PDA

View Full Version : region 8-15 moose

chubbz2020
06-22-2021, 12:29 AM
hello all!
excited to have my first moose draw and in a area that i have no idea about as i just moved here with my wife and newborn daughter(hopefully get her a moose one day)!

region 8-15
October 1-30

not asking for any honey holes just a general idea on where to head out to set some cameras and do some scouting and get my boots on the ground to get my dad a moose that hes always wanted...
ive heard out north fork can be productive for moose but thats a broad area.
thanks for the help in advance look forward to taking my old man out and hopefully get some meat in the freezer.

cheers!

Forks
06-22-2021, 08:09 AM
Congrats on the draw!

I am familiar with the area but have not seen a moose in that region…heard that they do exist there though.
Bunchgrass fsr from north fork to the east. Was up there in the spring and looked like a promising area, was half expecting a moose around each corner. Heard Stewart creek fsr towards Christina lake may hold moose as well.

couple of nice rec sites at the end of north fork (43km) if you plan on staying outside of town.

best of luck!!

tim3500
06-22-2021, 09:22 AM
Seen one outside Midway and Greenwood yesterday

fuzzybiscuit
06-22-2021, 10:15 AM
Head up into the Granby watershed.

I hunted Greenwood for years and we saw them up Boundary Creek quite frequently, but that was 8-14. I’ve spent less time to the east of Boundary but we have been in the top end of 8-15 a bit. There are moose but they are few and far between. I’d shoot the first bull you see and not hold out for a big one because you won’t see too many of them.

I saw a great bull years ago hunting the alpine not far from Jewel Lake. It was the last place I expected to see one.

Good luck!

Monashee
06-22-2021, 01:31 PM
Early October the rut is at the peak so using a moose call is an option , they can come in very stealthily - very quiet for such a big animal , keep in mind there are grizzlies in 8-15 ;-)

You literally can find them anywhere but usually 2500-4500 ft level is a good bet and as mentioned don't hold out for a big bull

cameron0518
06-22-2021, 02:50 PM
No shortage of moose up the Granby. Also have lots of whitetails.

palmer
06-23-2021, 09:08 PM
Great tag to get, sent u a PM

chubbz2020
06-23-2021, 10:39 PM
Thanks a lot for the input everybody. Happy to get the draw and going to put in some work this summer scouting out some areas. Tough to juggle time last year with newborn and house Reno’s so I didn’t get out to explore much . Moved her last year in June. Look forward to checking all the areas. Thanks again everyone, I appreciate it.

chubbz2020
10-03-2021, 12:19 PM
Went out for the last few days. No luck so far. Anyone see any, anywhere?
cheers

Dirty
10-03-2021, 01:42 PM
You need to use the 8-15 moose call made by HP outdoors. You will also need an orange traffic cone. What you do is find a nice dead end cut block to setup. Then you lay the cone on its side with the keyboard behind it and type on it, H-E-R-E M-O-O-S-E. If it doesn’t work try typing faster or slower. This only works in 8-15 so don’t try it elsewhere. Persistence is key.

Rayne
10-03-2021, 02:04 PM
Haven’t hunted that area but I always find moose around small lakes With small openings in the timber away from roads. Cows will be close to water sources bulls won’t be far behind. Hours in the bush equal success