PDA

View Full Version : big deer/ real big

Tikka7mm
11-05-2007, 12:43 AM
I don't know when, where or who shot this deer but I think it's pretty damn big. I think it's a big whitey in fact? I thought there might be some guys out there interested in taking a gander. Is it just me or is this thing huge. I don't have years of experience just looking for some honest input.

"http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd140/Tikka7mm/watermark.jpg"

Gus
11-05-2007, 11:47 AM
I think the deer is closer than the person ;-)

4pointer
11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
What you're seeing is just the hide being folded. The shaded areas is the actually body of the deer. Just look at the tail, its not in the right place.

MB_Boy
11-05-2007, 11:59 AM
This pic was taken of one of those tiny little Queen Charlotte deer.......the deer is actually tied on to a "hitching post" for your horse. See the feed below....all the hay for the horse.:wink: It is really rainy up there; the deer AND people don't get enough sun to grow. Dwarfism is rampant amongst the deer and people......."carnie's".

Still not sure how the bears and salmon manage to get so big though?

mtnmannbc
11-05-2007, 12:16 PM
For christ sakes, get back to work.

Tikka7mm
11-05-2007, 01:45 PM
What you're seeing is just the hide being folded. The shaded areas is the actually body of the deer. Just look at the tail, its not in the right place.

Yeah. Now that I look at it, it looks like there is some blending going on there...hence the color of the pic. The back legs look too short or something as well.

mtnmax
11-05-2007, 02:02 PM

does someone need a coffee??:lol:

bruin
11-05-2007, 03:13 PM
It looks like the spine has been broken and the deer stretched, maybe it was run over

Iron-Head
11-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Oh come on guys, Spine broken and stretched? That seems a bit far fetched. If you look at the deers back you can see the mans arm in *front* of the deer, Not behind. Look at the animals head as well, seems to go well in proportion with the size of its body. Deer can get that big, Stranger things have happened.
I think we are all a little to quick to jump to conclusions when it comes to pictures:p
Just my two cent$

Trailmaster
11-05-2007, 06:32 PM
That's a white tail for sure.

brian
11-05-2007, 07:57 PM
That's physically impossible Symon. Look at the pitch fork that the guy is practically standing on. It Sits well behind the deer. What you have here is a strong front on flash which is flattening out the image and preventing you from getting adequate visual cues to judge depth from. Look at the guy from the knees up (cover the lower legs with your hand). You will see that it looks like he is standing right next to the post behind him. Now uncover the lower legs and automatically you have a place to put him in space. You can tell he's standing at least 2-3.5 feet in front of the post. The light is traveling in a strait line from its source (which is very slightly off center of the camera). This cast shadow can give us a cue to depth in the image.

Now as for the deer. It's legs are being suspended by rope off the ground. The feet and tail are visually sitting below the guys feet. If that deer was in the same plane as the guy, its ass end would be hitting the ground at the same level where the guys feet do, so a suspended deer's ass should be hanging above his feet. Which means the deer is in front of the guy. How far you can't initially tell because of the flash. But if you follow the pitch fork over to the block it is resting on, you can get an idea of where the guy is in relative position to the block. You can visually tell by comparing the width of the cast shadow from the deer onto the block with the width of the cast shadow of the guy onto the post, that the deer is about as far forward from the block as the guy is from the post. So I'd say the deer is at least 3' forward from the guy. But the shadow angles are really steep, so that distance could be much greater. But 3' is still enough perspective to make the deer appear much bigger than it really is. It's hard to gauge lens length because of the extreme shadows around the edges, but I'm figuring its a decently long enough lens that it will further flatten out the image and put them into the same focal plane of the camera. Thus giving you the illusion of the deers size.

Its a trick we use all the time in visual effects.

Tikka7mm
11-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Wow, that's quite the perspective. Good analysis. I think the hooves/ rear legs look too small as well. There's definitley something weird about the pic. Still a pretty decent buc though.

000buck
11-05-2007, 11:08 PM
this is getting weird looks like a picture to me its not in color so it can't be true but hey let the detective stories die....wow

hunter1947
11-06-2007, 01:42 AM
That is definitely a whitetail deer ,it is a whopper of a deer.

brian
11-06-2007, 08:28 AM
looks like a picture to me

I fake pictures for a living.

MB_Boy
11-06-2007, 10:33 AM

Welcome to the forum!! Nice pics......a buddy of yours posted up a bunch over on sportfishingbc.com

lightmag
11-06-2007, 11:39 AM
i have a bigger whitey hanging on my wall.

Scobo
11-06-2007, 11:42 AM
i 2nd whitetail

bruin
11-06-2007, 01:28 PM
You know, the more I look at it, it looks like it might be photoshopped, zoom in on the deer's back and you can see fuzziness over the shoulder. There is also a line just behind the loin where it looks like the body has been cropped and tried to blend into the background. I can't imagine why it would be done. Hey Simon, the guy is standing on a fork that is behind the buck so I don't see how his arms are infront.Also look at the tail attachment, it is in an unatural position.
And I agree, definitely a whitetail.

bruin
11-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Never mind I was late with that post, Brian said it all. Thanks for coming out Simon:D

Will
11-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Oh well Congrats to whomever he is on a Decent Whitetail Buck !

If I'm ever bored enough to over analize a pic on the intraweb of a Dink Buck..........someone please Kill me:???:

mrdoog
11-06-2007, 07:26 PM
"...someone please Kill me"

You got yourself a deal:
I'll be Col. Mustard and I'll hit you with the candlestick in the Study.

David Heitsman
11-06-2007, 10:40 PM
My guess is the deer was splayed fur side up with his legs still under him
and rigormortis (sp?) set in. Somehow he looks stiffed up to me.

Will
11-06-2007, 11:57 PM
"...someone please Kill me"

You got yourself a deal:
I'll be Col. Mustard and I'll hit you with the candlestick in the Study.
:biggrin:................