PDA

View Full Version : Indian Arm

SuperYeti
06-22-2021, 11:20 AM
Hey guys, I was lucky enough to get an LEH for the elk draw in the Indian River valley for the fall. Just starting to do my research and will start scouting next week. Has anyone been in there from Squamish side recently? Any tips on where to look for the herd? Any advice or info is much appreciated!

Cdog
06-22-2021, 12:08 PM
I had the antlerless elk draw in there last year and was unsuccessful but close, but my son drew the same tag again this year so I will be there again! I can pm you what I know.

SuperYeti
06-22-2021, 12:19 PM
I had the antlerless elk draw in there last year and was unsuccessful but close, but my son drew the same tag again this year so I will be there again! I can pm you what I know.

That would be awesome, thank you!

MB_Boy
06-22-2021, 12:32 PM
That would be awesome, thank you!

If you are looking to camp in there once you get down in the valley on the arm side there are a number of pullouts where you can set up yourself along the riverbed as it should be pretty low by then. There are also a couple spots up at Norton Lake as well.

SuperYeti
06-22-2021, 12:57 PM
If you are looking to camp in there once you get down in the valley on the arm side there are a number of pullouts where you can set up yourself along the riverbed as it should be pretty low by then. There are also a couple spots up at Norton Lake as well.

Thanks. Are you able to get up to Norton driving, or is it walk-in only? Backroads Maps shows a missing bridge, and google maps show no road connecting. It looks like it's definately accesible from the watershed side, but of course that's a no-go zone.

MB_Boy
06-22-2021, 01:04 PM
Thanks. Are you able to get up to Norton driving, or is it walk-in only? Backroads Maps shows a missing bridge, and google maps show no road connecting. It looks like it's definately accesible from the watershed side, but of course that's a no-go zone.

You used to be able to but I haven't been in there for a few years and it's been even longer since had gone up to Norton so perhaps it has been deactivated? I had thought you could drive right down into the arm again but someone may have better intel.

cutthroat22
06-22-2021, 01:12 PM
Sent you PM.

high and to the right
06-23-2021, 12:01 AM
The road to the arm is easily drivable with most vehicles. You would need an ATV or 4X4 to get up to Norton lake (lots of rock climbing and some deep deep ruts to manoeuvre through). 5 years ago I saw a couple herds of elk in the area but haven't been back there until 3 weeks ago. There was some old elk sign on a couple spurs on the way to Norton. I was surprised by the lack of much bear sign in the area. Good luck on your hunt. There's an elk just around the next corner across the gulley on the side of the hill.

AlpineStalker
06-23-2021, 01:43 AM
Don't discount finding the herd on the main line parallel to Indian River. I came across them there 2k from the Hixon branch at the crack of first light last season. I did also drive my truck most of the way to Norton but that was a bad call... it's pretty thick and gnarly in there. It seems like there are a lot of bridges that have been taken out in the area.

SuperYeti
06-23-2021, 09:15 AM
The road to the arm is easily drivable with most vehicles. You would need an ATV or 4X4 to get up to Norton lake (lots of rock climbing and some deep deep ruts to manoeuvre through). 5 years ago I saw a couple herds of elk in the area but haven't been back there until 3 weeks ago. There was some old elk sign on a couple spurs on the way to Norton. I was surprised by the lack of much bear sign in the area. Good luck on your hunt. There's an elk just around the next corner across the gulley on the side of the hill.

Thanks for the info, there's always some quarry around the next corner :wink:

SuperYeti
06-23-2021, 09:16 AM
Don't discount finding the herd on the main line parallel to Indian River. I came across them there 2k from the Hixon branch at the crack of first light last season. I did also drive my truck most of the way to Norton but that was a bad call... it's pretty thick and gnarly in there. It seems like there are a lot of bridges that have been taken out in the area.

Thanks, what was the worst about norton, the pin striping or the bouldering?

AlpineStalker
06-23-2021, 04:50 PM
Thanks, what was the worst about norton, the pin striping or the bouldering?

The pin striping mainly... There were a couple spots I had to get out and check clearance etc but I managed to get up past the turn off to the lake before coming back. I had originally planned to cross the creek and walk the other side but the bridge was out and the creek was a bit too fast moving to attempt while solo. That said - it's also not that far to walk to Norton (3-4kms) and some cut blocks along the way where I always find droppings.

Bugle M In
06-23-2021, 05:45 PM
Hey, just wanted to chime in and say i am glad to see folks helping others on an leh hunt rather that acting all top secret!
Good on you folks!!

Dour
06-23-2021, 08:16 PM
Hahah I’ve been putting in there every year. I tried to get in the back for spring bear. Hit a wall of snow. In the middle of may . I’m going to go camping up there. Soon. At the lake. I’ll let you know if I see any elks I met someone that got a gronk out of there 5 years ago. He said hike the rivers. Roads can be empty Spend a week if you can

SuperYeti
06-23-2021, 11:22 PM
The pin striping mainly... There were a couple spots I had to get out and check clearance etc but I managed to get up past the turn off to the lake before coming back. I had originally planned to cross the creek and walk the other side but the bridge was out and the creek was a bit too fast moving to attempt while solo. That said - it's also not that far to walk to Norton (3-4kms) and some cut blocks along the way where I always find droppings.

