PDA

View Full Version : Atv accident lessons

srupp
06-23-2021, 02:48 PM
Hmm so reasonably healed up from my ATV accident several months ago what lesson did I learn ?
First accidents happen frightenlyrics fast.in my case no chance to prepare.
Had this happened in the bush while hunting..I realize if my emergency comunication device mine is
Spot..IF it were in my back pack or rear day box on my quad I never could have accessed the device !
Laying under a 600 pound vehicle with broken ribs,liver hurt,and acutely short of breath..
This happened in my drive way with Susan there.
If you can't reach theses Emergency devices they won't help.
Mine is now on a lanyard around my neck inside vest or jacket or shirt..that If can functioning can access help with your communication device as intended.
Thought I would try and help others with my failure.
Cheers
Srupp

adriaticum
06-23-2021, 02:52 PM
Glad you had a successful recovery.
Yah atvs are best driven "conservatively".

SuperYeti
06-23-2021, 02:53 PM
Hmm so reasonably healed up from my ATV accident several months ago what lesson did I learn ?
Had this happened in the bush while hunting..I realize if my emergency comunication device mine is
Spot..IF it were in my back pack or rear day box on my quad I never could have accessed the device !
Laying under a 600 pound vehicle with broken ribs,liver hurt,and acutely short of breath..
Mine is now on a lanyard around my neck inside vest or jacket or shirt..that If can functioning can access help with your communication device as intended.
Cheers
Srupp

Great advice, I was thinking about this the other day.

moosinaround
06-23-2021, 03:02 PM
Another lesson, I learned this past winter. I am not a young spring chicken anymore, and to not show off! Hi marked with my quad on tracks, and turned out of it, and the bike pulled my rotator cuff out of my shoulder! Nice injury, ultrasounds and physio coming up!! It is making for some sleepless nights, let me tell ya!! Moosin

TARCHER
06-23-2021, 03:03 PM
Every fall I would medivac at least one quad accident to vancouver. Usually to s
the spinal cord unit at VGH. The vast majority were novice riders who going up steep incline rolled the machine back over themselves, not nice. Glad your ok Steve and good to hear your on the mend

Fella
06-23-2021, 03:06 PM
Family friend of ours had his throttle jam and he went up an embankment and it landed on top of him. Paralyzed from the waist down now.

markt308
06-23-2021, 03:27 PM
Solid advice. good reminder

Brew
06-23-2021, 03:34 PM
Glad you healed up Steve. Very good tips regarding the SPOT device.

srupp
06-23-2021, 03:51 PM
Hmm familiarity breeds contempt or at least not paying attention.the skin still flaking off the healed leg wounds will be a reminder for some time yet.
We learn from our failures. .not our successes.
Not adverse to teaching from my failures
Steven Rupp

ACE
06-23-2021, 05:20 PM
Hmm familiarity breeds contempt or at least not paying attention . . .
So true . . .

Was distracted . . . had only put one ramp down, backed off my Fargo. You can guess the rest. The bottom dog on the powersaw missed my eye socket and went in as far as my ear, stick pierced my cheek.
Quad on top, thought my back was broken, was able to get out and stand up after a while. Another hour until I was strong enough to roll the quad over on its wheels.
Went up both ramps and went drove back to PG. This happened at Freya Lake. Was alone.
Broken cheekbone, fractured eye socket, teeth didn't mesh, broken wrist. The accident straightened out my broken nose. Can breath real good now.

As Steven says . . . "teaching from my failures." Good advice Steven!

Retiredguy
06-23-2021, 05:26 PM
I have seen guys roll their ATV's by going too fast in country they are not familiar with, but most of the accidents that resulted in injury have been guys loading their ATV's into the back of their pickups with those fold out ramps. Sadly, I have also known two people that killed themselves on an ATV. One went through a barbed wire fence at night going down a trail he had not been on before. He was going at a fair clip and I will just leave it to your imagination as to the injuries but they were not pretty.

The second guy was a farmer we knew that lost it on a corner and rolled down into a ravine with the ATV rolling over him. It was a trail he had ridden down hundreds of times and that last time must have been distracted for some reason.

As Mr Rupp said, familiarity breeds contempt. We all are guilty of this and hopefully we get a wakeup call before something serious happens.

srupp
06-23-2021, 06:12 PM
Wow ! Was not expecting some of the incidents encountered by my friends on HBC..THANK YOU for sharing your personal experiences.glad everyone survived...first 25 years of my career it was predominantly horse incidents.
Last 13 years by far was ATV incidents.
I was never as highly trained as Tarcher..mine was usually going into the wilderness by chopper..MR TARCHER did that and transport to vancouver...thank you my friend.
Thinking back on notes heading back to camp tired wet cold..speed creeped.up..consequences could have been permanent or fatal.
PLEASE be safe AND think about how to access Spot or Inreach or sat phone and keep it close..you just may not be able to access it in places outside your reach.
Sermon is over..living begins..
Steven

Ron.C
06-23-2021, 06:20 PM
A couple years back during a spring bear hunt, my best friend had one of the cables on his tailgate part while he was unloading his QUAD. Luckily the tailgate was caught by the bumper but he nearly came off. Was one of those events that made us both stand back and take a hard look at the simple things we take for granted that can quickly change our lives. We were lucky.

Glad you are on the mend Steven!

Be safe out there folks.

