these days? lol! hauled a cow out with just pogue this fall, hell, that was work enough!

gameslayer
11-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Looks like my kind of fun, Congrats on your trip. Getting a good draw sure makes for fun trips.

Phil
11-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Congrats on the moose......who is teachin the kids these days? lol! hauled a cow out with just pogue this fall, hell, that was work enough!

Thanks! A guy has to take a mental health day to fill the freezer once in a while. Glad to hear you and Jason are doing well.

Dominic Cicuto
11-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Nice Moose!! Phill have u seen my thread yet.

Freshtracks
11-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Nicely done gents .... DH Joey was wondering how you guys made out ... allot better than us ... but then that's hunting.

Phil did you note if the bulls were travelling in the thick stuff and staying away from cutblocks and the roads? Just trying to understand the Nov. hunt.

Phil
11-16-2007, 12:28 AM
The two bulls we shot were well off the beaten path but not realy in the thick stuff. Both were amongst the open trees at the edge of old cut blocks.

hunter1947
11-16-2007, 05:14 AM
Nicely done gents .... DH Joey was wondering how you guys made out ... allot better than us ... but then that's hunting.

Phil did you note if the bulls were travelling in the thick stuff and staying away from cutblocks and the roads? Just trying to understand the Nov. hunt.
Very interesting question ,over the past 4 years i have been on 3 moose hunts and it seams that most of the bulls we seen or got have been right buy the timber edge.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif

ratherbefishin
11-16-2007, 06:50 AM
first of all-congratulations for drawing LEH tags....we didn't [in spite of trying for a group hunt in a low odds area,and being 3 years since we last drew]so I didn't bother even making the long trek north.Its diferent for the local guys who can get out every weekend and look for an immature-but when you only have one shot at it,you want to at least have a chance of seeing a legal bull.I'd be happy even to settle for one bull for a 3 man group hunt-if it was assured to get a tag.

Tikka7mm
11-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Looks like a great hunt. Congrats to both of you.