PDA

View Full Version : Cow Calf Moose hunt

BigfishCanada
11-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Thursday night my 17 year old nephew and I arrived at our property. We quickly packed up and hit the hills for we have a LEH cow and calf for Nov 1-10. Two weeks ago scouting I counted 5 bulls and 3 cows in two days so things looked promising. Thursday night, we didn’t even see a doe. Friday morning I decided to go off on my own while my nephew drove around with a local. 10 minutes in I start seeing does and small bucks everywhere and I hunted hard all day long, attempting to call at every swamp and area I have seen moose in the past. Nothing, not even one fresh moose track.

Saturday morning we head out with a local which is very familiar with the area, and the weather was perfect, snowing very hard nice big flakes. 1 hour in and my buddy told me to take my nephew up a cut and binoci down below. As soon as we reach the top my nephew says “DEER” so I jump down and find a nice resting area to possibly take a shot. After watching the doe down below I spot a deer following her and see that it has horns.

Its around 300 yards away and at this point my hearts pounding cause I wasn’t sure if it has 4, sure enough I count 4 and decide to take him. One shot with my trusty 30-06 180 grain I blew a hole threw its heart and it falls 3 feet from where I took him. Then I tell my nephew to take his jacket and took, gloves off cause we are going to get hot retrieving this guy.

One hour of work with the help from Marv’s ATV winch we get him up to where I took the shot. Very nice 4 point and it really made me and my nephews time alone more enjoyable. He has never gotten any game before and we both worked hard for this guy and it made us both feel real good that we got to come home with something.

If the wife lets me I’ll be back up next weekend going back for the cow and calf. Over all I saw 30 + does, 7 small bucks, no other game other than chickens. And my nephew says he will hunt for the rest of his life!

Heres the larger pic

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/cadenov20074pt.JPG

pitdog
11-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Nice looking buck, looks pretty big.

Fisher-Dude
11-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Nice looking buck! Good to see you've got the young fella out there with you!

Phil
11-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Way to go on the buck and getting the nephew hooked!

Sharkey
11-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Beauty! It's so great to hear stories with the young folks being involved like that. Makes my heart sing.
~D

BigfishCanada
11-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Well Guys, I couildnt go up for the last two days of our LEH (SHARED) So My bro in law, hopped in his truck and headed to camp. Im happy to say we have MOOSE, first thing this morning he came face to face with a cow and calf, If I was there I would have been able to tag its calf as well, but ones way better than none!!!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Kelly_s_Moose_Nov_10th_2007_LEH_002.jpg

5 spike
11-10-2007, 09:26 PM
nice buck happy there is youths, involved good going guy,s

BCJunior
11-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Nice looking buck, im 17 also and its awesome for guys like us to get out there and hunt it up!

hunter1947
11-11-2007, 06:27 AM
Good on you ,very nice deer congrats.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

M.Dean
11-11-2007, 07:00 AM
Nice moose!!! Luv the Quad!!! ha ha

mtnmax
11-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Awsome job

CooperSscat
11-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Well Guys, I couildnt go up for the last two days of our LEH (SHARED) So My bro in law, hopped in his truck and headed to camp. Im happy to say we have MOOSE, first thing this morning he came face to face with a cow and calf, If I was there I would have been able to tag its calf as well, but ones way better than none!!!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Kelly_s_Moose_Nov_10th_2007_LEH_002.jpg

Great looking buck! I'm happy that your nephew is hooked on hunting now to boot!

Too bad about not being there to harvest the calf. I'm curious though: what are the odds that the calf will make it through the winter?

Enjoy your eating!

Jeremy

BigfishCanada
11-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Well from what i was told it was a two year old, I dont even think what my bro got was a mature one, it was only 310 on the hook. Real small. The calf was the same size, thats why I dont think it was a cow and calf but maybe two sisters

Thunderstix
11-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Very nice. Good to species options when hunting.

M.Dean
11-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Big Fish, I think the second one was a bit smaller, hard to tell in all the excitement! It was a little lighter colour, yet they could have been twins.Should look real good beside the mashed potatoes and gravy!!! As soon as i figger out how to post some pics i'll show you the buck Troy got this morning, real nice 4 pnt. He passed up one last nite, another at first lite, then got this one!! was worth the wait!!! They were moving like i never seen before this morning!!! Was hard to count them!!! I seen nothing worth shooting, lots of time left!!! Sure stinks!!!

CooperSscat
11-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Well from what i was told it was a two year old, I dont even think what my bro got was a mature one, it was only 310 on the hook. Real small. The calf was the same size, thats why I dont think it was a cow and calf but maybe two sisters

Good good then!

I'm hopeful I can fill my bull moose leh this month. I've still not seen a moose and I've been out 6 days in the past few weeks. :mad: Again enjoy your eats!

Jeremy