Buck
06-23-2021, 07:56 PM
last fall my hunting partner was loading his quad into the truck his rear right wheel came of the ramp.He was near the top of the ramp very lucky it never fell off and landed on top of him I booked it over there real quick and pushed up the rear rack to get the quad level and we were able to pull it up into the truck box . Had it in 4 wheel drive probably saved the bike from falling backward lesson learned

REMINGTON JIM
06-23-2021, 09:12 PM
So true . . .

Was distracted . . . had only put one ramp down, backed off my Fargo. You can guess the rest. The bottom dog on the powersaw missed my eye socket and went in as far as my ear, stick pierced my cheek.
Quad on top, thought my back was broken, was able to get out and stand up after a while. Another hour until I was strong enough to roll the quad over on its wheels.
Went up both ramps and went drove back to PG. This happened at Freya Lake. Was alone.
Broken cheekbone, fractured eye socket, teeth didn't mesh, broken wrist. The accident straightened out my broken nose. Can breath real good now.

Holy Crap Bud - that was a Nasty one ! :shock: Have to Keep a Good eye on you out on our Moose Hunt ! :razz: RJ

REMINGTON JIM
06-23-2021, 09:16 PM
A Trapper fellow a few years back in Alberta spent 4 days pinned under his Quad after a mistake and rolled it on top of himself ! A Hiker found him and saved him from Certain death ! The SOS might have got him HELP a lot sooner ! RJ

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/trapped-paramedic-survives-4-days-on-dirt-rotting-beaver-1.697793

srupp
06-23-2021, 10:24 PM
Hmm like my fellow Paramedic..could not believe the intense pain of # ribs...could not move my Honda 500 off me..Susan gave the quad some gas and it drovery off me and we headed 3 blocks to our Hospital.
In many of the areas I frequent it would never have resulted in anyone finding me.in time or ever.lived
Silly to have the Global star or inreach and having it out of reach.
That is now solved and the sole reason for my post.
THanks RJ
SRUPP

swampthing
06-24-2021, 07:11 AM
Good to hear you are healing. I used to race ATVs and did quite well. I figured while using my atv to access hunting areas I didnt need a helmet. One day a 5mph slow speed rollover found me trapped under my rig, the handlebars pushing my lip through my teeth. I wear a helmet without exception now!

06-24-2021, 07:31 AM
You know. its kinda a shame it takes us an accident to see these things. This is also why when things happen it is good to do a Deconstruct of it to see how you can prevent it like you did, or at least identify where a larger problem might happen.

A guy i know in Ucluelet shot a big buck. He took his quad to it and it rolled. i cant remember exactly what he broke but he couldnt walk. he had to drag himself out untill he got found. his lesson was where the limits are on his quad.
glad your good now Steven. Been a bit of a roller coaster for you im sure.

Downtown
06-24-2021, 08:16 AM
Complacency is the Devil, ask me how I know ! True Wilderness is beautiful but also unforgiving.

Cheers

Brno22F
06-24-2021, 08:55 AM
My quad accident happened a long time ago, 1989. I was bringing a quarter of moose out of the bush on the back of a quad. It was strapped to a Trapper Nelson packboard which was on my back. A short steep incline had me on my back before I could blink. I was sandwiched between the front quarter of moose and the quad. Lucky I wasn't hurt. I managed to roll a bit to the side as the quad went over backwards.
The quad was a Yamaha 2WD racing machine with no cargo racks.
Lessons learned.
1. distribute your load evenly between the front and back of the quad. Too much weight on the back is a dangerous thing when ascending a steep incline.
2. keep the load as low as possible. A high centre of gravity is dangerous and can lead to uncontrolled and unexpected back flips. (same logic applies to not standing up in a canoe)
3. if you dont have racks on the quad, tow your load in a trailer or on a sled.
4. TAKE AN ATV RIDER SAFETY COURSE

j270wsm
06-24-2021, 09:02 AM
Glad you’re almost healed srupp.
I have a spot but will be replacing it with the delorm in reach.

When I had a quad I always used a ratchet strap to keep the ramps from kicking off the tailgate

lastnight after getting the last of the decorations set up for my sons high school grad( today at 12:30 ) I went for a rip on my dirt bike with my youngest son and a friend. On our way home we were coming down a not so well maintained hydro access road. My bike was off, coasting in neutral going 15km hr. I went over a rock that spans the entire width of the road when my front tire slid out causing me to fall to my left pile driving my left shoulder into the road. Immediate pain in the shoulder followed by the feeling of wanting to puke. After 5-10min of rolling around swearing and being pissed off I got back on my bike and continued down the 8% boulder covered switch backs with one hand until I reached the valley road. Another 26km of roads and I was home. Now I’m waiting in the Er to get an X-ray.
A lot of the time slow speed crashes are the worst ones.

lovemywinchester
06-24-2021, 09:11 AM
Quads will be sold with the small roll bar attached to the back seat soon, just like riding mowers. A guy in Kelowna reps the company that makes aftermarket ones.

I watched a guy roll his quad onto himself at Tunkwa Lake resort a few years ago backing off the truck. Guys came up from the city and were rushing to get into the bush and the quad rolled over and drove his head into the ground with the handlebars. I was driving by slowly and watched the whole thing from about 15 ft. Those handlebars smashed him right in the chops and buddy was OK but shaken up big time. Was quite an eye opener about how quickly it happens.

