PDA

View Full Version : EXCALIBUR CROSSBOWS - how much bow is enough?

BANG!
11-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Hi Guys

I've read just about everything there is to read - and I've handled an excalibur crossbow so I know the build quality is very impressive - they're also built here in Canada which is great - but now the impossible question....

How much bow is enough?

The performance tables on the excalibur website suggests you can get the job done on large deer, elk, moose and black bear with a 200 pound bow - so why would I consider a 225 pound model? Is there an advantage in purchasing what appears to be their 'top performance' model (the new Equinox), when logic tells me, that I could take a moose or elk with a well placed arrow from an Exocet 200. The Exocet would also leave me with an additional 100 dollars in my back pocket.

I am 6' 2" tall with long arms so the extra inch length on the Exocet would also seem to be an advantage. The fancy, dancy thumb hole stock on the Equinox doesn't really get any extra points from me. I'll most likely pop one of the excalibur sights on top - and their illuminated reticle looks like it might be useful in low light conditions.

Am I missing some vital piece of information about these cross bows that I simply won't know for another year or two until I gain some hands-on experience with them in the woods? I think I'm leaning towards the Exocet with the scope/accesory package.

What say ye?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom or experience you can share.

brotherjack
11-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Well, for lots and lots of years, folks have been killing critters with arrows that have like half the velocity/KE that ANY Excalibur bow will produce (even the Vixen or Phoenix) - pick one that fits your body and budget, and go hunting. More velocity is kind of nice because the trajectory of the arrow gets flatter and that makes yardage estimation very slightly less critical. But otherwise, it won't make the critter any deader, and it won't make a bad shot good.

I picked up the Phoenix package deal from bowhuntersuperstore (a sponsor of this fine site I might add). Spooky accurate, easy to handle, and will run an arrow clean through a deer/elk/moose/bear etc (assuming I do my part and don't shoot em right in the thick part of the shoulder bones or the like). Mine ran an arrow through a whitetail deer this year, with such authority that I'm not even sure the arrow slowed down much on the way through (I never did find it).

Just my $0.02.

BANG!
11-05-2007, 08:17 PM
"But otherwise, it won't make the critter any deader, and it won't make a bad shot good."

:D LOL! :D

very good points Brother Jack. Even more welcome because you're saying what I'm thinking - so it's reassuring to get some confirmation I'm not out to lunch.

Now let's wait and hear what the other have to say .....8-)

PS - Bowhunter Superstore was in my sights too.

Radar
11-05-2007, 08:22 PM
I have an Excalibur Exomax, I like it, can a bow with a lesser pull do the job, of course. But this bow fit me well, I liked the package and I liked the way it shot. (I tried before I bought).

Find something you like, they can all do the job and practice, practice, practice!

brotherjack
11-05-2007, 08:30 PM
An additional piece of 'hands on' experience pointing to the lack of necessity for 300FPS+ arrows - I used to hunt with a Horton SteelForce, that made about 210/220FPS with the arrow/broadhead combo I was using (350 grain arrow, 125 grain 4 blade Muzzy). I shot a whitetail with it, and it went in one side and out the other.

Velocity is nice, but it's not a necessity.

phoenix
11-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Bang,
I have a Phoenix and on last years muley the bolt went clean through and continued on out into the woods never to be found. 52 yds! Deer jumped twice before keeling over. The bolt passed through ribs on both sides. I have to shoot at individual target dots on my target for each bolt or I ruin too much fletching. I would easily hunt anything in North America with it and not feel underbowed.
Kim

todbartell
11-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Im pretty sure an Exocet is capable of handling an elk or moose at 40 yards in the hands of a good shooter. Anything faster (325+) is just gravy

WoodOx
11-05-2007, 10:02 PM
I shoot a compound bow (hoyt trykon) and although I love it, I tried an excalibur tonight. was awesome, after shooting for 30 minutes I could consistantly group within 2 inches of bullseye at 40 yards.
If I dont have time to practice with the compound might take er out. Was awesome!

Is excalibur basically considered one of the best bows on the market?

Bow Walker
11-05-2007, 10:07 PM
There ya go Bang, lots of experienced input. Go get one and have a ball.

SPEYMAN
11-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Poundage is not as important as speed. Go with the faster bow.

rocksteady
11-06-2007, 11:52 AM
All valid points above....

I shoot a Horton Hunter Elite 175 lb. and it is awesome for accuracy and speed. I chose the Horton over the Excalibur due to personal preference (I thought the width of the Excaliburs at the front end was too wide for me for sneaking through the thick stuff)

Just a consideration, if you buy one, DO NOT try to save money by purchasing bottom end bolts and or broadheads. I have seen it on other sites where guys have an arrow whizzing at 310 fps, but the broadhead is a piece of crap and they blame it on the bow and give up on crossbows. Go with a complete quality package from bow to broadhead and you will not be dissappoinetd..