Cool, good to know. My Yukon is officially my bush beater and begging for her first redneck car wash :) I fully expect to be doing the majority of my hunting on foot for this one, more just trying to get a better lay of the land before I venture in.

SuperYeti
06-23-2021, 11:24 PM
Hahah I’ve been putting in there every year. I tried to get in the back for spring bear. Hit a wall of snow. In the middle of may . I’m going to go camping up there. Soon. At the lake. I’ll let you know if I see any elks I met someone that got a gronk out of there 5 years ago. He said hike the rivers. Roads can be empty Spend a week if you can

Thanks for the tips. I was reading a thead on here from 2018 where the poster got a HOG and that seemed to be how he found his as well. My plan is to get up for a bunch of scouting over the next couple months and get to know the area, where I see old sign etc and then head up for a week at the beginning of the season and supplement that with weekends afterwards if needed.

Maybe we'll cross paths up there!

SuperYeti
06-23-2021, 11:25 PM
Hey, just wanted to chime in and say i am glad to see folks helping others on an leh hunt rather that acting all top secret!
Good on you folks!!

Absolutely, it's very much appreciated all the great info people have been willing to share.

3than
06-23-2021, 11:43 PM
Sent you a pm.

natebavis
07-07-2021, 04:40 PM
I agree. My nephew has the draw too and a few of us have been chatting already about the hunt. Good to see people helping each other. We are excited and the recon will start very soon

bacon_overlord
07-10-2021, 01:58 PM
I used to go camping at Norton in the 2000s, I recall back then the road had literally over 100 cross ditches over 7km. I counted. They sucked back then, can't imagine they've improved with age, (unlike myself).

Bugle M In
07-12-2021, 09:39 PM
Everyone needs to remember (who is reading this thread), this is a very limited opportunity leh hunt.
The chances of winning are slim to none.
So, it makes no sense to keep it "top secret".
If anyone has knowledge and can help others out on this type off hunt, please do so.
Do it thru pm if one is concerned of the poaching element or for what ever other reason one does not want it give info publicly.
IF it was 10:1 odds, i can see why some would not want to share.
But at these odds, help a fellow hunter, imo.

SuperYeti
07-12-2021, 10:18 PM
Everyone needs to remember (who is reading this thread), this is a very limited opportunity leh hunt.
The chances of winning are slim to none.
So, it makes no sense to keep it "top secret".
If anyone has knowledge and can help others out on this type off hunt, please do so.
Do it thru pm if one is concerned of the poaching element or for what ever other reason one does not want it give info publicly.
IF it was 10:1 odds, i can see why some would not want to share.
But at these odds, help a fellow hunter, imo.

Thanks Bugle M In. So far, everyone has been really generous with sharing info about the area and I truly feel blessed to be able to go for an Elk hunt in that basin. It seems like it will probably be a pretty tough, but rewarding hunt.

Bugle M In
07-13-2021, 12:32 PM
Thanks Bugle M In. So far, everyone has been really generous with sharing info about the area and I truly feel blessed to be able to go for an Elk hunt in that basin. It seems like it will probably be a pretty tough, but rewarding hunt.
Glad to hear and i know from past experience (my hunting buddies son drew the pitt lake leh) that there were many offering
advice, so there are tons of good folk on here.
I have also heard complaints (while out in the field) that too often to much info is handed out on hbc and ruins an area.
I suppose there is some truth to that at times, but some of these leh hunts dont have that issue.
Anyways, good luck.

SuperYeti
07-13-2021, 12:58 PM
Thanks man, I'll try to get lots of pictures and see if I can piece together a hunt story when all is over and done with.

natebavis
10-14-2021, 10:39 AM
Just got back from the Indian river. We were unable to locate the herds this trip. We did come across lots of sign , some very fresh. Horrible weather to start but did get better... then worse. The river rose a ton with the rain making crossing not possible for day and a half in most areas. I met both guys with the bull draws and it was a pleasure to camp and chat together. Both really great guys. The road was very busy with off roaders so very loud....bikes , quads. I believe all other 3 draws are in there currently, we had to leave for nephew to go back to work. I am hoping to get back out soon. If any of the last few years draws would like to chime in that would be great...we are still hopeful for a juicy cow!!!

albravo2
10-14-2021, 10:44 AM
Good luck to all with the draw.

My buddy had the McNabb Creek draw a few years back and I'm still in touch with the other hunters we met over there. Great guys.

I've learned a lot more about elk hunting since then and would really like a shot at a big Rosie. Here's hoping for next LEH!

stixnstones
10-16-2021, 09:49 AM
Good morning all with tags.Was nice to meet the bull draw holders. How you all making out ?

browningboy
10-16-2021, 08:13 PM
Good morning all with tags.Was nice to meet the bull draw holders. How you all making out ?

Is this Brian C?

stixnstones
10-17-2021, 06:58 PM
Nope �� who’s that ?

stixnstones
10-31-2021, 05:38 PM
Any news from tag �� holders ???