PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the ice...Spatsizi

CheesyLimper
06-21-2021, 07:13 PM
So I'll get the ball rolling with successful draw questions. I have sheep and moose for Spatsizi with a group of us into Coldfish Aug 21. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with where to look for sheep but I'm curious about the moose.
I've flown into northern lakes around that time before and I've usually found moose in the subalpine almost into the alpine. Can I expect that, or should I focus on the lake?

Huntingtyler123
06-21-2021, 07:31 PM
Haha good luck! Wish I could help but no experience

bcmulie
06-22-2021, 08:08 AM
On a mid-September hunt there a few years ago, we saw moose down at the lakes and up high in the subalpine. I'd recommend hunting low...unless you really enjoy long, heavy pack-outs! That said, you are going earlier than we did, and they are more likely to be up high then.

bcmulie

blazing billy
06-22-2021, 10:11 PM
Take a boat, big lake, good fishing and moose at far end of lake where Gladys creek comes in. Seen moose swim across lake to reserve. Seen moose in back country while chasing caribou but too far to pack out. Camp cabins are nice with common cook house with stove and gravity feed running water. Beautiful spot.

4 point
06-23-2021, 03:38 PM
Went to Coldfish lake once. Great fishing for sure where Gladys creek flows into the lake. Beautiful country for sure.

Rob Chipman
06-23-2021, 03:51 PM
So I'll get the ball rolling with successful draw questions. I have sheep and moose for Spatsizi with a group of us into Coldfish Aug 21. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with where to look for sheep but I'm curious about the moose.
I've flown into northern lakes around that time before and I've usually found moose in the subalpine almost into the alpine. Can I expect that, or should I focus on the lake?

Got room in the plane? I got a caribou draw there but planes out of Tatogga are full!

CheesyLimper
06-23-2021, 04:24 PM
Maybe, if you don't mind flying with my kids :smile:

Got room in the plane? I got a caribou draw there but planes out of Tatogga are full!

Rob Chipman
06-23-2021, 04:42 PM
I'm in. I'll sit on their laps! :-)

CheesyLimper
06-23-2021, 06:13 PM
Good idea, get all the traumatic moments out of the way early.

I'm in. I'll sit on their laps! :-)

digger dogger
09-06-2021, 07:27 AM

Did you fly into Coldfish?
How’d you make out?

CheesyLimper
09-06-2021, 07:48 AM
No. When Alpine cancelled their flights I called around in a panic but couldn't find a charter to take us in. I ended up booking with Northern Rockies and flew in with the wife and kids to a lake near the Yukon border. After booking with N Rockies, I did find out Keith Connors was flying out of Iskut but I was already paid up with N Rockies. Had an awesome trip anyway, just got back a few days ago and will put up a story soon.

Did you fly into Coldfish?
How’d you make out?

Brew
09-06-2021, 08:14 AM
That’s good to hear. Glad you made it work out. We ended up getting a ride with Keith but no longer going to coldfish. Picked a random lake and going to make the best of it in two weeks. Looking forward to your story.

digger dogger
09-06-2021, 08:19 AM
No. When Alpine cancelled their flights I called around in a panic but couldn't find a charter to take us in. I ended up booking with Northern Rockies and flew in with the wife and kids to a lake near the Yukon border. After booking with N Rockies, I did find out Keith Connors was flying out of Iskut but I was already paid up with N Rockies. Had an awesome trip anyway, just got back a few days ago and will put up a story soon.

Too bad, you couldn’t do plan A, thank you for the response.
Glad plan B worked out for you and your family.
Also looking forward to the story:-)

cuervosail
09-06-2021, 09:06 AM
That’s good to hear. Glad you made it work out. We ended up getting a ride with Keith but no longer going to coldfish. Picked a random lake and going to make the best of it in two weeks. Looking forward to your story.

Got any contact details for Keith?

Astepanuk
09-08-2021, 06:24 AM

Looking forward to hearing all about your Hunt!!