MOOSE MILK
06-24-2021, 09:28 AM
While loading an ATV on to the pickup, the front wheels were in the pickup bed and the rear tires were still on the ramps. The rear wheels spun and shot the ramps out from beneath the ATV. The ATV went over backwards with me on it, I was knocked unconscious, my wife heard the crash and came out and thought that I was dead.
Ever since that incident I now load the ATV into the pickup with the winch and a u-ring mounted in the truck bed, and I never ride it in like I see so many people doing.
MM

srupp
06-24-2021, 11:02 AM
Glad you’re almost healed srupp.
I have a spot but will be replacing it with the delorm in reach.

When I had a quad I always used a ratchet strap to keep the ramps from kicking off the tailgate

lastnight after getting the last of the decorations set up for my sons high school grad( today at 12:30 ) I went for a rip on my dirt bike with my youngest son and a friend. On our way home we were coming down a not so well maintained hydro access road. My bike was off, coasting in neutral going 15km hr. I went over a rock that spans the entire width of the road when my front tire slid out causing me to fall to my left pile driving my left shoulder into the road. Immediate pain in the shoulder followed by the feeling of wanting to puke. After 5-10min of rolling around swearing and being pissed off I got back on my bike and continued down the 8% boulder covered switch backs with one hand until I reached the valley road. Another 26km of roads and I was home. Now I’m waiting in the Er to get an X-ray.
A lot of the time slow speed crashes are the worst ones.

Hope all turns out well.I'm not the only one who found out how fast accidents happen..holy shyte.moment literally..and without emergency comunication being in your immediate grasp they might as well be at home.
Cheers
Srupp

wallz
06-24-2021, 02:39 PM
Great reminder for sure. I am planning on a device this year, and that is great advice to actually keep it in arms length.

Seen a few accidents over the years, and most were inexperienced riders with a mix of wobbly pops which directly leads to riding stupid in the back country. Just why do guys do this is beyond me. Either do one or the other, not both at the same time. I don't even want to be around guys that liquor up in hunting camp anymore, just senseless. My opinion for what its worth.

swampthing
06-24-2021, 06:18 PM
While loading an ATV on to the pickup, the front wheels were in the pickup bed and the rear tires were still on the ramps. The rear wheels spun and shot the ramps out from beneath the ATV. The ATV went over backwards with me on it, I was knocked unconscious, my wife heard the crash and came out and thought that I was dead.
Ever since that incident I now load the ATV into the pickup with the winch and a u-ring mounted in the truck bed, and I never ride it in like I see so many people doing.
MM

I have a tall truck and only 6' ramps. If I cant back into a ditch for load/unloading I use the winch as well to both load and unload!

robert05
06-24-2021, 06:49 PM
Quite a few years ago I was loading my 600 grizzly (heavy ) on to my trailer which I had done for years. The ramps decided to buckle when the rear tires where half way up and over we go backwards with the quad landing on me pinned under neath. Now I do not
Remember what happened but I lifted the quad of myself with my left Arm and it was sitting on its side beside me. I know this because I could no lift a cup of coffee for several weeks, quess I ripped all the mussels in my chest and arm doing this little feat.
Lucky I had a friend with me as I did break 8 ribs, just not fun.

REMINGTON JIM
06-24-2021, 07:17 PM
Quite a few years ago I was loading my 600 grizzly (heavy ) on to my trailer which I had done for years. The ramps decided to buckle when the rear tires where half way up and over we go backwards with the quad landing on me pinned under neath. Now I do not
Remember what happened but I lifted the quad of myself with my left Arm and it was sitting on its side beside me. I know this because I could no lift a cup of coffee for several weeks, quess I ripped all the mussels in my chest and arm doing this little feat.
Lucky I had a friend with me as I did break 8 ribs, just not fun.

8 ribs - Yikes ! :cry: I have done in my ribs twice over the years wrecking on a Snowmobile - They HURT Bad and take a LONG time to Heal ! RJ

REMINGTON JIM
06-24-2021, 07:26 PM
Buddy and i are heading out to Pukeashun mountain for a QUAD ride ay 6 am in the morning ! We like our Quad riding & Sledding ! :wink: RJ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pukeashun_Mountain

swampthing
06-25-2021, 06:49 PM
Buddy and i are heading out to Pukeashun mountain for a QUAD ride ay 6 am in the morning ! We like our Quad riding & Sledding ! :wink: RJ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pukeashun_Mountain

I quaded up there once in the mid 90s lookin for muleys! Fun as I recall!

REMINGTON JIM
06-25-2021, 09:21 PM
We had a GREAT - SAFE ! ride today BUT Got into too Much snow up at 6000 ft ! We will go back in 3 weeks and do it again ! RJ

.330 Dakota
06-26-2021, 07:33 AM
Many Many accidents are loading and unloading. ALWAYS TIE THE RAMPS OFF.
ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET. I use a little beanie type, so it doesnt restrict my vision to the sides, its better than no helmet.
Common sense goes a long way, and you can still be hurt or killed.
I busted a leg, rammed a stick through the other leg, and broke 2 ribs while ging 5kms an hour on a Dease Lake hunt one time. Stupid little mistake that could have been way worse. End over end down a 30 foot bank.

nature girl
06-26-2021, 08:03 AM
The boyfriend and I were on the same atv went up a step little hill and there was a crossditch before the hill. The hill was maybe 5' high. He went up the hill and the atv flipped backwards he got off and it landed on me but luckily that crossditch was under me and that is where I was in the crossditch. When I think of it now I was very lucky. It the crossditch hadn't of been there it would of been worse for sure.

