PDA

View Full Version : Man lives in the Serengeti of North America and has to go to Alberta for meat

Thunderstix
11-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Ok, it not only pains me to write this but also it embarasses me to a great extent. When I moved here I was so stoked as I was going to be the Hunting King, but alas I am only the Jester! I have hunted hard since Labour Day weekend with only some recurve shot grouse to show for it...although that was fun. I have wandered on foot for 92 kms on my GPS and I actually did not turn it on since mid October so I can assure you I am up to about 125 kms on foot. Spent the majority of my time on the Tetsa River. Ideally you need a quad or jetboat up here but you can still get an elk or moose without one but quite a bit harder. Truthfully, I guess it is only right that I pay my dues up here. I paid my dues back in Rupert and was rewarded with countless successful hunts, although ultimately all my hunts are successful...I am just hungrier after some of them, especially lately! I was booked to fly from Muncho lake with 5 friends into the Gatho River on September 20th, but as I am sure you saw on the news the twin otter crashed this summer thus cancelling our hunt. That little setback did not deter me as I never give up. So on goes my saga: I did see one 5 point elk (I hunted mostly with my 17 year old son), and had many encounters with moose with my bow which I would not trade for anything, except for the last encounter which was on Highway 77 (to the Northwest Territories) or the 317 as it is known around here due to the fact it is on 317 mile of the Alaska Highway. I found my self driving down it for the first time and decided after 20 mins to turn around and go back. I saw a dirt road and thought I would pull in and turn around there. Lo and behold there was a perfect 2x2 bull moose standing 70 yards down the steel gated dirt road. I backed out and parked about 150 yards up the highway, grabbed my recurve and ran back down, only to find the moose was now standing at the gate. I got to 25 yards and we had a stare down for about 1 minute or so. The whole time his kill zone was obscured by the 10`` dia steel gate piping. He ran off and I went to my truck trembling. The next day I found out you only have to be 15 meters off the center line on highway 77....DOH! Yep, I could have shot him with my old .375 H&H right where he stood....DOH again! I certainly had erred on the side of caution....the moral is make sure you read and reread the regs as you may get a pleasant or not so pleasant surprise.
Now, the real reason for this thread is my trip this past wekend to the Badheart area of Alberta. My friend Peter was my Hunter Host on his family property (don`t know the acreage but major). I saw 25 whitetail does and fawns on Saturday and some pretty substantial Mulie Bucks (draw only), but no Whitetail bucks. Went on Sunday morning, put a stalk on a herd of elk (we had one cow tag), but did not get one. Went to the next oat field and there was a whitetail buck in the middle. I snuck along the bush and then crawled the last 10 yards through prickle bushes in order to get a rest on a stump. He must have seen me at the last minute because he took off running. I missed the first shot but he dropped like a rock on my second shot. As I was walking towards him he jumped up and ran into the bush. I walked through to the other side, he popped out, I popped him and now I have meat and pictures. We paced it off to where he dropped the first time and it was 215 yards. It sure deceiving with the slight undulations of the field as we both thought it was maybe 130-150 yards at first. I did hit him far back as I did not lead him enough. Not sure I would attempt that shot again, and certainly not If it was that far again. Sorry to ramble but I just had to get that all out.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Mike_s_Whitey1.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Mike_s_Whitey.jpg

Sharkey
11-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Your hard work has paid off! He fought hard, but he's all yours!
~D

boxhitch
11-05-2007, 10:14 PM
As long as we are still learning, its a good day.
Heard there are some good Mulies in the area of 317/Steamboat/Tetsa ? I've wanted to check out that new road at Kledo Cr. too. ??

Fisher-Dude
11-05-2007, 10:36 PM
That's a nice buck, good job!

I've hunted up the 317 - that mud is unlike anything I've EVER seen...cost us $63 to power-wash it off the quads and rain gear, and we only rode (slid?) for 4 kms until we said to heck with this!

Phil
11-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Great looking buck! Congratulations!

Thunderstix
11-06-2007, 06:15 AM
As long as we are still learning, its a good day.
Heard there are some good Mulies in the area of 317/Steamboat/Tetsa ? I've wanted to check out that new road at Kledo Cr. too. ??

