PDA

View Full Version : Moose calling in November

Orangethunder
11-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Has anyone had any luck calling bulls in at this time of year? If you did what technique did you use? I am hoping to get my LEH bull this year:roll:.

Thanks

MattB
11-05-2007, 02:00 PM
How about i will tell u where one is when i see it ;). If we have snow track em down...

Orangethunder
11-05-2007, 08:24 PM
How about i will tell u where one is when i see it ;). If we have snow track em down...

Works for me

browningboy
11-05-2007, 08:32 PM
This will be tough as any mature bull will be resting up for the winter after all his battles, he will most likely go the opposite way as he will not want anything to do with another fight, you may gain the interest of a immature as they are quite curious but once the ruts over, its over and alls you're doing is telling the moose where you are.
I could be wrong but found this true from past experiences.:cool:

boxhitch
11-05-2007, 09:41 PM
There is the chance there is a Cow around that did not take on the first go-around, and is still mourning.
But like was said the big bulls will be hiding out in the thick,safe stuff. try the cow calling, but don't look for much of a challenge charge to happen.

Orangethunder
11-06-2007, 08:39 AM
I will try some cow calling and see what happens. More than likely I will be trying to track one down 'spook and shoot' style.

wjh131
11-06-2007, 12:57 PM
We cow called one in yesterday, immature bull, just couldn't get a shot on him.

MB_Boy
11-06-2007, 01:16 PM
OThunder....like I said over on HShoot, I would try and make yourself sound like the most lovesick cow imaginable.

Put the image in your head of an unattractive "cougar" at a night club at 2am who has been there since 7p; shooters and pink wine have been on special all night for her (as it was ladies night) and the DJ just started playing "Stairway to Heaven" for the last dance of the night.....she is lookin' for love and is gonna let EVERYONE know.

Wail away like that.......:wink:

Orangethunder
11-06-2007, 01:55 PM
OThunder....like I said over on HShoot, I would try and make yourself sound like the most lovesick cow imaginable.

Put the image in your head of an unattractive "cougar" at a night club at 2am who has been there since 7p; shooters and pink wine have been on special all night for her (as it was ladies night) and the DJ just started playing "Stairway to Heaven" for the last dance of the night.....she is lookin' for love and is gonna let EVERYONE know.

Wail away like that.......:wink:

For some reason I get the impression that you 'tagged out' not long after the above described stairway to heaven scenerio;-).

Either way I will give it a go, I can skip the perfume and tight dress right:eek:??

dana
11-06-2007, 04:44 PM
OT,
I once had an Oct draw and had dry conditions with very little rutting action. On the last day I finally had snow and cut a bull track which I starting tracking. I made the mistake of bull grunting and he bailed, pushing 2 cows that were bleeding hard from being in heat. He didn't want me to steal his cows. I saw the cows several times during the 4 hour tracking event, but he kept on grunting from inside the timber and off they would go. Never did get a visual on him and ended my season that evening eating tag soup. I thought that was very late rutting action back then, but today I cut cow and a bull track up in Blue and the cow was bleeding quite heavy in her piss. Tracks looked like the bull was dogging her pretty good. She probably was missed the first time around. So your Love Sick Cow call might just be your best bet.

lip_ripper00
11-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Orange
I got back about a week ago from a two week moose hunt, we missed the rut by about 2 weeks (our tags 15 Oct-31Oct). After calling in different places, leaving and returning a few hours later, no tracks no sign nothing! It didn't take us long to realize calling was not going to work. Plan B we started glassing different marshes and slews, the less access the better,before first light and well past shooting light (just looking). And guess what we started seeing bulls. They would stay low in the day time, but come out to feed first and last light. We had temps +25 to -15 over a 2 week period. and a wind storm that had me questioning my sanity sleeping in a tent! So get in to the marshes, place the bulls and with a little luck you can connect,it worked for us.In 11 days we cut 3 LEH bull tags between my group and another buddies group. good luck!!