For some of you thinking of getting a atv made for one person and you put two people on it like we did we did that on two different atv's that we have owned. It is not worth it spend the extra money and get a atv made for two people.

dino
06-27-2021, 09:13 PM
Ive rolled a few of my machines but because i build a wood box and installed it on the back rack it works as a roll bar when side hilling and helps stop the end over end roll.

Monashee
06-27-2021, 10:05 PM
I like the smaller older 250cc quads . Lighter but still fully capable of killing you , just a bit less likely to pin you down that happens with some regularity.

A while back someone suggested a drivers course for operating a quad , usually i wouldn't be in favour of that but the sheer number of people killed by quads in Canada is a bit surprising , 100 per year so this study says https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/210607/dq210607d-eng.htm and i imagine several more crippled or paralyzed for life each year as well .

51% of fatalities had used drugs , darwin at work

Squamch
06-28-2021, 06:46 AM
I'm not a big fan of quads, in my experience, when you crash, they always try to chase you down and kill you. Bikes hardly ever do that.

And side by sides....

If you have a side by side, treat it like it doesn't have a cage. The factory ones are badly designed, undersized, and often badly welded. It's WELL worth it to have an aftermarket cage, of the same dimensions and footprint, built. Just make sure the builder understands how to triangular a cage properly and not leave dead nodes all over it.

tdot
06-28-2021, 07:20 AM
Wow, I'm surprised to hear the sheer volume of quad accident stories here. I don't ride quads, but after a few accidents in the backcountry that all ended well I now carry my In-Reach Mini on a 1' tether attached to my bino harness. The mini is tucked into a side pocket with the antenna exposed and the unit is on so that it always has a GPS fix. That bino harness never leaves my chest, until I'm in the tent to sleep at night. It's an amazing piece of safety equipment.

Downwindtracker2
06-28-2021, 07:42 AM
We all camp at the same Rec Site and go off hunting alone. One of my friends was late coming in " I rolled the ATV." not hurt just embarrassed. Last year another friend flipped his, not hurt but late coming in. Both riders have been riding since 3wheeler days !

The second friend when he told me where, I said I had been there earlier in the week. I had looked down and thought if I go down I'll have to winch up and turned around. He had gone down and tried to drive up. The trail had petered out only a little ways further. . He had to winch up anyway. The quad was not happy about the flip, he had some work to do that evening.

Just because you see quad tracks going down, doesn't mean he drove up. I know one guy who carries line.

boxhitch
06-28-2021, 08:21 AM
A while back someone suggested a drivers course for operating a quad , usually i wouldn't be in favour of that but the sheer number of people killed by quads in Canada is a bit surprising , 100 per year so this study says https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/210607/dq210607d-eng.htm and i imagine several more crippled or paralyzed for life each year as well .

51% of fatalities had used drugs , darwin at workCdn Gov has been trying to protect people from their own stupidity for years, taking little bites out of freedom each time
Boater Safety Card comes to mind

weekender7
06-28-2021, 09:54 AM
Cheers
Srupp

Thanks great advice

ncurrie
06-28-2021, 07:30 PM
Srupp, I’m so glad you are ok and what such valuable advice. My son just but a husky 250 dirt bike and goes out with buddies all the time and I worry (typical mother I know) but I will be putting his spot on a lanyard after reading this!

speedy recovery!!

Codes44
06-29-2021, 02:53 PM
Great advice for sure, as an avid rider myself you HAVE to respect the vehicle. These modern ATV's are incredible machines but of course have limitations. If you are by yourself especially as I often am - Don't take risks. If you're uncomfortable about something our about to do that's your conscience telling you to think about it first haha. Always tell friends or family the area you'll be in and stick to it, if you end up in that situation and are unable to move that's your only salvation.

Sportster
07-01-2021, 03:51 PM
Apparently the big three (Yamaha, Polaris and can-am)are pulling out of the market in Australia because of new safety equipment regulations on quads. Don't quote me on this, maybe someone out there knows more details about this. But, apparently all new quads sold will have to be equipped with large role cadges. The manufacturers are claiming that they would have to completely redesign their ATV vehicles(quads)to accommodate these new safety measures at significant cost, therefore they have decided to pull out of the market. Again, apparently atv (quad)accidents are rampant in Australia and is costing the country millions of dollars every year in medical expenses.

Downwindtracker2
07-01-2021, 04:51 PM
We did some time in Aus. just tourist on the east side. I went in to farm equipment dealer asking directions to the local fair grounds. They had a Can-Am like my 08 on the floor. It had much heavier bumpers than mine. I pointed that out, "We tend to hit things."

I asked the Can-Am rep at the sportsman show top speed, for my 650 it was 78mph. I've never tested that.

