PDA

View Full Version : Limited Entry Moose Success

beeker
11-05-2007, 10:52 AM
After waiting anxiously for months for my limited entry draw to open up, it finally opened on Nov 1st. My partner and I headed up to a friend's cabin on the night of the 31st and met up with our "guide" for the next couple days. Our guide was actually my roomate's dad who was nice enough to put us up in his cabin and take us into some areas he felt would hold moose.

Morning one was interesting as we managed to get a light dusting of snow right at day break, meaning any track found would be "hot". About an hour in we cut a moose track. After tirelessly tracking it for 5 and a half hours, we came back to the cabin tired, but feeling optimistic.

That evening, we decided that we would head back to the area again for day 2. There was a real nice tree stand in the area that I felt would be a good place to spend some time in. The only problem I discovered on day 1 was that there was no chair in the stand. My guide graciously offered me this old wooden chair that he had kicking around behind the wood shed. The chair was described as "uncle Larry's high chair" . He joked how he always said someone would shoot something from that chair.

Morning 2 arrived and we were headed back up to our destination. We decided that I would go sit in the stand, my buddy would go sit in a stand about a km away and look for a whitetail, and my "guide" was gonna go for a walk and look for his radio he dropped earlier in the week!

I was the first to get dropped off. I strapped on my pack, slung the rifle over my right shoulder, and had "uncle Larry's high chair" under my left arm. I was slowly making my way into the stand when i noticed a few moose nuggets on top of the snow that were not there the day before. I quickly got real excited as I knew the moose had been in the area. I then began moving real slow and looking carefully through the willows and second growth. It was right then when the unthinkable happened... "Uncle Larry's high chair" snagged on a willow and made a loud noise. The bush came alive and a moose spooked. At this point I was choked as I figured I had blown my chances for the day. However, I quickly let out 2 real loud and long cow bawls. After a couple minutes of waiting I heard a noise to my right. I let out one more real desperate sounding cow bawl, and immediately caught a glimpse of movement about 40 yards ahead of me in the second growth. The sun was shining and I then was able to see the reflection of the sun on his antlers.

I got pretty excited as he was moving back towards me. I then realized that he was probably looking for the cow that he had with him the day before and that was the noise I heard to my right. He was slowly walking that way, so I took up a position and decided that when he walked on to the path I would shoot. This wasn't happening too fast so I carefully moved to my right about 5 yards and waited for a shot to present itself. He came out behind some christmas trees, and I said to myself, "don't wait, you can shoot through that shit" So I proceeded to put the hairs on the front half of him that I could see.

Boom, nailed him and he dropped on the spot. The bullet entered high on the front shoulder, and beause i was crouched down, it was on a slight up hill angle the bullet then went right into the spine. I walked, ok I ran up to him, and put another one into his head to finish him off quick. I then let out the loudest cheer ever!!

This is my first moose ever and it is a 7x6 with a 36 inch spread. My partners and I were able to drag him to a little road about 200 yards away whole! I shot him with my Remington 700, 270 using 150 grain core-loct bullets.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd258/rutlandhunter/moosehunt016.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd258/rutlandhunter/moosehunt005.jpg

Orangethunder
11-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Nice work man, glad to here the high chair paid off for you:wink:. Great story and pics, congrats.:lol:

Fisher-Dude
11-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Sweet! That's a nice bull! Congrats on your first moose Beeker (you haven't bagged any "moose" at North 40 before, have you? :wink: )!

Don in BC
11-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Congratulations !! Excellent story. Great bull. Yummmm ! Tasty !!:lol:

Don

Stone Sheep Steve
11-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Congrats JC!!
Those nov. bull draws can be tough to fill.
Good work!!

SSS

308BAR
11-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Looks delicious! Congrats

BigfishCanada
11-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Awesome, what a rush it must have been!

Sharkey
11-05-2007, 11:44 AM
That's awesome Beeker - what a rush it must have been after the chair scared him. Persistence pays off definitely!!
~D

Jagermeister
11-05-2007, 12:01 PM
You and your buddy dragged that moose out to the road and it was in one piece? Anytime you boys want to go hunting, you just let me know?:lol: An ol' phart like me can use grunt like that.:wink:

Phil
11-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Great story! Nice bull! Congrats!

Sieg-MM
11-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Nice Moose Beeks! Good to hear you smoked one early. Wow that guide/outfitter has all the good gear eh.... Uncle Larry's Lucky Chair - unbelievable. You should have used it as as a rest for your shot. :smile:

Your pictures turned out really good. Once again, congrats on the bull. Now it's time to start blazin bucks beeks ;)

BCJunior
11-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Way to go! nice bullll!