PDA

View Full Version : 50" EK moose

CoqTrophys
11-05-2007, 02:52 PM
The hunt began on the 25th of oct 2007 with very little action from our target species. Assuming the rut had wore them out and that they would be hiding out resting for the rest of the winter we knew it was goin to be a tough hunt. We spent a lot of time behind the binos and spotters for the first few days with no moose to be seen. The plan was to keep pounding ground until one of the bulls popped its head out from its comfortable winter hidy hole. That WAS the plan until a good friend told us about the bull he had seen the night before. He told us where it was previously and estimated him to be around 45" wide and roughly a 150 class animal. As you might have guessed we changed our plans and decided to go after the monster that we were told about. It was hard to sleep that night thinking about what might happen the next morning. So after batteling a rough night sleep we headed our way into the basin he had been spotted in. It was still dark by the time we got there but day was breaking fast. As soon as it hit shooting light we lifted our binos and began to glass. Not too long after we began to glass my buddy whispered to me the magic words THERE HE IS!! He was a good mile away, so we planned our stalk and hurried our way toward the giant before he decided to make his way too far from our landmark(due to the rugged terrain it is next to impossible to stalk in a way where you can see the animal at all times). After what seemed like an eternity of stalking we finally reached our position that would put us roughly 200 yards from the animal, but he was nowhere to be found. After waiting in our spot for a few minutes he stepped out of the timber in the exact spot he was first spotted. We estimated the shot to be just under 200 yards, now all he had to do was step out from the timber that was hiding his vitals. No more than 30 seconds passed when he took the step we were waiting for. The 180grain TSX from my 30-06 landed perfectly in the vitals doing its job and more. The monster took off like he wasent even hit, running over pine trees like they werent even there. We knew it was a killing shot so we gave the bull very little time before we went in after him. Plus the crash and thud we heard a minute or so after the shot gave us a good indication he had expired. After a small tracking job of about 75-100 yards we found him laying downhill in the exact position as in the photo. This shiras tank measured in at 50" wide and an official score of 163 4/8" a true rocky mountain warrior.

Now if only B&C recognised them as shiras. Oh well its still a new safari club entrant.

308BAR
11-05-2007, 03:00 PM
That ise awsome! Congrats on the bull.

J_T
11-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Great Bull. Congrats. How was the pack out?

Orangethunder
11-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Awesome bull guys. Thanks for the story and pics.

BCJunior
11-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Big bull, good pic and congratz!

BlacktailStalker
11-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Thats a brute, nice bull!

CoqTrophys
11-05-2007, 05:44 PM
J_TGreat Bull. Congrats. How was the pack out?

JT. the pack out was actually a pleasure compared to what it could have been. He fell a mere 2-300 yards from an old washed skidder road that we were able to squeez my buddies little jimmy into.

J_T
11-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Can't ask for better than that.:p

hunter1947
11-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Very nice set of antlers ,good on you.

gameslayer
11-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Awsome Moose, You got to love those passed on spottings.

boxhitch
11-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Nice going, on a sleepy morning no doubt.

Now if only B&C recognised them as shiras. Oh well its still a new safari club entrant. what are the defineing boundaries for these two?

wolverine
11-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Absolutely awesome. Congrats.:D

porcupine
11-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Great bull whether it's a Shiras or a Canada.

ohno
11-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Nice moose. You can't eat the antlers anyway!

CoqTrophys
11-06-2007, 10:03 AM
boxhitchNice going, on a sleepy morning no doubt.
Quote:
Now if only B&C recognised them as shiras. Oh well its still a new safari club entrant.
what are the defineing boundaries for these two?

Safari Club and Pope & Young cut the boundries off at Hwy 1 for shiras moose in the EK. For some reason B&C cuts its boundries for shiras at the Canada usa boarder. weird I thaught. And i assure you this bull was shot well south of Hwy 1. There are a couple B&C scorers where i shot him and they both said they disagree with the boundries but there is nothing they can do about it. Thanks for all the replies people!

Calamity Jane
11-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Nice moose! Sounds like an exciting hunt too.