Redthies
07-01-2021, 10:09 PM
Cdn Gov has been trying to protect people from their own stupidity for years, taking little bites out of freedom each time
Boater Safety Card comes to mind

I’m no fan of regulations of any sort, but after 40+ years of seeing humans doing really stupid shit on the water, I don’t think taking the boaters safety course is a bad thing at all. It’s like doing your CORE. I feel a tiny bit better knowing that at least some of the other idiots with guns out there might have absorbed even the tiniest bit of safety info, and hopefully won’t shoot me or my partners.

srupp
07-01-2021, 10:15 PM
Hmm normally do not take risks..and I was not even on the ATV when bringing it out of the truck box..freek. accident..combination of events...who would have thunk it !
My point was sudden and unexpected..
Cheers
Gimpy and Grumpy

twoSevenO
07-02-2021, 06:23 AM
So what happened then, the ATV just rolled out of the box and onto you??

Glad you have recovered. HBC was worried about ya!

lovemywinchester
07-02-2021, 09:18 AM
I’m no fan of regulations of any sort, but after 40+ years of seeing humans doing really stupid shit on the water, I don’t think taking the boaters safety course is a bad thing at all. It’s like doing your CORE. I feel a tiny bit better knowing that at least some of the other idiots with guns out there might have absorbed even the tiniest bit of safety info, and hopefully won’t shoot me or my partners.

I agree. I was out with a buddy on the Shuswap yesterday and he had no idea what the buoys in the river mean. He took the course and boats all the time but didn't know what side of the green buoys to go on. He was not happy when I asked him how he passed the test.

twoSevenO
07-02-2021, 10:27 AM
I agree. I was out with a buddy on the Shuswap yesterday and he had no idea what the buoys in the river mean. He took the course and boats all the time but didn't know what side of the green buoys to go on. He was not happy when I asked him how he passed the test.

Same way I passed my CORE and cant identify half the damn game birds.
I'm not gonna sit here and lie that I can tell a difference between a snow goose or a ross's goose.

I dont hunt them so I dont really care, but my point is the passing threshold for most things nowdays is pretty low.

It's pretty scary how little skills you need to show to ride a motorcycle on the street as well. Very very basic to legally operate something I would consider significantly harder to drive than a car.

ddh
07-02-2021, 01:05 PM
Would like to say thanks for this thread, I am into my seventies and have thousands of miles on trikes then quads with no serious incidents. I recognize that loading and unloading my quad on ramps into the back of my pickup box is probably the most hazardous activity I do and I had become complacent in using a safety strap to keep the ramps secured. I am now recommitted to this all the time, every time.

srupp
07-02-2021, 01:23 PM
Would like to say thanks for this thread, I am into my seventies and have thousands of miles on trikes then quads with no serious incidents. I recognize that loading and unloading my quad on ramps into the back of my pickup box is probably the most hazardous activity I do and I had become complacent in using a safety strap to keep the ramps secured. I am now recommitted to this all the time, every time.

Hmmm then pointing out the inherent dangers no matter how many times done with no consequences was worth it.
Cheers
Srupp

BRvalley
07-02-2021, 01:29 PM
things can happen very quickly, lots of good advice on this thread...I think the biggest one for me is keeping your inreach/zoleo/spot/etc on your body at all times, and the older I get knowing the limits and not testing them especially if I'm solo

this cross appeared in one of my little honey holes a few years back, I believe I may have been there the day the accident happened but I backed out once I saw another camp setup...hit home for me because I hunt alone 99% of the time, and in the same spot as this gentleman....from what I googled he passed away after flipping his quad

if his friends or family are on here, condolences again for your loss...hope it was ok to post this as a memorial and reminder for others, seemed like the right thread for it

https://i.imgur.com/VcanRoq.jpg

srupp
07-02-2021, 02:39 PM
Very well demonstrated..thanks BRO
Srupp

Sportster
07-03-2021, 09:43 AM
We did some time in Aus. just tourist on the east side. I went in to farm equipment dealer asking directions to the local fair grounds. They had a Can-Am like my 08 on the floor. It had much heavier bumpers than mine. I pointed that out, "We tend to hit things."

I asked the Can-Am rep at the sportsman show top speed, for my 650 it was 78mph. I've never tested that.

I own a 650 XT max and I've had it up to 120km/h before I backed off the throttle, that was on a long flat dirt road. One safety tip I would like to give is always have your ATV in 4 wheel drive when loading and unloading, it will help to prevent the back wheels from kicking the ramps off the back of your truck or trailer.

lovemywinchester
07-03-2021, 10:07 AM
It can happen quickly anytime you are off road. We had to help this guy pull his KLR 650 out of the rhubarb last summer. Just slid off the road coming down a sweeping corner and a downed tree was sticking out a bit. Lucky he was ok. A KLR is hard enough to push around on flat ground. Try pulling one up a bank. Tough job for 4 guys and my truck, no way he was getting it out with just him and his buddy.

https://i.imgur.com/1yg0Brml.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1yg0Brml.jpg

Downwindtracker2
07-03-2021, 11:05 AM
Sportster, you are a damm sight braver man than me

brn2ryd
07-03-2021, 09:58 PM
So what you are saying is keep you Inreach in reach. Got it.
stay safe out there everyone.

srupp
07-03-2021, 11:42 PM
Or your SPOT where you can SPOT it..lol
Ya you pass you get it.
Srupp

bighornbob
07-04-2021, 12:57 PM
Glad you are mending. But what led to the quad flipping on you?