Steamboat has some nice Mulies on it for sure as I have seen them. You start seeing quite a few Whitetail right around the entrance to Tetsa Park which is actually where the Whitetail season in 7-54 starts (North side of highway). I spent one day up the Kledo Logging road and saw tons on WT tracks but no Mulie tracks, but I sure there are some in there....lots of moose in there, but heavily hunted by the quadders. Elk are also in there.

Thunderstix
11-06-2007, 06:18 AM
That's a nice buck, good job!

I've hunted up the 317 - that mud is unlike anything I've EVER seen...cost us $63 to power-wash it off the quads and rain gear, and we only rode (slid?) for 4 kms until we said to heck with this!

You are right! It is hard to describe how if it starts to rain and the mud is 2 inches deep that you cannot drive on it with your truck...literally! People don't believe it until they find out the hard way. I describe the mud as being as sticky as glue and as slippery as grease. You don't have to drive far before the mud stuck to your tires is scraping on the wheel-well.

hunter1947
11-06-2007, 07:02 AM
Mike ,your season went like mine did :redface:. But lets look at it this way ,there always will be the next year. Some years you get a bad year. I have had two in a row now ,hopefully next year will turn around ,i don't know if it is my age creeping up on me ,or if it is bad luck. Anyway you got yourself one fine whitetail deer ,we both have one each to our credit so far this year. Congrats on a fine deer Mike http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

ARC
11-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Nice buck. I'm sure its just a matter of time until you start connecting up North.
I did some Forestry work for about a month last year on the 317. Barely made it out of a few of those roads during some rainstorms. I imagine it would be tough country to hunt, some of the thickest alder I've seen where we were.

todbartell
11-06-2007, 02:24 PM
nice buck Mike

Will
11-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Nice Whitie ! Congrats 8-)

browningboy
11-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Nice buck, I love that gumbo at 317, it's just plain fun! Just have to have the right set up.

fireonethree
11-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Nice buck 'Stix!

I was reading between the lines and decided that there are two books you will never write:

1) "How I Mastered the Double Lung Shot" and
2) "Serengeti Recipes"

But I am willing to say you have penned a few chapters of "The Texas Heart Shot: Shooting through the Eye of the Storm"

:lol::lol::lol:

BCLongshot
11-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Good one !

gameslayer
11-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Nice Buck ThunderStix I am sure you will be hammering the crap out of the game up North in no time, Reading the regs closly is alway's a good thing. I remeber I once I released a leagal spring during a fishing derby 10 min before the end. Turns out I would have won if I double checked the leagal length. it was the only one landed. I stewed on that one for a while serves me right I guess.

Thunderstix
11-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Nice Buck ThunderStix I am sure you will be hammering the crap out of the game up North in no time, Reading the regs closly is alway's a good thing. I remeber I once I released a leagal spring during a fishing derby 10 min before the end. Turns out I would have won if I double checked the leagal length. it was the only one landed. I stewed on that one for a while serves me right I guess.
You got that right! I guess the moral is, if you are going to err, make sure it is on the side of caution.

Thunderstix
11-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Nice buck 'Stix!

I was reading between the lines and decided that there are two books you will never write:

2) "Serengeti Recipes"

But I am willing to say you have penned a few chapters of "The Texas Heart Shot: Shooting through the Eye of the Storm"

Baaahaaahaaa, you funny guy Fire13! Too bad you are not able to go bison hunting this week and thzat I can't come to Francois for the mulie hunt.

fester
11-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Nice buck 'Stix!

2) "Serengeti Recipes"

Hey Tstix

He is just jealous he has not connected this year yet!!

Great looking deer should make some good meals!!

Was Justy with you??

jrjonesy
11-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Nice buck. Love the big bodies on those Alberta Whitetails.

Thunderstix
11-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Hey Tstix

He is just jealous he has not connected this year yet!!

Great looking deer should make some good meals!!

Was Justy with you??
Justy was not with me on that trip. Every other trip he was though.