Speed is great but if your broadhead is junk, you will not be happy...

loki
11-06-2007, 06:06 PM

This is incorrect, as in this case poundage is one of the factors that produce speed.

The Phoenix package is more than enough bow for most animals on this continent. The only thing I'd say is pushing it's limits is Grizzly bear, and even at that point it's a well placed shot that counts.

The Exocet 200 is enough bow for all animals on this continent, and anything more is for that coveted Elephant tag you've been looking to cut. :)

Save yourself the few extra dollars, the new thumbhole models mainly look cool and add no real advantage. They claim to be less "front heavy" but in my opinion they're no less front heavy than the Exocet I shoot, besides having a sling on there can allow you to wrap it around your arm to add more stability than a thumbhole. Just another gimmick to keep their bows at the high end price IMO.

Bowzone_Mikey
11-06-2007, 06:13 PM

I dissagree .... speed is not nearly as important as KE or momentum of the projectile ....

a 300 fps arrow weighing in at 300 grains has far less hitting power than a 500 grain arrow at 225 fps

the most important things are IMHO ... Good Target(ie: a good hit) Good Broadheads (ie: sharp), Good flight of arrow, Kinectic energy/Momentum (enough Jam at the end of the flight to penitrate what you are shooting at)

Now that all said ... 65 foot pounds of KE is plenty to take down anything in BC ...or north America for that matter. All the faster bow will do is buy you an extra 2-3 yards in distance estimating as a margin of error

BANG!
11-17-2007, 10:40 PM
The fine fellows in the Maple Ridge store (Wanstalls) gave me a smoking deal last week (friendly, knowledgable service too) and I walked out with an Exomax under my arm. I was looking at the Exocet as my first choice, but the Exomax was on the shelf and patience is not my strongest trait.

Holy Schmoly are these things accurate. With less than half an hour practicing at the target, you can notch the bolts tightly at 20 metres.

thanks for all the input and suggestions guys - you helped make the choice easy. :-D

loki
11-18-2007, 03:54 AM
Congrats, goo to hear, now comes the pics of its' first trophy ;)

Holy Schmoly are these things accurate. With less than half an hour practicing at the target, you can notch the bolts tightly at 20 metres.

Yup, now you see what the little extra cost was worth ;) Now if you're using the vari (or lumi) zone scope have some fun and walk out to 30 - 40 - and 50 meters (yards, meh). The only thing is if you've scoped the hairs to be your 20 yard (meters, meh) mark, the next arrow is 30, next arrow 40, etc, easy stuff eh? I was dumping to 50 yards the second day with great accuracy, something I've still yet to claim with my compound bow.

So can you cock it without the cocking aid? If so, can you cock it straight? IE: within the same place on the sting every time (watch your owners video, but I mean between the white out marks)? Just curious. I can cock my Exocet, but it's not between the marks, I obviously pull too hard with my dominant arm. Love the fact the aid cocks it perfectly every time no matter how hard you pull to either side.

Enjoy.

dino
11-18-2007, 09:42 AM
I have the exomax by excalbur with the scope package and extras and all I got to say is awesome.There was a bunch of guys shooting at a target 60 meters away in a large hunt camp we were also camped in.they were hitting all over the target I introduced myself and took a shot with my exomax and hit 2 inches below dead centre the other hunters could not believe how flat the bow shot and neither could I .I did have one problem with a graphite arrow that blew apart when i took a shot.

palmer
11-18-2007, 11:38 AM
MR BANG.....First off I have a phoenix..it works great...Now second what about that old Robin Hood thing you were shooting...???? and third ...no crossbows on bowen....so where are you planning on going....Give me all the details...you know rolli has a exomax and he likes it....Did you manage to get one of those bowen island bucks yet...

Palmer

BANG!
11-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi P

I'm still flinging sticks with the recurve on Bowen. The Exomax will need to sleep till it sees its first kill - but not on island of course. I'd love to take a Spring bear next season with the cross-bow - maybe Boston Bar?

The hunting on Bowen is leading up to the rut - but other than seeing little spikers chase the does, there still hasn't been any sign of the Big Boys out in full breeding force. I watched a little spike fork buck wander around me in dense alder yesterday then walk gently away. He wouldn't pay any notice at all to doe oestrus bleats or buck grunts. The day before I had a nice little spiker in my sights 15 yards out - but let him go (the risk of the Wall of Shame was too great). Maybe I'll see him again next year.

I'm heading out to my spot on Bowen today (with the old Robin Hood thing) with the hopes of meeting up with a big necked 4x4 I've sighted recently. I'll have the camera with me just in case.

D

Deerwhacker
11-29-2007, 07:55 PM
I just purchased a equinox and wow the accuracy is deadly, for me its not worth thinking about going to a lower model i always want the best out there (the magnum theory). it shoots redeculously flat and i can hit the bullseye out to 50 yards with the peep.(by the way the thumb hole thing was a definite seller for me after holding both the equinox and the exomax).