Cheers
Srupp

srupp
07-04-2021, 03:36 PM
Hmm was pulling it out of pickup..it wouldn't come out.,so started 500 up into reverse and tried to feather the throttle..it came back however that action pinned the throttle wide open ..the ATV came wide open handie bars ripping my abdomen..liver.,atv continued over me tearing up hips legs driving me into cement flower edging..ATV on top of me..
Cause..impatience..not knowing the possible outcome of a new process.
I was a idiot..and suffered the painful consequences.
Srupp

f350ps
07-04-2021, 06:53 PM
things can happen very quickly, lots of good advice on this thread...I think the biggest one for me is keeping your inreach/zoleo/spot/etc on your body at all times, and the older I get knowing the limits and not testing them especially if I'm solo

this cross appeared in one of my little honey holes a few years back, I believe I may have been there the day the accident happened but I backed out once I saw another camp setup...hit home for me because I hunt alone 99% of the time, and in the same spot as this gentleman....from what I googled he passed away after flipping his quad

if his friends or family are on here, condolences again for your loss...hope it was ok to post this as a memorial and reminder for others, seemed like the right thread for it

https://i.imgur.com/VcanRoq.jpg
WOW, I grew up with Randy from Kindergarten right through to many years after grad! That was a very tragic event for an extremely great guy, gone way to young! I still keep in touch with a couple of his old hunting partners! K

Ron.C
07-05-2021, 07:49 PM
A 38 year old VI man was killed in an ATV accident yesterday. Please be careful out there folks.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/friends-find-man-after-fatal-atv-crash-near-nanaimo-river-road-1.24338860

REMINGTON JIM
07-05-2021, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=srupp;2265530]Hmm was pulling it out of pickup..it wouldn't come out.,so started 500 up into reverse and tried to feather the throttle..it came back however that action pinned the throttle wide open ..the ATV came wide open handie bars ripping my abdomen..liver.,atv continued over me tearing up hips legs driving me into cement flower edging..ATV on top of me..
Cause..impatience..not knowing the possible outcome of a new process.
I was a idiot..and suffered the painful consequences.

Your FRIGGIN LUCKY that's all that happened to you ! Glad your Healing Well ! ;-) RJ

srupp
07-05-2021, 11:57 PM
Thanks RJ...the broaken ribs SUCK..AND THE slowest to heal seems both wrists hands..the cement flower border stuck up 18 "..when the quad drove me down and parked on me..my ribs hit the edge of that cement edge..THAT'S what did the lateral and frontal ribs in..hugging cough sneeze pillows for 2 months..
I'm 70 % better physically..some road rash just won't heal..still picking bit's of cement out of my elbows..
Just inattention and not slowing it down,,trying to rush it..impatience.
Anyone that has rode with me knows that's not my usual style..it normally is safe slow and steady..but I have done indeed things that could have bitten me in the ass..but didn't till now.
But it's the stupid mistakes that kill.
I was lucky left with bumps lumps pain to remember this lesson.
Cheers
Guy's
Srupp

btridge
07-09-2021, 08:24 AM
Last weekend, My daughter had a accident on a quad that she was Very lucky to walk away from.
She grew up riding this quad and rides like it is part of her( over 20 years same quad). She was riding a trail she has ridden a 1000 times over the years.
The mistake she made was to take her left hand off the handle bar long enough to take a drink of water. At that moment she staddled a rock of about 4 inches. The rock caught the inside of the front tire and it instantly fired her over the bank. I have always taught her that if something like this happens, save yourself...she bailed as a reflex and only ended up with some bruising...to both body and ego. This happened on a bank to steep to walk up, she was Very lucky!!
KEEP both hands on the bars while moving please.

stogs
07-09-2021, 11:15 AM
Don't be over confident atv accidents happen very fast. If there is a more experienced rider in your group don't be afraid to ask for help overcoming an obstacle. I'd way rather show someone how to cross something than pull their bike off them.

srupp
07-09-2021, 06:53 PM
Last weekend, My daughter had a accident on a quad that she was Very lucky to walk away from.
She grew up riding this quad and rides like it is part of her( over 20 years same quad). She was riding a trail she has ridden a 1000 times over the years.
The mistake she made was to take her left hand off the handle bar long enough to take a drink of water. At that moment she staddled a rock of about 4 inches. The rock caught the inside of the front tire and it instantly fired her over the bank. I have always taught her that if something like this happens, save yourself...she bailed as a reflex and only ended up with some bruising...to both body and ego. This happened on a bank to steep to walk up, she was Very lucky!!
KEEP both hands on the bars while moving please.

Very happy she is OK..
Srupp

.330 Dakota
07-09-2021, 08:00 PM
Apparently the big three (Yamaha, Polaris and can-am)are pulling out of the market in Australia because of new safety equipment regulations on quads. Don't quote me on this, maybe someone out there knows more details about this. But, apparently all new quads sold will have to be equipped with large role cadges. The manufacturers are claiming that they would have to completely redesign their ATV vehicles(quads)to accommodate these new safety measures at significant cost, therefore they have decided to pull out of the market. Again, apparently atv (quad)accidents are rampant in Australia and is costing the country millions of dollars every year in medical expenses.

Im a fabricator by trade, and I dont see how roll cages would require revamping the whole machine at all. These things only weigh 700lbs at best, and a cage attached to the racks would certainly hold it up. I have often thought of building one for my ATV, which could double as a canoe rack

Mudsey
07-09-2021, 08:54 PM
I've had 2 ATV accidents. I was trying to get up to retrieve a mule deer I shot in a clear cut. I was going up a hill and there was lots of fireweed as I crested a hill there was a log on the ground I didn't see until too late. When I hit the log my quad came over backwards, I pushed myself off to the side and slid downhill on my back. The quad bounced beside me and sustained quite a bit of damage. If it would have landed on me I would have been severely hurt. Second time was loading onto pick-up and ramps shot out and like first time as quad came back I pushed myself off to the side and quad landed beside me. Learned my lesson and always strap my ramps to truck.

Monashee
07-09-2021, 09:21 PM
I've had 2 ATV accidents. I was trying to get up to retrieve a mule deer I shot in a clear cut. I was going up a hill and there was lots of fireweed as I crested a hill there was a log on the ground I didn't see until too late. When I hit the log my quad came over backwards, I pushed myself off to the side and slid downhill on my back. The quad bounced beside me and sustained quite a bit of damage. If it would have landed on me I would have been severely hurt. Second time was loading onto pick-up and ramps shot out and like first time as quad came back I pushed myself off to the side and quad landed beside me. Learned my lesson and always strap my ramps to truck.

Glad you are ok Mudsey, what size is your ATV ?

Frequently things happens so fast there is no time to even react , a friend came close to breaking bones when his 250cc partially landed on him, most people ride bigger ones that are well over 500 lbs if not closer to 700 lbs

white moose
07-09-2021, 09:43 PM

Was just thinking about strapping the ramps, its pretty simple science. Its a must, specially with lifted trucks.

MRP
07-10-2021, 06:35 AM
A fair bit on ramps here. I learned that when I was a kid loading my motorcycles. Dad drilled a sloppy 1/4” hole the ramp and in the tailgate to drop in a 1/4” bolt so not to kick out. Dummy me when I got a 3 wheel Honda big red took me a couple of close calls to get the drill out. My DIY atv deck is 5’ high, I have hooks on the ramps like scaffolding planks and hook on to a cross bar.

mpotzold
07-10-2021, 12:56 PM
another ATV accident

-Wyoming rancher pinned under ATV for 2 days survived on water, beer

-Frank Reynolds, 53, dislocated his shoulder and broke some ribs

-He’s really lucky that the drinks landed within reach of his right arm,' his brother said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9773899/Wyoming-rancher-pinned-ATV-survives-beer-water-2-days.html (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9773899/Wyoming-rancher-pinned-ATV-survives-beer-water-2-days.html)

Mr.Crumbz
07-10-2021, 01:14 PM
Im a fabricator by trade, and I dont see how roll cages would require revamping the whole machine at all. These things only weigh 700lbs at best, and a cage attached to the racks would certainly hold it up. I have often thought of building one for my ATV, which could double as a canoe rack

I looked in to roll bars once, out of curiosity, for my Polaris Sportsman 500. I never did end up getting one but came across this flexible roll bar that keeps the ATV off of you and give you some space to work yourself out from underneath; one of the products is https://atvlifeguards.com/

I personally wouldn’t want a hard roll bar / cage if I’m not secured to the ATV as their is the likelihood of me dislodging from the ATV and getting and arm / leg / other part of me caught between the roll bar and ground.

There is also the Polaris Ace which solves both problem, your strapped in and protected by a cage. Same width as an ATV so it’ll go most if not all of the same places.

Just have to have an ounce of caution and a little fear for the what if’s when riding. A friend of mine has come close to seriously injuring himself numerous times but out of his temptation to throw caution to the wind; including the stereotypical loading accident justified to him as he had never had an issue before.

Also don’t forget your helmets! It astounds me that people ride (anything) without helmets nowadays…..

Mudsey
07-10-2021, 09:32 PM
2 different ATV's but both were 400's. First one went end over end 3 times beside me and sustained a lot of damage. Second time I had a 4hsp outboard motor strapped to the front rack and a deflated zodiac to the back rack so they prevented any damage to the ATV. Bent the keel on the outboard but it straighten easily. Really lucky I never got hurt and now I ALWAYS strap the loading ramp to the truck.

Downwindtracker2
07-11-2021, 07:47 AM
At least ATVs, that includes dirt bikes, are safer than horses . At least in Colorado by ER visits .

srupp
07-11-2021, 12:39 PM
Hmm GUYS AND GALS., practice safe riding procedures..
And instead of beer and water luckily landing within reach..

Buy and use a PERSONAL EMERGENCY COMUNICATION DEVICE..AND KEEP IT WITHIN REACH AT ALL TIMES.
Be safe.
Steven Rupp

Mosin
07-12-2021, 12:51 AM
Cheers
Srupp

First of all, I'm glad to hear of your recovery and 2nd...thank you for sharing this new piece of knowledge you have acquired. You are quite right about keeping you device where you can actually reach it...kinda of like keeping your cell phone in your pocket not your console where it will get lost in a roll over. Maybe your post will have a domino effect and save a life one day.

bearheart
07-18-2021, 12:33 PM
MM
Sounds like a great idea, this old fart is going to try it. Thanks!

whitlers
07-18-2021, 12:57 PM
I flipped a trike on myself this weekend trying to climb two awkwardly spaced logs on a bit of an incline. Rolled right over backwards and landed on my back with the trike under my foot. Had a good laugh and came out with a sore back. Thankfully it was a light machine. Trikes are sketchy for sure but I wouldn't want to have the same thing happen with a big quad.

srupp
07-18-2021, 03:44 PM
Hmm very happy your OK.
Cheers
Srupp

Ron.C
10-04-2021, 02:39 PM
Be careful out there folks

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/missing-couple-found-dead-atv-accident-1.6198470 (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/missing-couple-found-dead-atv-accident-1.6198470)

srupp
10-04-2021, 03:31 PM
Be careful out there folks

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/missing-couple-found-dead-atv-accident-1.6198470 (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/missing-couple-found-dead-atv-accident-1.6198470)

Yes Ron..saw this unfortunate incident both dead..sad.
Makes me even more thankful that I can feel my broaken ribs still.
Srupp

wideopenthrottle
10-05-2021, 06:51 AM
So true . . .

when we were transporting the quad we had it sideways on the trailer...I noticed buddy would put the ramps on the same side of the trailer to unload as to load...I asked him why he didn't put the ramps on the other side and drive forward off...we looked at each other said hmmmmm and moved the ramps to the other side....

REMINGTON JIM
10-05-2021, 08:16 AM
Very SAD occurence for Sure ! Dieing from a ATV accident - Shitty way to go out of this World ! RJ

basscanada
10-05-2021, 08:41 AM
Hey Steve, just saw the post about your accident, hope you've healed completely ! your old quad is still going strong, I will be extra cautious after reading this thread for sure, a sobering reminder of how things change change in a flash.

srupp
10-05-2021, 11:10 AM
Hey Steve, just saw the post about your accident, hope you've healed completely ! your old quad is still going strong, I will be extra cautious after reading this thread for sure, a sobering reminder of how things change change in a flash.

Great to hear your well..and the ATV..HOW IS your new addition to the familly ?
Cheers
Steven

Linksman313
10-05-2021, 11:39 AM
Was just thinking about strapping the ramps, its pretty simple science. Its a must, specially with lifted trucks.

Who needs a quad when you have a lifted truck, don't those things go everywhere? :razz:

HuntNmemories
10-10-2021, 12:13 AM
I took a rented quad up through a mature Jack Pole Pine forest to retrieve a large 4 point mulie up on a ridge. I had to jump wind falls as it was only a 2 wheel drive, I stalled the motor trying to jump a couple of windfalls at the same time, the bike rolled backwards and slammed into a standing snag... a 10 ft widow-maker broke off from the top and imbedded itself in the the ground beside me. I took a few minutes to calm down, continued up hill to the mulie that my Dad and I left field dressed the night before, and got him out to the landing.
Decided to drive the bike with the buck head's strapped to the back rack and his body dragging behind me up on a mound to make it easier to load into my truck. The weight of the deer going uphill caused the quad to flipped over backwards and instantly I found myself standing on the deer with my arms raised up in the air holding the bike up from crashing down on me.
I could not let go of the bike and get clear of the bike in time, my arms were starting to shake from the exertion...it seemed like 15-20 minutes had passed, but it was probably only a couple of minutes. Finally, I was able to push up on the quad and took some small steps forward to heave it back off me.
I had harvested the biggest buck of my life, but I was inexperienced as an operator, and it was -20. Although I was alone at the time, my Dad showed up shortly after I loaded the buck into my truck.
I learned some valuable lessons that day, I should have waited for my Dad before trying to retrieve the deer, quads are heavy, a 4x4 quad would have been a better choice, quads flip easily, and a chainsaw would have helped clearing a path.
It was a hunt of a lifetime, as I shot that buck with my Dad standing beside me, and we had hunted him hard for a couple of weeks. But on that day I was lucky.

BrianS
10-10-2021, 06:05 AM
Glad to hear you are healing up. As a ex Paramedic I can only imagine how you felt being short of breathe. Great advice about being able to reach your emergency device to activate help!
Take care,

MOOSE MILK
10-10-2021, 07:44 PM
A nephew and his 6 yr. old son stopped to open a gate (on their own farm) the father opened the gate and we figure the son thought that he would help out by driving the quad through the gate saving his dad from getting on and off again to close the gate after them. The kid had never driven the ATV before, he jammed the throttle down and took off hit a bump and flipped the machine on top of himself killing him instantly.

Redthies
10-11-2021, 07:39 AM
A nephew and his 6 yr. old son stopped to open a gate (on their own farm) the father opened the gate and we figure the son thought that he would help out by driving the quad through the gate saving his dad from getting on and off again to close the gate after them. The kid had never driven the ATV before, he jammed the throttle down and took off hit a bump and flipped the machine on top of himself killing him instantly.

Wow. That poor guy will be haunted by that until the day he dies. Quads are great right up until they aren’t.

HeadingOutside
10-13-2021, 09:12 PM
A close family friend of ours was hunting with a buddy who rolled his quad resulting in a compound fracture. It was a no-joke-holy-crap situation apparently. Very cold and close to inaccessible but he had a Garmin inReach and sent out for help. The rescuers were there in 12 hours but that seems acceptable to me. After hearing his story I went out and bought a Zoleo. Makes me feel better and having a way for somebody to get ahold of you isn't so bad either. Just dont be like my buddy and be texting constantly in the deer blind. >:(

srupp
10-14-2021, 02:53 PM
Hmm everyone should have and use personal comunication device..keep it close and accessable..
PLEASE BE CAREFUL.
Srupp